• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to stop uploads on bittorrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbcamp

Banned
Well I got a warning from my cable company saying that I can't upload anymore using bittorrent and that I should find a way of using it without having to upload or my account will be terminated.

The bittorrent faq mentions a hack that'll stop uploads and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Also note that I have the experimental BT client that lets you control your uploads and downloads. (if anyone knows how to hack that, please do tell)

Belfast

Your downloads are proportional to your uploads. Not to mention that a lot of people hate leechers. So, uh, good luck.

Check your ISP contract. They might not be able to do that. If you purchased unlimited bandwidth and there really are no restrictions they can't tell you to stop. They're just trying to bully you around because you're costing them money than you're paying them, and they did not expect anybody could use the internet that much.

fbcamp

Banned
It's stated in the contract that the service can't be used as a server. Any uploading in excess of a few megs is considered using your pc as a server, so I really have no choice here. I either lose my internet or stop using bittorrent all together (and bittorrent is the only reason I really need broadband internet).

So if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

You could try programs like Azureus that can limit the upload speed, but putting it very low (under 5 kilobytes per second) will also limit the download speed.

The whole point of Bit Torrent is that you give what you take.

The "solution" isn't to find a hack that lets you download without uploading - it's to NOT USE BIT TORRENT. I know that's not what you want to hear, but anything else is like asking, "what's the best way to shoplift without getting caught?"

I'm assuming you're an Optimum Online member? Same thing happened to me. It doesn't clearly define what constitutes egregious uploading in their TOS and they can cap you at any time. If you need to use BT do it early in the morning, 3AM or later. It depends on how many people are on your node. During peak hours you use up the upload bandwidth for tons of people (while on BT), which red flags your account and gets you capped. When you do it when there are few people on you can more easily fly under the radar. It's a crapshoot either way, though. They have capped people for uploading 10 MB email attachments before, and I uploaded hundreds of gigabytes before I was capped for the first time.

andthebeatgoeson

This is about the only time I've found myself thanking Comcast and Verizon. I've never heard of anything like this. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of competition from a DSL provider? Cuz then you could threaten to leave and do it.

Jack Frost has the right idea. Just look for other ways to d/l things. If you are on a serious tracker, then they might ban your for leeching.

Kon Tiki

Banned
StrikerObi said:
Check your ISP contract. They might not be able to do that. If you purchased unlimited bandwidth and there really are no restrictions they can't tell you to stop. They're just trying to bully you around because you're costing them money than you're paying them, and they did not expect anybody could use the internet that much.

Some ISPs have Upload limits.

My ISP
limits.jpg

How well I listen

may.jpg

fbcamp

Banned
metsallica said:
I'm assuming you're an Optimum Online member? Same thing happened to me. It doesn't clearly define what constitutes egregious uploading in their TOS and they can cap you at any time. If you need to use BT do it early in the morning, 3AM or later. It depends on how many people are on your node. During peak hours you use up the upload bandwidth for tons of people (while on BT), which red flags your account and gets you capped. When you do it when there are few people on you can more easily fly under the radar. It's a crapshoot either way, though. They have capped people for uploading 10 MB email attachments before, and I uploaded hundreds of gigabytes before I was capped for the first time.

Same here, I downloaded thousands of tens of thousands of gigs and never had a problem. Then I go off to college, come back six months later and use it once to download some anime then bam I'm red flagged.

I don't know what these people are all bitching about, I've uploaded ten fold more than I've downloaded. One of my only reasons for using the internet is being taken away from me.

fbcamp

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
This is about the only time I've found myself thanking Comcast and Verizon. I've never heard of anything like this. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of competition from a DSL provider? Cuz then you could threaten to leave and do it.

Jack Frost has the right idea. Just look for other ways to d/l things. If you are on a serious tracker, then they might ban your for leeching.

I live in the new york city area and have the option to switch to Verizon (which I'm thinking about doing), but they have the same rules in their policy. I've been with optimum since day one. Never did I think I'd be put in this situation by a company that I've been so loyal too (especially when my friend uploads ten folds more than me and never gets flagged).

skinnyrattler said:

That's the only problem with OO, but I've had it since 1997 and have only been capped once. Even then, I got the cap reversed in minutes. The speeds are so ridiculous I won't even consider moving to another ISP and there are tons in my area.

optonline.jpg

See? I still use BT all the time, I'm just more careful.

Che

Banned
fbcamp said:
Well I got a warning from my cable company saying that I can't upload anymore using bittorrent and that I should find a way of using it without having to upload or my account will be terminated.

The bittorrent faq mentions a hack that'll stop uploads and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Also note that I have the experimental BT client that lets you control your uploads and downloads. (if anyone knows how to hack that, please do tell)

1) Call your ISP and tell them to fuck themselves off.
2) Change ISP.

Problem solved.

PS. I HATE leechers.

fbcamp

Banned
metsallica said:
That's the only problem with OO, but I've had it since 1997 and have only been capped once. Even then, I got the cap reversed in minutes. The speeds are so ridiculous I won't even consider moving to another ISP and there are tons in my area.

optonline.jpg

See? I still use BT all the time, I'm just more careful.

10.8 megabits per second

Communications 10.8 megabits per second
Storage 1.3 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.8 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

Diablos

How the fuck did they even find out? Did they call and ask you why you were uploading so much? Or did they invade your privacy and actually see you using bittorrent to upload data?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Diablos said:
How the fuck did they even find out? Did they call and ask you why you were uploading so much? Or did they invade your privacy and actually see you using bittorrent to upload data?

They monitor bandwidth and ports. It is their job to know what ports are for what programs. :p

"Your downloads are proportional to your uploads"

Not true. Many people have limited their upload to say...5, and still bang out 100+kbps downloads.

Diablos

Society said:
They monitor bandwidth and ports. It is their job to know what ports are for what programs. :p

Ahh yes, 6881 to 6889 is bittorrent.

But you can change that port number to something else in a lot of BitTorrent programs! Look up an old Windows 98 networking program and try to find the port numbers it used. :D

I use Shadow's client... If I set my connection speed to isdn/dialup once it starts going my download speed will skyrocket and i'll only upload at about 6kbs. On a torrent with a lot of seeders i'll easily hit 300+kbps downloads that way.

Diablos said:
Ahh yes, 6881 to 6889 is bittorrent.

But you can change that port number to something else in a lot of BitTorrent programs! Look up an old Windows 98 networking program and try to find the port numbers it used. :D

I just switched mine to 7881-7889. A lot of isps monitor the default BT ports.

Diablos

But any good group of people monitoring ports would also realize that a "7881" was quickly changed. Then again, I'm sure they use software that only reports ports used in a specific range.

Use Shadow's Experimental Bittorrent client (he changed the name, can't remember the new one). Set your "Connection Type" to Dialup/ISDN. This will cap your upload but NOT cap your download.

I don't use torrents myself (Bittorrent crashes my computer), but all of my other roommates did- and it clogged the hell out of the router and told them to find another solution so I can reliably play UT2k4 and FFXI, and they found this. It works beautifully.

tenchir

2.9 megabits per second

Communications 2.9 megabits per second
Storage 357.1 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.9 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Pachinko

My ISP is supposed to be only 10 gigs download and 2 gigs uploading every month. The don't complain to you until you start using 30 + gigs of bandwith though. and apparently you need to use up 100 gigs of bandwith in a month before they pretty well pull the plug on you.

I'm usually only using that limit up on the nose and frankly unless you are pirating stuff you shouldn't need more then that bandwith limit. With that said I kind of wish the defualt bit torrent client would never upload more then the download speed, I've been download a 1.3 gig torrent for a week now and I've got 400 megs or so left but I've uploaded probaly 2 gigs by now... :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tre said:
"Your downloads are proportional to your uploads"

Not true. Many people have limited their upload to say...5, and still bang out 100+kbps downloads.

Yep, I can max out my bandwidth and still upload at about 5k/sec. This is how I usually download stuff from bittorrent. But don't worry, I'm not a leecher...I keep the torrent window up for at least a day :p
It sucks having a crappy upload rate so I gotta limit the rate

ElyrionX

WOW! Take a look at the incredible results I got:

222.8 kilobits per second

Communication: 222.8 kilobits per second
Storage: 27.2 kilobytes per second
1MB File Download: 37.6 seconds
Subjective Rating: Mediocre

Does it matter if I take the test while downloading some stuff?

tenchir

ElyrionX said:
WOW! Take a look at the incredible results I got:

222.8 kilobits per second

Communication: 222.8 kilobits per second
Storage: 27.2 kilobytes per second
1MB File Download: 37.6 seconds
Subjective Rating: Mediocre

Does it matter if I take the test while downloading some stuff?

yeah.......... Are you being sarcastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom