• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone watch attack on titan?

I've been watching attack on titan for a bit after seeing so much praise on it but my god is it bad...

Constant flashbacks and self reflections every episode. "omgggg how did I let this happen" or "Im a coward, I have to be strong!!!" with a freeze frame of 30 seconds.

The story is slow as fuck, even worse than dragonball. Im about 10 episodes in. Does this get any better or what?

Also is there a supercut somewhere with the intro and outro removed and those stupid interludes, feels like they are as long as the episode itself.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah they milked it to death. It started in 2013 lmao, 11 years ago and it should've ended in 2018 but they dragged and stretched it as much as they could but fans still ate it up. Welcome to modern animes. Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer and other will all suffer the same fate. Its why I cant watch modern animes anymore no matter how good they may be. Too much garbage between the good stuff. Watching classics is a superior experience besides the fact that the protagonists back then were fucking cool instead of the modern cry baby protagonist that complains nonstop and is only cool once.

Ulysses 31

Only watched Season 1 and it didn't feel that way to me.... đź‘€

Heard some bad things some of the later seasons though... :messenger_winking_tongue:

I'll probably give season 2 a try since the series is done now.

demigod

I've been watching attack on titan for a bit after seeing so much praise on it but my god is it bad...

Constant flashbacks and self reflections every episode. "omgggg how did I let this happen" or "Im a coward, I have to be strong!!!" with a freeze frame of 30 seconds.

The story is slow as fuck, even worse than dragonball. Im about 10 episodes in. Does this get any better or what?

Also is there a supercut somewhere with the intro and outro removed and those stupid interludes, feels like they are as long as the episode itself.
Let me tell you about this anime called Naruto.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
yeah i checked it out to see what all the hype was about made about 4eps and thought.. yeah this is why i don't watch anime anymore

Pejo

Yeah they milked it to death. It started in 2013 lmao, 11 years ago and it should've ended in 2018 but they dragged and stretched it as much as they could but fans still ate it up. Welcome to modern animes. Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer and other will all suffer the same fate. Its why I cant watch modern animes anymore no matter how good they may be. Too much garbage between the good stuff. Watching classics is a superior experience besides the fact that the protagonists back then were fucking cool instead of the modern cry baby protagonist that complains nonstop and is only cool once.
Agree with most of your points, but I think Demon Slayer is one of the few shounen anime that still has pretty tight pacing. They definitely do the "character is about to die, so let's do a flashback so you can feel sad for them", but outside of those it's pretty lean.

Stitch

Gold Member
first season has weird pacing, second season is much better. or maybe you could just watch the compilation movies.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
it's pretty lean.
Just Wait Episode 5 GIF by Paramount+

MayauMiao

I like AoT a lot more when the it was taken place on Paradis Island. Somehow the magic of AoT world lost and the show felt somewhat different the moment they went step foot on the mainland.

I wish some studio would make an adaptation of another AoT spin-off that I enjoyed reading:

55ea04adda6864c7265a53ab68aa2248.jpg

I was completely fine watching it in 2013. I think TikTok has rotted your brain. One of the best directors in the industry worked on S1 with some of the best animation sequences of the decade.

Remember telling my boy about Attack on Titan in the club in 2011 when I read the manga and he was like "It sounds shit lad." & then when the anime dropped he was loving it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dragon ball I didn’t like was just some dudes staring at each other screaming. Then killing each other but not really and then the other person transforms to ultimate form to only transform again

Video Games GIF by GIPHY Gaming

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I know it's a manga, but let's not forget berserk is entering its "final phase", which will be as long as the entirety of attack on titan.

Replacement dude is going to die before they finish that shit.

I was completely fine watching it in 2013. I think TikTok has rotted your brain. One of the best directors in the industry worked on S1 with some of the best animation sequences of the decade.

Remember telling my boy about Attack on Titan in the club in 2011 when I read the manga and he was like "It sounds shit lad." & then when the anime dropped he was loving it.
what the hell are you talking about tiktok? I don't use that garbage and what does that have to do with my points. The animation is pretty nice agreed, but the story and especially the flow is horrendous in the episodes I've seen.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Bro drop it now, I finished the manga and the ending completely ruined it for me. One of the worst endings to a show ever.

dave_d

So it kind of starts off as a very stereotypical action anime but that last season definitely goes in a completely different direction. (Which I enjoyed.)
I'm figuring the people that didn't like the ending pretty much wanted the most stereotypical by the numbers ending where they fight stronger and stronger titans until they fight the king titan or something like that. Then have Mikasa and Erin go off and have babies afterwards. Yeah if that's what you wanted it really doesn't end up like that.

FeralEcho

Some really bad takes in this thread...I can understand feeling the overall show being uneven quality wise but complaining Season 1 is slow when literally the first episode iswhere shit hits the fan? Wtf are y'all smoking while watching it cuz that must be some good ass shit.

Drunk On One GIF

Last edited:

Fbh

This is one of the reasons I mostly stick to manga. The pacing is usually much better.
AOT S1 is a perfect example, you can really see them stretching the budget with lots of still frames and a slow pacing. Like there's one painfully bad chapter around the middle of S1 where Armin goes on a monologue for 15-20 minutes, in the manga you read through that same sequence in 2 minutes so it doesn't even feel annoying.

That said manga can also suffer from bad pacing, specially long running series with big casts. One Piece these days takes months to advance the plot because every chapter has to show what is happening in like 5 locations at the same time and every story development needs to be reacted to by 94 different characters

Oberstein

Beyond the slow pace, I can't watch modern anime anymore. It's just that I've seen anime from the Golden Age, and I'm not interested in anything that comes along. Probably age.

Madflavor

Attack on Titan is a perfectly fine story, that is immensely elevated by a very talented animation studio and composer. It's a lightning in a bottle show where you had all the right people at every corner working on a project, and it becomes something special. Personally I didn't love it. I just didn't find the setting interesting, and I didn't like the Main 3 characters, especially Eren and Mikasa. Eren was just an aggressive unlikeable asshole, and Mikasa was the most pathetic fucking simp for a guy I've ever seen. Especially a guy who is by all accounts, a very bad person. Guts was a total asshole in Berserk, but you understood why, and he grows into a better person over time. Same goes for Thorfinn in Vinland Saga.

Eren is just a cunt, and died like a cunt too. I think it was the supporting cast that really held that show's story together.

Also the story is just depressing. It goes from hopelessness, to more hopelessness, then to hopelessness, then to levity, then back to hopelessness. Then almost everyone dies, but "hey we managed to make things not suck for awhile before it goes to shit again." It's just such a pessimistic story. I'm sure that's a weird criticism coming from a guy who obviously loves Berserk, a much darker story. But struggling against the darkness is the central theme of Berserk. That you embrace life's struggle and find the strength to carry your own heavy sword of hope.

The message of Attack on Titan is:

So the story just didn't land for me. But again, it's production quality can't be denied.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I tried watching it and I think I forced myself through most of the first season. The twist at the end of who the giants were and the constant cringe inducing screaming eventually became too much for me. If that's the best anime has to offer, then anime has failed.

The writing of AOT is 10/10. It's ok you don't like the show for whatever reasons, but claiming that this has no quality is completely dumb, like saying The Godfather or Breaking Bad are mediocre. It's that level of wrong.

Music, characters' arcs, action, plot twists, worldbuilding, everything fits seamlessly. As a writer, I feel envy for Isayama and pity for those who can't appreciate this masterpiece.

And the ending is perfect, just like Breaking Bad's. You don't see shows with this level of consistency.

Muffdraul

I somehow made it through the first season, many years ago. I tried to do the second season, just couldn't. Literally couldn't. If you put a gun to my head I would have said "Just fuckin' shoot me."

what the hell are you talking about tiktok? I don't use that garbage and what does that have to do with my points. The animation is pretty nice agreed, but the story and especially the flow is horrendous in the episodes I've seen.
I was insulting you and saying you don't have the attention span bro. lol. At the time when I read it in 2011 AoT was incredibly fresh and original, perfectly mixing typical Shounen shit with the now tired survival genre. It was honestly incredible. These days it looks less impressive.

Just watch Jujutsu Kaisen instead or Chainsaw Man. Probably better pacing for you.

RaptorGTA

yea. It made me laugh out loud/ yell at the screen when a group of people are having a reflection moment in the middle of battle. Like in the time of this emotional dialogue or flashback..someone should have been eaten.

I did enjoy the first season...but the pacing was odd.

Bojji

Lets say the ending does not pay off at all. Season 1 is the best part of the series.

I think it was great.

I have watched S1 in 2013, then was reading manga for like ~2 years.

Completely forgot about it for next few years... and then returned for S2 and S3. Watched the rest when it premiered.

One of the best stories ever showed on the screen in my opinion.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I watched the first season. It was interesting at first. I felt the same about Terra Formars. I do better with manga than watching anything.

yea. It made me laugh out loud/ yell at the screen when a group of people are having a reflection moment in the middle of battle. Like in the time of this emotional dialogue or flashback..someone should have been eaten.

I did enjoy the first season...but the pacing was odd.
Yep hated it. I just read the synopsis on Wikipedia. Not going to waste my time more on this.

Horatius

man this is ignorant. not only dumb on its face (the show is literally high octane from the start with some of the most banger opening episodes in all of anime so calling it slow is ???) but as it progresses it becomes one of the most tightly plotted and well characterised bits of popular fiction ever written

every detail you're complaining about has payoff in both plot and later character arcs, the attention to detail in plotting is kind of awe inspiring when you realise the full totality of the effort it would have required by the climax of the story; minor characters go through more satisfying growth and change than the main characters of most stories; the plot flips and turns on its head in spectacular fashion multiple times to the point where the series is one of the best zombie stories, war stories, science fiction stories, and horror stories all at the same time; the run from s3 episode 16 - s4 episode 5 is genuinely some of the greatest television ever made across all genres and mediums

seriously everyone even slightly interested in some great fucking science fiction ignore this and give it a shot

Madflavor

The writing of AOT is 10/10. It's ok you don't like the show for whatever reasons, but claiming that this has no quality is completely dumb, like saying The Godfather or Breaking Bad are mediocre. It's that level of wrong.

Music, characters' arcs, action, plot twists, worldbuilding, everything fits seamlessly. As a writer, I feel envy for Isayama and pity for those who can't appreciate this masterpiece.

And the ending is perfect, just like Breaking Bad's. You don't see shows with this level of consistency.
Personally I think it's laughable to compare Attack on Titan to The Godfather or Breaking Bad, but you do you.

As a writer, I feel envy for Isayama and pity for those who can't appreciate this masterpiece.
Don't pity me, I'm doing just fine. Got lots of great stories to appreciate.

BlackTron

I was already slipping from anime fandom when everyone started freaking out over how amazing this show is. Yeah I watched a bunch of it and got turned off from anime in general for years. I'm just sick of all these tropes. I get why some people don't mind them but it's grating for me.

Top Bottom