• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Hmmm, adding all that it comes out to 435 euros? (maybe a bit less in dollars) Hmmmm, does hat Accelero extreme make the card "bulkier"? I'm not sure i'm explaining it right, but those turn it into a three slot card basically?

yes they do, 3 slot

If you've got a Sandy Bridge motherboard it should fit though AFAIK (although in some cases with a psu at the bottom it could be tight)

if you go that route just make sure you have seem decent airflow due to the heat being released inside the case instead of expelled through the back slots

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reposting for new page
__

ChoklitReign said:
Why doesn't the OP have a guide to SSDs besides news from June? I doubt I'll be able to afford any kind this year, but I want to hear something better than to choose Intel. I've already deserted AMD's CPUs and I'm not adding another expensive Intel part to my budget summer build.

Current wish list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10569589

Budget: $600 before SSD + W7 (most I'm willing to spend, period.)

Storage options:
Samsung 2TB F4 HDD
Samsgung + Crucial/Kingston 60GB SSD

They can't be as bad as OCZ, could they? Give us hard-drive-only folks some hope.
Fixed your wishlist to public link. You have to e-mail the link or copy paste the last ID into the public type. Simply setting it does not work unfortunately.

OP guide hasn't been updated since SSD since I still feel the Intel 320/510's are the best buy.
I'm not sure what you'd like to see? In the news section? Let me know.
If you want budget you can get a Vertex II.

I'd swap the PSU to an XFX Core 450W. I'm going to change it now that the rebate is not longer $20.
desh said:
How does this build look?

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155-----------$219.99
ASUS P8P67 LE LGA 1155 ATX Motherboard------------------------$129.99
HIS PCI-Express Radeon HD 6870 Video Card----------------------$184.99
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 PC1600 Memory (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)-----$44.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache----------$59.99
Antec Mid Tower Computer Case Sonata Proto----------------------$64.99
Rosewill RG630-S12 630-Watt Green Series 80 PLUS Certified---$59.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total---------------------------------------------------------------------$764.93

I'm cannibalizing the optical drive, but other than that I think I have everything. What should I do to try and minimize the noise level? ie, don't use the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the cpu?

Edit: GPU is 6870 not 6850
Was mentioned, but I'll chime in anyway.

ASUS Extreme 4 / MSI 55 instead of the LE. LE is low end and is gimped for overclocking and features at the same price as other boards.
Sonata Pro is not worth $65 imo
Get an XFX Core 550W PSU or a BP550 if you want modular.

You can also get a GTX 560Ti for $200 after rebate which is nice. 6870 solid card though.
DigiMish said:
So I'm looking to build my first PC. I consider myself technically competent for such a feat as I've disassembled PCs, laptops, consoles before. Following a guide can't be that hard.

I'm thinking of building this PC from the Tech Report guide for the summer, which they wrote yesterday as of this post. This is their "Utility Player" configuration with a GeForce card instead of ATI because of my personal preference.

My price range is around $800-$1000, cheaper the better obviously.

Specs:

source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21164/4

What do you guys think? Any feedback/suggestions are welcome. Any places I could find these components for cheaper than newegg?

Is this good enough for games and applications like photoshop and 3dsmax?
See above for LE comments.

Get a 560 Ti not a 560.

Absolutely will demolish photoshop. 3dsmax there's nothing really faster so I think it should do well on that too.
snack said:
Hey, PC-GAF. Got a question about ram.

Is there a big difference between these two different types of ram? If I don't plan on overclocking my memory, would I be seeing any significant differences?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
~2% in real world. Usually less. I run 1333 myself.

snack

scogoth said:
No theres not but theres not that much difference in price either.
Yeah, I asked because just a couple days after I bought the 1333's on sale at NewEgg, the 1600's went on sale as well. :p

Eric WK

Nobody's fault but my own, but it'd be cool if Newegg had a "Hey, dummy, the tool set you're buying already has that wrist strap" feature.

Saren is Bad said:
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "Yes, you fucking idiot," but is 850W HX enough for 2 580 SLI, 4.5 Ghz, harddrive, and SSD. Gunna buy another 580 if so.

Ey homies, can anyone answer my question, got lost on the other page.

Hazaro said:
Fixed your wishlist to public link. You have to e-mail the link or copy paste the last ID into the public type. Simply setting it does not work unfortunately.

OP guide hasn't been updated since SSD since I still feel the Intel 320/510's are the best buy.
I'm not sure what you'd like to see? In the news section? Let me know.
If you want budget you can get a Vertex II.

I'd swap the PSU to an XFX Core 450W. I'm going to change it now that the rebate is not longer $20.
Suggestions for a SSD guide:
Best SSDs <100 USD, 100-150, 150-200, 200+, etc.
I'm not a brand lover; I care about value above any other factor, even if recent SSDs have problems. I'm curious about OS performance on Samsung hard drives, but I'll research some of that. What's so good about XFX PSUs over Corsair's? The XFX 450w is $20 more than the Corsair 430w. I think it's plenty good for my system.

B-Dex said:
Yes. I went and did some more reading :)

I'll still spring for the 120gb and keep the z68. :D Can't wait to till I order it.
Could always run multiple SSDs if it makes sense for your use.

desh said:
The GPU is in fact a 6870,and not a 6850, that was a typo on my part. I had been looking at the Antec 300 for a while, but I thought that the Sonata Proto would be quieter.

As for the PSU, I know I don't want to skimp on it, but I thought the Rosewill looked pretty good. I realize brand is very important when it comes to PSUs, so I'll take a look at XFX, Corsair, and Antec.

Edit: I thought 630 W would be fine, and it has 600 W on the 12 V rail. The Rosewill is also 80 Plus certified (just not bronze)
Brands are only so important. It helps when certain brands have better warranties and service than others, though which OEMs each brand uses is key. Rosewill has used about a half dozen OEMs for their PSUs, most of which are middling at best. That isn't to say that that model isn't decent, only that you should also take a look at other options in that price range. It helps when the brand and specific model have a good track record.

The Sonata Proto doesn't have sound dampening like some of the other Sonata models. While the cable management in the 300 is limited, the Proto is even worse. Still, if you find the 300 for a reasonable price, it offers solid build, good airflow, and thicker steel than the vast majority of the cases in the ~$40-60 range. That last feature is one of the few reasons that I'd still recommend one, in specific instances. The case can also cool well, quietly. The top and rear exhaust have 3 speed control, and should be kept at either low or medium. Add one or two inexpensive, low speed fans for intake, adjust the GPU fan curve, and you should have a quiet build that would outperform a Proto.

scogoth said:
sigh, no amount of case thickness nor airflow will make 2 GTX470s quiet and tolerable.
Have to bite the bullet at some point.
fd04cd430786878635dda546495bb3a0_5.png

Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus II
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/376/accelero-xtreme-plus-ii.html

VF3000N_m.jpg

Zalman VF3000(F)
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=390
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=407

51NejAyO35L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thermalright Shaman
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=164&cat_id=30

Or buy a used high end OEM HSF from soem who's upgraded, or gone under water.

scogoth

·feist· said:
Could always run multiple SSDs if it makes sense for your use.

Brands are only so important. It helps when certain brands have better warranties and service than others, though which OEMs each brand uses is key. Rosewill has used about a half dozen OEMs for their PSUs, most of which are middling at best. That isn't to say that that model isn't decent, only that you should also take a look at other options in that price range. It helps when the brand and specific model have a good track record.

The Sonata Proto doesn't have sound dampening like some of the other Sonata models. While the cable management in the 300 is limited, the Proto is even worse. Still, if you find the 300 for a reasonable price, it offers solid build, good airflow, and thicker steel than the vast majority of the cases in the ~$40-60 range. That last feature is one of the few reasons that I'd still recommend one, in specific instances. The case can also cool well, quietly. The top and rear exhaust have 3 speed control, and should be kept at either low or medium. Add one or two inexpensive, low speed fans for intake, adjust the GPU fan curve, and you should have a quiet build that would outperform a Proto.

Have to bite the bullet at some point.

Or buy a used high end OEM HSF from soem who's upgraded, or gone under water.

Water next build. Fuck noise

Hey folks, hopefully I will be doing an upgrade in the next 4-5 months and wanted some feedback.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Core duo 6400 /2 gigs DDR2 / MS7519 / 8800GTS 325mb
Budget: $500-700
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: upgrade later
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Red Orchestra 2, etc.
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750w, Thermaltake case, Western Digital WD Caviar RE16 320 GB SATA, )
When will you build?: November
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)

Thanks folks for any assistance you can offer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LovingSteam said:
Hey folks, hopefully I will be doing an upgrade in the next 4-5 months and wanted some feedback.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Core duo 6400 /2 gigs DDR2 / MS7519 / 8800GTS 325mb
Budget: $500-700
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: upgrade later
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Red Orchestra 2, etc.
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750w, Thermaltake case, Western Digital WD Caviar RE16 320 GB SATA, )
When will you build?: November
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)

Thanks folks for any assistance you can offer.
Come back in 4 months.
Bulldozer should be out.

TheExodu5

Banned
That would be so much torque on some already sagging video cards.

And is that really a water block on top of an air cooler? It can't be...that sounds like a terrible idea.

TheExodu5

Banned
scogoth said:

Get ready for 50+ hours of research and work, along with around $300-500.

It's not that difficult to get a nearly inaudible air cooled system. You just need good fan control. Also, avoid stock GPU coolers. Twin Frozr or DirectCu II on the cheap. Otherwise, invest in a better aftermarket cooling solution.

RS4-

For the Canadians, NCIX has the Intel 510 120GB ssd for 250 (yes, $30 MIR, $15 IR or something like that) and a Logitech G9x for only $70.

NCIX has the worst sales 95% of the time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
scogoth said:

Eh, I don't have much noise from my case. Uses 220 mm fans, uber quiet. With load there is a bit of noise, but not enough to be annoying. Using x2 6950 CF.

OCing with a good heatsink is pretty quiet on air too.

I remember a friend once going water cooling and ironically there were elusive bubbles making aquarium sounding noises. It was funny.

Revenant

So i got someof my stuff today, somehow i ordered 4 gb of ram on one stick, i think my cart glitched on me. Would newegg take it back and does it really matter if its 4 gigs on one stick or 2 by 2?

vilmer_

Revenant said:
So i got someof my stuff today, somehow i ordered 4 gb of ram on one stick, i think my cart glitched on me. Would newegg take it back and does it really matter if its 4 gigs on one stick or 2 by 2?

Ideally you'd want two sticks for dual-channel.

TheExodu5 said:
That would be so much torque on some already sagging video cards.

And is that really a water block on top of an air cooler? It can't be...that sounds like a terrible idea.
Yeah, I wouldn't use any of the above.
Some older blocks had a heatsink element. Even Thermaltake has had a few hybrid models.
t6tg0.jpg

http://sg2.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2005/1474/thermaltake_volcano4008.jpg
http://sg2.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2005/1474/thermaltake_volcano4005.jpg

Kaper

Just posting to thank Gaf for the advice. I got my PC parts in today and I am now posting from it :D You guys saved me a lot of worry.

Done! Took about 3 hours to put everything together. I'm fairly careful and meticulous. I've since cleaned up the wiring a bit more by tie wrapping the wires on the backside of the motherboard. Everything posted on first boot up. No issues at all getting windows installed and everything is reading as it should. I've not done any overclocking at all so the 2500k is at stock 3.3ghz at the moment. I'm running about 29-31c idle with Corsair H60.

The 800D already had the SATA3 upgraded board for the hotswappable drive tray so it looks like I'll be sending the one I bought back. It would have been nice to know it already came with the case.:(

Pics! (get ready for a good amount):

Right before I cleaned up the wires. Just a close up shot of the motherboard/cooler:
k39c1v.jpg

After I cleaned things up. Full shot:
rho3z7.jpg

Side panel with wiring. This has since been wrapped and tied up and looks much cleaner:
292ybko.jpg

The backside of the case:
333j044.jpg

The Razor Black Widow and Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse I just bought:
1zpi3bd.jpg

The ASUS VE247H Monitor I just got for the new PC:
2zi1onk.jpg

Anyone thought about this? If all you want to do is just use a computer for internet browsing (email, etc.), writing papers. You really don't ever need to upgrade a new comp in like forever.

Been having a problem for the last month or so, my computer detects my dvd rw drive, and when I put a disc in the autorun comes up. But whenever I try to access any disc, windows explorer locks up, and I have to log off and log back on to fix it, as well as removing the cd. Soo what could be the problem?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Futurevoid said:
Done! Took about 3 hours to put everything together. I'm fairly careful and meticulous. I've since cleaned up the wiring a bit more by tie wrapping the wires on the backside of the motherboard. Everything posted on first boot up. No issues at all getting windows installed and everything is reading as it should. I've not done any overclocking at all so the 2500k is at stock 3.3ghz at the moment. I'm running about 29-31c idle with Corsair H60.

The 800D already had the SATA3 upgraded board for the hotswappable drive tray so it looks like I'll be sending the one I bought back. It would have been nice to know it already came with the case.:(

Pics! (get ready for a good amount):

The Razor Black Widow and Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse I just bought:
1zpi3bd.jpg
Grats dude!

Let me know how you like the Blackwidow. I was going to buy one, but shied away its a Razer product. Awesome while it works :p
I ended up going with a DAS keyboard which should be here next week.

Eric WK

Oh jeeze. I was purchasing a student upgrade to Windows 7 Professional through Digital River and accidentally purchased the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit version. =/

Support looks like it's going to be a major pain in the ass and probably not very helpful. Should the product key I was given for the 32-bit purchase work if I use a 64-bit Professional install?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Eric WK said:
Oh jeeze. I was purchasing a student upgrade to Windows 7 Professional through Digital River and accidentally purchased the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit version. =/

Support looks like it's going to be a major pain in the ass and probably not very helpful. Should the product key I was given for the 32-bit purchase work if I use a 64-bit Professional install?
I believe they key does not care if it is 32 or 64. I might be wrong.

Movement

After trying to transfer my old computer to a new case the Bios is not reading my OS from my HDDs at all. It reads them, but says that they are deactivated. Did I plug the SATA cables in the wrong area or something?

scogoth said:
sigh, no amount of case thickness nor airflow will make 2 GTX470s quiet and tolerable.

If you use the stock coolers, which are absolutely terrible. I run GTX 470 SLI with a Thermalright Shaman on the top card and an MSI Twin Frozr II on the bottom card in an HAF 932. The machine is actually the quietest gaming PC I've ever built, which is ironic considering it's the first SLI machine I've ever built. I would dig up the post I made in the previous thread showing my setup if I remembered where it is.

Hazaro said:
I believe they key does not care if it is 32 or 64. I might be wrong.

I think it depends on what kind of Windows 7 these Student editions are. If they are like the OEM versions, those keys are I believe specific to 32-bit or 64-bit. The retail versions you buy in stores include both a 32-bit and 64-bit DVD in the box and the key works for either one.

The only way to know for sure is to test by installing 64-bit and using your key. The worst thing that happens is it won't work and you'll need to beg support for a 64-bit key.

Wallach

Hazaro said:
Grats dude!

Let me know how you like the Blackwidow. I was going to buy one, but shied away its a Razer product. Awesome while it works :p

Good choice. Did you decide to get the blues or the browns?

Ezahn

"...to install it your motherboard needs to come out of your chassis..."

This phrase is the most common I find in reviews of aftermarket coolers.
Since I planned to have the system prebuilt for me the idea that if I put in an aftermarket cooler I should take all that jazz out is killing me, making me opt for staying with the stock one.

I know some cases have a "hole" on their back to let you install coolers (and both the 690 II and Fractal R3 I'm considering have it, I think), but is it enough?

Hazaro said:
Grats dude!

I've had a Black Widow Ultimate for just over a week now and the thing is of surprisingly high quality. The build quality is pretty robust, no flex at all. The finish on the keys is slightly rubbery, I don't know if it'd be to everyone's preference.

I wanted Macro keys and the mic passthrough is pretty useful for getting my mic plugged in since my computer is far from where I sit, the backlighting is pretty neat too. My opinion of it is pretty positive, probably because I got one without any defects.

Eltacoman said:
After trying to transfer my old computer to a new case the Bios is not reading my OS from my HDDs at all. It reads them, but says that they are deactivated. Did I plug the SATA cables in the wrong area or something?
Double-check the motherboard manual (especially if you have a third-party controller on board). You may have plugged the HDDs into the wrong ports, need to enable/disable a function, or need to go over a controller driver.

Ezahn said:
"...to install it your motherboard needs to come out of your chassis..."

This phrase is the most common I find in reviews of aftermarket coolers.
Since I planned to have the system prebuilt for me the idea that if I put in an aftermarket cooler I should take all that jazz out is killing me, making me opt for staying with the stock one.

I know some cases have a "hole" on their back to let you install coolers (and both the 690 II and Fractal R3 I'm considering have it, I think), but is it enough?
Depends on the socket location on your specific motherboard, and the size or type of mounting mechanism for the cooler. Mids like the R3 and 690 II can still be tricky to work with space wise, unless everything aligns ideally.

Unknown Soldier said:
If you use the stock coolers, which are absolutely terrible. I run GTX 470 SLI with a Thermalright Shaman on the top card and an MSI Twin Frozr II on the bottom card in an HAF 932. The machine is actually the quietest gaming PC I've ever built, which is ironic considering it's the first SLI machine I've ever built. I would dig up the post I made in the previous thread showing my setup if I remembered where it is.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26037390#post26037390

Unknown Soldier said:
Well, I've successfully implemented Nvidia SLI in a reasonably quiet gaming computer setup using just all-aircooling. I had a guy tell me before that you can't SLI some Fermis on air and expect decent noise and heat levels and that I would need to use watercooling or my cards would self-immolate. Well, I'm here to say that he was full of shit. With careful choices of components, you can absolutely have an all-aircooled machine and not have it sound like a jet engine. This completes a build I started in late September of last year. Adding the second GTX 470 for SLI was the final step to completion.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/case_sli.jpg

Core i7-950 "Bloomfield" @4.01ghz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
6GB G.Skill "Ripjaws" series DDR3-1600

2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 SLI @760/1520/1850
card 1: eVGA GTX 470 SC with Thermalright Shaman
card 2: MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II

2x WD Raptors 74GB in RAID0 (boot drives)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB in RAID0 (games drives)

Corsair CMPSU-950TX 950W PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
2x bottom fans: Noctua NF-P12
1x top fan: Noctua NF-S12
front and rear fans: included with case

And here's what I accomplished:
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/kombustor.jpg
56C on the top card and 59C on the bottom card is pretty good for aircooling. :3

A special shout out goes to gaffer evil solrac v3.0, who mailed me the special extra-long SLI bridge connector I needed to make this build a reality! Thank you very much!!

Ezahn

·feist· said:
Depends on the socket location on your specific motherboard, and the size or type of mounting mechanism for the cooler. Mids like the R3 and 690 II can still be tricky to work with space wise, unless everything aligns ideally.

Oh god, that's what I feared. Thanks for confirming this .feist.
I may stay with stock cooler then.
I was tempted by trying to build the pc myself, but it would be my first time and unfortunately I'm not that meticolous and patient. :)

jarosh

what optical drives are you guys using/recommending? i was just gonna put in a cheap lg one but heard not so good things about its reliability and loudness. anyone have the Lite-On iHAS624? is the asus one from the op builds reasonably quiet?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
Good choice. Did you decide to get the blues or the browns?
Blues
jarosh said:
what optical drives are you guys using/recommending? i was just gonna put in a cheap lg one but heard not so good things about its reliability and loudness. anyone have the Lite-On iHAS624? is the asus one from the op builds reasonably quiet?
The one near $20 that has a billion newegg reviews

jarosh

Hazaro said:
Blues

The one near $20 that has a billion newegg reviews
if only it were available in switzerland :/

there's the Asus DRW-24B3ST (or the LT with lightscribe) here. i suppose it's similar...? can't find much info about it though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I plan to upgrade in roughly 2-3 weeks (when I receive my tax return). Since there's nothing new on the PC hardware scene within that horizon, I decided that I may as well get the PC-GAF verdict on my intended build:

UknUo.jpg

Some notes:

- I'm an Aussie, hence the prices.
- The DVD-RW drive, 60GB Vertex 2 (OS & programs), 1TB 7200rpm drive (games) and 2x 2TB Samsung F4s (storage) in my current PC will be used in this future system.
- I intend to overclock the CPU to at least 4.5GHz. Initially, I decided on the Noctua NH-D14, but the handful of reviews I later read placed the Silver Arrow practically neck-and-neck with it, so I settled on the latter as it's $20 cheaper.
- I do a fair bit of video encoding, hence the 2600k over the 2500k. If I need to trim some fat from the price, however, I'll switch to the latter.
- Yes, the RAM is 1.5v. It's also the cheapest 2x4GB DDR3-1600 kit PCCG stocks.

Sending off my p67le b2 for RMA tomorrow (yeah I am lttp) anyway, it has suddenly dawned on me that I have no idea how to store my CPU once I remove it. I have the box but not the plastic insert it came in, suggestions?

daviyoung

Banned
MikeDub said:
Sending off my p67le b2 for RMA tomorrow (yeah I am lttp) anyway, it has suddenly dawned on me that I have no idea how to store my CPU once I remove it. I have the box but not the plastic insert it came in, suggestions?

Freezer bag + bubblewrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom