• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any recommendations for cases with good airflow in the 50-60 price range?

Watch out for deals on the 26th. If you can grab the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced or even better, the Corsair 400R for $60, you won't be beating that.

Otherwise, at default MSRP, the HAF 912 is decent.

Juice

Yep, it's my favorite TN monitor. Very, very fast. Colors are reasonably good, as you say. Backlight bleed is minimal as well.

Solid build. Can't really go wrong with that.

Just to give you a heads up: gaming on a 2560*1440 display is very demanding, so you may or may not find performance a bit wanting when playing at that resolution. You did the right choice by going with the 6950 2GB though...at such a high resolution, VRAM does start becoming important.

Thanks man! I feel better already

Previous

check out my new Swatch
OK, here is another updated build list for me:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.24 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($158.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.02 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($207.85 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($196.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.07 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($191.49 @ Mwave)
Total: $1638.10
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-24 13:22 EST-0500)

Changed from my last list:
Added case, cpu cooler, DVD, OS and HDD.
I decided to go for a 850W PSU incase I ever decide to upgrade or go dual gfx cards in the future.

I switched my video card from a 560ti 2GB to a 6950, the benches seem to be better, any opinion on the difference?

RS4-

Jesus those HDD prices :(

Does anyone look at Craigslist and their alternatives for cases and such? Things like that, you can save quite a bit (same with other parts) but at least with cases, they're relatively safe.

inky

Probably not the place to ask this, but with the Hard Drive issue I can't buy a disc now or won't be able to buy one soon it seems:

I have a secondary drive with two partitions (I'm on Windows 7); first partition is Steam, second is just videos and such. My Steam drive is almost full and I need the space, so my question is, if I wipe clean the Videos partition, will it let me extend (option currently grayed out) the Steam volume or is there no way around it other than formatting the disc entirely? Both are labeled as "simple volume" in the disc management utility if that helps.

Threi

notag
trying to find a non-gaming comp for boxing day...not really having much luck.

Every comp I have owned i've built myself...but i'm feeling kind of lazy and don't want to build one this time (especially considering its not for gaming), would rather have a prebuilt that is good bang for buck.

problem is...boxing day this year kinda sucks for deals.

Looking through that entire thing (refurbs or not don't matter to me, I can replace anything that may fail), The two that caught my eye were the Compaq Sandy Bridge (G620T) for $299 @ Best buy, and the AMD A6-3600 for $349.

both here: http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index.php/image_full/1978/

or should i just suck it up and make a new build (again)?

vilmer_

Wow, I opened my case to install a new fan up top and I noticed my video card is sagging lol. It's a pretty heavy/beefy card, I'm going to have to use something to keep it straight - possibly put something underneath or use a piece of string and tie it to the top.

Maaseru

Banned
I just got a NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case for $150 @ CompUSA, so look around for deals, instead of going through Amazon. At least online shipping kills me for the bigger components.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What budget video card should I upgrade to if I have a ati 5770?

I have that, and I personally don't feel like the jump to the very next level is big enough for what I have now, I'm still waiting for the 69xx cards to get under $200. Might be a while.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
Wow, I opened my case to install a new fan up top and I noticed my video card is sagging lol. It's a pretty heavy/beefy card, I'm going to have to use something to keep it straight - possibly put something underneath or use a piece of string and tie it to the top.

Hm. It shouldn't really be sagging that bad. Maybe, make sure the screw that attaches the video card bracket to the the computer case expansion slot of is tight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Question: with my macbookpro, to share my wired internet connection with my iPad and such (I don't have a router nor it is a viable solution) I just need to turn the Airport app ON, set Internet sharing to ON and it'll function as a wifi hotspot/ad-hoc connection where my iPad/phone/ps3 and such can connect to via wifi.

What do I need to have the same with my PC, is it possible to do the same thing?
I'd use it with a USB modem, and I need to share the modem internet connection via wifi to other devices.
Do I just need a wifi card (my motherboard has not integrated wifi)? Which one do you guys suggest (Win7 64-bit)?

Thanks.

vilmer_

Hm. It shouldn't really be sagging that bad. Maybe, make sure the screw that attaches the video card bracket to the the computer case expansion slot of is tight.

The screws are definitely tight, I think it's just too darn heavy :( I found a post on the net with someone who had the exact same issue and same video card.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1003177/asus-gtx580-directcu-ii-sagging

This is exactly what mine looks like, going to need to fix this asap.

OK, here is another updated build list for me:

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.24 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($158.49 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($207.85 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($196.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($191.49 @ Mwave)
Total: $1638.10
(Generated 2011-12-24 13:22 EST-0500)

Changed from my last list:
Added case, cpu cooler, DVD, OS and HDD.
I decided to go for a 850W PSU incase I ever decide to upgrade or go dual gfx cards in the future.

I switched my video card from a 560ti 2GB to a 6950, the benches seem to be better, any opinion on the difference?

It sucks there's no deals on the all important i2500k. You can find deals on practically any of the other stuff if you keep up with hot deals forums, but never anything good on that CPU.

Intel knows they have us by the balls.

Celcius

°Temp. member
When testing your videocard's overclocks, do you guys just run games and loop benchmarks like 3dmark & heaven for hours or do you also run brutal stuff like occt & furmark?
Do you think furmark & occt's gpu test are overkill? (insane heat and power draw)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
When testing your videocard's overclocks, do you guys just run games and loop benchmarks like 3dmark & heaven for hours or do you also run brutal stuff like occt & furmark?
Do you think furmark & occt's gpu test are overkill? (insane heat and power draw)

I run heaven for 2-3 loops and if the OC isn't good enough it'll crash. When I have an OC that I'm happy with and that is stable I just forget about it and play games. If I then get gpu/oc related freezes in games I'll just kick up the voltage one notch or lower the OC 10 mhz.

That has worked for me everytime.

T-Matt

So I went to install my gpu (just a 9800gt fwiw) and I can't get it to display. It seems the onboard is all that is working.
I Uninstalled the drivers and ran driver sweeper and all that. Changed the init display in bios to PEG. The options were PEG PCI and something else that didn't seem right.
The gpu is spinning up and everything so I'm kinda confused on where to go from here.
I couldn't find any place in bios to disable the integrated graphics.
Motherboard is GA-78LMT-S2P gigabyte. Any ideas?

Threi

notag
found an actual link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=cc5dde44d458e628688ba4f49ce94c21en02

i know i shouldn't be looking at bestbuy for systems but i don't really see anything thats a better value (checked NCIX, CC, TigerDirect) without me having to build it (which again isn't a problem, but i'd rather not - saving only $50 doesn't really mean much)

It will NOT be used for gaming, but I don't want poor value (they have Intel ATOM systems that cost more FFS)

*edit* found one thats slightly better value, refurb though: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=c6f0cfc6849fe96a5c8c318f971efde7en02

...maybe i should just build another one.

RS4-

found an actual link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=cc5dde44d458e628688ba4f49ce94c21en02

i know i shouldn't be looking at bestbuy for systems but i don't really see anything thats a better value (checked NCIX, CC, TigerDirect) without me having to build it (which again isn't a problem, but i'd rather not - saving only $50 doesn't really mean much)

It will NOT be used for gaming, but I don't want poor value (they have Intel ATOM systems that cost more FFS)

*edit* found one thats slightly better value, refurb though: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=c6f0cfc6849fe96a5c8c318f971efde7en02

...maybe i should just build another one.

I should sell you my c2q Q6600 system!

JJBro One

I'm having a tough time finding a psu for my brother's build. I plan on getting at least a 750W because we might sli in the future.

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($192.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.26 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $690.18
(Generated 2011-12-25 00:30 EST-0500)

What PSU is recommended? I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-371-051 would I even need 750W to sli 2 560 ti's?
Is this one good? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DJG6UK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TheExodu5

Banned
Please, list deals. I need something to buy this Boxing Day, and I can't find anything I want.

The video cards are certainly a nice deal. Too bad I don't need any.

Corsair 400R at $63 is smoking hot.

Mushkin 8GB of RAM for $20. :O

I wish the Accelero Xtreme Plus were cheaper. $60 is too much to spend on my aging 570.

A system with a 6850 would pull about 300w on load and that Corsair is a good one so yeah it's fine.

I'd look for other GPU brands though.

Karmum

Banned
Just want to make sure this EVGA GTX 460 can SLI with this one. Having a hard time finding places that sell this. Just got BF3 for Christmas and if I'm not that satisfied with one 460 I may get another.

Also, Merry Christmas!

Repgnar

Just got done building my computer. The build went pretty smoothly and I have not run into any problems yet. Thanks for the op and the guys that looked over my build when I posted it a little while ago. Also helped my brother take out his power supply and replace it then put in a 560TI card. That went extremely smooth too. Got the drivers installed and i'm working on getting some games installed. Can't wait!

mkenyon

Banned
Just want to make sure this EVGA GTX 460 can SLI with this one. Having a hard time finding places that sell this. Just got BF3 for Christmas and if I'm not that satisfied with one 460 I may get another.

Also, Merry Christmas!
Will work fine, the higher OC one will just downclock to match the lower one. You can then apply a custom OC if you would like. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed. Seems every nvidia driver release includes more tweaks for BF3.

Merry Christmas to you as well!
Just got done building my computer. The build went pretty smoothly and I have not run into any problems yet. Thanks for the op and the guys that looked over my build when I posted it a little while ago. Also helped my brother take out his power supply and replace it then put in a 560TI card. That went extremely smooth too. Got the drivers installed and i'm working on getting some games installed. Can't wait!
*internet high five*

Nabs

Time to have fun with the Steam sale.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
OK, sorry for posting so many of these, but I am 99% sure this is my final part list.
I promise

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($196.99 @ Mac Connection)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full (32/64-bit) ($224.85 @ B&H)
Total: $1968.21
(Generated 2011-12-25 14:12 EST-0500)

Not included on the PCPartPicker list:
Xonar DG Sound Card $24
ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter $20 (I need to use wifi at my house, but ill be moving back into a college dorm in 3 weeks which is wired, so this is just a temporary need)
and just for note I'm going to keep using my same keyboard and mouse(their relatively new) and my 21 inch HP 1080 display.

Now I plan on looking out for any upcoming sales, but other than maybe the HDD(dat shortage prices) I don't see myself making anymore drastic changes beyond changes of what site I order off of.
I know the new 7000s series is coming out but I really don't want to wait.
I would like to start ordering tonight or tomorrow so any final input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A very good list and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Some swaps I would do:
CM 212 EVO instead. Save $50. If you are paying for looks and a tad better performance know you are. Unless you are doing 4.6Ghz + on higher volts I wouldn't spend any more.
Low Profile Vengeance RAM
GTX 580 with a custom cooler. Spend that $50 saved or pony up more for a decent one. Alternatively wait 2 weeks for 7970 as it will be 20-30% faster for the same price.
Professional instead of Ultimate? Do you need Ultimate?

T-Matt

I disabled my integrated graphics and that didn't seem to help at all.
My computer just doesn't want to recognize my gpu I guess :/
The computer boots and the gpu fan is spinning, I'm lost about what to do.

Negaiido

What PSU would be recommended if I had the following Hardware?

Intel Core i5 2400

Crucial m4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB

Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile

Asrock H61iCAFE

Samsung 2TB HDD

Samsung Optical Drive

PLUS a 79xx Series Graphics Card

750 W or 550W?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
With a E8400 at stock clock (3.0GhZ) what is the best video card I can buy without being CPU limited?
Buy a good GPU now and upgrade cpu/mobo later.
What games/resolution/price are you looking at. Nothing is really too cpu limited that more gpu is bad.
I disabled my integrated graphics and that didn't seem to help at all.
My computer just doesn't want to recognize my gpu I guess :/
The computer boots and the gpu fan is spinning, I'm lost about what to do.
Reinsert the card 5 times. Unplug and replug ALL computer power cables.
Different PCI-E slot. PCI-E slot fixed at 100Mhz.

Intel Core i5 2400

Asrock H61iCAFE

Samsung 2TB HDD

Samsung Optical Drive

750 W or 550W?
A good 550W should do fine.

LeleSocho

Banned
Buy a good GPU now and upgrade cpu/mobo later.
What games/resolution/price are you looking at. Nothing is really too cpu limited that more gpu is bad.

1680x1050
I don't want to buy a super high end gpu because by the time i'll buy a new mobo even the 7970 will be old

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How do I know which one is good? Is that one in the OP "Antec Basiq BP550Plus" a good one?
This on sale is the best at the price range. Note the power cables might be a tight fit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

The BP550 should work fine.
1680x1050
I don't want to buy a super high end gpu because by the time i'll buy a new mobo even the 7970 will be old
I'd say 560Ti/6950 then. Overclock your CPU to 3.6/3.8 as well if you can.
So I want to upgrade my CPU from my P X4 9600, possibly to something like a PII X4 955BE but keep my mobo. This is my mobo: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N68-AM_SE2.html

I see the 955 listed, but not the Black Edition ... is there much of a difference between those revisions that it might not work?
I think all 955's are BE? It lists support for 125W CPUs so you should be fine. Just update the BIOS before you swap.

Maaseru

Banned
So I got this great Xmas present. My Samsung 3D monitor turns on and goes black in 2 seconds everytime. I checked online and figured out that it must be some bad capacitors.

The questions is:

a)Is it a cheap repair? Is it worth it?

b)Better that I try to repair it myself ? Where would I get such components, specifically?

or

c)should I just go out and buy a new one?Cheap alternatives?

I was and am really in love with this 120hz monitor, it is great. Suggestions?

Dreweyes

So my computer is pretty much dead now, and I work from home so I need to order and build a comp as soon as possible.

Could anyone take a stab at helping me out real quick?
I'm having a hard time figuring out the OP's choices keeping in my price range, and getting parts that will work together.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Computer is dead, need a brand new everything basically!
Budget: $500-$700 USA
Main Use:Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, 3D work (Maya), Video Editing, SWTOR's Maximum Graphics (?)
Monitor Resolution: Anything above 800 x 600
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Emulation, SWTOR
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: Immediately
Will you be overclocking?: No

I'll make some sort of design/8-bit/avatar for whoever helps me out! :)
Please PM me.
Thanks!

Negaiido

Intel Core i5 2400

Asrock H61iCAFE

Samsung 2TB HDD

Samsung Optical Drive

750 W or 550W?

Just quoting myself for a bit but the motherboard Asrock H61iCAFE wouldn't be a problem for the 79xx series right? I don't really need a really expensive one but just an efficient one for my gaming needs. No need for any Overclocking :)

Just curious. Is there any advantage to having dual video cards?

For example....are 2x AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB better than one NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560? Benchmarks say the NVIDIA is better but it doesn't take into account dual cards.

Just curious. Is there any advantage to having dual video cards?

For example....are 2x AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB better than one NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560? Benchmarks say the NVIDIA is better but it doesn't take into account dual cards.

CF 6850s would run circles around any version of GTX 560, that is if the CF profile is actually good.

I'd rather not deal with CF/SLI to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom