• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huffington Post: Room full of men decides fate of women’s health care

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence met with a group of conservative male lawmakers to determine the fate of maternity coverage in health care plans Thursday.

Members of the House Freedom Caucus, which is composed of all men, went to the White House to talk with the president about what changes they’d like to see to the GOP health care bill. One of the major adjustments would be no longer requiring insurance companies to offer maternity care in all health plans.

Pence proudly tweeted a photo of the meeting, which didn’t feature a single woman (although White House counselor Kellyanne Conway was reportedly there):

oUEvBlG.jpg

Another photo, tweeted by Trump’s social media director, showed two women standing in the background:

yf0HqRj.jpg

The Affordable Care Act created a list of 10 essential health benefits that all health insurance plans must cover. Pregnancy, newborn and maternity care are on that list.

Before the Affordable Care Act became law in 2010, the insurance market was a bleak place for women. They often had to pay more than men for the same coverage. Only 12 percent of individual market plans covered maternity care. And it was completely legal for insurance companies to refuse coverage to women who were pregnant or might become pregnant in the future.

But many Republicans argue that this pre-2010 system was better, because men shouldn’t have to pay for things like maternity care. Republicans argue that premiums will go down if people can shop around more for a la carte services.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters Thursday that the GOP health care bill could end up “making being a woman a pre-existing condition.”

“Stripping guaranteed maternity care is a pregnancy tax, pure and simple,” she said.

Jenov

"But many Republicans argue that this pre-2010 system was better, because men shouldn't have to pay for things like maternity care. Republicans argue that premiums will go down if people can shop around more for a la carte services. "

Yeah, what do men have to do with pregnancy anyways!?!! Pfft, gimme my tax breaks!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"But many Republicans argue that this pre-2010 system was better, because men shouldn't have to pay for things like maternity care. Republicans argue that premiums will go down if people can shop around more for a la carte services. "

Yeah, what do men have to do with pregnancy anyways!?!! Pfft, gimme my tax breaks!

This is one of my favorite signs from a protest a few weeks ago:

Maligna

Banned
"Gentlemen, we're ALL scared of the female vagina. but the question remains, how best can we find it and how do we kill it?"

D i Z

You get what you vote for, I guess.
No photo op marches are going to get women back the options and control that we need them to have until they start to shut these men out of consideration.

ZaCH3000

This disgusts me. It's disappointing to see a room full of men make decisions on woman's rights, health and bodies. Even though it's to be expected, it is nevertheless baffling to see in this day and age.

Hopefully shit like this fuels woman protesters even more, and ignites other protests as well.

KSweeley

This is so angering to me. I'm a man, I personally feel men should have ZERO influence in anything dealing with women.

norm9

With such an important bill, it's best to make sure everyone in the room can keep their emotions in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom