• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got kicked out from College at my last semester... (Need your advice, GAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the OP did say he failed multiple classes.

It sounds to me from the OP that engineering may not be the career for the OP in general. First he took advice from his father and now from GAF. I think he needs to do some soul searching and determine what he actually wants to do with his life. Time to start following his own goals.
Indeed. But, he is pretty close. If it were me, I would consider trying again to finish it (only one semester?) just to have the degree. Then pursue whatever you are passionate about.

Gets complicated though with the credit system at his school...

Ahasverus

It sounds to me from the OP that engineering may not be the career for the OP in general. First he took advice from his father and now from GAF. I think he needs to do some soul searching and determine what he actually wants to do with his life. Time to start following his own goals.
I have to be honest, if it were ABSOLUTELY ME I'd study bussiness, teology, finances and/or music, those are my "passion" but the first is too common, the other 2 don't exist at my region and the last is out of the question becasue I like to eat, however my Chem Eng years gave me abilities I've never had acquired in other case, my math is now good, my analytical hability is good too, my physics and chemistry understanding is fair enough and of course I've learned the importance of the industry and how you could change the life of many people, so while it might not be my "natural" case, I think Ind. Ingenieering is a nearer to what I feel capable of and the greater goals. And of course I'd validate half of the classes.

Indeed. But, he is pretty close. If it were me, I would consider trying again to finish it (only one semester?) just to have the degree. Then pursue whatever you are passionate about.
It's not one more semester I have left, it's my 10th one, but if I continued I'd still be 2 years in college (that is without failing any class)

I have to be honest, if it were ABSOLUTELY ME I'd study bussiness, teology, finances and/or music, those are my "passion" but the first is too common, the other 2 don't exist at my region and the last is out of the question becasue I like to eat, however my Chem Eng years gave me abilities I've never had acquired in other case, my math is now good, my analytical hability is good too, my physics and chemistry understanding is fair enough and of course I've learned the importance of the industry and how you could change the life of many people, so while it might not be my "natural" case, I think Ind. Ingenieering is a nearer to what I feel capable of and the greater goals. And of course I'd validate half of the classes.

It's not one more semester I have left, it's my 10th one, but if I continued I'd still be 2 years in college (that is without failing any class)
Ohhhh okay. From the title I thought you meant it was the final semester.

TUSR

Banned
You should talk to a career and course councillor at your school.

Look into things you like to do, pursue them as a career. Industrial "engineering" is definitely easier if thats what you are looking for.

That's one wierd credit system. OP, how many times have you failed an exam to come to the point where you can't continue your studies?

Ahasverus

Hi guys! I think you all deserve an update :)

It's been 4 months since that fateful night, they've been hard but enlighting at the same time, and, believe it or not, things DID change for the better!!

In GTA terms, I chose option C.

It was risky as hell.
I decided to apply again for the same college in a different carreer, in the second semester fo the year when 60000 people apply for 2000 vacants in 4 cities , and I needed to get in /my/ city (I have zero mobility, no, make that -1000 mobility) where tthere are only 600, and I needed to get into Industrial Engineering where there are only 45 vacants and it's the most sought for carreer in my city.
To prepare the exam I had to review subjects that I hadn't touched since high school, 5 years ago, things like phylosophy and biology and stuff, geography too. I was scared, becasue I once was good for those usbjects but for 5 years I had't touched them, and for the other subjects that i did practice (maths, physics, chemistry).. I just didn't feel I got good enough. I studied some stuff for months (I must accept that GTA V ate too much of study time heh) but still, anything could happen.
The exam was later pushed back because a student strike, I was really nervous, I had to keep the lie in my house that I was still studying, and the more time it passes, the longer I have to keep that lie. To make things worse, the strike had ruined my safe guard: I could have asked for readmission if I failed the exam in the original schedule, but as things got pushed back I had a call from the Chem. Ing department saying I had to decide if I wanted to reapply (and lose the chance to change carrers, return with terrible grades to a place where proffessors hated me and I had a long easly crumbling way forward) or resign to my rights as a student, so I couldn't reapply later. I chose the latter option, knowing that I could screw up things so bad suicide was the easiest way out.

Well, GAF, I'm glad to tell you that between those 60000 people I got the place No 360 and I was admitted in first place to Industrial Engineering, in my city.

You can't imagine how glad I am, now I can continue my studies in a carrer I really feel comfortable in, I can homologate all I had in Chem Ing and land at 6th semester (from 10). I told mum about it (I told her I was offered to change) and she told me she knew I wasn't comfortable before and she supports me, as does all my family (sans my father, but whatever). In terms of grades I start anew and I hope to have great grades. Oh, and for landing in 1st place to my carrer I don't have to pay for next semester, with the possibility of not having to pay the next ones if my grades are good enough.

In other words, of all possible scenarios, life, incredibly gave me the best one.
A long road awaits, but this time I'll walk through it with courage and peace in my mind, peace of that what I'll hopefully dedicate my life for, is something I choose for, something I can give all my passion too, and help people with it.

--------

So, that's all gaf, I just wanted to know what happened, this story is not finished yet of course, but I think that, if there is someone out there going for something similar, don't lose out hope, hope in yourself and your strenght, it's that strenght that will give you the reins of your life. It doesn't matter if all you do is mistakes, in the end, they are not someone else's, they are yours.

Cheers everyone :D

Now, study hard and don't lose the motivation for why you're doing this in the first place. Well done, my man, keep up the great....amazing, work.

BlueSteel

Hi guys! I think you all deserve an update :)

It's been 4 months since that fateful night, they've been hard but enlighting at the same time, and, believe it or not, things DID change for the better!!

In GTA terms, I chose option C.

It was risky as hell.
I decided to apply again for the same college in a different carreer, in the second semester fo the year when 60000 people apply for 2000 vacants in 4 cities , and I needed to get in /my/ city (I have zero mobility, no, make that -1000 mobility) where tthere are only 600, and I needed to get into Industrial Engineering where there are only 45 vacants and it's the most sought for carreer in my city.
To prepare the exam I had to review subjects that I hadn't touched since high school, 5 years ago, things like phylosophy and biology and stuff, geography too. I was scared, becasue I once was good for those usbjects but for 5 years I had't touched them, and for the other subjects that i did practice (maths, physics, chemistry).. I just didn't feel I got good enough. I studied some stuff for months (I must accept that GTA V ate too much of study time heh) but still, anything could happen.
The exam was later pushed back because a student strike, I was really nervous, I had to keep the lie in my house that I was still studying, and the more time it passes, the longer I have to keep that lie. To make things worse, the strike had ruined my safe guard: I could have asked for readmission if I failed the exam in the original schedule, but as things got pushed back I had a call from the Chem. Ing department saying I had to decide if I wanted to reapply (and lose the chance to change carrers, return with terrible grades to a place where proffessors hated me and I had a long easly crumbling way forward) or resign to my rights as a student, so I couldn't reapply later. I chose the latter option, knowing that I could screw up things so bad suicide was the easiest way out.

Well, GAF, I'm glad to tell you that between those 60000 people I got the place No 360 and I was admitted in first place to Industrial Engineering, in my city.

You can't imagine how glad I am, now I can continue my studies in a carrer I really feel comfortable in, I can homologate all I had in Chem Ing and land at 6th semester (from 10). I told mum about it (I told her I was offered to change) and she told me she knew I wasn't comfortable before and she supports me, as does all my family (sans my father, but whatever). In terms of grades I start anew and I hope to have great grades. Oh, and for landing in 1st place to my carrer I don't have to pay for next semester, with the possibility of not having to pay the next ones if my grades are good enough.

In other words, of all possible scenarios, life, incredibly gave me the best one.
A long road awaits, but this time I'll walk through it with courage and peace in my mind, peace of that what I'll hopefully dedicate my life for, is something I choose for, something I can give all my passion too, and help people with it.

--------

So, that's all gaf, I just wanted to know what happened, this story is not finished yet of course, but I think that, if there is someone out there going for something similar, don't lose out hope, hope in yourself and your strenght, it's that strenght that will give you the reins of your life. It doesn't matter if all you do is mistakes, in the end, they are not someone else's, they are yours.

Cheers everyone :D

Damn I'm happy for you. Glad things turned out well, and keep pushing!

I assume you were applying at the Universidad Nacional. If so, then congrats. Pretty hard to get admitted there.

Now work hard and concentrate to finish your studies!

Ahasverus

Thank you guys, I owe you stuff, you helped me a lot that night.

I assume you were applying at the Universidad Nacional. If so, then congrats. Pretty hard to get admitted there.

Now work hard and concentrate to finish your studies!

Yep, it's a great institution , it really is.

Well something I could add is that I can finish my Chemical Engineering in a private college on a distance, later, perhaps, I dunno, It'd be nice, at some point in my life.

If mods want to they can add "UPDATE; level cleared " or something in the title :p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Keep studying. I'm a Computer Engineer. I would immediately study and review all class notes every evening, and work on projects weeks before they were due. I didn't like school, but I enjoy my job. They're completely different things. I sometimes think 90% of college education is a scam. Only about 6 courses actually were relevant, basically all of the CS classes; 1 of which was unnecessary because I already took AP but it wasn't recognized.

Once you do graduate and get a career, do shift over to the strengths based approach. Do what you like, work around weaknesses. Specialize in what you're really good at and enjoy. The well rounded, work on your weaknesses thing is total nonsense and isn't a way to manage a productive team.

Lamel

Banned
If you can finish and get your Chem Eng degree in 10 more credits, buckle down, study your ass off, and get that degree. Otherwise you've wasted the last 5 years.

Edit: read the update, so my advice isn't applicable. I thought you could do 1 semester, but if its a 2 years vs 2.5 years thing, it's awesome that you're in industrial E now.

Congrats dude, and work you ass off even harder, no more failing.

Ahasverus

Keep studying. I'm a Computer Engineer. I would immediately study and review all class notes every evening, and work on projects weeks before they were due. I didn't like school, but I enjoy my job. They're completely different things. I sometimes think 90% of college education is a scam. Only about 6 courses actually were relevant, basically all of the CS classes; 1 of which was unnecessary because I already took AP but it wasn't recognized.

Once you do graduate and get a career, do shift over to the strengths based approach. Do what you like, work around weaknesses. Specialize in what you're really good at and enjoy. The well rounded, work on your weaknesses thing is total nonsense and isn't a way to manage a productive team.

If you can finish and get your Chem Eng degree in 10 more credits, buckle down, study your ass off, and get that degree. Otherwise you've wasted the last 5 years.

Thanks guys, I just made an update but still, I take your advice to heart, I'd like to finish my past studies later on a private college, I don't want to waste those years either (they aren't but still..).

Cisce, Pau, thank you very much. If there ever is a Neogaf global convention or something I promise beers for all of you :D

Pau

Thanks guys, I just made an update but still, I take your advice to heart, I'd like to finish my past studies later on a private college, I don't want to waste those years either (they aren't but still..).

Cisce, Pau, thank you very much. If there ever is a Neogaf global convention or something I promise beers for all of you :D
Or if there's ever a Colombia-GAF meet up! I'd be so surprised if that ever actually happened though. :p

mt1200

Eeh, we should make one, we're totally the best 10 people in here anyway.

Let me guess, were you admitted into national university? If so, congrats, I could never made it there, the entrance exam was too tough for me (specially both language and chem components, maths and image analysis were easy)

Ahasverus

Let me guess, were you admitted into national university? If so, congrats, I could never made it there, the entrance exam was too tough for me (specially both language and chem components, maths and image analysis were easy)
Yep it's really hard, I must give credit to my parents they really invested in my high school education and it paid off, especially becasue public school education is not.. ideal here (funny how public universities are the contrary case). Hope you got into a nice place-!

Wow congrats man

Seriously I'm happy for you and hope the new career path works out :D

Edit: nvm realized you must be from Columbia

Helps if you actually read more than OP lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom