• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Fast-Food Workers Strike for Living Wage, Inspired by Wal-Mart Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love marketplace apostles.

"Minimum wages hurt employment!"

Evidence to the contrary.

"Well, the current level of minimum wage might be okay, but anything over than and it's UNEMPLOYMENT FOR ALL; trust us, sure, we wrong about it before, but this time we're super serious".

Who is this in response to and more importantly, did you even read the entire article?

Javaman

Instead of increasing minimum wage why doesn't the government just subsidize things that are essential to live in a developed country like shelter, food, transportation, healthcare, education, internet etc. all of which will have a less damaging effect (in fact, will have a positive effect) on the economy.

Increasing minimum wages just means more unemployment and passing cost on to consumers disregarding their ability to pay, and will be back to where we started.

The country is already in enough debt as it is. Who is going to pay for all of that? You're talking MASSIVE bucks.

Piecake

Who is this in response to and more importantly, did you even read the entire article?

I'm sure he read the article, and was responding to people who simply refuse to accept evidence when it contradicts their opinion (Sadly, there exists a lot of those people)

The country is already in enough debt as it is. Who is going to pay for all of that? You're talking MASSIVE bucks.

We would save a shit ton of money if we had a govt run single payer system, and I'd imagine we would save money if our public universities were completely govt funded. Obviously, we would have to raise taxes, but the lower and middle class wouldnt have to go into massive debt to pay for education and have a large chunk of their paycheck to pay for health insurance that still doesnt cover all the costs due to co-pays, limits and the like

How is it stupid?

A costco and home depot pull in much more revenue per store than what McDonalds does.

They can afford to pay more
That doesn't matter. Sunk product cost as well as rent and utilities are much smaller for a Mcdonalds. Profit margin on fast food is insane as well. They can afford it.

And cost of living vs minimum wage works on a sliding scale. When minimum wage rises, so does cost of living...just not nearly at the same rate.

Chichikov

In response to the post I quoted (as it usually works on internet forums) and yes.
Do you have anything substantial to add to the discussion or are you merely commenting on my posting skills?

Puddles

Banned
Welcome to the free market, my friend. Unskilled workers earn unskilled wages.

That isn't a very good defense of the free market, is it?

You make an argument like that, you're going to get a lot of people wondering why we go with a free market system in the first place.

Puddles

Banned
Man, this thread is hilarious. So many people who took Introduction to Microeconomics as college freshmen and think they're experts.

Hex

Banned
Most fast food workers are unskilled people who can not get another job.
They are also easily replaced, and as much as minimum wage sucks you can not treat all workers and all jobs equally.
I understand that some are good workers but many are not.

Puddles

Banned
By all means, regale us with your wisdom.

Well the idea that raising the minimum wage is useless because prices will just rise in exact proportion and will completely wipe out the minimum wage increase is just ridiculous.

Prices of certain inputs would rise, and so you would see a general increase in prices, especially in industries that use a lot of unskilled labor. But it certainly wouldn't be enough of an increase to completely cancel out the benefits of an increased wage, because most of the labor force already makes more than the minimum wage and would be unaffected by it. It also wouldn't increase the cost of inputs from foreign countries.

These days you have to work more than one job just to get by. Many people who have full time jobs making what would be considered a liveable salary also have to work an additional part time job.

There are many things that need to change though I personally don't know where to start.

Slavik81

Well the idea that raising the minimum wage is useless because prices will just rise in exact proportion and will completely wipe out the minimum wage increase is just ridiculous.

Prices of certain inputs would rise, and so you would see a general increase in prices, especially in industries that use a lot of unskilled labor. But it certainly wouldn't be enough of an increase to completely cancel out the benefits of an increased wage, because most of the labor force already makes more than the minimum wage and would be unaffected by it. It also wouldn't increase the cost of inputs from foreign countries.
That is the sort of thing you would learn in a 1st year microeconomics class!

The better example I think, is that while simple microeconomics might predict that a minimum wage causes unemployment, collected evidence shows otherwise (at least at the levels studied). There was an Economist article about it recently, and someone linked it here, *puts on hipster glasses*, though I heard about it years ago.

While I do feel for those who are required to live on such a paltry wage, the amount of complaining here and elsewhere when you see a McDouble cost $2.49 and a value meal approach $10.00 would be off the charts.

Then again fast food places will just turn more automated as a result. I know here the local Jack in the Box's have kiosks where you punch in your order. These companies will find ways to hire less people + pass the expense onto the consumer.

Puddles

Banned
These days you have to work more than one job just to get by. Many people who have full time jobs making what would be considered a liveable salary also have to work an additional part time job.

There are many things that need to change though I personally don't know where to start.

We have more than enough resources to provide a decent living to everyone working in a full-time job. The resources just aren't being distributed properly.

Piecake

We can start by taxing all capital gains and dividends at 40% (most middle class investors invest in tax advantaged accounts), income over 10 million at 50%, capping deductions at 50k (I like Romney's idea), adopting a govt single payer health care system and fully funding public universities (though the cost of college should go down with a government run health care system because colleges spend a crap ton of money to offer health care for their employees)

Dali

Good for them. Its ridiculous how some laborers are exploited. Its modern day slavery... or maybe subsistence farming would be a better comparison. Either way I think its great they're banding together and unionizing. I hope this ends well and their corporate overlords hear their displeasure and must come to some sort of agreement.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
While I do feel for those who are required to live on such a paltry wage, the amount of complaining here and elsewhere when you see a McDouble cost $2.49 and a value meal approach $10.00 would be off the charts.
This wouldn't happen.
You give them 15 an hour for unskilled labor any idiot can do then you'd better increase the wages of everyone in America 200% in turn to account for skilled and educated labor.
Top of scale for a grocery worker is $17/hr+ in some areas. Welcome to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom