• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much is Chrono Trigger Worth to You?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Isn't this a grade-A example of shill-bidding? Why do all the sellers have similar, 5-digit names with asterixes at the centre?

They all have a good reputation, but it looks fishy. Could it be fixed?

alexh

onemic said:
From what I've read it's illegal if you don't delete it within 24 hours, however it's legal if you already own a copy of the game, but that's subject to what country you live in.

The story changes as the courts continually debate about it. Basically it's illegal.

No, it has legal precedence. I had a post with the case in it.

Basically, since the games are stored on a piece of hardware they can't be backed up onto another piece of hardware. The Offending party tried to say it was the preservation clause of copywriting or whatnot but the courts ruled otherwise.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
alexh said:
No, it has legal precedence. I had a post with the case in it.

Basically, since the games are stored on a piece of hardware they can't be backed up onto another piece of hardware. The Offending party tried to say it was the preservation clause of copywriting or whatnot but the courts ruled otherwise.

I've not heard of this before, but it does make sense considering the nature of cart technology. It's a pain really though, since i'd actually prefer to play my (legitimate) copy through enhanced emulation. Nostalgia notwithstanding, it is a greater experience for me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Joei said:
This game is about that good. I've had my copy for 10+ years and it's still in about mint condition, and I've played through the SNES copy 15+ times. And if someone offered me 1000+ dollars for the game, I would say no thank you.

Why? You could buy ten more.

Cataferal said:
Isn't this a grade-A example of shill-bidding? Why do all the sellers have similar, 5-digit names with asterixes at the centre?

That's because the auction is set to keep the bidders' names private, except for the winner. Those aren't their actual eBay names.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well, I'd pay a decent amount but was more than content to pay the ¥700 I did back in September.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I have a couple of sealed super nes games.

Unfortunately it's not chrono trigger but castlevania 4 and super swiv.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Chrono Trigger was my gateway RPG, and will always have a nice roomy space in my heart. I still have a shrink-wrapped SNES Chrono Trigger and i have no intentions of selling it. So, thats how much.

60 bucks for the snes version complete in box

$30 for the cartridge alone

but i have the playstation rerelease that i got for $20, so i'm fine. it's not the greatest game evar anyway. that honor goes to suikoden 2.

TJ Spyke

NO game, even factory sealed, is worth that much money in my opinion. But you know what they say: a fool and his money are easily parted. If someone wants to waste their money, go ahead.

I have never played the game, but I would spend 800 Wii Points to play it based on all the good reviews i've heard over the years (it would be cheaper than buying a used SNES and physical copy of the game).

I've had an unopened Seiken Densetsu 3 box at my parent's house for ages. Opened it last weekend though. =(

Wouldn't sell it ever. Love the manual!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
TJ Spyke said:
NO game, even factory sealed, is worth that much money in my opinion. But you know what they say: a fool and his money are easily parted. If someone wants to waste their money, go ahead.

I have never played the game, but I would spend 800 Wii Points to play it based on all the good reviews i've heard over the years (it would be cheaper than buying a used SNES and physical copy of the game).

Then you have no room to talk. If you had played the game, then you'd understand what the fuss is all about. It *IS* the greatest game of all time, hence the reason it goes for so much. No other RPG(western or Japanese) comes remotely close to the experience that is Chrono Trigger.

TJ Spyke

isamu said:
Then you have no room to talk. If you had played the game, then you'd understand what the fuss is all about. It *IS* the greatest game of all time, hence the reason it goes for so much. No other RPG(western or Japanese) comes remotely close to the experience that is Chrono Trigger.

Yes, I do have room to talk. I'v already said that NO game is worth that much. Even if it was better than every other game i've played (which I have doubts about), I stil wouldn't agree that it's worth that much. The only possible way I could see a game being worth over $1,000 is if there was only like 50 copies ever made.

So no matter how good a game is, I will laugh at someone willing to spend that much money on it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
You can laugh all you want but unless this was that person's life savings, it's really no big fucking deal.

diddlyD

Banned
i remember when this game came out, i returned the sega saturn version of robotica (lol) for it. i got one of the last copies, and my buddy tried to convince me to trade it to him for his 400 dollar electric guitar that he had given up trying to learn to play. i kept the game.

Mar

Wow, that's a hefty price tag. I haven't kept my eye on SNES eBay stuff but that is the highest I've seen one go for. Previously I've seen things like a sealed Mario RPG go for 600 - 800, Super Metroid and Zelda also going for around that. But prices fluctuate wildly on those as I just recently seen an auction for 2 sealed Zelda's with a Buy It Now price of just $400 (I would have bought them if I had the money at the time, keep one and sell the other later).

I can completely understand someone paying this much for a sealed game. I'd do the same if I had the money and it was a game I love. The most I've paid however is $400.

Top Bottom