• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you like video games? More insightful posts are welcome

mansoor1980

AdobeStock_136551576-1024x685.jpeg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I started tracking all the games I finished in 2014. I'm now up to over 600 finished games in the last 10 years.

Gaming is a huge part of my life and has been since I was little. It's become part of my identity.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I honestly could care less for about 90% of every game I play today, but there seems to always be a souls game or Nintendo game that keeps me in. I find most games only care about cutscenes and " cinematic " aspect and that most gamers champion those type of boring single player experiences.

Edellus

Same. I like to watch tech stuff about games (DF), listen to podcasts (Last Stand Media), news (Skill Up, this site), rankings and lists (gameranks), documentaries (noclip), essays (Jacob Geller), etc.

I've always been playing games on Playstation consoles, but I'm interested to hear about all games, no matter the platform. It's such a varied entertainment field that I find it hard to get tired of it.

I also don't feel all the doom and gloom about games that seems to plague this site and others. Every year is a great year for gaming to me (as a consumer). I also tend to only talk about and engage in things and games I'm interested in and/or enjoy, which is also in contrast to a lot of people who seem to rather talk (or talk trash) about games and things they don't like, or even actively dislike.

Same. I like to watch tech stuff about games (DF), listen to podcasts (Last Stand Media), news (Skill Up, this site), rankings and lists (gameranks), documentaries (noclip), essays (Jacob Geller), etc.

I've always been playing games on Playstation consoles, but I'm interested to hear about all games, no matter the platform. It's such a varied entertainment field that I find it hard to get tired of it.

I also don't feel all the doom and gloom about games that seems to plague this site and others. Every year is a great year for gaming to me (as a consumer). I also tend to only talk about and engage in things and games I'm interested in and/or enjoy, which is also in contrast to a lot of people who seem to rather talk (or talk trash) about games and things they don't like, or even actively dislike.
Feeling this post!

I treat gaming like how heavy book readers treat books.

It is my favorite hobby and regardless of what news or events happen around it. The feeling of checking out a game I haven’t played before, whether old or new, is always an exciting experience. I’m thankful for all of these remasters and re-releases, for game preservation sake, so that I don’t need to hunt down old rare classics for insane prices because I prefer doing things legally.

Just like books there will always an insurmountable amount of content to enjoy, whether past or present, so you have to find your fun.

Wrong forum, OP. Every GAFer of culture is dumping huge loads of shit on video games because we're far too busy posting memes and having arguments about random aspects of the industry to actually play games. Also, there's lots of Japanese culture experts on here and they don't like to be publicly shamed.

hinch7

Its a great hobby and has brought me countless hours of fun and good memories. I got into gaming before the age of the internet (yes I am old). Now there are so many outlets and content to enjoy even if I'm not playing a game, there's always something interesting to watch or read on games and conversing about them to people around the world.

Last edited:
I've been growing up with games for a long time just like movies, books, and music my appreciation for what developers and the artist have created has deepened as I have gotten older and reading interviews from devs that worked on games. Just as watching the behind the scenes and director commentaries on movies, musicians speaking to other musicians about their art, and authors on their process in writing. Part of having a deep appreciation for it as an art form is understanding the people making them and the outlook during their creation. It helps me as a player who enjoys their art and give insights to enhance my experience with their creations.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I've tried exploring different hobbies, but nothing ever quite captivated me the way video games do. There was a period where I think I approached gaming the wrong way. The worst years were definitely when I was obsessed with trophy hunting, being a lifelong Sony player. I'd get so fixated on getting a platinum that I'd burn myself out before even finishing the game. It wasn't until I let go of that trophy-hunting obsession that I rediscovered my love for gaming.

Growing up with video games, I always knew they were more than just a passing phase. But many people I grew up with seem to have outgrown them. They still hold the mentality that video games are for kids, and even if you play as an adult, it's only occasional and limited to titles like Call of Duty and FIFA.

I admit, there was a time when I felt embarrassed about my gaming hobby. People would look down on it, as if it was childish and I needed to "grow up." But now that I'm an adult and married, and I see some of the crazy and even dangerous hobbies people pursue, I'm genuinely grateful for my love of gaming.

Okay, enough rambling from me!

Wildebeest

Wrong forum, OP. Every GAFer of culture is dumping huge loads of shit on video games because we're far too busy posting memes and having arguments about random aspects of the industry to actually play games. Also, there's lots of Japanese culture experts on here and they don't like to be publicly shamed.
Playing games so hard your ADHD doesn't let you do anything else, and you need a piss bottle, isn't a better type of gaming in my opinion.

notseqi

I played Isonzo (ww1) simulator and battlebit (current war simulator) and all I can say is that I wish that I could have Battlefield 3/4 back.

jubei

Neo Member
I love video games a lot. I think they're the ultimate art form, and also an excellent means of socializing. There are some games that make me feel an emotion that is impossible to feel otherwise. To me, that makes them transcendently valuable.

itshutton

Gaming is still my favourite hobby, but I have less and less time with work and relationships. Honestly, it feels like I should probably spend more time gaming for stress relief.

I have been playing Rebirth since launch day and still haven’t got that platinum. It’s typically 1 or 2 big games a year now.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
It doesn't even come close to the times when i was a kid. I still like gaming, but i'm not that excited for new releases anymore. I'm an interval gamer now. I still can play excessively, but sometimes i don't play anything for weeks and prefer watching streamers play. Maybe i play more when i'm in a melancholic mood and try to get my childhood back, no idea.

I've tried exploring different hobbies, but nothing ever quite captivated me the way video games do. There was a period where I think I approached gaming the wrong way. The worst years were definitely when I was obsessed with trophy hunting, being a lifelong Sony player. I'd get so fixated on getting a platinum that I'd burn myself out before even finishing the game. It wasn't until I let go of that trophy-hunting obsession that I rediscovered my love for gaming.

Growing up with video games, I always knew they were more than just a passing phase. But many people I grew up with seem to have outgrown them. They still hold the mentality that video games are for kids, and even if you play as an adult, it's only occasional and limited to titles like Call of Duty and FIFA.

I admit, there was a time when I felt embarrassed about my gaming hobby. People would look down on it, as if it was childish and I needed to "grow up." But now that I'm an adult and married, and I see some of the crazy and even dangerous hobbies people pursue, I'm genuinely grateful for my love of gaming.

Okay, enough rambling from me!
Also feeling this post, so many satisfying reads ITT! I'm glad I made this thread.
Just because you are adult doesn't erase God's mind and will creating games, like playing as a thing to entertain, like hide and seek, this is simply video (game) format...what even being adult means, who decided what it stands for, what counts and what doesn't

I love video games a lot. I think they're the ultimate art form, and also an excellent means of socializing. There are some games that make me feel an emotion that is impossible to feel otherwise. To me, that makes them transcendently valuable.
Video games are art mashup it's all of the art in one package

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I love videogames. There's so much to enjoy in games from the gameplay, to the visuals and music and even the stories or concepts that still keep you thinking about them even after beating the game.

Not only that but we are lucky enough to live at a time in which have access to all kinds of videogames, new and old. It's quite exciting to see what's to come next, but to me at least it can be even more exciting do dig up and old gem you didn't know shit about and falling in love with games again.

Plus indie games are great, a good way for small devs to express their creativity.

Top Bottom