• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone watch attack on titan?

Bojji

I was already slipping from anime fandom when everyone started freaking out over how amazing this show is. Yeah I watched a bunch of it and got turned off from anime in general for years. I'm just sick of all these tropes. I get why some people don't mind them but it's grating for me.

Tropes? AoT is very light on typical anime bullshit/fanservice, it's almost non existent (and I hate it as well after 20 years of watching anime, starting with the best ones like Cowboy Bebob and Evangelion...). Main story is the central focus and protagonist is not even the protagonist most of the time...

Overall, AoT is one of the best Animes (and mangas) ever made. In my opinion even among best stories ever told in cinema/tv.

Trilobit

Manga is the superior form of media minus a few anime only series
Do you also consider this to be the superior form av television?

9a26af3e5b30b94229f73e64a3d579f6.jpg

The b/w artwork of manga always reminds me of what a cheap form of media it is.

Last edited:

Bojji

It only comes from story changes that directors have made for whatever reason and fillers, it can have 1:1 story of manga.

Anime is superior in every way, you have: colors, animations, voices, sounds and MUSIC

Berserk is associated with god tier OST that is from (above average) anime from 1997:

Last edited:

BlackTron

Tropes? AoT is very light on typical anime bullshit/fanservice, it's almost non existent (and I hate it as well after 20 years of watching anime, starting with the best ones like Cowboy Bebob and Evangelion...). Main story is the central focus and protagonist is not even the protagonist most of the time...

Overall, AoT is one of the best Animes (and mangas) ever made. In my opinion even among best stories ever told in cinema/tv.

There's an old expression we all know "work expands to fill the time allotted to it"

AoT is an example of "Anime expands to fill the patience that will tolerate it"

lachesis

Gold Member
I think I would have loved more if I binged it. The waiting game after S2 kinda killed the excitement, as I already read the manga.
The biggest issue that I had with this manga was that everyone looked the same. Half of time, I couldn't tell who's who. At least Anime version makes people more distinguishable with different hair color...

Paltheos

It varies wildly really.

Attack on Titan is a good example of the video medium elevating source material by a lot. Attack on Titan's art and animation are leagues better than the original books'. A fantastic soundtrack that booms at all the right times and all-around solid voicework also help quite a bit.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you have something like Berserk, where Miura's art is was :( just impossibly detailed for any animation studio to realistically replicate in motion and for hundreds of minutes.

Even the ideal though isn't as clear cut as you might think. The original author's vision can be stymied by a myriad of factors at the time (mostly related to time and the crunch). I'm reminded of the recent Bleach adaptation which adds some cool material in. This example though benefits from the manga already being long over so the author is capable of being more hands-on.

Top Bottom