• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how was hellboy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't come out at the movies here yet, but it did great at rotten tomatoes, I saw the poster and thought it looked like it could be really stupid. So I dunno. Any opinions?

Willco

Hollywood Square
It was a really faithful adaptation, that was enjoyable, but has its flaws. It kind of sputtered near the end, but I wouldn't say that should stop you from seeing a matinee.

calder

I thought it was pretty decent. Mainly, at the end you get the feeling that they might be able to make a really good Hellboy 2 now that they got all the hurried backstory and character intros out of the way.

Ecrofirt

I didn't enjoy it much at all.

It seemed like it was a lot of dead time, and then some action, and then more dead time, and then a bit of action. rinse & repeat

Willco

Hollywood Square
calder said:
I thought it was pretty decent. Mainly, at the end you get the feeling that they might be able to make a really good Hellboy 2 now that they got all the hurried backstory and character intros out of the way.

Yeah. Del Toro starts shooting Hellboy 2 sometime next year. I'm really looking forward to this. Ron Perlman was awesome as Hellboy, and I'd like to see some more Abe Sapien, who was criminally underused.

yeah the movie was pretty good, i enjoyed it i mean it could have been better but i still recommend u see it. i hope the 2nd one is better though

calder

Perlman was so good as Hellboy it was kinda freaky. Looked amazing like him (ignoring the great makeup and stuff, Perlman is a big guy) but his attitude and delivery were *exactly* right.

Hellboy 2 has been confirmed? Great if so, as I said I thought #1 was good, but they can really make 2 *great* with the cast and production team they have now and without having to explain so much. I had thought the movie did ok at the BO but nothing spectacular, but the groundwork for a very popular series is there that's for sure.

Willco

Hollywood Square
calder said:
Perlman was so good as Hellboy it was kinda freaky. Looked amazing like him (ignoring the great makeup and stuff, Perlman is a big guy) but his attitude and delivery were *exactly* right.

Hellboy 2 has been confirmed? Great if so, as I said I thought #1 was good, but they can really make 2 *great* with the cast and production team they have now and without having to explain so much. I had thought the movie did ok at the BO but nothing spectacular, but the groundwork for a very popular series is there that's for sure.

Hellboy 2 was confirmed awhile ago, but it's been pushed back all the way until 2006, as Del Toro wants to make a smaller film and won't start production on Hellboy 2 until sometime early winter 2005. Everybody is signed to come back.

Hellboy made about $60 million here, which is pretty good for a flick made well under $100 million (actually, I think it cost about $60 million to make) and that's not including overseas gross. It hasn't even come out in the UK, which I'm guessing the topic starter hails from, and I'm guessing it'll do a great deal of business. And Del Toro has plans for a two DVDs. One for the theatrical release and one for the comic book fanboys.

Revolutions views this as one of those things that'll grow a fanbase, kind of like Austin Powers. Plus, they're cheap to make under Del Toro's hand. $60 million is nothing. They'll probably do ten times that business come this holiday season when the uber DVD set is released.

I liked it, prettyfun one thing during the ending annoyed me, but not enough to make me not like the movie.

Alot of people I know hated the movie...go fig.

Trevelyon

Yep, shooting is scheduled to start in August of next year, Phil Tippet & the Spectural motion team are back on board as with Perlman.... of course. Guillermo is shooting Pan's Labyrinth a small Spanish flick soon, after Dreamworks shot down 'At the Mountains of Madness' (bastards) but Mignola & Del Toro are well into the first drafts for Hellboy 2.

Oh... and Federman's boy! is being heavily considered to play Lobster Johnson, as says Del Toro. ;) Hellboy opens in NZ & Australia on the 19th of August, if you were wondering Catfish.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Trevelyon said:
Oh... and Federman's boy! is being heavily considered to play Lobster Johnson, as says Del Toro. ;) Hellboy opens in NZ & Australia on the 19th of August, if you were wondering Catfish.

Yes, Bruce Campbell as Lobster Johnson is the greatest idea since Bruce Campbell as Ash or Bruce Campbell in Spider-Man.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Trevelyon said:
Hellboy opens in NZ & Australia on the 19th of August, if you were wondering Catfish.

Whats that familiar feeling? Oh right, the shaft.

Oh well that spiderman thing should tide me over, I guess....

Mason

I thought I should balance things out here by giving my opinion: Hellboy sucked. Granted, I don't jizz myself over comic book movies like half the people at GAF, but I really liked the X-Men movies and thought Road to Perdition was awesome. So it's not like I have some bitter hatred for comic book flicks.

Anyway, Hellboy wasn't HORRIBLE, but a lot of the dialogue was bad, the plot was typical comic book fare, and it just wasn't that much fun to watch.

I hated it. Biggest disappointment this year.

Not funny and the story and characters were just blah...

I'd watch Riddick 5 more times before I'll sit and watch Hellboy again (yes I hate it that much)!

Also, the whole audience seemed to mirror my thoughts on this as well.

MASB

I had never read any of the comic books before watching the movie, so I wasn't a Hellboy fan going into it. I thought the movie was pretty good. I think the second movie will be better now that the introductions are over. Perlman was great as Hellboy and Hellboy's father was good too.

Hellboy's sort of girlfriend(Sarah?), is she in the comic books? I've glanced through them and haven't seen her character. I've bought the first Hellboy TPB. I need to read the darn thing. :p

Make that 5 idiots. I never read the comic and I felt it was dull. It felt rushed and they didn't spend enough time developing the characters. The action was just OK. The jokes also also fell flat. Not really bad, just extremely average.

Who the hell said Hellboy was BETTER than Ghost World? Moron.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Team Rancid said:
Who the hell said Hellboy was BETTER than Ghost World? Moron.

You should learn to read. Nomoment said that the only comic book movies better than Hellboy were Spider-Man and Ghost World.

CrunchyB

I liked it. Sure, the ending was a bit dissapointing and there was a general lack of enemy variety, but overall it was a solid flick. And of course, Kroenen the undead-cyborg-nazi-ninja was a blast :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fun movie... incredibly anti-climatic final battle though. Korenen did rock.

I thought it was a great movie. It has a great sense of humor and Ron Perlman is perfect as Hellboy. I have never read the comic books so I can't judge how faithful it is to its source, but as a movie it is well-crafted and entertaining.

As of now it is my favorite comic book movie (yes, I think it is better than Spiderman), but I have a strong feeling that Spiderman 2 will be awesome.

I creamed my shorts.

Hellboy was a lot of fun.

Inevitable comparison to Spiderman: I felt Hellboy retained the spirit and off kilter sense of humor of the comics, some of those awful lines are just because HB really isn't all that. It also helps that Hellboy doesn't have some 40+ years of excess baggage to retroactively recondition for modern audiences.

Put me down for one comic nerd DVD and a seat at the Cinemark for the sequel.

Against my better judgement I'm probably going to see Spiderman 2. In the hopes that it will be to Spiderman, what Blade 2 was to Blade.

It also helps that I'm indifferent to Liz in the movie, as opposed to getting some average white trash looking girl to play what's been passed off as a supermodel for years in the comics. Bash away. The TV tells you she's hot, so I expect nothing but retaliation.

Give me Christina Ricci and her catchers mitt forehead any day of the week.

Not to say I think she'd be a better M.J., just that of the Hollywood jailbait turned legal, she's the one who's face I'd rather blow a load on.

HOO HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom