• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
cackhyena said:
Alright. I hope it's easy to install. This will be my first rig built.

As long as you take your time and have a good work environment then even your first rig will be easy as cake.

RS4-

Piece of shit firefox sync didn't even save my bookmarks and whatnot. Good thing I have lastpass for passwords but still :|

Not sure why my bios was reporting my temps to be in the high 60s; realtemp and speedfan on idle are mid 30s and 50-60s under the torture test in prime95.

Then again, bios tends to run things on a higher load iirc?

scy said:
The Dell U2410 and Asus PA246Q are wide gamut monitors so if you're not doing something heavy, heavy, heavy with colors at a professional capacity, you probably won't get much out of them.

The Dell U2311H has a glossy anti-glare finish and the HP ZR24w is a matte one, I believe; of the two, I'd probably go for the Dell; the ZR24w lacks some responsiveness for gaming (not that the 2311H is ideal and neither of them are awful) and isn't that great out of the box if I recall. A lot of people seem to loathe the AG coating on the Dell, though, so that's something to consider against it.

I was in the same position as you and between these two monitors and I instead picked up two HP 2509b. It's a glossy 25" TN panel so it's not as vivd as the IPS panels but, at the time, two of them were cheaper than the one ZR24w so I feel like I came out ahead. Plus, they were ever so slightly better for gaming and being glossy helps cover some of the ground lost on the color front; the viewing angle loss is "meh" to me since I'm never not at the right angle for using them. It's not like they're TVs and something for the entire room to be viewing.

Here's some reviews for them to get a good grasp on what you're looking at:
Dell U2311H #1, Dell U2311H #2
HP ZR24w #1, HP ZR24w #2
HP 2509b
Thank you for posting this! Great information. Deciding on one is still gonna be a pain :)

RS4-

Deputy Moonman said:
Thank you for posting this! Great information. Deciding on one is still gonna be a pain :)

One note about the 2311 monitor, it's a huge tossup in regards to your panel, some have some awful green tinting issues.

knitoe

RS4- said:
Piece of shit firefox sync didn't even save my bookmarks and whatnot. Good thing I have lastpass for passwords but still :|

Not sure why my bios was reporting my temps to be in the high 60s; realtemp and speedfan on idle are mid 30s and 50-60s under the torture test in prime95.

Then again, bios tends to run things on a higher load iirc?
Your bios temps shouldn't be as similar to running Prime95, but it should still be higher than idling since the bios doesn't have power saving features found in the OS.

MisterNoisy

B-Dex said:
What do people think of msi for mobos? I'm debating between this msi z68 or this gigabyte z68.

msi one has no reviews anywhere that I can find :S.

I'm a pretty big fan of MSI in general, and their GD65-series boards for P55 and P67 were both great picks in the ~$150-200 range (comparable to ASUS -PRO series boards). I can't guarantee that you won't get a dud, but I've never had a bad experience with their stuff.

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
Guess I had you confused with someone else. In that case, a 2500K @ 4.6-4.8GHz (assuming you buy a $30 Hyper 212+) would be significantly faster. Maybe not enough to notice the difference in that many games at this point, but you'd certainly get a lot more life out of the system.

Whether or not that's worth it to you, only you can say.

I'm the one with the 930 at 3.9 =]
And I think I can push higher now that the airflow is much improved with a new case. Aw screw it going for 4.8 on 45nm!

typo said:
I've ordered my new rig from NCIX (i5 2500K; 16GB G.SKILL RAM; 60GB Agility 3 (cache) + 2TB WD Caviar; Gigabyte Z68 board whose name escapes me at the moment; single 6950, with second 6950 waiting in the horizon). I cannot wait.

Any recommendations for ghosting software?

With caching, go fresh install.

jarosh

i had 2 (TWO) MSI P55-CD53 mobos doa when i built a system 2 years ago. switched to asus, never had any problems again.

scy

Deputy Moonman said:

Tell me about it; I'm still in mouse picking limbo. The mouse I wrote off and included out of a sense of completeness is the one that got glowing recommendations here (the MX518) so I'm back at square one :| Maybe I'll just buy them all and hope for a robust return policy or something.

Or start collecting mice so I can have a different one for every game genre...

ithorien

scy said:
Tell me about it; I'm still in mouse picking limbo. The mouse I wrote off and included out of a sense of completeness is the one that got glowing recommendations here (the MX518) so I'm back at square one :| Maybe I'll just buy them all and hope for a robust return policy or something.

If you buy at local stores they'll be lenient to returns, as long as you don't return 235 times.

Kambing

scy said:

I have the Razer Mamba and it is really awesome. I am 4-5 feet away from the computer though, so having a wireless mouse was a must. But yeah, try and check it out.

jarosh said:
i had 2 (TWO) MSI P55-CD53 mobos doa when i built a system 2 years ago. switched to asus, never had any problems again.
That could be said for ASUS and Gigabyte as well. It's just the luck of the draw bro.

knitoe

Thought I was done with my computer, but everytime I read this thread, it gets me to buy more stuff. So, I bought and received the $60 Logitech solar powered keyboard yesterday, and now, I want to get a Logitech Unify mouse to go with it. Ended up, buying the $80 Performance MX since I can use it on my glass table w/o mouse pad.

B-Dex

OK so I think I really have what I want picked out now:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer
Mobo: msi Z68A-GD65-B3
CPU: i5 2500k
PSU: Corsair AX850
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600
Vid Card: msi GTX 560ti Hawk OC (Cost a dollar more than Twin Frozr II OC)
SSD: Intel 320 80GB GEN3
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
Hyper 212 plus
MX-4 paste
24x DVD Drive
Games Included:
Ass. Creed Bro.
NBA 2K11
Mafia II
Just Cause 2
3DMark 11 Advanced

Total: $1447.06 CDN (with price matching and getting ncix to build it)

scy

ithorien said:
If you buy at local stores they'll be lenient to returns, as long as you don't return 235 times.

Kambing said:
I have the Razer Mamba and it is really awesome. I am 4-5 feet away from the computer though, so having a wireless mouse was a must. But yeah, try and check it out.

Yeah, going to go do some local visits to see what good mice I can find and probably just buy them up and give them a try (or if they have them out and about just try the display ones, I suppose). Maybe give the "gaming" wireless ones a try too to see how they fare. My comfy couch setup used my DiNovo + MX Revolution wasn't bad and the wireless didn't seem too bad there but I never gave it a good FPS gaming try, really. Curious on how the Razer Mamba and Saitek RAT 7 feel as well as the previous ones listed (MX 518, Deathadder, NAOS 5000).

Man ... so much to do still on this build to get it just right. Maybe I should just be less anal and deal with it with my G5 lol.

mkenyon

Banned
knitoe said:
Thought I was done with my computer, but everytime I read this thread, it gets me to buy more stuff. So, I bought and received the $60 Logitech solar powered keyboard yesterday, and now, I want to get a Logitech Unify mouse to go with it. Ended up, buying the $80 Performance MX since I can use it on my glass table w/o mouse pad.
Story of my life. I was totally happy with my rig like 2 months ago, now its sitting in a brand new case with a new cpu cooler, and a second 5870. I love/hate this thread.

Coldsnap said:
Hmmm, thanks. You really think I will notice temp change from moving a 500rpm fan? If so I will change its place next time i dust it out. What would be the best way of taking before and after temps? What program should I run and for how long? Thanks in advance, I'm still learning.
Any little bit helps. As long as the fan has decent pressure, even at low speed, it should help. I doubt 500rpm is its max, so why not run it at a higher speed?

You can try a basic 1 hour test of OCCT, which will record your temps, volts, and store a copy for you to review. For heavier full system stress, you can run Prime along with Furmark to top out your CPU and GPU. Just keep before and after records of everything to review later so you can see which config works best for you.

jarosh said:
any recommendations for a quiet cpu cooler as a replacement for the i5 2500k stock cooler? it has to fit in a silverstone gd05, which means i'm height restricted to 70 mm max.
This is where AIO water cooling is best suited, since you don't have space for high end air coolering. Antec Kühler H₂O 620, and possibly a Corsair H60.

For air, you have options like: Scythe Shuriken, Scythe Big Shuriken, Cooler Master GeminII S and Prolimatech Samuel 17, with Thermalright AXP-140, Noctua NH-C12, and Noctua NH-C14 on the upper end. You should also have just enough room to fit some of the tower style 92mm HSFs available.

Take a look at some GD05/06 reviews, for pictures from the build portion.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
Using your $80 mouse on glass is the best/worst excuse.

Too bad the Performance MX isn't as good as the MX Revolution was (sans the Darkforce optics). Loved that mouse so much.

Also have a surprise coming over the weekend :)

Binabik15

Qjser.jpg

Best cable management I got for now. Dems a lot of cables.

It should be okay, some space between the cards, no cables in front of fans etc. It´s just really ugly :/

Now we´ll try turning it on for the first time. *prays to the geek gods*

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Using your $80 mouse on glass is the best/worst excuse.

Too bad the Performance MX isn't as good as the MX Revolution was (sans the Darkforce optics). Loved that mouse so much.

Also have a surprise coming over the weekend :)
Any reason to buy more stuff = good :)

What's the surprise?

Binabik15 said:
Best cable management I got for now. Dems a lot of cables.

It should be okay, some space between the cards, no cables in front of fans etc. It´s just really ugly :/

Now we´ll try turning it on for the first time. *prays to the geek gods*
Doesn't that case allow you to route cables behind the MB? That should make it way less messy looking. And, once you get it running, time for Witcher 2.

Binabik15

It liiiiiives. Turned on just fine. Phew.

knitoe said:
Doesn't that case allow you to route cables behind the MB? That should make it way less messy looking. And, once you get it running, time for Witcher 2.

Eh, some of the smaller cables are running in the back, but there´s no space for the big ones. I don´t mind the cables that are actually connected to something, but I hate the big pile of useless cables behind the PSU. Still, nothing is visible through the vent holes (besides the glowing LEDs, lol, how necessary).

The CPU temps was ~36°C in the bios before I installed W7 and I set the the fans to adjust themselves and not run at full speed all the time, but there´s still very audible noise.

That´s not good, isn´t it? I guess I shuld take the Hyper 212 off and mount it again with those temps? It got a bit twisted around while I put the mobo in the case (thanks, fucking useless easy-install system blocking the 6950s from getting in), so the thermal paste layer might have been damaged.Grr, that´ll be quite the hassle.

Binabik15

Binabik15 said:
It liiiiiives. Turned on just fine. Phew.

Eh, some of the smaller cables are running in the back, but there´s no space for the big ones. I don´t mind the cables that are actually connected to something, but I hate the big pile of useless cables behind the PSU. Still, nothing is visible through the vent holes (besides the glowing LEDs, lol, how necessary).

The CPU temps was ~36°C in the bios before I installed W7 and I set the the fans to adjust themselves and not run at full speed all the time, but there´s still very audible noise.

That´s not good, isn´t it? I guess I shuld take the Hyper 212 off and mount it again with those temps? It got a bit twisted around while I put the mobo in the case (thanks, fucking useless easy-install system blocking the 6950s from getting in), so the thermal paste layer might have been damaged.Grr, that´ll be quite the hassle.

Edit that people will actually read -> quote :p

Now that the ASRock drivers are installed I checked it with the Extreme whatsitcalled thingy and it said 36. I played around with fan speed to see whether it´s the case fans or the Hyper 212 that is making the "noise" (it´s the case fans, duh) and lowered them from 9 down to three and after a while CPU temp said 28°C. Stayed there. Went from the Fan tab to the Hardware one inside the programe and it jumped to 36, then went down to 28 again.

Now, a couple of minutes later, it still sits at 29°C. Were the high temps a meassuring fluke or what? I´ll keep it running for a while tomorrow before we test it under load, when it keeps cool we´ll install some crazy shit, probably Crysis 1 or Metro :D

The Witcher 2 is mine alone until I have time to finish Act 3.

Corky said:
Fucking Gaf with the killer rigs. Respect, respect...

Well, it´s my brother´s, I´m just expected to do all the work because I apparently can do that. Yeah, google and looking at manuals makes you the family go to tech support.

And the GAF membership, hehe. I´d be quite lost without you guys, many thanks!

jarosh

·feist· said:
This is where AIO water cooling is best suited, since you don't have space for high end air coolering. Antec Kühler H₂O 620, and possibly a Corsair H60.

For air, you have options like: Scythe Shuriken, Scythe Big Shuriken, Cooler Master GeminII S and Prolimatech Samuel 17, with Thermalright AXP-140, Noctua NH-C12, and Noctua NH-C14 on the upper end. You should also have just enough room to fit some of the tower style 92mm HSFs available.

Take a look at some GD05/06 reviews, for pictures from the build portion.
i had already done some research and decided that the scythe big shuriken sounds great, so i added it to my build :)

the corsair h60 is neat in theory but it requires a LOT of work to get it into the case. some guy pulled it off, but only by literally cutting and sawing off shit inside the case. no thanks.

...i also upgraded to an intel 510 series 120 gb :D

B-Dex

jarosh said:

Yup gonna go for one of those as well. The the z68 caching only works with 60gb ssds! Meh. I'll just go for 120 instead! Maybe I should just go for a p67 now too.

vilmer_

Binabik15 said:
Edit that people will actually read -> quote :p

Now that the ASRock drivers are installed I checked it with the Extreme whatsitcalled thingy and it said 36. I played around with fan speed to see whether it´s the case fans or the Hyper 212 that is making the "noise" (it´s the case fans, duh) and lowered them from 9 down to three and after a while CPU temp said 28°C. Stayed there. Went from the Fan tab to the Hardware one inside the programe and it jumped to 36, then went down to 28 again.

Now, a couple of minutes later, it still sits at 29°C. Were the high temps a meassuring fluke or what? I´ll keep it running for a while tomorrow before we test it under load, when it keeps cool we´ll install some crazy shit, probably Crysis 1 or Metro :D

The Witcher 2 is mine alone until I have time to finish Act 3.

The bios temps always read high, you're fine :)

Why doesn't the OP have a guide to SSDs besides news from June? I doubt I'll be able to afford any kind this year, but I want to hear something better than to choose Intel. I've already deserted AMD's CPUs and I'm not adding another expensive Intel part to my budget summer build.

Current wish list: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10569589

Budget: $600 before SSD + W7 (most I'm willing to spend, period.)

Storage options:
Samsung 2TB F4 HDD
Samsgung + Crucial/Kingston 60GB SSD

They can't be as bad as OCZ, could they? Give us hard-drive-only folks some hope.

desh

How does this build look?

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155-----------$219.99
ASUS P8P67 LE LGA 1155 ATX Motherboard------------------------$129.99
HIS PCI-Express Radeon HD 6870 Video Card----------------------$184.99
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 PC1600 Memory (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)-----$44.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache----------$59.99
Antec Mid Tower Computer Case Sonata Proto----------------------$64.99
Rosewill RG630-S12 630-Watt Green Series 80 PLUS Certified---$59.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total---------------------------------------------------------------------$764.93

I'm cannibalizing the optical drive, but other than that I think I have everything. What should I do to try and minimize the noise level? ie, don't use the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the cpu?

Edit: GPU is 6870 not 6850

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "Yes, you fucking idiot," but is 850W HX enough for 2 580 SLI, 4.5 Ghz, harddrive, and SSD. Gunna buy another 580 if so.

B-Dex said:
Yup gonna go for one of those as well. The the z68 caching only works with 60gb ssds! Meh. I'll just go for 120 instead! Maybe I should just go for a p67 now too.
Not quite. Z68 SSD caching can allocate up to 64GB. You can use less than 64GB if you like. You aren't limited to a specific max SSD size.

jarosh said:
i had already done some research and decided that the scythe big shuriken sounds great, so i added it to my build :)

the corsair h60 is neat in theory but it requires a LOT of work to get it into the case. some guy pulled it off, but only by literally cutting and sawing off shit inside the case. no thanks.

Sounds like you're set.

desh said:

HIS PCI-Express Radeon HD 6850 Video Card----------------------$184.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total---------------------------------------------------------------------$764.93

I'm cannibalizing the optical drive, but other than that I think I have everything. What should I do to try and minimize the noise level? ie, don't use the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the cpu?
Even at stock speeds, an inexpensive aftermarket HSF will make a big difference in cooling and noise.

I wouldn't but the Asus LE if you intend on overclocking, and you can find better built/higher rated PSUs from XFX, Corsair, Antec, etc. for ~$60-80. GPU wise, you can get a 6870/GTX 460 for about that price. 6850 can be had for about $150, give or take.

The Sonata Proto isn't worth $65. The OP recommendation will be changing soon. Just have to wait for certain replacements to be released between Q3 and Q4. As is, have a look at options like the Antec 300 (only if it's ~$50, or less), BitFenix Shinobi, Cooler Master HAF 912, NZXT Source 210 ($40) and 210 Elite ($50).

B-Dex

·feist· said:
Not quite. Z68 SSD caching can allocate up to 64GB. You can use less than 64GB if you like. You aren't limited to a specific max SSD size.

Yes. I went and did some more reading :)

I'll still spring for the 120gb and keep the z68. :D Can't wait to till I order it.

desh

·feist· said:
I wouldn't but the Asus LE if you intend on overclocking, and you can find better built/higher rated PSUs from XFX, Corsair, Antec, etc. for ~$60-80. GPU wise, you can get a 6870/GTX 460 for about that price. 6850 can be had for about $150, give or take.

The Sonata Proto isn't worth $65. The OP recommendation will be changing soon. Just have to wait for certain replacements to be released between Q3 and Q4. As is, have a look at options like the Antec 300 (only if it's ~$50, or less), BitFenix Shinobi, Cooler Master HAF 912, NZXT Source 210 ($40) and 210 Elite ($50).

The GPU is in fact a 6870,and not a 6850, that was a typo on my part. I had been looking at the Antec 300 for a while, but I thought that the Sonata Proto would be quieter.

As for the PSU, I know I don't want to skimp on it, but I thought the Rosewill looked pretty good. I realize brand is very important when it comes to PSUs, so I'll take a look at XFX, Corsair, and Antec.

Edit: I thought 630 W would be fine, and it has 600 W on the 12 V rail. The Rosewill is also 80 Plus certified (just not bronze)

DigiMish

So I'm looking to build my first PC. I consider myself technically competent for such a feat as I've disassembled PCs, laptops, consoles before. Following a guide can't be that hard.

I'm thinking of building this PC from the Tech Report guide for the summer, which they wrote yesterday as of this post. This is their "Utility Player" configuration with a GeForce card instead of ATI because of my personal preference.

My price range is around $800-$1000, cheaper the better obviously.

Specs:

Processor.......Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz.....................................$219.99
Motherboard...Asus P8P67 LE........................................................$139.99
Memory..........Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600..........$84.99
Graphics.........Asus GeForce GTX 560 TOP.....................................$219.99
Storage..........Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB.......................................$64.99
.....................Asus DRW-24B1ST...................................................$20.99
Audio.............Asus Xonar DG........................................................$34.99
Enclosure........NZXT H2.................................................................$99.99
Power supply...Seasonic M12II 520W..............................................$89.99

source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21164/4

What do you guys think? Any feedback/suggestions are welcome. Any places I could find these components for cheaper than newegg?

Is this good enough for games and applications like photoshop and 3dsmax?

RS4-

DigiMish said:
So I'm looking to build my first PC. I consider myself technically competent for such a feat as I've disassembled PCs, laptops, consoles before. Following a guide can't be that hard.

I'm thinking of building this PC from the Tech Report guide for the summer, which they wrote yesterday as of this post. This is their "Utility Player" configuration with a GeForce card instead of ATI because of my personal preference.

Specs:

What do you guys think? Any feedback/suggestions are welcome. Any places I could find these components for cheaper than newegg?

Cheaper than newegg is possible depending on where you live. You might want to get a P8P67 pro instead of the LE. And the GPU, I think most recommend that you get the Ti version of the 560

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
piratepwnsninja said:
So for anyone looking for an alternate way to hook their PC to their HDTV for big comfy couch gaming, I can vouch for the Wireless HDMI kit from Monoprice. I actually did an unboxing and quick look at it here (first one of these I've ever done):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL_Y-qCuMxQ

It's working just fine so far. If you have any questions, I'll answer them.

Interesting video.

I'll keep one of these in mind once if i buy a new tv worth gaming on.

ElyrionX

I own the Dell 2410. It's a great monitor and it's 16:10, meaning you get more vertical space which is helpful for desktop usage.

Also for those considering mice, do look at the Logitech G700. 3200 DPI laser and wireless. It looks great, is extremely functional plus it's a Logitech so you can expect it to be durable and reliable through the years.

scogoth

More pics of case running.

I'm blue da boo dee da boo di. Actually one of the fans they shipped was green...

Window is very tinted

Secret front wire routing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChoklitReign said:
Why doesn't the OP have a guide to SSDs besides news from June? I doubt I'll be able to afford any kind this year, but I want to hear something better than to choose Intel. I've already deserted AMD's CPUs and I'm not adding another expensive Intel part to my budget summer build.

Current wish list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10569589

Budget: $600 before SSD + W7 (most I'm willing to spend, period.)

Storage options:
Samsung 2TB F4 HDD
Samsgung + Crucial/Kingston 60GB SSD

They can't be as bad as OCZ, could they? Give us hard-drive-only folks some hope.
Fixed your wishlist to public link. You have to e-mail the link or copy paste the last ID into the public type. Simply setting it does not work unfortunately.

OP guide hasn't been updated since SSD since I still feel the Intel 320/510's are the best buy.
I'm not sure what you'd like to see? In the news section? Let me know.
If you want budget you can get a Vertex II.

I'd swap the PSU to an XFX Core 450W. I'm going to change it now that the rebate is not longer $20.
desh said:

HIS PCI-Express Radeon HD 6870 Video Card----------------------$184.99

Edit: GPU is 6870 not 6850
Was mentioned, but I'll chime in anyway.

ASUS Extreme 4 / MSI 55 instead of the LE. LE is low end and is gimped for overclocking and features at the same price as other boards.
Sonata Pro is not worth $65 imo
Get an XFX Core 550W PSU or a BP550 if you want modular.

You can also get a GTX 560Ti for $200 after rebate which is nice. 6870 solid card though.
DigiMish said:

Specs:

See above for LE comments.

Get a 560 Ti not a 560.

Absolutely will demolish photoshop. 3dsmax there's nothing really faster so I think it should do well on that too.
snack said:
Hey, PC-GAF. Got a question about ram.

Is there a big difference between these two different types of ram? If I don't plan on overclocking my memory, would I be seeing any significant differences?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
~2% in real world. Usually less. I run 1333 myself.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
snack said:
Hey, PC-GAF. Got a question about ram.

Is there a big difference between these two different types of ram? If I don't plan on overclocking my memory, would I be seeing any significant differences?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

If you're not overclocking it doesn't matter. Some motherboards allow setting the RAM speed independently with the CPU multiplier. So with those motherboards your RAM would supposedly run faster. Whether or not it's worth $4 I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom