• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HURRICANE WARNING! for North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/022354.shtml

WTNT31 KNHC 030233
TCPAT1
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM ALEX ADVISORY NUMBER 11
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT MON AUG 02 2004

...ALEX STRENGTHENING AS IT MOVES CLOSER TO THE NORTH CAROLINA
COAST...COULD BECOME A HURRICANE ON TUESDAY...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM CAPE LOOKOUT TO OREGON INLET
NORTH CAROLINA...INCLUDING THE PAMLICO SOUND. THIS MEANS THAT
HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA DURING
THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD
BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

ALEX IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 9 MPH. THIS GENERAL
MOTION...WITH A GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED...IS EXPECTED
FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF ALEX
IS FORECAST TO PASS VERY NEAR THE NORTH CAROLINA OUTER BANKS ON
TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 70 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME
SLIGHT STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST AND ALEX COULD BECOME A HURRICANE
ON TUESDAY.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE
CENTER.

Ferrio

Banned
Woohoo haven't had a hurrican with my name in awhile, and I'm not living in the south anymore either.

Is that in northern or southern North Carolina? My sister lives in Willmington, which is in the way south (close to South Carolina) near the coast.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
StrikerObi said:
Is that in northern or southern North Carolina? My sister lives in Willmington, which is in the way south (close to South Carolina) near the coast.
That's my hometown!

Yeah we've been hit quite a few times, hurricane parties can be fun. You should see the keg store right before one hits, they're overloaded.

Matlock

Banned
hurricane1.jpg

Seriously, though, hope nothing too bad comes of this.

DJ_Tet

Banned
StrikerObi said:

Should hit the whole coast, from northern SC all the way up towards Hatteras.

This thing has been just chilling off the coast for two days, might get pretty hairy when it finally hits. It was supposed the come last night (as of two days ago) and it just sat in the ocean gathering strength.

Being the sadist that I am, I'm pulling for a turn inland so we can get some Tropical Storm loving here :)

DJ_Tet

Banned
That's in South Carolina, it's currently off of the Myrtle Beach coast. That area should be fairly safe from any real pummeling.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hah, thanks to the deal Charlotte made with the Gods after Hugo, those jerks on the coast get every hurricane that would have been headed our way. ;)

DJ_Tet

Banned
Hugo was fun wasn't it? :)

Out of power from Thursday to Thursday for our neighborhood.

The height of Nintendo, rendered powerless. I'll never forget when the power came back. Not twenty minutes earlier us kids had decided to play a game "Throw rocks at each other." We were slowly but surely regressing into 'Lord of the Flies' in my neighborhood. I think the fact that our house was the only one with gas water had something to do with it. The smell....the smell....[/end Brando]

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I moved here after Hugo, actually...

...but I do remember the time when Charlotte was in the path of another hurricane with it expected to hit the next day. They closed schools in anticipation, but the next day ended up having some of the nicest weather I've seen here. The irony wasn't lost on most people.

Doth Togo

Having lived close to 18 years in Charlotte (elementary school, parts of middle school and parts of high school), I can say that Charlotte has a nasty tendency to overreact to anything.

Doth Togo said:
Having lived close to 18 years in Charlotte (elementary school, parts of middle school and parts of high school), I can say that Charlotte has a nasty tendency to overreact to anything.

Well they haven't shutup about it on the news today, so evidently you are correct.

swoon

god hugo was a nightmare.

anyway it's pretty cloudy here now. but i'm just happy that this guy is keeping the heat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom