• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to drive a manual transmission

Automatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 89 74.8%

• Total voters

UnNamed

Banned
Automatic shift is rare in Europe, probably because in US automatic gear on a car is less expensive, or because in the past AG was more fuel-angry than the manual shift and fuel is more expensive in EU.

I have a Skoda and once you have tried AG, you won't go back, very convenient. In combo with the adaptive cruise control, it's (almost) like autonomous drive.

Ovek

7Member7
Whereas I learnt to drive in a manual passed my test in a manual and will only drive automatic because who honestly gives a shit when you are stuck in traffic 80% of the time.

And to further that even more now that I drive an electric car I make my commute without using my brakes, regenerative braking FTW.

Cyberpunkd

What people think manual transmission is like:

Fast And Furious Dom GIF by The Fast Saga

What it's really like:

season 6 GIF

gundalf

Automatic shift is rare in Europe, probably because in US automatic gear on a car is less expensive, or because in the past AG was more fuel-angry than the manual shift and fuel is more expensive in EU.

I have a Skoda and once you have tried AG, you won't go back, very convenient. In combo with the adaptive cruise control, it's (almost) like autonomous drive.

Yep and manual is a downgrade in quality of life, specially in commuter traffic and long trips. If have driven my entire life manual and my next car will be automatic, I'm sick of this dummy clutch-gas-pedal monkey dance.

Ghekkus

GENTLY release the clutch until you hit the "bite point", the car will move here
Great tip. This was the single biggest thing that helped me when I was learning accelerating from a stop. You don't even have to give the car gas if you hold the bite point, it will just start rolling forward slowly. Then you can give it some gas and let off the rest of the way. Over time you'll learn this spot naturally for one smooth motion and you'll be golden.

Also, a lot newer cars with manual transmissions have hill assist now where it will hold the brake for like 3 seconds if it senses an incline.

TheMan

I'm 38 and I just learned last year. I tracked down and bought a Civic Type R in a city 4 hours away in the fall of 2020 with barely any prior experience save for a 20 minutes lesson I got from a friend back in like 2002 lol. Basically, I watched a ton of videos on youtube and then asked the salesman to give me a 20 minute lesson, and he obliged. Then I yolo'd it and drove all the way back home. You CAN do it. After you get the car, take it out to a nearby empty parking lot at night and practice starting from a stop, which starting out is probably the hardest thing you will do on a daily basis. After you get that, shifting between gears is easy. Also practice starting on hills, but luckily modern cars have hill assist that makes this a breeze. In time you will build muscle memory and it gets easier. When I first bought the car, my hands would get so sweaty when it was time to drive it to and from work, but now I don't give a fuck.

Oh and you will stall at first and sometimes people will honk. Make peace with this because you will feel like an idiot but it's unavoidable.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
My first job was a lot attendant/porter during HS, I told them I knew how to drive manual then just learned on the job. It's easy once you get the hang of it. Then I bought my first car, with a manual transmission.

Raven117

Driving a manual is awesome.

I have a stick shift jeep which is my daily driver. I love it.

Its alot of fun OP, and it will make you a better driver.

Last edited:
What people think manual transmission is like:

Fast And Furious Dom GIF by The Fast Saga

What it's really like:

season 6 GIF

Yep and manual is a downgrade in quality of life, specially in commuter traffic and long trips. If have driven my entire life manual and my next car will be automatic, I'm sick of this dummy clutch-gas-pedal monkey dance.

Manual in 2022? You don’t want manual driving in the city.

Unless you have a heavy clutch (most cars dont) I find the complains about manuals in traffic is pretty overblown but everyone has their own line as to what is acceptable and what is not. Sure its more annoying since you have to have the your foot on the clutch but its not bad IMO. Not sure how the clutch is on the 86 though, its been a while since I've driven one and I havent driven the new gen yet.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Practice starting on an uphill. Always strike fear in the driver behind you as you roll toward them.

I live in the crazy state of Florida so not too many hills. I am from NC and was thinking on doing a drive up once I get the car and able drive it confidently. I’ll prob learn hills up there lol. I’m sure I can find some hills here somewhere, from what I gather hills are the manual’s nemesis mainly.

Dural

Automatic for any vehicle but a sports car.

You just need some practice and you will get it. I learned on an old farm truck at the peach farm I worked on.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

An argument could be made for a truck that is used for towing or an off road vehicle like a Jeep, but yeah, I'd really only want one in a sports car today. The gated manuals in older sports cars like the F355 and Murcielago are worth way more money nowadays than the dual clutch versions.

30 odd years of manuals.

As mentioned above, once you get the concept in your head of how to work the clutch and accelerator and make your up and down shifts.

Then biting points aside. Most cars are the same (a heavy foot will burn out more clutches though. You’ll know by the smell before that happens though 😬🙈)

Switched a couple of years back to try an auto. Had driven some before, but not for any length of time. Made sure I went with paddles though and totally loving the experience. Almost manual like, with the gear and rev control. Combined with just kicking back on the motorway and letting the car do its thing 😎

Best thing to do, once you are mentally committed is practise and then practise some more. A bit of time and patience, then I’m sure you will be wondering what all the fuss was about 👍

badblue

I remember my dad insisting that I learn manual when he tried to teach me to drive. Instead of taking me somewhere like a parking lot to learn he took me to a god damn logging road in the mountains. I did end up learning despite that terrible first lesson and drove a manual for a few years after getting my license.

They are fun to drive, but terrible if you happen to live somewhere where they have red lights/stop signs at the top of hills.

KielCasto

I find a manual to be a pain in heavy traffic or in the city. But, feels greet in wide, open roads; like I own the road.

Learning shouldn't be that hard. You're just adding some steps to driving and giving your other leg something to do. Try starting out during low-traffic times or empty roads. Have someone who knows to drive a manual with you.

Soltype

Get a cheap manual beater and get the basics.Do not buy a automatic sports car, it is always a soulless experience.

jadedm17

You'll be fine, I bought a 2012 Camaro and needed my mom to drive it home for me; I made to work the next morning on my own.

ape2man

I always was this guy shouting.... automatic is for pussies.. only real people drive manual. .... i now love being a pussy, fuck manual i dont have time for that shit.

thefool

I'l always lean manual because I've grown to love to drive and manual allows a better handling of the car. But auto's are in general much better performance-wise plus using manual in a city and stop-start traffic can definitely be boring af.

How to learn is simply a case of either getting used to new muscle routines (if you never drove) or changer the ones you have. Its not hard at all although I tend to defend bad drivers using auto's should almost be an obligation.

Ive never drove manual.

Looks like a pain in the butt to be shifting. Also, I'd be too afraid if I didnt shift correctly and gun it, I'd mess up the gears or something.

I dont know how much of a fail-safe system manual cars are if someone keeps messing up.

My 65 year old mom does it flawlessly. You don't have to worry about mis-shifting, manual is easy, its just a matter of muscle memory. You need a serious blunder to fuck shit up, like this

Last edited:

rbanke

Neutral
Turn the car on
Clutch
1st gear
GENTLY release the clutch until you hit the "bite point", the car will move here
full clutch and break
repeat 5

And don't look at the gear box

Yes you don't even need the gas pedal to do that as long as you are gentle enough. The main thing is discover where the bite point is.

Do that for 10 min in a empty parking lot and voilá you are driving manual. Now try to accelerate and pass to 2nd etc. The rest become conditioned reflex.

To stop, break and clutch.
Exactly correct

I've taught several to drive manual and that is how I explain it. The majority of cars will slowly begin to move when slowly releasing the clutch. Ignore the gas pedal completely and learn the feel of how the clutch works using this method.

kingwingin

Bought a new car 2 years ago and I refuse to buy a CVT so I had no choice but get a civic with a 6 speed.

Was brutal the first few months learning the feel of the bite point and feathering the gas. I still have no idea what I'm doing or if I'm doing any long term damage but it sure it fun to drive

Tams

So I’m currently looking into buying a new car; the Toyota GR86.

I’m 35 and don’t know how to drive a manual but think I understand the basics, I think.

I currently drive an automatic transmission and looking to jump ship because hear it’s better.

Don’t really have anyone to borrow a manual car from so what are some tips while driving a manual transmission you may have to give?

Is it worth really time go manual over automatic?
If you're thinking about the future, no. Sadly, manuals are dying.

Here in the UK, we don't let people drive manuals if they haven't passed the manual test though. If you don't know how to drive, then you don't get to enjoy manuals.

Anyway, to be less of an arse:

As others have mentioned, you need to focus on the clutch. That's what will allow you to get going and keep going.
  • Start by just pushing down and releasing the clutch with your left foot to get a feel for it.
  • Then turn on the engine (clutch down of course).
  • Change to first gear.
  • Slowly lift up the clutch and feel for the bite (you'll know it when you feel it).
  • Once you've done the above a few times, after passing the bite gently put your right foot on the accelerator. And voila! You'll be going in first gear.
  • After practising that, try going back into neutral. Push down the clutch fully and gently brake (right foot), then move the gear stick.
  • Try that a few times, eventually move the gear stick as soon as you put the clutch down (engage the clutch).
Then after that you can go through the same process for higher gears. Remember:

Going up a gear:
  1. Clutch fully down and ease off the accelerator.
  2. Move the gear stick up a gear.
  3. Slowly ease off the clutch until you feel the bite. Then you can fully relax your clutch (left) foot.
  4. Push down on the accelerator with your right foot (ideally with 3 as you feel the bite).
Going down a gear:
  1. Clutch fully down. (and ease off the accelerator)
  2. Move the gear stick down a gear.
  3. Slowly ease off the clutch until you feel the bite (ideally while slowly pushing down on the accelerator if you aren't stopping - use the brake pedal instead if you're slowing down or stopping).
tl;dr:
  1. Clutch fully down.
  2. Move gear stick.
  3. Clutch slowly up until the bite.
And the left foot is exclusively for the clutch. The right foot is for the accelerator or the brake.

Emergency brake: Clutch and brake down hard. Clutch should ideally be slightly first, but if things have gotten that bad it doesn't really matter.

Though really; get an instructor.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
The first time I drove a manual was when I was 20 and got into my girlfriends car. I had no Idea what I was doing and it was nighttime as well. I was going up a big hill and one of my friends "met' me coming the opposite direction which caused me to stop mid-hill, luckily I didn't do any damage to the car. It was the last time I drove a manual, except for sim racing.

MilkyJoe

So I’m currently looking into buying a new car; the Toyota GR86.

I’m 35 and don’t know how to drive a manual but think I understand the basics, I think.

I currently drive an automatic transmission and looking to jump ship because hear it’s better.

Don’t really have anyone to borrow a manual car from so what are some tips while driving a manual transmission you may have to give?

Is it worth really time go manual over automatic?
Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

G-Bus

Banned
My first car was manuel. Have had one other since I drove for years.

I do like them more but after a while of city driving and stop and go traffic ehhhh.

1st 2nd 3rd... 2nd 1st.... 2nd... 1st...

A lot of fun to eat and drive haha. It's an art form.

Tams

I was born in Europe so I drove manual for 15 years before switching to automatic. You do not want to go back, automatic is all around better. Especially when you are driving in the city.
Driving in a city is just terrible in general.

And if you're even semi-decent at driving a manual, then urban driving shouldn't be as much of a drag that some make it out to be. I suspect that quite a few who do find manuals considerably more annoying in slow traffic are actually more sensitive to just being stuck in traffic.

Bragr

Banned
Reading this thread is weird. Around here we learn stick at age 15ish. It's a rite of passage almost. By the time you can get a license you already know what you're doing.

I've driven an automatic once in my life, and never again. It felt incredibly weird. Like playing an fps but you don't get strafe keys.
Yeah, it feels like someone asking about how to use a shower or something. I guess it's a cultural thing.

Amory

I had a friend try to teach me in HS and I just couldn't get the hang of it. Probably if I tried longer it wouldn't be that hard to learn, but it's also not super easy or intuitive. And manuals are just... kind of pointless nowadays? Like theres no benefits besides it being more "fun" and theres a lot more that can go wrong

Tams

I had a friend try to teach me in HS and I just couldn't get the hang of it. Probably if I tried longer it wouldn't be that hard to learn, but it's also not super easy or intuitive. And manuals are just... kind of pointless nowadays? Like theres no benefits besides it being more "fun" and theres a lot more that can go wrong
If I'm tired yet still have to drive, I find manuals much better at keeping me awake. You need to actually do something to get anywhere. And to me 'fun' in a car is very important, even for commuting.

Of course, motorway/highway driving is sleep-inducing no matter what transmission you have.

Last edited:
So let’s say a kid throws their ball into the road. What’s it like to slam on brakes? Or do we hit this kid?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Driving in a city is just terrible in general.

And if you're even semi-decent at driving a manual, then urban driving shouldn't be as much of a drag that some make it out to be. I suspect that quite a few who do find manuals considerably more annoying in slow traffic are actually more sensitive to just being stuck in traffic.
It's not urban driving it's traffic jams. Try travelling down I95 from DC on a Friday afternoon. You are gonna have at least an hour of 1st - 2nd - 1st -2nd -3rd -2nd -1st. On bad days you could have 2-3 hours of mainly that. It's annoying for anyone in an automatic, in a manual it must be hell.

Dural

So let’s say a kid throws their ball into the road. What’s it like to slam on brakes? Or do we hit this kid?

When you drive a manual daily it's just instinct to push in the clutch when pushing on the brake.

It's not urban driving it's traffic jams. Try travelling down I95 from DC on a Friday afternoon. You are gonna have at least an hour of 1st - 2nd - 1st -2nd -3rd -2nd -1st. On bad days you could have 2-3 hours of mainly that. It's annoying for anyone in an automatic, in a manual it must be hell.

Yeah, it gets annoying. It can be annoying at lights too, people like to creep forward in an automatic but in a manual you have to put it in gear go forward a few feet and take it out of gear and that can happen multiple times at one light. I usually would just sit there and not move.

From what I gather, you don’t really need to down shift coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or light. Put in clutch/neutral and then brake.

When slamming on brakes, clutch then brake.

Downshifting is more when you come to curvy roads, slow/steady traffics.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Are manual people satisfied by Electronic Dual Clutch systems or do they feel that also is losing too much control?

Ballthyrm

For a really long time the EU had manual cars because the car were smaller, they needed to be lighter and the engines were smaller too.
So you couldn't really put an automatic as the early automatic gearbox would steal too much Horsepower and the car would feel sluggish.

So there has been a really strong association between a car being automatic and sluggishness in Europe for a long time.

Nowadays the cars are getting bigger and a lot more powerful so there isn't any distinction anymore and you can see that in the sales figures.
Every year less and less manual are sold in Europe too.

I don't think manual is better unless you really like driving. Or you want it for performance reasons, like a sequential shifter or something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just curious how much improper driving do you need to do to fuck up gears?

My car is automatic but has that mode where you can drive manual too. I always drive automatic.

One day I was driving and my car kept stalling or and barely accelerated though I gun gassing it for a few blocks. I thought something was wrong with my car.

Turns out I guess I accidentally nudged the stick to manual mode and I was stuck in probably gear 1 or 2 as I couldnt drive past probably 40 km/hr. I then nudged it back to automatic and was fine. No issues came from it.

Superwave

Banned
I never thought I would get AT but that was all I could find in the car I wanted, so I got it. I like it, it's different I wouldn't necessarily compare it directly with MT since they are two different things with benefits and drawbacks for both.

But MT is best if you are a driver. It more fun. It's not hard to learn and it's satisfying to master - go for it, definitely. It's a big part of the driving experience. It will become second nature in a short while.

Last edited:

Dural

Double clutch solved the lack of momentum when shifting.

You don't even need a dual clutch for the quick shifting, there are a bunch of performance oriented automatic gearboxes that are fast. The 10 speed in the Camaro ZL1 1LE performed better on the track than the six speed manual when it was tested by Motor Trend.

Top Bottom