• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Bought this GTX 460 (now out of stock on Newegg) on Amazon, just wanted to know if I could SLI it with this GTX 460 on Newegg, or would I have to go back to Amazon and get the same exact one? I'm considering doing it in the future. Seems like the only difference between the two is the placement of the fan...

PSU is 700w, by the way. Should I be good?

It'll be totally fine. 700W is plenty.

mackattk

Got everything installed and running on my build. Haven't tried to OC the i5 2500k yet, just going through installing all the updates and everything first.

Had a little trouble installing windows 7 after I built it, it kept complaining my computer was in GPT mode. Fixed it by disconnecting all of the hard drives except for the one that I am installing it on.

Decided to keep the second 6850, it was $130 after rebate, and didn't want to go through returning it with amazon. If things don't pan out I can try to sell it on craigslist or something.

I am looking forward to testing out some games tomorrow after everything is finalized.

I am thinking about picking this up sometime in the future

Canned air alternative

With canned air being ridiculously expensive, this would pay itself off pretty fast. Anyone try something like this before?

TheExodu5

Banned
So, two weeks back I said my AX850 was defective...I was wrong. The CX600 I had got as a temporary replacement ended up rebooting after about 5 days of running. It just took longer than usual for some reason.

I got my replacement motherboard from Gigabyte last Friday and my system has been running fine since (other than the first night when my Vertex 3 stopped being detected for some reason...switching to AHCI and back fixed that). So, I'm pretty confident the motherboard was the issue at this point. If my PC stays running for the rest of the week, I'll assume that was it.

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Corsair. ^_^

Heppell

Banned
GAF what's the best way to combat against spam, as my ISP email account has spam and I'm scared/worried it has been hacked and it could somehow access my online banking. I heard Cc cleaner is good. And if I set my DNS to static from automatic will it help from stop being hacked??

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-2.html

Regarding the Agility 3, why the hell would they recommend a SSD with a 3-star average review out of 160? I'll probably end up buying the Samsung 830 since it only has 1 1-star review. I'm asking 'cause they're both on sale for 100 bucks at Micro Center on Saturday.

Planned Shopping List
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition (can I overclock to 4GHz w/ stock cooler?)
GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX AMD (hoping to see an improved Bulldozer)
Samsung 64GB 830 SSD (it's SATA 6GB/s, right?)
Total $250

vaelic

Banned
Ok folks, I just got my new parts! I need help with Overclocking a few things. I read the OP but the new MB has so many damn options, I dont know what I should be turning on or off.

I am trying to OC the following:

i5-2500k
ASUS Maximus GENE-Z
RADEON 5850

Basically I want to overclock the 2500k and the 5850. I bought the hyper 212 CPU cooler, so I believe I am pretty much set.

It would be extremely helpful if anyone has the maximus gene-z as you might be able to tell me EXACTLY what to edit in the BIOS.

Thanks guys. Pretty excited over here :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Really thinking about getting the 2700k since the Ivy stuff won't be out for a while. I think my stream program will benefit from it. I'll have to sell my 2500k.

Going to up my ram to 16Gb since it's only $40 extra. I would only need a modular PSU just for own personal preference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070-2.html

Regarding the Agility 3, why the hell would they recommend a SSD with a 3-star average review out of 160? I'll probably end up buying the Samsung 830 since it only has 1 1-star review. I'm asking 'cause they're both on sale for 100 bucks at Micro Center on Saturday.

Planned Shopping List
Total $250
I'm not familiar with how the 970's and up clock since apparently they are binned / different silicon. Stock cooler usually is a nono with AMD since their CPUs love volts.
Really thinking about getting the 2700k since the Ivy stuff won't be out for a while. I think my stream program will benefit from it. I'll have to sell my 2500k.

Going to up my ram to 16Gb since it's only $40 extra. I would only need a modular PSU just for own personal preference.
Maybe if you replied to my PM's :'[

What does your CPU usage look like? Have you assigned cores to thread programs and see if that helped?

The question to ask whatever capture/streaming program you use is "Will going from a 4 core / 4 thread to a 4 core / 8 thread have any benefit".
Remember that the core numbers stay the same and unless whatever you are using is able to take advantage of extra emulated cores better the impact will be minimal.

Also if you haven't overclocked yet that will be a large boost in CPU power.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No idea.

80fZ5.jpg

Those are with me streaming right now by the way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can make suggestions, but the only real concrete way to know if it will help is to try and get contact with whomever wrote/made what you are using for your stream.

What are the exact issues you are wanting to fix or improve?
Does setting your capture on cores 2,3 help?
Have you tried at 3.6Ghz and 4.2Ghz and noticed a difference?

mkenyon

Banned
I'd just get a 955 or 965. I don't think they are binned.
They are binned.
Ok folks, I just got my new parts! I need help with Overclocking a few things. I read the OP but the new MB has so many damn options, I dont know what I should be turning on or off.

I am trying to OC the following:

i5-2500k
ASUS Maximus GENE-Z
RADEON 5850

Basically I want to overclock the 2500k and the 5850. I bought the hyper 212 CPU cooler, so I believe I am pretty much set.

It would be extremely helpful if anyone has the maximus gene-z as you might be able to tell me EXACTLY what to edit in the BIOS.

Thanks guys. Pretty excited over here :)
Load OC profile. Believe it is in main.

Go into onboard devices, re-enable your sound card and LAN port.

Go into advanced CPU settings and make sure speed stepping is disabled. Other than that, the OP guides will give you info on how to find a good ratio at the right voltage.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm already oced to 4.4ghz.

And I don't know what you mean by the whole cores thing. Never messed with any of that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They are binned.
Tsktsk I looked it up after.
I'm already oced to 4.4ghz.

And I don't know what you mean by the whole cores thing. Never messed with any of that.
Sometimes going to "_______.exe" under the processes tab and setting affinity to certain cores can help. But, that really shouldn't be the main point.

What are the exact issues you are wanting to fix or improve?
Have you tried at 3.6Ghz and 4.2Ghz and noticed a difference?
*And how are you nearly using 8GB of RAM?

mkenyon

Banned
No idea.

80fZ5.jpg

Those are with me streaming right now by the way.
You are using all of your RAM. How is that possible? That's a huge bottleneck for you right now.

Also @ the guy buying an AM3 proc, you need a serious cooler to be stable at 4 ghz. I could barely get my 975 stable at 4 with a 212+ cooler. Venomous X got me stable at 4.2.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If I'm using all my ram, I guess that's cool since I just ordered 8 more gigs. All of these streaming stuff takes up a lot of memory it seems.

mkenyon

Banned
Planned Shopping List
Total $250
That motherboard looks really fishy to me. Not even sure how it is AM3+ compatible. Doubt it OC's well either.

Argg, double post. iPads suck for this. Sorry.

Edit #2
the newest revision of that mobo only supports 95w procs. 970 won't work on it. Knew there was something about it. Only a 4 pin power plug for the CPU too. Thing is no good for overclocking.

MisterNoisy

My brother put together his PC (the one I bought the parts for) today:

sYesy.jpg

Core i5 2500K under a Cooler Master V6GT
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
NZXT H2 case (w/custom orange/white paint by him)
ZOTAC GTX570
8GB G.Skill Sniper
Cougar CMX700
OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB SSD + Samsung Spinpoint F3

First mobo was DOA, and Newegg got a replacement to me one day after I contacted them about it - amazing customer service. The PSU wasn't my first choice, but I got an absolutely screaming deal on it and he liked the color scheme, so we'll see how it pans out.

He did all the assembly (with some guidance from me) and I handled the cable management (and showed him what I was doing and why). Great way to spend an afternoon, along with some co-op SR3. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If I'm using all my ram, I guess that's cool since I just ordered 8 more gigs. All of these streaming stuff takes up a lot of memory it seems.
I just did some stream testing and my RAM kept crawling up very slowly in usage over time. Might have been game loading/streaming though.

You might want to restart the stream if RAM is the issue here, but you still haven't told me why you are wanting to upgrade :)
Either way 16GB should help if this is the problem.

*Although it could easily be some stream settings as well, down spikes in upload speed, render speed, whatever.

MisterNoisy

Awesome build. Have wanted to do a white and orange project for a long while. Nice job on the cables too!

Thanks! It was a fun build - as soon as he started actually putting stuff together, he got super eager to get to the next step, so it was a lot of fun for both of us. The look on his face when we benched it at stock clocks using 3DMark11 was priceless, too - his old box was returning single digit framerates in some of the tests, and this one just blew through them. :)

Next step: overclocking!

I just did some stream testing and my RAM kept crawling up in usage over time.

You might want to restart the stream if RAM is the issue here, but you still haven't told me why you are wanting to upgrade :)
Either way 16GB should help if this is the problem.

What program are you using? Sounds like a memory leak.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What program are you using? Sounds like a memory leak.
xSplit to Justin/Twitch.tv and Diablo III
Memory usage crawled up on a 720p 1mbps stream from 4.80GB to about 4.93GB over about 30 minutes? Although this may purely have been exploring new areas and loading. Technically I should have been standing still come to think of it.

Probably not the best thing to test before going to sleep. I know how to set up a stream and what settings are good, but not clear on the impact of CPU performance and RAM for streaming.

demigod

Just saw Fry's bf ads, damn no GPUs on sale as well. Did any B&M or online retailer had any GPU for sell during last year's Cyber Monday?

kagete

xSplit to Justin/Twitch.tv and Diablo III
Memory usage crawled up on a 720p 1mbps stream from 4.80GB to about 4.93GB over about 30 minutes? Although this may purely have been exploring new areas and loading. Technically I should have been standing still come to think of it.

Probably not the best thing to test before going to sleep. I know how to set up a stream and what settings are good, but not clear on the impact of CPU performance and RAM for streaming.

Extra cores and threads help with x264 encoding, which is a popular choice for a lot of streamers. Using almost 8GB of ram though? I imagine a local copy is also being saved to a HDD, might be good to move to SSD if it's really necessary to save locally. Maybe she's doing 1080@60fps?

"Holiday blowout, while supplies last"
X.jpg
$120 - SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

Unrelated: So, TinyPic was banned on GAF? Good thing I only still used it for case profile pics. Thanks for re-uploading those, Hazaro.

My Corsair has a 7 year warranty. Take that Seasonic and your crappy 5 year warranty!
Remember the 1000w SeaSonic SS-1000XP 80 Plus Platinum? Both that, and the similar SeaSonic X-1250 80 Plus Gold have seven year warranties. Same with their new, lower-rated X-1050/SS-1050XM 80+ Gold, and Platinum-860/SS-860XP 80+ Plat. models.

I'm expecting all future 80+ X-Series Gold, Platinum, and Titanium (if they release any for the consumer market) to carry 7-year coverage, with only the 80+ Bronze, new "budget"/entry-level 80+ Gold, and low-end SeaSonics to be 5-years or less.

How easy/hard would it be to use my current cpu/mobo to build a new PC for my sister, while I get new ones?
Very simple. You don't even need to disassemble it. Source whatever you may need from there, and replace it with parts suitable for her use.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Extra cores and threads help with x264 encoding, which is a popular choice for a lot of streamers. Using almost 8GB of ram though? I imagine a local copy is also being saved to a HDD, might be good to move to SSD if it's really necessary to save locally. Maybe she's doing 1080@60fps?
Kadey was streaming for many hours at something close to 1080 at 60FPS.
I know HT and cores help with x264 encoding, but wasn't positive that there are performance gains across the board for all stream/capture setups. That's really all I want to know before Kadey drops extra money :)
·feist·;32907805 said:
"Holiday blowout, while supplies last"
X.jpg
$120 - SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

Unrelated: So, TinyPic was banned on GAF? Good thing I only still used it for case profile pics. Thanks for re-uploading those, Hazaro.
It was a pain. :[
Tinypic was reusing urls and so nsfw stuff was popping up.

Hey guys, thinking of picking up the 360 wireless receiver instead of picking up a wired controller. Are they in any way less compatible/ have problems with certain games/programs? Do the cheap chinese knockoff ones work as well as the official one?

I'm using W7 64bit BTW.

Thanks.

I changed the CPU & MB by request. This motherboard seems a lot better even if it's AM3.

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition (obviously unlocking core)
MSI 880G-E45 Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD
Samsung 64GB 830 SSD
Total $220

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd still get an AM3+ board. They'll fix BD at some point and it isn't much more.
And get an 955 or 970, really. Don't count on unlocking cores, you're just gambling.

Mulligan

Banned
I'm about to overclock for the first time and would like some advice please.

OCing my 560ti and am currently downloaing MSI afterburner as i understand it's the program to OC in, but what other programs will i need and can someone give me a quick rundown on what steps to take to achieve a succesful OC.

Thanks.

I'm about to overclock for the first time and would like some advice please.

OCing my 560ti and am currently downloaing MSI afterburner as i understand it's the program to OC in, but what other programs will i need and can someone give me a quick rundown on what steps to take to achieve a succesful OC.

Thanks.

MSI is all you need.

Figure out what voltage others are using to hit OC's on their cards. Make a custom fan profile to keep temps cool. After you set OC's, stress test with Heaven benchmark, 3dmark vantage, and/or 3dmark11. Run a few loops of those. If it doesn't crash, try to go higher.

Mulligan

Banned
MSI is all you need.

Figure out what voltage others are using to hit OC's on their cards. Make a custom fan profile to keep temps cool. After you set OC's, stress test with Heaven benchmark, 3dmark vantage, and/or 3dmark11. Run a few loops of those. If it doesn't crash, try to go higher.

How do i set curstom fan profile and what should i set it to? Also, do i increase core clock first? Is there anything else i need to do before hand or just literally move the bar up a bit and see what happens?

Mulligan

Banned
Ok. So, i gradually put the core clock from 830MHz to 950MHz and shaders are at 1902MHz. Seems ok so far although tbh i'm not sure.. i don't have any games atm to stress test except LOTRO so i maxed it out and temps were coming to 48-51c and under no stress it's running at 26-27c. Then i ran 3DMark Vantage and my result is P17916 3DMarks, i have absolotuely no idea what this means.. good or bad?

Petrie

Banned
Im thinking it might be time for a refresh on my system. Earlier this year I bought a GTX460, and id like to keep using it, but im still running a P5Q pro with 4 gigs of ddr2 memory, and a dual core 3.0 processor. Im ready to upgrade if there's good deals to be had in the next few days. Has enough info leaked or can I get some recommendations? Planning to use the the 600 watt corsair power supply I got recently, and possibly my antec 300 case, along with the gtx 460, unless a great deal shows up. Just looking for advice on the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance!

Karmum

Banned
Really hope they have some kind of sale on the EVGA GTX 460. If it dropped like $30 or $40 I'd be so happy, it'd give me motivation to fix the cables in my computer, terrible cable management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom