• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Tinder in your country?

iorek21

So, here in Brazil (more specifically in São Paulo), Tinder is a toxic shitshow, lots of girls just looking for Instagram followers, people with weird exigencies in their bio (things like "if you're not tall, swipe left", "if you're voting for x candidate, don't match me", etc), lots of underage girls with junk meme references or snapchat's filters, lots of fakes, etc. Most people don't seem to really want anything, as they don't even talk properly (most reply messages with short things like "yesss", "hahahahaha", "yep", "No"), that is, if they answer at all.

So, basically, Tinder in Brazil doesn't really have a healthy community, it's more of a frustating experience than anything. I'm not going to enter in the merit of beauty as this seems to happen with girls (and possibly guys, as some women also complain) of all types of appearances. Some might say that this is my problem because my photos are not good enough or somethings like it, but here's the thing: this also happens with great-looking people, so I don't really think this is a beauty or profile problem.

But anyway, here's my question: How's Tinder in your country? How has been your experience with this app? Is it as toxic as in Brazil?

Holy balls, I installed the app today.
I can talk for my brief experience here in Bologna, Italy and I can see that there a lot of foreigners girls studying here at Uni using it and many Italian girls who are looking for friendships and serious relationships.

manfestival

Tinder was probably the easiest time I had in the US. I also used Tinder while traveling with flying colors. My buddies were using tinder in colombia and they were showing me that half of the girls on there were basically prostitutes. It really varies on your region but im sure your experience is more tailored to your local culture. Catfishing is part of any dating game though so don't get too caught up in that. Say hi and then move on.

In Toronto and it's pretty amazing here. You get a good mix of girls from a variety of ethnicities and cultural values so if you want something serious or casual, it's out there for you.

iorek21

Holy balls, I installed the app today.
I can talk for my brief experience here in Bologna, Italy and I can see that there a lot of foreigners girls studying here at Uni using it and many Italian girls who are looking for friendships and serious relationships.

wow, I rarely find any girl looking for friendships or serious relationships, it seems that here in Sao Paulo people are mostly looking either for Instagram followers or a casual encounter

In Toronto and it's pretty amazing here. You get a good mix of girls from a variety of ethnicities and cultural values so if you want something serious or casual, it's out there for you.

I wish things were like this here...

Just imagine talking with girls with different perspectives and ideas... could be an enlightening experience in itself, I wouldn't even care if did not end up getting a date

Koopatrol

I'm from the USA. Whenever using Tinder here, I get a decent amount of matches, but it always peters out after the first few days. Most of the time I message, the matches lead to nowhere. I just went to Shanghai on a business trip and got way more matches in the little time I was there, and actually got some decent convos going. I feel like I shouldn't even use Tinder in the USA anymore, just seems like way too much effort for too little reward.

Tinder in America you have some girls looking for something serious, though this seems to be few and far between from my experience. It's mostly for hookups or just to boost ego. I also see the bios like "if you voted for x swipe left" and it really is annoying. You also see the girls who just want instagram followers here, too. In Shanghai there was a mix of girls since you need a VPN to access: some expats, some looking for travel buddies, some looking for something serious, some just wanting a friend, etc. Since you need a VPN, a lot of girls there might just be wanting to hook up with a foreign guy too.

In any case, I've never had much success with Tinder.

Last edited:

manfestival

wow, I rarely find any girl looking for friendships or serious relationships, it seems that here in Sao Paulo people are mostly looking either for Instagram followers or a casual encounter
I met my girlfriend through Tinder. You can meet serious girls and you can also meet some that would be open to a serious relationship but that falls entirely on you.

ebevan91

Girls in the US be like:

“No long term relationships, I just wanna have fun! No hook-ups either. I also don’t wanna do this or that.”

Like damn what the hell do you want then?

I've used Tinder in 5 countries now and quite a few cities and I'll say in Mexico City and to a lesser extent Guadalajara it was like shooting fish in a barrel, in Bogotá and Barranquilla its pretty good as well, in Cartagena pretty much every girl I matched with was a prostitute, in the US cities I've used it in it feels kinda pointless and In Toronto diverse as it is the folks seem to be apt to stick to their own ethnic groups, Montreal was the better city for it imo, in any event I've had loads of success in Mexico and Colombia so that alone is worth the price of admission imo

Tenaciousmo

Montreal, Canada here. There's the fake profiles (I think). There's some of the girls with the shopping list as you said but I usually ignore those. same thing with the dog filter and just about everything but most of the girls are usually pretty chill. Got some prety great experiences and had fun, most of the times we're not what we're looking for. Still hoping to find the right one but not counting on it. In my opinion OP you shouldn't beat yourself over it and keep in mind guys swipe right for 90% , girls for 30%. Also, there's always hope

Greedings

I never used Tinder because it used to require a facebook account. Where I am though it's pretty great...I'm told by a friend.

Thurible

I've signed up (not paid) to Catholic Match but I am afraid of going in the wrong direction vocationally and dating, so I kind of do nothing. Also, I'm not sure if dating sites work most of the time or is the right way to court. I mean, anyone could be on there and being on a site could seem desperate as well because there is less socialization there then the traditional find someone in the real world. Like you can't talk to people publically.

Just the thought gives me anxiety. Also, new people in general, especially crowds make me want to hide into a corner.

:messenger_neutral:

Greedings

You can sign in with a phone number too

Now, but when I was single as far as I could tell it was just facebook. I have no use for Tinder any more fortunately.

I've signed up (not paid) to Catholic Match but I am afraid of going in the wrong direction vocationally and dating, so I kind of do nothing. Also, I'm not sure if dating sites work most of the time or is the right way to court. I mean, anyone could be on there and being on a site could seem desperate as well because there is less socialization there then the traditional find someone in the real world. Like you can't talk to people publically.

Just the thought gives me anxiety. Also, new people in general, especially crowds make me want to hide into a corner.

:messenger_neutral:

Those kind of niche dating sites are often formed from a mix and match of other niche dating sites since the population is too low. So a site for farmers and a site for lawyers can sometimes just be put in a large pool, so farmers will find lawyers etc. Not saying yours is...but be cautious.

If you get anxiety from meeting people, a dating site is amazing. I also get serious anxiety from meeting new people, but spending a year on a dating site, and going on dozens of dates really helped me.
I'm not saying you'll find your future wife, but I am saying that you'll learn how to talk to strangers and overcome the fear of meeting new people.
I really enjoyed my time online dating, even though I rarely went on more than 1 date with someone just because I met loads of people who I would never have met otherwise. It made me realise that some of the "classic male" fantasies about, e.g. a hot 18 year old, are bullshit, and that finding someone you connect with is far more important than anything else.

Thurible

Now, but when I was single as far as I could tell it was just facebook. I have no use for Tinder any more fortunately.

Those kind of niche dating sites are often formed from a mix and match of other niche dating sites since the population is too low. So a site for farmers and a site for lawyers can sometimes just be put in a large pool, so farmers will find lawyers etc. Not saying yours is...but be cautious.

If you get anxiety from meeting people, a dating site is amazing. I also get serious anxiety from meeting new people, but spending a year on a dating site, and going on dozens of dates really helped me.
I'm not saying you'll find your future wife, but I am saying that you'll learn how to talk to strangers and overcome the fear of meeting new people.
I really enjoyed my time online dating, even though I rarely went on more than 1 date with someone just because I met loads of people who I would never have met otherwise. It made me realise that some of the "classic male" fantasies about, e.g. a hot 18 year old, are bullshit, and that finding someone you connect with is far more important than anything else.
Thanks, maybe I should give it another shot.

Greedings

Thanks, maybe I should give it another shot.

You really should. It's essentially low stakes practice. You'll likely never see any of those people ever again, so you can screw up or be an idiot by mistake and no one will ever know.
I did it when I moved to a new city and knew no one. Really helped me get out and talk to people, and relax a little more around strangers in other situations.

Although if you're older, 38+, maybe it's not a good idea. From what I know from a couple of older friends who tried, they said people are extremely serious at that point, and put a lot of pressure on you to be in a relationship, even if you don't like them so much.

Gryndel

Neo Member
Here in Italy it's pretty unpopular, but I guess that's just because I live in a "rural" area. I may giving it a shot while I'm moving to Milan, but those kind of dating apps and sites never really worked here

WaterAstro

Used for sex.

General consensus is...
Tinder = One Night Stand
Bumble = Short Term Relationship
Coffee Meets Bagel = Marriage Partner

Fuz

Banned
Horrible.

So, here in Brazil (more specifically in São Paulo), Tinder is a toxic shitshow, lots of girls just looking for Instagram followers, people with weird exigencies in their bio (things like "if you're not tall, swipe left", "if you're voting for x candidate, don't match me", etc), lots of underage girls with junk meme references or snapchat's filters, lots of fakes, etc. Most people don't seem to really want anything, as they don't even talk properly (most reply messages with short things like "yesss", "hahahahaha", "yep", "No"), that is, if they answer at all.

So, basically, Tinder in Brazil doesn't really have a healthy community, it's more of a frustating experience than anything. I'm not going to enter in the merit of beauty as this seems to happen with girls (and possibly guys, as some women also complain) of all types of appearances. Some might say that this is my problem because my photos are not good enough or somethings like it, but here's the thing: this also happens with great-looking people, so I don't really think this is a beauty or profile problem.

But anyway, here's my question: How's Tinder in your country? How has been your experience with this app? Is it as toxic as in Brazil?
Exactly the same.

Last edited:

Orpheum

It's gotten really bad where i live. Frustrating to say the least (i can only judge from a guys perspective here). Most of the girls there either never use it, are only there to plug their instagram/snapchat or don't use it seriously. I've had so many conversations in which the girls straight up stopped texting after the tone shifted more towards an actual meet-up than simply texting, this in particular makes me feel they never seriously intend to meet in the first place. The next issue is the absolute buffet of dick girls can choose from, no wonder they stop texting at some point if 30 guys start a conversation with you, who can blame them really. I had the last 4 dates cancelled on me on the same day, one cancelled an hour before, the other when i was already waiting at the restaurant.

I feel like this can absolutely crush someones self-esteem. In general nobody feels obliged to actually uphold plans, it's more and more used as means to kill boredom and to push your ego. no wonder my city is the "single capital of germany". Absolutely hate this app and don't use it anymore.

Now when i was on vacation a month back the story was completely different...

Gabbelgak

I found my wife on Match a few years ago so it's still a thing if you want serious dating. I tried tinder and okcupid (I didn't really know tinder was basically just for hook ups at the time) and had no luck with them.

All 3 of them though you rather quickly get to a point where you are just looking at the same few people over and over, at least in an area that isn't a big city.

royox

Girls in the US be like:

“No long term relationships, I just wanna have fun! No hook-ups either. I also don’t wanna do this or that.”

LOL give us some of those. Here in Spain (Barcelona) most of them have a "Don't want One Night Stands" even thought I had some dates that ended being literally one night stands....like...what the f*ck do you want and why you have that sentence in your bio if you will fuck the first god damn date.

iorek21

LOL give us some of those. Here in Spain (Barcelona) most of them have a "Don't want One Night Stands" even thought I had some dates that ended being literally one night stands....like...what the f*ck do you want and why you have that sentence in your bio if you will fuck the first god damn date.

They always mean the opposite, I’m not even surprised

Azzurri

Here in Italy it's pretty unpopular, but I guess that's just because I live in a "rural" area. I may giving it a shot while I'm moving to Milan, but those kind of dating apps and sites never really worked here

I have not been back to Italy since Tinder was a thing, but I'd guess it would be the same experience if I went to visit my family in Calabria. Especially in a small city/town where everyone knows everyone, it doesn't seem to bode well for it.

Last edited:

Maedre

Banned
Pretty active in Germany. But as a married man, it more like looking what my fellow friends are doing there.

Last edited:

demented

South East Europe sounds exactly like OP described, except no hookups either. Or well, I have friend's who aren't very selective based on weight and appearances in general so they can score from time to time, but there aren't that many people on it so you run out after few days and then hope for 1 in million tourist match haha

manfestival

Girls in the US be like:

FYI that's just code for. I won't make it easy for the first date. No LTR is probably real and no hook ups is the lie to avoid coming across as easy.

ebevan91

FYI that's just code for. I won't make it easy for the first date. No LTR is probably real and no hook ups is the lie to avoid coming across as easy.

So what about the ones that don't mention any of that stuff in their profile?. Are they more likely to be DTF or not?

Joe T.

I've had the same experience in Montreal, where a lot of the girls that come up mention that they don't want any one night stands and are only interested in serious/long term relationships. It's a bit jarring to see that on an app notorious for casual dating/hookups.

iorek21

As if the Tinder community wasn't terrible enough, there's some talk of a kind of algorithm that selects who's hot and put them at the top of all the other users

hecatomb

Banned
na women in America mostly only care about 2 things, good looks and money. As long as you look like chris hemsworth or some greek god, you are fine. If not, you better have money.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
These sort of dating and hook up apps put men at a pretty big disadvantage before you even meet anyone. It also tends to give women an inflated sense of what they bring to the table. It’s probably effective if you’re in a top level genotype and are just looking for sex, but I wouldn’t want to actually try and meet a quality partner on one.

hecatomb

Banned
thats why I never trusted dating sites, you have no idea if the person could be there just to screw over other people.

Relativ9

I'm off tinder now thankfully, no thanks to tinder. But when I was on it, here in Ireland, it was absolutely useless. Perhaps I'm unique in my taste in girls, but 2kg of the foundation, eyebrows that are drawn on, and what looks like prom-dresses that are way too tight for their body, isn't exactly a big selling point. Then when their profile description will say stuff like "living life to the fullest", "likes to party" and the like, not to mention the list of requirements they have for men, I get the feeling these girls are entitled nightmares to deal with...and the few times I braved a date my suspicions were confirmed. Back when I lived in Norway it was a lot better, girls were far more fit and didn't use/need a bunch of makeup, they posted pictures of them climbing mountains and doing activities rather than partying, and their bio's where short descriptions of them and what they liked to spend their time on.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I'm off tinder now thankfully, no thanks to tinder. But when I was on it, here in Ireland, it was absolutely useless. Perhaps I'm unique in my taste in girls, but 2kg of the foundation, eyebrows that are drawn on, and what looks like prom-dresses that are way too tight for their body, isn't exactly a big selling point. Then when their profile description will say stuff like "living life to the fullest", "likes to party" and the like, not to mention the list of requirements they have for men, I get the feeling these girls are entitled nightmares to deal with...and the few times I braved a date my suspicions were confirmed. Back when I lived in Norway it was a lot better, girls were far more fit and didn't use/need a bunch of makeup, they posted pictures of them climbing mountains and doing activities rather than partying, and their bio's where short descriptions of them and what they liked to spend their time on.
literally the same shit here. Also add: love travelling, looking for travel partner, world traveller, your height and a bunch of emojis and you have the average tinder girl in Munich. Also BMW seems to sponsor this fucking app because every second girl works at BMW

manfestival

literally the same shit here. Also add: love travelling, looking for travel partner, world traveller, your height and a bunch of emojis and you have the average tinder girl in Munich. Also BMW seems to sponsor this fucking app because every second girl works at BMW
Just curious, is that a thing to be proud of where you live? Genuinely curious as to why this would be a thing working at BMW

Top Bottom