• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to drive a manual transmission

Automatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 89 74.8%

• Total voters

usctrojan

i learned for the first time on the way back from dealer. pulled into an empty parking lot near the dealer and just practiced for an hour (everything you read above and watch on youtube). then drove home on the freeway. it wasn't that hard and i had 0 experience beforehand.

dave_d

For a really long time the EU had manual cars because the car were smaller, they needed to be lighter and the engines were smaller too.
So you couldn't really put an automatic as the early automatic gearbox would steal too much Horsepower and the car would feel sluggish.

So there has been a really strong association between a car being automatic and sluggishness in Europe for a long time.
Well it probably doesn't hurt that a good portion of current transmissions have lockup torque converters. (Come to think of it don't most cars these days if they're an automatic come with that?)

Tams

You don't even need a dual clutch for the quick shifting, there are a bunch of performance oriented automatic gearboxes that are fast. The 10 speed in the Camaro ZL1 1LE performed better on the track than the six speed manual when it was tested by Motor Trend.
People haven't chosen manuals for faster gear shifting in years. Automatics got quicker (with fewer compromises) at that years ago.

It's just that driving an automatic is hardly being involved with the vehicle at all, and is therefore less fun. And for non-enthusiasts, inertia.

V4skunk

Banned
So I’m currently looking into buying a new car; the Toyota GR86.

I’m 35 and don’t know how to drive a manual but think I understand the basics, I think.

I currently drive an automatic transmission and looking to jump ship because hear it’s better.

Don’t really have anyone to borrow a manual car from so what are some tips while driving a manual transmission you may have to give?

Is it worth really time go manual over automatic?
There are too many bus riders here don't listen to them lol.
Best to get a driving lesson tbh.
But if not here is my basic guide assuming you understand the basics already.
1. Car ready to go with hand brake on!
2. Press the clutch in fully and hold.
3. Shift into first gear.
4. Rev engine to only 1500rpm.
5. Slowly release the clutch until you feel the car pull on the hand brake, this is called the biting point.
*If the car starts to judder/vibrate press the clutch in slightly more until it stops.
6. Release the hand brake and say 1234 in your head and time the release of the clutch so 1 being the start of the release from the biting point to 4 being fully depressed.
*If you stall out the engine by releasing the clutch too fast you can quickly smash down the clutch to recover, if you are quick enough.
Practice this and in 20 minutes you'll be good to go.
Also never force 1st into gear, if it does not go in it means you are going too fast.
1st gear will only go in at like less than 10mph and more like 6-7mph.

norm9

I picked up a 2020 toyota corolla hatchback manual last year without ever having known how to drive one, minus a one hour lesson 20 years ago and lots of time in Gran Turismo. Driving home after buying it was the most stressed i had ever been. So scary. It took a few weeks of stalling, overrevving and peeling out, terrible shifting, but once it clicked it clicked hard. It's very easy now.

I practiced by sitting in a giant ass parking lot for a few hours going from stop to 1st to 2nd over and over again.

Now, if I was in the market for a new car, would I still get a mannual? I think so. It makes driving much more fun than press gas and go from Point A to Point B.

edit- the technology nowadays makes driving a manual real easy. Mine has hill assist so the car doesn't go backwards on inclines. It also has intelligent manual something or other that helps with downshifting.

Last edited:
My taxes are filed and said should be 2-3 weeks now before I get them. Should be able to go in to order one soon.

I’m looking forward to driving it. Not many people in the area probably driving a Gr86. I’ve only seen one 86gt around and only seen it once.

I hear it’s very forgiving on the shifting and easy to learn it as a first manual owned car. One thing people complain about is the fake exhaust noise but it can be removed. Gonna need to put a new exhaust and a header. Make it sound real nice.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

My first two cars were manual and i always hated it. Never again.

I never liked driving though, especially with how people drive these days. I would love for completely self driving cars to become a reality.

Patrick S.

Banned
I think what's important, and what many people never spend a second to think about, is understanding what a clutch actually does, and what "gear ratio" means. If you understand the processes that happen in a gearbox, and the theory behind what happens when you press the clutch pedal, and what happens when you release it, all that's left is practice for a while. I had it down after my first practical lesson.

Top Bottom