• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the new Def Jam game?

I have King Of Colloseum 2, which rocks. But, I could go for something different as well and I have the cash laying around. How is Def Jam? Allot of fun? I'm not into Hip hop much, but I would like a fun, easy to get into game with lots of bone breaking moves and decent AI. Is that Def Jam? Hows the player creation?

evil ways

It's more of a fast paced, arcade fighting game than a technical wrestling sim, so if you're looking for that, with a nice Create Mode and a decent story, you'll like it. It was a nice 24 hour rental and I enjoyed it for the few hours or so I played it but I wouldn't pay $50 for it, maybe $25.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Player creation is nuts.

It's not a wrestling game anymore. I can't stress that enough - I know how your tastes run. :)

As far as straight fighting goes, it's one of the most fun titles out there.

Kingpen

Biff, from the posts that I have seen you post in the past, and sensing your love for wrestling/grappling games, I would highly recommend DJ:FFNY. Just don't go into it expecting something akin to a classic wrestling game. This game is a fully realized "Fight Club" type of game with wrestling elements in it. The CAW is very nice... very very nice. The one player story mode is badass. You've already got your fix with KOC2 for wrestling. Get this game as not only a compliment to that, but as a game that really fits into its own genre as far as grappling games go. I guarantee you don't have anything that is really similar to it in your collection. The interaction with the environment is so crucial, it is almost like someone fused PowerStone and a wrestling game together, but not literally.
You saved me 50 bucks by telling me not to get LOW:Showdown, Now I'm paying back the favor by telling you to go grab the game at Target this week for 50 and you get a 10 giftcard thrown in. Hence the game is only 40.

GO GET THIS GAME! You won't regret it...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
How in the FUCK do you counter grapple attempts in this game? Once again cursed by a shitty manual....

Kingpen

It is either control stick toward opponent and the block button, or it is throwing a well timed punch or kick the split second before the opponent throws his grapple at you. I can't remember exactly. Ask Henry Rollins. He is waiting for you to get your ass to the gym... lol

Kingpen said:
Biff, from the posts that I have seen you post in the past, and sensing your love for wrestling/grappling games, I would highly recommend DJ:FFNY. Just don't go into it expecting something akin to a classic wrestling game. This game is a fully realized "Fight Club" type of game with wrestling elements in it. The CAW is very nice... very very nice. The one player story mode is badass. You've already got your fix with KOC2 for wrestling. Get this game as not only a compliment to that, but as a game that really fits into its own genre as far as grappling games go. I guarantee you don't have anything that is really similar to it in your collection. The interaction with the environment is so crucial, it is almost like someone fused PowerStone and a wrestling game together, but not literally.
You saved me 50 bucks by telling me not to get LOW:Showdown, Now I'm paying back the favor by telling you to go grab the game at Target this week for 50 and you get a 10 giftcard thrown in. Hence the game is only 40.

GO GET THIS GAME! You won't regret it...

Wow, thank you for the polite and informative reply. Also thanks to Evil Wyas and Bish for replying. I will get Vendetta tomorrow morning. You are right, I already have my puro fix with KOC 2. I'm loving that, El Samurai VS Lyger is just fun as hell...but, I've seen a few videos for Vendetta and I'd just like some ass kicking gameplay. Thanks again!

Fifty

DarienA said:
How in the FUCK do you counter grapple attempts in this game? Once again cursed by a shitty manual....

Punch of kick them right as they're about to grab you.

Oh, and Biff....if it's ass kicking you want you're in luck. This game has some animations that are just brutal..Especially the environmental stuff.

DarienA

Geez I can't do anything to the first boss already... <sigh> this is gonna be a long frustrating struggle...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Full game is pretty good. I still feel the gameplay is too fast...and the AI is sooooooooooooooo damn cheap at times. So very, very, very cheap. Controller busting cheap.

Nice buy at 20 bucks, 50 = no no. Tons of ways to alter your look, but no real way to control what moves you want to do besides your Blazin' move. Still pretty fun. 7.0-7.5 from me =P

bishoptl said:
Player creation is nuts.

It's not a wrestling game anymore. I can't stress that enough - I know how your tastes run. :)

As far as straight fighting goes, it's one of the most fun titles out there.

It's not a wrestling game.... because it's not in a ring anymore....

But that doesn't mean it doesn't play like it.

First: Some stages have people around you with posts. First think of the people as ropes... When you throw somebody at the ropes... they'll swung back at ya. You Can also throw people into posts and do all sorts of wrestling moves.

It's kinda like what Backyard wrestling should have been.

DarienA

Wow I don't mind the game speed but I do mind that the AI can whiff an attack combo and still grapple me before I am able to grapple them. Yet try the reverse, there's a delay between when you finish your whiffed combo and when you can attempt a grapple.... AKI... AI left over from last generation.

Color me disappointed.

LakeEarth

DarienA said:

You're telling me, 12 PAGES!?!? 12!!!!

And the controller shows how to attack and how to attack while getting up, but nothing about getting to the top rope/reversals/grapple attacks/picking someone off the ground and many more.

Kingpen

Also, Biff the way they created this game versus AKI's past efforts is a different approach. Think of this game as something you would have found pumping quarters into in the arcade. To go along with this theme, the computer totally no-sells all of your moves and can be labeled cheap. I think the developers went with this approach to keep the hard hitting constant action theme going. But it isn't cheap enough to get pissed at. Just keep practicing with the control scheme and then you can wax the cpu with ease Just seeing the hard hitting moves that this game has is enough to justify getting it and keeping it in your collection along your other wrestling games. In no other game can you hurl your opponent into the crowd only to see a crowd member bust a bottle or pool cue over his head to help you out because the crowd "likes you" cause of your rep and the amount of money you have invested in your appearance. You will find things that you may think suck with the game because of what we have been used to with other wrestling games, including AKI's previous efforts, but DJ:FFNY isn't a wrestling game, so the comparisons shouldn't be made. It is a dam fun game though, and on fun factor alone it is one of my GOTY contenders. And I don't even have anyone to play it with either, just playing 1P.

DarienA

I'm honestly considering (holds breath) bumping this game down to easy just to go through the story mode til I get more comfortable with the control system... because Ice T stomped this hit out of me more times than I can count last night... I boosted my speed up and that helped alot(I hadn't bothered to bump up my CAW's speed), so maybe I'll give it one more shot.

Question is... since he seems to be a "boss" character does the difficulty then go back down slightly for other regular fights, then ramp back up for another boss fight? Or does it stay at his level going forward?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DarienA said:
I'm honestly considering (holds breath) bumping this game down to easy just to go through the story mode til I get more comfortable with the control system... because Ice T stomped this hit out of me more times than I can count last night... I boosted my speed up and that helped alot(I hadn't bothered to bump up my CAW's speed), so maybe I'll give it one more shot.

Question is... since he seems to be a "boss" character does the difficulty then go back down slightly for other regular fights, then ramp back up for another boss fight? Or does it stay at his level going forward?

The boss fights do seem quite a bit harder (aka cheapers than shit). If you think Ice-T is tough, Crack was a MOFO. He would bust out the pedigree which owns 1/4 of your health and boosts his meter up like 40%. It's insanely CHEAP.

Wanna know how to beat this game? Do your best to do wall move after wall move after wall move. All the CPU tries to do.

DarienA

Kintaro said:
The boss fights do seem quite a bit harder (aka cheapers than shit). If you think Ice-T is tough, Crack was a MOFO. He would bust out the pedigree which owns 1/4 of your health and boosts his meter up like 40%. It's insanely CHEAP.

Wanna know how to beat this game? Do your best to do wall move after wall move after wall move. All the CPU tries to do.

How do you even climb the turnbuckle? The manual is just absolute garbage....

Kingpen

run toward the corner and keep pushing the stick in that direction. That should allow you to get on the turnbuckle. Yeah... I just keep boosting your stats on your CAW to deal with Ice-T... I had problems with him, and with Crack... It it just made me that much more motivated to get after him more. Concentrate on the timing of your moves and the distance you are at in reference to your opponent and things will get easier. Oh yeah, grab as many weapons as you can too. Just wait how mad you will be when Crack throws 2 pedigrees in a row on you before you have the chance to get up... LOL

DarienA

The manual says the punch or the kick button will pick up objects... but it doesn't always seem to work... do I have to press in a specific direction to pick up an object?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The Bookerman said:
It's not a wrestling game.... because it's not in a ring anymore....

But that doesn't mean it doesn't play like it.

The lack of a ring is insignificant next to the watering down of the grappling mechanics... pressing a direction to execute a grapple move doesn't make a difference, only one main grappling move as apposed to a different one based on what direction is pressed. Perhaps this had to be down for balancing purposes with all the new play styles but it still sucks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DarienA said:
The manual says the punch or the kick button will pick up objects... but it doesn't always seem to work... do I have to press in a specific direction to pick up an object?

I think you have to press the right analog stick in (on Xbox version at least) to pick up items

DarienA

levious said:
The lack of a ring is insignificant next to the watering down of the grappling mechanics... pressing a direction to execute a grapple move doesn't make a difference, only one main grappling move as apposed to a different one based on what direction is pressed. Perhaps this had to be down for balancing purposes with all the new play styles but it still sucks.

Did you just start playing? Depending on your style you don't have all of the grapple moves your character has available at the start from what I've been told.

Wario64 said:
I think you have to press the right analog stick in (on Xbox version at least) to pick up items
I picked up the PS2 version because I figured there would be alot of trigger use in this game and I prefer the DS2 controller in those instances.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DarienA said:
Did you just start playing? Depending on your style you don't have all of the grapple moves your character has available at the start from what I've been told.

Yes I did, I'll remain optimistic then.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Kintaro said:
Full game is pretty good. I still feel the gameplay is too fast...and the AI is sooooooooooooooo damn cheap at times. So very, very, very cheap. Controller busting cheap.

Nice buy at 20 bucks, 50 = no no. Tons of ways to alter your look, but no real way to control what moves you want to do besides your Blazin' move. Still pretty fun. 7.0-7.5 from me =P

I totally agree. Gameplay is way too fast, combine that with cheap super AI means this game is going back to EB. Everything else is great, the cutscenes, the un-lockables, the graphics, but the gameplay is where the game disappoints. I would rather be playing NBA Live other than playing this cheap AI. If I did coke, maybe I could keep up with the speed of this game.

I agree about the shitty manual. Seems like EA is putting less in manuals in order to sell strat. guides.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
ok, I opened this bitch and at the beginning of it, I hated it , because I hate opening games that suck, but after playing it a little it got easier....

then I went into story mode.... holy shit did this get hard as hell... I was soo frustrated, but at some point I just GOT IT, and started kicking serious ass, Once I beat Ice T, I basically walked through the other guys up until I got to Fat Joe, he was a little hard, but I beat him the third time I played him..... I do alot of punching and kicking followed by a grapple, then i pick up and throw them into whatever is close... Also the story mode is VERY NICE, i like it , and I never thought shopping would be so much fun... I have bling all over me and my gear is SERIOUS, so the crowd tears my opponent up when I throw him at them.... also the subway match was crazy.... I didnt know at first that you could use the train.... and when I kicked him down on the tracks I heard the train coming but didnt think he would get Killed by it...... so far I am loving it...

DarienA

Malley how do you deal with that the AI seems to at least for me block alot of my punch kick combo's, do you immediately try to go in to another combo? It just seems like there's a hesitation point and that's when the computer grapples me...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
So there's no speed options? Can you re-map the buttons this time?

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
So there's no speed options? Can you re-map the buttons this time?

No and No not that I've seen. I can't say the lack of remapping is a surprise though.

Top Bottom