• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I mourn the decline of instructional TV

It used to be you could watch TV and learn things outside of the news. PBS was a great example of this. This Old House, New Yankee Workshop, The Woodwright's Shop. You could learn gardening on The Victory Garden, learn from Justin Wilson or Julia Child how to make a fine meal, learn painting from Bob Ross.

Now, all of these have one thing in common: Public Broadcasting. But even in the early days of Food/Cooking, DIY/HGTV there were those who followed in their footsteps. Alton Brown, Ina Garten, Emeril, the DIY shows like Indoors Out, the early Yard Crashers, etc. You'd be entertained, but at the end of the episode you'd know how to actually do one thing because they took the time out to show how it was done. Or in the cooking shows, you could watch an episode and have confidence you could put a decent meal or dish on the table.

I was watching This Old House on Youtube when it struck me you almost don't see this anymore. TOH and ATOH are shining examples of it still being done, but otherwise it just isn't there by and large. Reality TV has gone almost solely to time-based competitions or challenges. You might have a cooking or renovation show on, but you aren't going to learn much of outside how much Johnny can screw up a baked Alaska or see the $200,000 pool someone put in with a swim-up bar.

Now, you'll say that it all moved to Youtube. Well, sort of. There's quite a bit of the home handyman type stuff, and I'm sure the cooking videos are there as well. None of it seems vetted. It seems to be way more based on how photogenic and bubbly you are vs any real skill. There are exceptions, particularly in the woodworking world, but there are a lot of hacks as well. You could learn something, but it may or may not be safe.

Not sure this thread has more of a point than me pining for some good quality instructional presentations. My wife turned me on to Nashville Flipped, where there is an occasional instructional item presented in the show, which further fueled this thought about the lack of such things.

Anyone else miss this sort of thing, and who do you turn to learn cooking, DIY, and other things?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I miss when Discovery channel was actually about science, nature and history.

But yeah, YouTube is the default channel for learning new skills now. And it's better than ever. There's so much good DIY stuff out there.

liquidtmd

Banned
I mean...I miss the old style that played on TV occasionally, but as you stated we now live in a time where instructional videos on virtually anything can be accessed instantly via YouTube.

I feel lucky this is the case.

I mean...I miss the old style that played on TV occasionally, but as you stated we now live in a time where instructional videos on virtually anything can be accessed instantly via YouTube.

I feel lucky this is the case.

The quality just isn't the same though.

I'll speak directly to something I'm interested: woodworking. Used to be you could watch a Norm Abram and see exactly how things were made, how to do it, and why. These days on Youtube the typical video goes like this:

"Thanks for watching, let's build a table."

Then you either get an 8 minute video with shitty music and no commentary, or:

*out of breath*
"Next, I'll cut the wood."
*poorly edited video*
*out of breath*
"Next, the corners"
*more poorly edited video*
*out of breath*
"Now we just slap it together"
*roll credits*

I'd have to look at some cooking stuff to see how bad that is. There are diamonds in the rough, but outside of a few examples I'm not sure I'd take quantity over quality.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I was all about a young Kerry Washington in that PBS show Standard Deviants. She the older, wiser woman. Me, the awkward high school kid with parents too cheap to pay for cable.

Seirith

I watch HGTV all the time, every show tells you how to cook the item they are cooking and shows the person make it.

Flea market flip shows people taking old items and making them "new" again.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The quality just isn't the same though.

I'll speak directly to something I'm interested: woodworking. Used to be you could watch a Norm Abram and see exactly how things were made, how to do it, and why. These days on Youtube the typical video goes like this:

"Thanks for watching, let's build a table."

Then you either get an 8 minute video with shitty music and no commentary, or:

*out of breath*
"Next, I'll cut the wood."
*poorly edited video*
*out of breath*
"Next, the corners"
*more poorly edited video*
*out of breath*
"Now we just slap it together"
*roll credits*

I'd have to look at some cooking stuff to see how bad that is. There are diamonds in the rough, but outside of a few examples I'm not sure I'd take quantity over quality.

Dude, there's so much good stuff out there.

Check out my man J. Kenji López-Alt if you want cooking videos.
If you want to paint miniatures, check out Sorastro.
If you want to learn medical pathology, check out my man WashingtonDeceit.
If you want to learn basically anything, go to Khan Academy.
Also, if you want instruction videos on how to do drugs recreationally, check out Drugslab (dutch, but subbed).

Also, if you want instruction videos on how to do drugs recreationally, check out Drugslab (dutch, but subbed).

This is the sort of thing I was hoping this thread would produce.

Saganator

And the History channel actually played history docs. Now it's all shit about people living in Alaska. The only thing close to history on that channel are all damn reruns they have.

I kinda like how easy it is to find instructional videos on YouTube, but yeah, their quality is usually not even close to what used to be on TV. They rarely go into why you do something, just show you them doing it because that's why.

Damaniel

Banned

Hell, I long for the days when people used to call the History Channel the Hitlery Channel because of all the World War II documentaries. As repetitive as it all was, at least the shows were educational.

Discovery, History, HGTV and even the Science Channel are all cesspools now. YouTube is where it's at now for educational programming, but even then you often have to sift through a lot of junk to find the good stuff.

HeatBoost

Channel drift is loathsome in all it's forms

I remember when Cartoon Network showed different crap all the time instead six four hour blocks of the same 5 shows for 90% of it's runtime

Youtube has replaced that. I learned how to build my PC from Youtube and now I'm in IT as a profession. Just the other day, I learned how to fix a sink drain stopper.

Damaniel

Banned

If you're interested in repairing or learning about old analog, vacuum tube electronics, there's no better channel than Mr Carlson's Lab. I've watched 2 hour videos about tearing down and rebuilding old radios where the time just flew by. You wouldn't think the topic would be so compelling.

Likewise, if you're interested in practical chemistry (as opposed to just lectures), there's always NileRed, NurdRage and ChemPlayer.

And that's just the instructional videos. There are so many quality YouTube channels out there for learning about stuff that I couldn't even begin to list them all.

DiscoJer

Actually though, if you have broadcast TV, your PBS station might have a sub channel dedicated to such shows. The one here in St. Louis does (and one devoted to kids stuff, and one for travel)

Let's make this thread about this then, because I love channels like these.

I take solace in the fact that in life you are never too old to learn to do or make something cool.

You.

You I like.

Speaking of woodworking, I learned just about everything I know from YouTube. I even watch videos on processes that are described in my guitar making / luthier books so I can see someone perform the technique.

The videos may not be as entertaining or have the personality of Norm but you can't say they aren't more informative. It is just barebones "Here is how you make a dovetail joint" and then they show you how to make a dovetail joint.

One of the issues is finding someone that can combine good on-camera presence, good instruction, and good editing. Marc Spagnuolo is one.

Clockwork5

Speaking of woodworking, I learned just about everything I know from YouTube. I even watch videos on processes that are described in my guitar making / luthier books so I can see someone perform the technique.

The videos may not be as entertaining or have the personality of Norm but you can't say they aren't more informative. It is just barebones "Here is how you make a dovetail joint" and then they show you how to make a dovetail joint.

besada

Banned
I'm with you. I was talking to my wife about this the other day. We have entire DIY channels that never actually teach you how to do anything. It's all house proud design obsession shows and flipping. Or renovations, but you don't learn anything.

And while there are a couple of good youtubers doing stuff, it's less consistently good and hard to find than something like New Yankee Workshop or This Old House.

TheCochese, you might try Foureyes for woodworking. He's pretty detailed in what he does, and more importantly, why. It's mostly furniture design and building, but I really enjoy it. Very mellow but informative.

I'm with you. I was talking to my wife about this the other day. We have entire DIY channels that never actually teach you how to do anything. It's all house proud design obsession shows and flipping. Or renovations, but you don't learn anything.

And while there are a couple of good youtubers doing stuff, it's less consistently good and hard to find than something like New Yankee Workshop or This Old House.

TheCochese, you might try Foureyes for woodworking. He's pretty detailed in what he does, and more importantly, why. It's mostly furniture design and building, but I really enjoy it. Very mellow but informative.

Yup, I'm subbed to Salomone. Some minor complaints, but very good.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I think YouTube stuff is better than you give it credit for. In cases it's less produced, shorter, and more Youtubey (for lack of a better word) but there's still plenty of good stuff.

Just running through some of my subscribed channels:

AlmazanKitchen (Cooking)
J. Kenji López-Alt (Cooking)
Food Wishes (Cooking)
Cody's Lab (Chemistry, Geology, Gardening, Bee Keeping)
Khan Academy (Nearly every subject covered in school from grade school to college)
Louis Rossmann (Electronics repair)
Steve Ramsey (Woodworking)
TNT Amusements (Pinball Machine Repair)
Numberphile (Mathematics)
The Royal Butler (Butler Etiquette)
Primitive Technology (Masonry & Hand Tools)
Townsends (Cooking & History)
Ants Canada (Ant Farming & Care)

Some of these I'm skipping because there's a ton of Cooking channels.

HylianTom

Banned
PBS has a huge back catalog of programs from decades past.. sometimes I wish they had a separate digital channel entirely devoted to broadcasting these old assets. If I weren't actively watching, it'd be something I could leave on in the background.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Completely agree. Food Network is a disaster now. Either A) "Man travels country and shoves food in his face" or B) Reality competition shows.

PBS has a huge back catalog of programs from decades past.. sometimes I wish they had a separate digital channel entirely devoted to broadcasting these old assets. If I weren't actively watching, it'd be something I could leave on in the background.

This.

But it was also fun just to watch This Old House just see something new. Something different and interesting. I guess you could binge watch it on Youtube, but then it all kinds of mingles together.

Youtubers can have either quality audio and video and be absolute crap or have a shitty set up but actually know what they're doing.

entremet

still plenty of quality sources on the youtubes these days
at least for food

Any channels? I love food instructional stuff, but its rather not the same. I love the deep dives from the PBS shows.

The Food Network, being a rating based channel, chased the ratings and it was done with. Same thing happened with TLC (LOL if you remember the acronym) and The Discovery Channel.

ReAxion

the same thing that happened to those channels is the same thing that happened to MTV. nobody was actually watching the music videos.

Yeah I learned a lot from that show Tool Time on Home Improvement
Failure is one of the best teachers. Bonus if you get to watch and learn from someone else failing. Remember when Tim got an honorary PhD because they thought his antics were done intentionally to teach?

For real, though, I still remember that you can use a potato to remove a broken lightbulb, but you must turn off the power first. Thanks, Tim.

Wvrs

It's why I'll always support and advocate on behalf of the BBC here in the UK. Having an (at its best, although sadly not always) impartial and publicly funded broadcast service is a vital part of any democracy in my opinion. It's a shame there's no American equivalent in terms of its calibre.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I feel you OP. There's a third division of PBS in some markets (after the kids one) called Create that plays a lot of cooking and home improvement shows and Bob Ross, it's pretty much the channel my set lives on. Cable is a wasteland of reality cooking competitions and home makeover shit now, RIP actually learning anything from TV.

hollomat

Banned
Youtube is fantastic for this. You can watch a 5 minute video that lays out exactly what you want to do (snake a drain, mount a frame, etc).

Game Guru

Yeah, YouTube has pretty much replaced every nonfiction channel that I watched back when I was younger with the main issue mainly me having to look for content rather than just stumbling on something to watch. However, I certainly do recommend watching Create if you've got an antenna and want to see that sort of stuff on actual television. It should be a subchannel of your PBS station.

Hey I do instructional videos on YouTube. Well not directly instructional, more like "this is what I do".

Content that covers scale modelling like that never existed on TV, at least not here anyway. I learnt so much from watching others, even when the quality was questionable.

ghostmind

My childhood is full of memories of a lot of these shows in their original airings - Bob & Norm on This Old House, Bob Ross, Julia Child, as well as real history and documentary programs.

Reality TV infected the medium in the 90's, and it has never recovered. The amount of trash TV pushed me to YouTube, like many others, where I discovered channels like "Smarter Every Day", "The Great War", and to podcasts with the surprisingly educational "The Dollop", as well as "RadioLab" and "Car Talk".

And with virtually everything DIY available on-demand on YouTube, I can do a search for "how to fix a leaking toilet tank" and get a bunch of results that I can follow along step-by-step if needed.

It's not the same, and I do miss the feeling of watching those shows, but there is far more content available out there, if you can find it.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
What happened to the Food Network was bizarre. It seemed like overnight it went from educational cooking shoes to nothing but XTREME FOOD BATTLE shows.

Cipherr

Yeah YT is drenched with this stuff. From plumbing to cabinet repair and gardening help, I have been able to fix and repair/setup stuff at our house with no issue. It's kind of amazing.

Top Bottom