• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you market a movie with a lot of bad reviews? You lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the new ad for the Village where they say, in text and voiceover:

"Ebert and Roeper call it one of the year's best movies."

Lie. Ebert hates it. Roeper said that it was one of the year's best. And they can't claim they were just quoting the show, because that would have read "Ebert and Roeper calls it one of the year's best movies."

I've seen this kind of thing before, but not this bad. For example, on the video for Austin Powers 2, it has a quote from Ebert saying "big laughs!", when in fact he did not reccommend it and the context was: "There are some big laughs in "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me," but they're separated by uncertain passages of noodling. You can sense it when comedians know they have dead aim and are zeroing in for the kill. You can also sense it when they don't trust their material."

Still, at least it is not a lie like this ad.

All in the marketing....they take quotes out of context, like If I said this movie had the best SFX this year but sucked big coneky balls. this turns into "Best SFX of the year" - GWM.

Nothing new....not REALLY lying. Sony got caught blantly lying a couple of years ago though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Another technique I've seen is using really small rural newspapers and obscure cable tv shows for quotes. They have something like "The best comedy this summer..." and then the source of the quote is soooo small its almost fine print.

"Isn't the show called "Ebert and Roeper"? I know it's marketing and they try to confuse you, but it's still true."

No it's not true. They say Ebert and Roeper call it. If they were referring to the show and not trying to deceive you into thinking they both liked it, they would have said Ebert and Roeper calls it. As in "the show" calls it blah blah. I don't buy that they didn't know the proper grammar. It's a lie they think they can get away with because it has some truth in it, but make no mistake, it is a deliberate lie.

Mason

Companies have also been known to create fake critics with fake quotes. This kind of stuff isn't anything new.

Jim Bowie

Another ploy is to find magazines that are completely off topic.

Best example: Catwoman is "The best action movie of the summer", according to Wireless Phones Monthly

Jim Bowie said:
Another ploy is to find magazines that are completely off topic.

Best example: Catwoman is "The best action movie of the summer", according to Wireless Phones Monthly

You caught that too?

Well haven't bad movies always been guilty of cutting and pasting good reviews out of bad ones? I remember that show Critic always poking fun at such practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom