• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Fast-Food Workers Strike for Living Wage, Inspired by Wal-Mart Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I guess I don't care if it's a working formula if it also happens to keep people in poverty.

The minimum wage needs to be higher.

Edit: Oh, 15? Baby steps. 9.50 or 10 is a good transition. Maybe they're just shooting high so the mediation hits what they want.

Tapiozona

Banned
You give them 15 an hour for unskilled labor any idiot can do then you'd better increase the wages of everyone in America 200% in turn to account for skilled and educated labor.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Something something cost of living.

Australia is the perfect example of the results of a high minimum wage, everything costs about double, so nothing is accomplished at all.

McDonald's raising their wages wouldn't increase the minimum wage.

Izayoi

Banned
But what about the families searching for opportunity for their children with both the father and mother working multiple jobs whom rely on McDonald's dollar menu to actually be a dollar menu - not a dollar fifty menu - to feed five hungry mouths among other expenses? This is a devils advocate argument just for reference. However, with the way this discussion has went, I think it is an interesting perspective to call attention to.
Anyone who regularly feeds their family at McDonalds has far more money than I do, and I'm pretty well off.

Feeding five hungry mouths can be accomplished for far less by making your meals at home.

Whats worse is that 99% of poor people have refridgerators
And some even have TVs! And couches!

I even saw a dirty poor the other day with a bed. The horror!

Tapiozona

Banned
Because doing unskilled labor means you shouldn't be able to reasonably afford things.

It just means you've created artificial demand for a product in high supply. Many skilled labor jobs pay 15 an hour. If McDonald's is paying that much they'll have to raise their wages in turn, etc, etc. Wages across the board would be raised thereby raising prices and creating inflation.

Interesting and relevant article. I wonder what is causing more job creation in NJ. It seems that effect is alluding economists and with good reason.

Advocacy for moderate increases to wage floors is understandable and obvious. A healthy economy allows these increases to happen.

Edit:
Its $10.25 here in Canada. I didn't know it was still $7 in the US.

It varies state to state. In MA I believe it's $8.00 and $8.50 in NJ.

diamount

Banned
More or less insane than paying someone millions of dollars a year to be a CEO or professional athlete/actor?

If they make those companies lots of money then why wouldn't'#t they pay out of their nose to keep them? These non-skilled workers are replaceable, they are lucky to even have a job in this climate. There would be hundreds of people waiting outside for a minimum wage job

Tapiozona

Banned
And why is that not a good thing? Take it out of CEO pay.

To quote myself

It just means you've created artificial demand for a product in high supply. Many skilled labor jobs pay 15 an hour. If McDonald's is paying that much they'll have to raise their wages in turn, etc, etc. Wages across the board would be raised thereby raising prices and creating inflation.

It's not rocket science. Only people who think this makes sense are people making 7 bucks an hour. Go figure

Angry Fork

To quote myself

It's not rocket science. Only people who think this makes sense are people making 7 bucks an hour. Go figure

Limiting CEO pay can offshoot costs of raising wages across the board, that's the point I was making. It doesn't require raising prices and even if it did that's better than unlivable wages.

Dhx

Limiting CEO pay can offshoot costs of raising wages across the board, that's the point I was making. It doesn't require raising prices and even if it did that's better than unlivable wages.

CEO pay is just a juicy target with no real meat, ala income taxes on the top bracket.

The CEO of McDonald's , the nation's largest hamburger chain, received compensation valued at $17.6 million for 2009, an increase of 29%

Alright, let's divy this up.

Number of Employees breakdown for McDonalds
Number of Employees shows total number of permanent full time and part time employees working for a given company and processed through its payroll.
McDonalds

Number of Employees = Full Time + Part Time = 420 K

Employee typically refers to an individual working under a contract of employment, whether oral or written, express or implied, and has recognized his or her rights and duties. Most officers of corporations are included as employees and contractors are generally excluded.

$41.90 for each employee per year?
2 cents per hour of full time employment?

I suppose we could narrow this number down to minimum wage employees but you get the idea.

Also, from April 2011:

McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement. Previously, it said it planned to hire 50,000.

The April 19 national hiring day was the company’s first, said Danya Proud, a McDonald’s spokeswoman. She declined to disclose how many of the jobs were full- versus part-time. McDonald’s employed 400,000 workers worldwide at company-owned stores at the end of 2010, according to a company filing.

rCIZZLE

CEO pay is just a juicy target with no real meat, ala income taxes on the top bracket.

Alright, let's divy this up.

$41.90 for each employee per year?
2 cents per hour of full time employment?

I suppose we could narrow this number down to minimum wage employees but you get the idea.

I've never understood this mentality that simply targeting the CEOs pay will solve all of the problems. Heard that all the time on campus when people claimed that the auto industry wouldn't have been in trouble if the people at the top took less.

Piecake

Yup, its sheer coincidence that exploding CEO pay, low taxes and incredibly low capital gains tax has coincided with an ever increasing wealth inequality between the top 1% and the rest and stagnant/reduction in purchasing power for the rest of the nation

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-fix-the-economy-in-one-simple-chart-2012-8

course, his solution is pure fantasy, but he has nice figures and graphs

Dhx

Yup, its sheer coincidence that exploding CEO pay, low taxes and incredibly low capital gains tax has coincided with an ever increasing wealth inequality between the top 1% and the rest and stagnant/reduction in purchasing power for the rest of the nation

I'm willing to listen if you can walk me through the numbers. But to simply make a statement that CEO pay affects minimum wage workers isn't supported by the math. You would have to broaden the pool to the entire corporate management structure to even begin finding the numbers.

His solution supports what I just mentioned above.

We persuade American corporations (and their owners) to hire more employees and pay them more, thus giving these employees (American consumers) more spending money.

Jerry Maguire might have put it this way:

"Lower profits, higher wages."

Yes, reduction of profit would be the key to paying workers more, not reduction of CEO pay. Now, the consequences of profit reduction would quickly play out as well with a publicly traded company, but that's a different discussion entirely.

My own unfounded suspicion is that income inequality has much more to do with the increase in large, publicly traded companies that have long left the stewardship of their founder and are now 100% profit motivated with no personal stake in the employees.

Piecake

I'm willing to listen if you can walk me through the numbers. But to simply make a statement that CEO pay affects minimum wage workers isn't supported by the math. You would have to broaden the pool to the entire corporate management structure to even begin finding the numbers.

I edited my post to include a link with some figures and graphs for you.

Replicant

$7.25? How can they live with such little amount? They must be jelly if they find out that McDonald's Australia pays $16/hour. That was my minimum wage back then in 1995.

Piecake

His solution supports what I just mentioned above.

Yes, reduction of profit would be the key to paying workers more, not reduction of CEO pay. Now, the consequences of profit reduction would quickly play out as well with a publicly traded company, but that's a different discussion entirely.

My own unfounded suspicion is that income inequality has much more to do with the increase in large, publicly traded companies that have long left the stewardship of their founder and are now 100% profit motivated with no personal stake in the employees.

The problem is, is that his solution wont work because, like you mentioned, CEOs are beholden to their shareholders who demand short term profits for a hefty stock price.

Rootbeer

Banned
Good... pay them more and raise prices, give me more good reasons not to eat fast food. The workers have my sympathy but in the rare occasions that I do eat fast food it's only because it's cheap, the fast part is fully secondary. As soon as the cheap part is removed I'm out completely. Unless they dramatically raise quality which I see never happening.

Mistake

It may be 9 pages in, but I thought I would share some of my experiences. I worked at a McDonalds for about a year at $8.20, and had a one bedroom apartment for $550 a month with everything but electric ($30 max a month). I was one lucky bastard to have that apartment, because everything else was more expensive, and without any utilities. A studio where I lived would break even, if not cost more than $550. Also, it's not possible to share a one bedroom if you want any kind of privacy, or if you can't find someone you can trust. I tried and it was a disaster.

-If I wasn't able to get 40+ hours a week, I couldn't do it. Same if my wage were lower.
-If I had to pay a higher rent than this, I couldn't do it
-My tracphone was only for emergencies or short work calls
-I went to the pantry on a regular basis. My diet was ramen, cereal, pasta, chicken, rice, and canned vegetables. If there wasn't a pantry, I couldn't do it. Peanut butter and jelly was my only work lunch. I applied for food stamps but never saw them, and any money I saved went to eating a little better or put aside for emergencies.
-I did not drive my car (and insurance was optional thank god). Gas was also for emergencies or groceries, I walked to work.
-Health insurance? Dental? Nope. However, the hospitals and physicians where I lived did financial assistance so I could get covered 100% (but still no dental)

Some additional things to point out would be that I had no dependents, no debts, no high end prescription costs, my vehicle was reliable, and that more hours would lead to a less healthy diet and less sleep (which happened time to time).

I could live, but man did it suck.

gondwana

what's really at hand here is a firm's ability to make profit; they don't act with any other consideration. whether their workers have economic security or enough disposable income for leisure, human capital, family, etc. is absolutely not a factor in their decision making or the laws of motion reproducing capitalist activity at large. creditors and governments can pick up the slack and buffer the low wages they pay. a wage is only 'too low' from a capitalist's perspective if their workforce can't return the next day to generate a surplus from their labour. i'm sorry to say, a $7.25 hour wage is indeed a livable wage in the sense it keeps them fed, alive and back at the grill the next day to extract profit from

large firms need to stay competitive and hire the most talented/experienced management possible. the grotesque executive pay doled out to top the of the company comes with that. even if governments created a ceiling on pay, that money wouldn't return to the workers at the bottom but be paid out in dividends or more likely invested and circulated in such a way to improve the firm's competitive position

magenta

I can only imagine that if McDonald's does get forced to up their minimum wage then they will respond with further automation within franchisees to cut down employee headcount in an effort to minimize labor costs. Won't be immediate but will happen in time.

They are already trialling self serve ordering kiosks here in Australia, you don't even have to interact with a cashier if you don't want. Order with your iPhone, pay via Visa or MasterCard, grab your receipt with meal ticket number and wait. Bet it catches on.

wildfire

Banned
Shit, where I live you have people with degrees and certifications that don't make $15 an hour starting out. They can go to hell with wanting 15 bucks an hour to do part time work at a fast food joint. I would almost be on their side if what they ask for was reasonable. Go get a better job, get a better set of skills if you have to.

They do live in NYC so $15 isn't out line. If this was anywhere else outside of San Fran your point would be valid.

Keio

For a Finer World
Indeed.

Working at a fast food joint shouldn't be the end-goal of one's career path. That is, unless you plan on going into management
And what if it wasn't the plan but that's where luck drops you to? You get cancer, get injured by a drunk driver, something else bad happens - do we just shrug and leave those people to work as pay slaves? It's no ones dream but how does that deny them the right for dignified pay?

n64coder

People getting paid millions because they won the genetic lottery is one of the biggest injustices of today.
I'd say fastfood "cooks" provide more valuable services than athletes or many (not all) politicians.

Yes, it does seem unfair that someone like Brad Pitt can make $15M per film but he is an entertainer who reaches out to millions of people. People are willing to pay $10 to see a movie or pay $15 for the DVD/blu-ray, cable income, pay-per-view, streaming, etc all help to rake in more money for his film. A film with Brad is likely to rake in $500M lifetime revenue over some film with a nobody in it. If people stop going to the movies or watching film, then there will be less money and consequently Brad won't make as much.

A NFL football player like Tom Brady makes $20M a season. An average football stadium holds 70K people paying $100 each for $7M/game plus concessions, parking, apparel with many more people watching on TV. Someone like Tom makes it more likely to get you into the Super Bowl which means even more revenue. People stop going to games or watching it on TV means less revenue and then less pay for Tom.

Those people make big money since they have a big impact on incoming revenue.

I'm conflicted on the whole situation. A part of me says a McDonald's cashier shouldn't be paid $15/hr, yet at the same time, how much revenue does the company earn yearly? At Sports Authority, they pay $8 million to name a goddamn stadium, yet they can't give us payroll for the holidays. Effed up shit.

McDonalds, Sports Authority are corporations controlled by shareholders. I own stock/mutual funds through my IRA/401K and private holdings. Many other people do. A goal of a corporation is to make money to return to shareholders in the form of higher stock prices or dividends. If people think a company is crap, there is less demand for the stock and the price goes down. The reason Sports Authority pay $8M is to get their name recognition up so that consumers want to go to their stores. If nobody knows Sports Authority, do you think people will go to their stores and spend money?

You got a good point. I mean, if fast food places where I live paid even $10 an hour you would see the lowly factory workers here jumping ship to work at McDonald and Burger King. It took me 7 years and 2 layoffs and a move to under management to even make $14 an hour at my last job and that was with shift premium for working 3rd.

It's supply and demand. If you offer a job that pays $8/hr and you're getting enough quality applicants, then why pay more? If no one is applying for your job or you're not getting crappy applicants, then you'll increase your pay.

I remember working at Ponderosa steakhouse making $3.15/hr in high school. One of my colleagues quit to work at a supermarket as a bagger to make $4.50/hr. He was an excellent worker like me and a few others. The restaurant's response was to bump myself and the excellent coworkers to $4.50/hr in order to retain the good people. Supply and demand.

A poster posted this earlier and I think it deserves more attention because it is the reality of how a McDonald's operates.

mA5qv.jpg

My father-in-law owned few restaurants and yes, he made a good living. He has several houses, a big boat, several cars. I would say his net-worth is around $5-6M. But he worked his ass off to get there. He grew up in a poor family. He didn't spend much time with the family while the kids were growing up because he was always at the restaurants, overseeing things, dealing with customers. In his business, yes, he had some good workers but he also had a bunch of idiots who call in sick, not doing their job, etc. It's a stressful way to make a lot of money.

Unchecked immigration keeps unskilled labor wages low. The US would seriously need to consider closing it's borders before it can think about raising the minimum wage to $10+/hr

Agreed. It goes back to supply/demand. There's enough workers willing to work for crappy wages.

ultim8p00

Banned
While I think $7.5 an hour is on the small end, paying a fastfood worker $15 an hour sounds like a joke. It's not going to happen. That's almost what teachers make. You want to get paid that much you need to go to school.

Enron

Banned
the grotesque executive pay doled out to top the of the company comes with that. even if governments created a ceiling on pay, that money wouldn't return to the workers at the bottom but be paid out in dividends or more likely invested and circulated in such a way to improve the firm's competitive position

This. I'm always surprised when these sorts of threads crop up that more people don't realize this.

Being a CEO does not require skills.

brb applying for CEO jobs

Zaptruder

Banned
While I think $7.5 an hour is on the small end, paying a fastfood worker $15 an hour sounds like a joke. It's not going to happen. That's almost what teachers make. You want to get paid that much you need to go to school.

The whole low end of the pay curve needs to be adjusted up.

No one (sane) is saying that fast food workers should be paid doubled while nothing else changes.

Rough situation, every single worker could be fired at once and there is still enough demand to where all those jobs could be replaced the next day

Instead of increasing minimum wage why doesn't the government just subsidize things that are essential to live in a developed country like shelter, food, transportation, healthcare, education, internet etc. all of which will have a less damaging effect (in fact, will have a positive effect) on the economy.

Increasing minimum wages just means more unemployment and passing cost on to consumers disregarding their ability to pay, and will be back to where we started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom