• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can it be legal for Apple to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

So I go to place an order for an iPod and dock online and figure hey it's online, there wont be any sales tax so I'll just save the 20 bucks and wait a week or two to get it. I go to checkout and pick my shipping rate (free) and my total says $304.00. I put in my VISA info and all then submit my order and BAM, I'm greeted with an "estimated tax amount" and no option to click "cancel" or anything.

How can they legally do this? I agreed to pay the $304.00 listed and after I'd agreed to that price, they charged me an additional 20 dollars and didnt give me a chance to confirm I was okay with that. Had I known I'd be taxed, I would have gone down to the Apple store at the mall and bought it there and had it the next day. I dont so much mind the fact they charge tax on their online store, but the fact they charge you AFTER you've okayed a certain price seems highly suspicious to me and very dodgy. And then the fact you can't say no to that charge or cancel your order online immediately is even MORE shadey.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Subtotal
Please note that your subtotal does not include sales tax or rebates.

That's on the "Review your order page," right under the list of things you put in the cart, well above the "Checkout" button.

Just sayin'. It's probably not the most graceful way to go about it, but it's not like they explicitly hide the fact that you'll be paying sales tax.

Meier

Okay, I admittedly didnt ever notice that because its in a smaller type face, but even if I had, how can they NOT include the price with the tax anywhere before you've checked out? That's like a store not indicating any tax anywhere but on your receipt after it's printed. Would any place do that? Of course not.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Meier said:
Okay, I admittedly didnt ever notice that because its in a smaller type face, but even if I had, how can they NOT include the price with the tax anywhere before you've checked out? That's like a store not indicating any tax anywhere but on your receipt after it's printed. Would any place do that? Of course not.

Most, if not all online places don't include tax until you've entered your billing information, as it can swing wildly from one state to the next.

Phoenix

Try this - call them and tell them you want to cancel your order and you won't have to pay anything and you can go get your order from the store.

Meier

xsarien said:
Most, if not all online places don't include tax until you've entered your billing information, as it can swing wildly from one state to the next.

Right, but once you've put in your shipping information, a tax amount is listed BEFORE you confirm your order like at EBgames. You select your shipping service and it spits out a tax amount. Apple's store does nothing of the sort and there is no amount listed with the tax included until after you've confirmed your order at whatever price is in your cart + shipping.

Meier

Phoenix said:
Try this - call them and tell them you want to cancel your order and you won't have to pay anything and you can go get your order from the store.

Yeah I did try to call minutes after I'd placed my order but they're closed down their phone lines about 5 minutes before. I'm going to call them again and I submitted a "tech support" cancellation email as well but that involves a middleman too instead of the instant option to remove an order like say Amazon.com.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Well, you said you were going to just go down to the store to buy one anyway, right? ;) You may as well keep the order live, Apple's shipping out of China is fucking FAST. By the time you get everything sorted out, it may be in the FedEx truck, on its way to your place.

fart

Savant
just refuse delivery of the package when it shows up. and why didn't you get it student discount? that's one reason to order from apple instead of going to best buy

fart

Savant
dock is 30 bucks? what a rip.

your bookstore should give you the discount with ID. i agree with CP that you might as well just wait for the apple one to show up though. they're shipping it air from china so it will show up basically immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom