• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC solves the problem of your oversized smartphone by giving you a second tiny phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

Pretty funny. But, honestly, I'm less surprised that this ridiculous concept came out than a flagship 3.5" - 4" Android phone instead.

If that happens, then I'd be really amazed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
IMG_0219-300x225.jpg

Tobor

Pretty funny. But, honestly, I'm less surprised that this ridiculous concept came out than a flagship 3.5" - 4" Android phone instead.

If that happens, then I'd be really amazed.

Happens again, you mean. Android phones used to be a reasonable size.

Hopefully this nonsense is the first step towards a return to sanity.

Goldrush

I think it's a great idea. For me, the use is limited, but I could see it being especially useful for someone who actually makes a lot of phone call. It's a headset where you can dial out easily. Therefore, less wear and tear on the smartphone and longer battery life from leaving the screen off.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Happens again, you mean. Android phones used to be a reasonable size.

Hopefully this nonsense is the first step towards a return to sanity.

No thanks. My GS3 is a perfect size. Bigger than I'd want for a phone, but as a single device that does so much more, I couldn't go back to anything smaller.

This doesn't really solve the problem who think the phone is too big in their pocket. Unless you're a woman with a purse.

Programmable matter. A cell phone needs to be able to grow and shrink to fit our needs and a less distant and better solution would be google glasses.

The first step.... is admitting you have a problem.

No wonder HTC's market share is in freefall. Their hardware isn't anything special, Sense is terribile and their fixation on gigantic screens has resulted in... This.

Oxirane

Put this into a watch and everyone loses their mind.

There a many bluetooth handsets (not headsets) available like the Samsung HM5000 of some other devices from asia. Putting more functions into them seems reasonable. Some people may find it more convenient to use a smaller separate handset for some tasks. Especially when some people are so judgmental about others using headsets or large screen phones during a call.

I also remember when people would put Bluetooth headsets into old Nokia phones to stop their expensive phones from getting stolen.

iamblades

It's a good idea, questionable implementation. too big relative to the main phone and not really an interesting design.

Touchscreen phones are absolutely shit at being actual phones, even the 3.5 inch ones. the 4.5+ ones are more useful at what people actually use smartphones for, apps/texting/email/web browsing. I don't know anyone who actually has phone conversations longer than 'hey grab some milk at the store on the way home' using a smartphone as a handset. If you have more than 20 words to say you will either speakerphone it or use a bluetooth headset. A bluetooth handset makes a decent third option.

IMO the biggest phone I can fit comfortably in my pocket is the size I want. That's right around 5 inches for most of my clothes.

Korey

It's a good idea, questionable implementation. too big relative to the main phone and not really an interesting design.

Touchscreen phones are absolutely shit at being actual phones, even the 3.5 inch ones. the 4.5+ ones are more useful at what people actually use smartphones for, apps/texting/email/web browsing. I don't know anyone who actually has phone conversations longer than 'hey grab some milk at the store on the way home' using a smartphone as a handset. If you have more than 20 words to say you will either speakerphone it or use a bluetooth headset. A bluetooth handset makes a decent third option.

IMO the biggest phone I can fit comfortably in my pocket is the size I want. That's right around 5 inches for most of my clothes.

I think this would only be useful if you kept it at home for extended conversations. Not something that you carried around with you WITH your phone.

clav

I think this would only be useful if you kept it at home for extended conversations. Not something that you carried around with you WITH your phone.

I don't see the point of carrying two devices to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom