• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is Tomb Raider: Angel of darkness???

marsomega

Just curious about it. Went to Walmart and got their at the same time they were restocking their DVD's so I wouldn't be left without a copy of Wonder Woman Season 1 DVD set. As I glanced in the computer games section waiting for my friend to finally pick something out in the dvd section I came across this.

Walmart had Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness marked down from $9.78 or what not to $4.77. Next to such classics such as Math 7 8 9 and Deer Terminator 3D Extreme Ultra etc.. etc..

This is the PC version. Was tempted since I've seen the title used as a benchmark for DX9 games.. Whats the low down on this game?

I played the dreamcast version (the demo) and HATED it (Tomb Raider Chronicles, I think it was called ). I only played it for 4 minnutes and threw it aside since I DETESTED the controls and how she automattically put her back against the wall when all I wanted to do was run across a narrow cave or freaking jump....

How is this little dark gem? How is the eye candy? Is it worth 4.77?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I played the dreamcast version (the demo) and HATED it. I only played it for 4 minnutes and threw it aside since I DETESTED the controls and how she automattically put her back against the wall when all I wanted to do was run across a narrow cave or freaking jump....

There is no Dreamcast version...

I liked AoD, despite the flaws. Good adventure game with beautiful locales, good level design, and plenty of variety. The controls are quite akward, but you can soon master them. The PC version, however, has older "tank" controls (unlike the full analog PS2 version). The game is absolutely beautiful on both systems, though, and also has some fantastic music.

I can't recommend it to most people, as the game has issues. However, like I said, it can be an enjoyable experience if you give it time...you just have to realize that it is a flawed game.

I will say this, though...it is actually my favorite game in the series. It really just needed more development time. The ideas were often sound, but certain aspects are unfinished (such as hand to hand combat and stealth).

marsomega

Iceman said:
angel of darkness wasn't on the dreamcast... are you sure you demo'd the same game?

NO NO NO..
I played a version of Tomb Raider on the dreamcast. I forgot which one but it was on the demo disc that came with it. I think it was Tomb Raider Chronicles...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
marsomega said:
NO NO NO..
I played a version of Tomb Raider on the dreamcast. I forgot which one but it was on the demo disc that came with it.

It could only have been 4 or 5. I also played a DC demo of the game, and didn't like it. AoD is far better than those two games...

wipeout364

I liked Angel of Darkness. It was far from the game it should have been, and I probably only liked it since it was Tomb Raider. It has serious flaws, and controls poorly. But the level design wasn't bad and it made some changes from the Tomb Raider.

I'd give it 7/10 for tomb Raider fans, 5/10 for most people and 3/10 if you didn't like previous iterations of tomb raider.

Iceman

As a tomb raider fanatic, I liked it... haven't finished it yet so I'm very interested in picking it up at that price.. walmart eh?

Top Bottom