• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Pixar Lost Its Way

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Except it's been 7 years of divisive, forgetable or flat out bad movies.

Pixar's created an incredibly high standard for themselves. When they don't make universally praised films they have failed in the eyes of the public.
I don't really care that much about what other people think of Pixar's movies, when it comes to rating them. I mean, I do care whenever we are discussing them (it's interesting to hear different opinions and points of view, and it can help me see things I may have missed, so I truly appreciate that), but when it comes to calling them "good" or "bad", the only opinion that matters is my own.

For example, I know many people dislike The Good Dinosaur. I've seen their points and I agree with some of them. Nevertheless, I like it and think it's a good movie. Flawed, but good.

Besides, Inside Out could have been the only movie Pixar had ever released, and I'd still consider them the best animated studio that ever existed. However bad the previous years may have been, that one movie means they are still on top of their game, as far as I am concerned.

Elandyll

Banned
I consider TS3 to be a rehash of TS2 themes, and therefore wholly unecessary as a sequel, though a good movie.

So as far as I'm concerned, their streak of greatness ended with UP and had a short relapse with Inside Out.

It's not that the movies released since have been bad, but they were falling so far short of the standards they themselves established it was nuts, while DAS was stepping up its game like crazy

Pixar since 2009
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Brave
Monsters Inc 2
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
Finding Memo 2

Disney Animation since 2009
Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Winnie the Pooh
Wreck it Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Moana

Haha probably an exaggeration. For me it struck a bunch of chords about frayed relationships with parents, not meeting full potential in school, gaps forming over time with old friends, and the sort of hopelessness of it all at times.

Don't worry, I get it. This hit movie around the same time my job forced us to move. I have two daughters and the oldest took leaving friends behind pretty hard. So yeah, Inside Out hit all the feels.

Violet_0

Banned
Finding Dory is better then Moana. Inside Out is one of their best works. It's just unfortunate that not every one of their movies is a must-watch anymore

FTF

Whoa whoa whoa, OP. The part of the story I don't like is that the fans gave up looking for Pixar after an hour. They didn't put posters up or anything, they just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. Those fan's gotta think 'You got an animation company. You got a responsibility.' If your studio gets lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that fucking studio!

HvySky

Can't say I disagree with the article. Aside from Inside Out, pretty much everything Pixar has released since Toy Story 3 has been average at best. Disney Animation on the other hand has been killing it with stuff like Wreck-It Ralph, Zootopia, etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
One thing I'm still shocked though is Monsters University.

I fucking loved Monsters Inc., thought the characters there are really defined and handled, and had a really emotional story. I was surprised to see a sequel being made, and realized it was a prequel with a college setting.

I was like, "okay, they'll probably make a unique spin of it". Alas, it's another fucking college-themed film.

Though to be fair, I think it's an American problem. Why the fuck are every college-set film so the same in plot and theme? I went to college and never joined a fraternity, why the hell every movie involves the main character making a mark within a fraternity?

Also why people forget A Bug's Life? Really great PSX game but a rather forgettable, crappy retelling of the Seven Samurai.

Also what took me away from Finding Dory is how suddenly it became cartoony. It was more subdued in Finding Nemo but suddenly they went all out to the cartoonish aspects in the second film.

I just don't like how blunt that one scene was, it is a direct Brando day of my daughter's wedding hit you over the head joke because I like all the subtle pop references because it breathes life into this world without dating the film. EDIT: Your example of Looney Tunes brings up a broader issue because how are those jokes viewed by a different generation? Without the reference is it funny or is it just a funny voice to them or does the joke just disappear into time. If there's no joke without the reference is there a joke at all, then why put the reference there just to age?

While I do agree the reference was on the nose, I like how it ties neatly with what Judy did. Yeah it is iffy that the local cop is has mob ties, but it makes for a funny shot especially the polar bear escalation.

And that's exactly my point - pop culture in itself doesn't really "date" the show. It's all about the execution and how intertwined it is. Shrek 2 has loads of it but it works there because they shape this cosmopolitan fantasy world treated like Hollywood. You don't need to know that they're parodying E! or anything. Same with this, it sets up the idea that there's a rat mafia down there and the supposed perfect utopia of the city.

Everything about the otter victim wasn't handled great, it just led into a sloppy 3rd act. Pretty much from the Panther scene to the subway car, that was all just so forgettable. Especially considering how well they handled the "car chase" scene in tiny town earlier.

I disagree - it sets up the tone on the arc that was happening. The car chase was good for some action and comedy, but since the otter scene we eventually move to a more dramatic and character driven part of the plot. My only gripe really there is the DMV scene which took up a while, a joke pacing problem.

I know they shoehorned it in there, it doesn't make it an elegant solution, even if they connected all the dots. I'm not saying it was some plot hole or anything like that, they made it work. Just their use of a overused "I can be anything when I grow up", however you want to frame that, I didn't like that decision. There wasn't a payoff by going that route if you chalk it up being about size.

It's not really about "I can be anything when I grow up" though, because they pretty much stated how bullshit it was, especially when Nick confesses his side. It was an issue, but later on it unraveled into something about how "not everything is perfect, not everyone is nice, but let's learn to tolerate, and work it out for the good of both of us".

That's what I'm saying it should have been in regards to the herbivore/carnivore not that it was. They should have build more upon that than the little guy angle. If they had continued to use scale like they did in the first half of the movie, the chase, the Popsicle con, ect. I would had been fine with that little guy take in the final act. If the otter was being discriminated by size, which lead to a conflict in scale during the action scenes into some "there are no small roles but small actors" idea during the fake death scene, there's so much you could have build upon even if you don't change anything about the storyline.

The whole movie feels disjointed in that way. Like it was built at different times so they had to force these segments together and stitched them into a functional movie.

See my problem with the carnivore herbivore thing being the focus is that as we see in the film, there's actually a fine integration. Yeah there was some form of discrimination hinting towards that, but it wasn't too much overt. It wasn't until the incidents happening and Judy running her mouth off that the discrimination went overt, and the villain used that form of fear to control.

Also while their discrimination towards Hopps had parts of scale, it wasn't just that. It was the whole bunny thing - i.e. hicks, only know how to multiply, country-life farmers who are not good at anything else. It was discrimination of species.

And the scene flows well anyway, so for me it didn't feel disjointed. Each event lead to another without opening any plotholes.

OG5piuO.gif

Nah he has a point. I do agree that the first five minutes immediately pulled the people off and are unable to let go.

Big Hero 6 is yeah.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pixar has become very inconsistent but I think the problem with how it makes them look is that their lows are getting really low. Even Cars 2 was fine for what it set out to do, but stuff like Brave and The Good Dinosaur were shockingly lifeless for Pixar films.

Of course given how long an animated film takes to plan and produce, I always feel that with studios like Pixar if they make a bad film we're seeing what was wrong with the company culture five years ago. It makes it hard to predict where Pixar is going next and if it's good or bad.

In this thread, I learn there are people who thought Inside Out was either mediocre or bad.

Everyone I have spoken to about the movie and every review I have read gave glowing reviews.

Just shouting "but Inside Out!" isn't really a good response to this article. The author knows Inside Out was great. He said so explicitly.

The point is that Pixar used to hit it out of the park nearly 100% of the time, but now they've had only one unqualified success in seven years. From 1995 to 2010, every movie they made except A Bug's Life and Cars was a flat-out masterpiece, or close to it. But from 2011 until now, they've had only one masterpiece. That is an enormous drop in quality. They've gone from "cranking out amazing movies with an occasional misstep into movies that are merely good" to "cranking out movies that are merely good and only occasionally managing to make something amazing." Their fortunes have reversed.

And with two of their four upcoming movies being "brand deposit into the Cars merchandising empire" and "brand deposit into the Toy Story merchandising empire (that's also going to fuck up the perfect thematic arc of the Toy Story trilogy)," things aren't going to get better any time soon.

Feel like I'm one of the few that didn't like Inside Out. Found it incredibly boring. At least the inside the head parts were.

The last great Pixar movie I saw was probably UP. Finding Dory was ok at best, but after loving Finding Nemo I was disappointed.

PerkeyMan

Expectations can be a bitch. Pixar at it's peak will probably be unreachable for some time and of course it's impossible to be consistent when you are delivering absolute creative masterpieces time and time again. Had Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana been Pixar-made films after Toy Story 3 Gaf would have been flooded with "Pixar has lost it" threads.

This talk of a "Disney renaissance" is a joke, especially when compared to their 90's era.

Meowster

It's sad but I can't blame them for losing their way. You can't top a masterpiece like Wall-E so maybe they just stopped trying.

Wiped89

I'm a huge Pixar fan but there's no doubt the studio has fallen off in quality since the holy trinity of Wall E, Toy Story 3 and UP, which I consider to be their three greatest films (UP being the best).

Since then we've had the mediocre Brave, the poor The Good Dinosaur and the serviceable but disappointing Finding Dory.

Inside Out, while much better than those three, still isn't as good as the classic Pixar films.

The Disney effect has been clear. Pixar since its acquisition has been forced to make sequels it doesn't want to make (Toy Story 4 is going to be bad), and diverted attention off its original ideas.

Having said all that the Disney originals do nothing for me. Frozen and Tangled have been mega successful but they are 'just' kids films. They lack a level of emotional maturity and creativity that Pixar provides. Though perhaps that is one of the reasons they are more commercially successful, because they're more straightforward. Simple makes money, just look at the pop music charts.

Boss Doggie

I'm on the Inside Out isn't bad but kinda mediocre camp, with the emotional character being the imaginary friend.

AdanVC

I used to be a Pixar fanboy but yeah, they have been producing really average stuff lately. Bad sequels and meh new stories with the exception of Inside Out (Gotta admit I haven't even seen Brave because I'm sick of the medieval fantasy-esque setting in animated movies). The worst is that there's still Cars 3 to be released, a film nobody asked except little kids willing to buy (well their parents) every single Cars merchandise available wich of course that is something Disney and Pixar will not ignore. Same goes for Toy Story 4. Story wise, doesn't have a reason to exist since TS3 end up perfect but oh well, at this point I'm indifferent towards Pixar and I'm hyped for Coco!

I agree that Up is slightly overrated. The villain especially got a raw deal. Dude made dogs talk, let him have one bird! But its emotional highs truly soar (no pun intended).

Now that you put it that way, yeahh, Karl and Rusel were complete assholes, the villian even end up dead because of them! He spend his whole life chasing that bird, it's obvious he would act that way towards Karl and Rusel for trying to ruin his plans after years of hard work and solitude, so much he had to made dogs talk in order to not going full lunatic. He didn't even wanted to kill the bird, man! :'( I hate UP now, lol!

I had to Google to see if Disney had any 'original' films in the works, and in the next 3 years they only have Coco and Gigantic(Again with single word titles, Disney?!).
JFC, the next 15 years is mainly disney/pixar sequels, CBMs, Star Wars and Live action remakes. 😖

FTFY

I'm a huge Pixar fan but there's no doubt the studio has fallen off in quality since the holy trinity of Wall E, Toy Story 3 and UP, which I consider to be their three greatest films (UP being the best).

Since then we've had the mediocre Brave, the poor The Good Dinosaur and the serviceable but disappointing Finding Dory.

Inside Out, while much better than those three, still isn't as good as the classic Pixar films.

The Disney effect has been clear. Pixar since its acquisition has been forced to make sequels it doesn't want to make (Toy Story 4 is going to be bad), and diverted attention off its original ideas.

Having said all that the Disney originals do nothing for me. Frozen and Tangled have been mega successful but they are 'just' kids films. They lack a level of emotional maturity and creativity that Pixar provides. Though perhaps that is one of the reasons they are more commercially successful, because they're more straightforward. Simple makes money, just look at the pop music charts.
Up is a great five minute short with a bullshit movie attached.

Farmboy

I consider TS3 to be a rehash of TS2 themes, and therefore wholly unecessary as a sequel, though a good movie.

I respect and agree with this opinion, and in fact am surprised this isn't mentioned more often. However I do feel TS3 delves into those themes ever so slightly deeper and better (that, and the prison movie stuff was amazing.) But yeah, TS2 did it first, and did it very well.

Expectations can be a bitch. Pixar at it's peak will probably be unreachable for some time and of course it's impossible to be consistent when you are delivering absolute creative masterpieces time and time again. Had Frozen, Tangled, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana been Pixar-made films after Toy Story 3 Gaf would have been flooded with "Pixar has lost it" threads.

Agree with this as well. Tangled excepted. The others are good, but not Pixar-at-its-peak good (a height which Inside Out, imo, does reach).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't wanna get brutal on this but if someone told me they thought Pixar is still at the level they once were, I would seriously call their opinions on animated movies in question. How do you even look at stuff like Toy Story, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, or Up then look at Cars 2, Monsters University, or the Good Dinosaur and think to yourself "Yeah, this is fine."

Well, The Good Dinosaur is the movie I like the second-most out of your list (with Wall-E being number 1). It is incredibly cute and in my eyes is a very good take on the Lion King formula. Also it does not grate my ears with musical style singing like this damn Vaiana movie (we have watched those to movies close to each other the last few weeks). I see no problems with this movie outside of it being very close in story concept and even some characterisations to Lion King.

Pixar has yet to make a bad movie. Even Good Dinosaur is miles ahead of something so off target as Sharks Tale or as confused and meandering as Kung Fu Panda 2.

Cars 2 is actually very clever but you have to be a fan or understanding of 60s and 70s spy movies and the equivalent racing culture to get beyond the surface entertainment of it.

At the worst Pixar has made a few 7/10 movies. The vast majority of their catalogue idles at 10/10 or 9/10. It is an insane expectation that they will forever hit home runs when their next closest competitors don't have near the track record, consistency, or quality.

Can someone clarify the criticism of Cars 1. That's easily my favorite pixar movie . Also zootopia was not enjoyable and my son doesn't like it either . The whole time that movie left me wondering who it was actually made for .

Wasn't Disney producing a shitload of mediocre-to-garbage sequels to their own properties in the early to mid 00s one of the main driving forces behind Eisner getting ousted and Pixar being bought/their guys being put in charge of the whole animation operation? You'd think that they of all fucking people would know not to make that mistake.

The consistency ain't there anymore. Everything between Ratatouille (or first part of Wall-E) to Inside Out was weak. Inside Out was fantastic and followed by The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, and Cars 3. Who knows, maybe Cars and Thor will have something common and have their first good movies this year.

Also feels like other animation studios stepped it up big time.

This is the most accurate assessment in the thread.

IC5

Inside out takes a fantastic idea about how feelings, emotions, and memories work: and then heavily pads it into a feature length run time, with a bunch of 2 bit, under-developed content. It held off important reveals---with very little which actually served to strengthen the core ideas. It tried to copy Toy Story. But forgot that Toy Story always works, because these rambling adventures of desperation have been great opportunities to expand and flex the core idea of secretly alive toys. With Inside Out, nearly all of the "inside" drama adventuring through headspace, was absolutely throwaway.

Inside Out either should have been severely cut and made a short, or held in production to allow time for better supporting ideas.

I think it would have been much better to basically do the entire arch of the movie we got, in 20-30 minutes. Now that we have established how this girl's mind works and primed the audience T be able to understand her---put her through an hour of varied plot/adventure which takes this "inside" idea and expands and flexes it with many opportunities to pay off with "out" content. And maybe actually give us some flavor on who this girl is/is becoming. Would have been so much more interesting.

I mean, if you think that Up isn't good enough to stand among the best of Pixar, I'd ask where that consistency is. Monsters, Inc. is arguably elevated by cuteness and tugging at heartstrings - it is far from a perfect movie - and A Bug's Life, while good in my opinion, was the weakest Pixar film until Cars came out. To consider Pixar a consistent company in the standards that Up isn't an example of consistent quality just comes off as you being nostalgic for the Pixar of olde.

Boss Doggie

Pixar has yet to make a bad movie. Even Good Dinosaur is miles ahead of something so off target as Sharks Tale or as confused and meandering as Kung Fu Panda 2.

Hey Mike Mazowski, your jokes aren't working

I respect and agree with this opinion, and in fact am surprised this isn't mentioned more often. However I do feel TS3 delves into those themes ever so slightly deeper and better (that, and the prison movie stuff was amazing.) But yeah, TS2 did it first, and did it very well.

I love TS3 but I can see why people feel TS3 is just aping TS2's stuff. It just feels so weird that the second film tackled the idea about aging then TS3 came in and have the toys act like they never tackled it. I guess the idea is that "you never really can experience it until you finally come to it", but it has that problem. Also I'm just confused at how Jessie treats what's generally emotional to her as a rather off-hand comment.

But we know its actual purpose though - to make sure the toys go on to another owner so they can continue their hijinks indefinitely.

Boss Doggie

I'm here to tell you all that Ratatouille is the best Pixar film.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

It definitely is.

With that said I don't get how people say the ending is "bittersweet". In fact it was far from it.

Although I'm surprised Skinner and the health inspector didn't sue Linguini.

Immediately though my gripe is why people are comparing the two when there's a massive difference in plot and characterization to begin with. This is like comparing Zootopia to Kung Fu Panda.

Used to be a huge fan of Pixar movies with them having an own section in my movie collection but man has it been a downward spiral after Toy Story 3. Inside Out was the last movie I've seen of them and I barely made it through. Had to spread the viewing on 3 days because I couldn't handle more than 30 minutes of that in one sitting.

They just need to stop cranking out sequels and get back to original concepts, which it seems like they will once they get stupid Cars 3 outta their system.

this so much. also, what's the deal with cars and its sequels. The first cars is one of the worse pixar earlier films and yet sequels kept getting pumped while real gems that deserved sequels like The Incredibles are nowhere to be found.

Fuck the kids market for Cars.

this so much. also, what's the deal with cars and its sequels. The first cars is one of the worse pixar earlier films and yet sequels kept getting pumped while real gems that deserved sequels like The Incredibles are nowhere to be found.

Fuck the kids market for Cars.
Incredibles 2 is coming.
Brad Bird didn't want to do Incredibles 2 until he had an idea he felt surpassed the original.
Lasseter wanted to make Cars 2.

Chuckie

I liked Inside Out, but I don't really understand how it could make one cry for 45 minutes.

Maybe Sadness got kicked out of my brain or something.

Inside Out is right up there with their best movies. I guess you've lost your way if you don't have at least one Oscar nomination every year.

Hyperbolic article is hyperbolic.

Zalasta

Finally saw Inside Out recently and I found it quite lacking as well. I did not enjoy watching Joy basically being a dictator telling everyone what to do for the entire duration of the movie. I also found the basic concept to be quite flawed, suggesting an 11 year old having never experienced complex (or hybrid) emotions for the entirety of her life is pretty ridiculous. Give children more credit than that. Movie should've spent more time on Riley and less on the one-dimensional interpretation of her emotions, which turned out to be both silly and gimmicky.

Top Bottom