• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Yeah, make sure to post pics. One thing I learned, the process didn't get any easier than the first time lol.
Try water cooling with an Aquaero and case modifications >_>

And then I look at n0n44m's build and realize there is always more difficult.

kennah

Nope it's x58 not p55/p67

Edit: lol the 930 is a great processor! Nehalem generation was a beast generation compared to those sissy power sipping ivy bridges! Those glory days of GTX480s and 135W CPUs!

It's funny seeing the confused looks on peoples faces when you try to explain that power use went DOWN not up.

scogoth

It's funny seeing the confused looks on peoples faces when you try to explain that power use went DOWN not up.

And that overclocking has gotten easier, simpler and requires far less cooling. I can't beleive its now "change one number for 4.5ghz".

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Try water cooling with an Aquaero and case modifications >_>

And then I look at n0n44m's build and realize there is always more difficult.

I looked at some water cooling videos...I don't think I'm touching that until way down the line lol.

Anton668

anything new and exciting coming down the line in the next few months far as graphics cards are concerned?

I ask cuz im looking to upgrade my 5770 prolly in February.

and not really looking to go all bleeding edge, but a nice competent card for the money would be nice.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone know what would be the cause of random blackouts? Like, the screen will go black, and stay that way until I reset the pc. Didn't have this problem before I transferred over the pc guts.

The only thing that has changed is, that I have 5 fans now, instead of 3. PSU is 650w.

thefil

Question:

A couple years ago I used to force Triple Buffering through some third-party application. I disabled it when I had an issue in a game (I now forget which).

I just built a new machine with a 660 Ti, and noticed the NVidia control panel can force triple buffering. Is it best practice to enable this in the Global settings? Or should I just leave everything default?

Whooter

PC GAF I'm ready to order the rest of my new rig. It'll be mostly gaming for day-to-day use, but I have a large collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays that I'm going to be ripping/encoding to a NAS I'm building (hence the i7 and 16GB RAM)

Here's what I have:

CPU: Intel i7 3770k $229.99
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G43 $94.99
RAM: SAMSUNG 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $79.98
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl $79.99
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 $299.99
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W $79.99
Optical: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM $59.99
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 $76.99

Already have an M4 128GB SSD previously purchased (but unused) for my OS and reusing my internal 2TB drive from my old computer for data.

The only thing I'm waffling on is between the Corsair WC or a Hyper 212+ air cooler. Cost really isn't an issue.

I'm just under $1000 before shipping and taxes. How'd I do?

Just keep the mantra of installing most, if not, all games on the D drive. I made my 1tb HDD my data drive and have program folder structures and a Steam/steamapps/common setup among a few other things. I also set Windows to recognize the Music/photo/video folders in my E drive as the default folders for those types of files. Even made a separate DL folder so all my browser DL's go into the E drive as well. I haven't seen much improvement while testing Spec Ops The Line with the SSD so I moved it to my E drive and got myself back up to 93GB.

The Samsung F3 is so good that ever since this new format and install on the drive, it's loading about as good as I ever recall. Borderlands 2 was loading in about 3 seconds and that was off the HDD.
Really? If that's the case I don't see the reason to put ANY game on the SSD. I'll just re-target some of the stuff to open in Windows 7 through TaskBars and Start Menu, and re-download other crap.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
And that overclocking has gotten easier, simpler and requires far less cooling. I can't beleive its now "change one number for 4.5ghz".

Are you referring to auto-OC? Because most motherboards still seem to require explicitly adjusting LLC and Vcore in order for a core multiple of 45 to be stable.

But yeah, really shows you how little Intel cares about the Desktop market right now. The default for desktop i5/i7s should be better heatsinks and turbo to 4.5 GHz.

GHG

These are very interesting results. Basically, if you have an AMD processor you are better off going all AMD and pairing one of their GPU's with it as well. Possibly something to do with driver optimization favoring their processors?

In other news, I've just ordered the 1st 2 components of what will be my new build:

750W Antec True Power New Modular PSU

and

128GB SanDisk, 2.5" SSD, SATA III (to be my OS and popular games drive)

I'll be ordering the rest over the next few days.

Excite!! :)

Now the question is... is it worth going for it and purchasing Windows 8 or am i better off sticking with W7?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PC GAF I'm ready to order the rest of my new rig. It'll be mostly gaming for day-to-day use, but I have a large collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays that I'm going to be ripping/encoding to a NAS I'm building (hence the i7 and 16GB RAM)

Here's what I have:

CPU: Intel i7 3770k $219.99
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G43 $94.99
RAM: SAMSUNG 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $79.98
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl $79.99
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 $299.99
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W $79.99
Optical: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM $59.99
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 $76.99

Already have an M4 128GB SSD previously purchased (but unused) for my OS and reusing my internal 2TB drive from my old computer for data.

The only thing I'm waffling on is between the Corsair WC or a Hyper 212+ air cooler. Cost really isn't an issue.

I'm just under $1000 before shipping and taxes. How'd I do?
You do know the i7 deal is in store only right?

Apart from that it looks pretty solid.
Can get cheaper RAM off Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd go air cooler and used the saved money to buy some nice fans.

kharma45

My brother's 7850 arrived today, cooler overhangs quite a bit but it's very quiet. Should be a nice upgrade from his 6670 (which he had paired with an AMD 3870 APU but not that many games really made that great a use of Crossfire).

WP_20121223_002.jpg

WP_20121223_004.jpg

Does seem to run a bit cooler than our other 7850 the MSI TF3 one. Testing out OCing it now.

Was excited, but then they left out the most important chips to compare imo (x4 Phenom II and a real 2100 @ 3.1Ghz (Not a low power 2.5Ghz).

Found the i3 strange, don't see why it couldn't have been a 2100 or a 3220 unless it's all they could get their hands on.

beje

Banned
Came just to say that you don't really appreciate a water cooled solution (even small self-contained stuff like the one I have) until you notice your PC is quieter than a Wii U with the disc spinning, which is in turn really quiet for the current console standards.

Alienups

A friend of mine is looking for a laptop, it's gonna be used mainly for browsing and some games like Skyrim, Asscreed etc. Budget is €600. Hoping you guys can give me some help with finding something.

Robso

Thinking about getting a desktop PC instead of a new laptop. A friend recommended a Intel G860 processor and a Asus GT 640 GPU with 4GB DDR3 1333 ram.

What could this run?

beje

Banned
Thinking about getting a desktop PC instead of a new laptop. A friend recommended a Intel G860 processor and a Asus GT 640 GPU with 4GB DDR3 1333 ram.

What could this run?

I understand you're in a tight budget so if you want it for gaming, get at the very VERY least an HD 7750, Nvidia 650 or ideally an HD 7770 so you can run modern games at 1080p with mid-high settings (but forget about AA or high AF settings). If you don't want it for gaming, go for an i3 (2100 or 3220) and stick with integrated graphics.

Camp Lo

Banned
Can I get some criticism on this proposed build?

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($22.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1685.37

The only things I'm not willing to part with are the mobo and memory, as those purchased already.

TheD

The Detective
Any real downsides to having an external HD vs a regular SATA HD?

Edit: oh and Western Digital WD10EZEX vs Western Digital WD10JPVT?

External hard drives often like to have AAM or APM enabled, that makes the drives spin down too often and it can be loud when they spin back up (which can take a few seconds).

Ocho

So, both of my sticks are showing errors in memtest. Computer only crashes when playing video games. Time to apply warranty?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can I get some criticism on this proposed build?

The only things I'm not willing to part with are the mobo and memory, as those purchased already.
Get a 3770K, a motherboard that is not $300 unless you need the features on it, Samsung 30nm DDR3, X750 or AX750 for PSU.

I'm thinking of doing a new build in the Spring with an i5 and GTX 660Ti, however I'm getting attracted to the Falcon Northwest Tiki. Anybody have any experience with Falcon-NW? The automotive paint job seems really interesting to me. Just trying to get opinions.

iavi

Is the Vapor-X version of the Sapphire HD 7950 worth the extra 30 bucks?

I actually was going to go with the vapor X since its cooler is supposed to allow for awesome 24/7, 30%+ OCs. Decided against it in the end. Went with the sapphire 3gb 7850 for 279 after rebate. It still OCs like a beast, supposedly.

Robso

I understand you're in a tight budget so if you want it for gaming, get at the very VERY least an HD 7750, Nvidia 650 or ideally an HD 7770 so you can run modern games at 1080p with mid-high settings (but forget about AA or high AF settings). If you don't want it for gaming, go for an i3 (2100 or 3220) and stick with integrated graphics.

Thanks for the response, and you kharma45.

I want to playing games on it. I guess I would like the option of playing nowadays games (although I mainly use consoles for that).

So is the processor fine for games out now? Along with getting a better GPU.

Redx508

where do you guys sell your old parts? I have a few parts i want to sell
a Core i7 920, Msi x58 eclipse motherboard,6gb of ram,Msi GTX 460 1GB Cyclone

Alienups

A friend of mine is looking for a laptop, it's gonna be used mainly for browsing and some games like Skyrim, Asscreed etc. Budget is €600. Hoping you guys can give me some help with finding something.

Anyone ? I'm really at a loss when it comes to laptops

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for the response, and you kharma45.

I want to playing games on it. I guess I would like the option of playing nowadays games (although I mainly use consoles for that).

So is the processor fine for games out now? Along with getting a better GPU.
G860 and the best GPU you can buy for your money. 7850 if you can stretch it.
where do you guys sell your old parts? I have a few parts i want to sell
a Core i7 920, Msi x58 eclipse motherboard,6gb of ram,Msi GTX 460 1GB Cyclone
Anandtech, [H], GAF

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on this sine I've been out of the pc building stuff for quite a while so I'm not sure what to pick, especially for the motherboard.

BACKGROUND:

Basically my wifes PC is done, and she needs a new one. She had her eye on a laptop not because she needs it, but just because it looked nice. So I started pricing them out and it seems any laptop thats not total crap is going to run me $650+ even with boxing day sales. So since she has no need for a laptop I figured, forget this... I'll upgrade my PC and she can have my old one which is still much better than what she has now. So my price range goal is $500-$700 (otherwise, I may as well just buy the laptop). So, with that caveat I've listed the entire system (including parts I already own so I am not buying) in the below link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tUAh

So for example I am not buying a new case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, DVD-RW, or Win7. I am buying a new CPU, board, RAM and power supply at minimum. If I can get it, I'll take a new HD to since mine is cramped (320GB).

But specifically what I am looking for is advice on A) If the configuraiton will be decent for running PC games and B) What kind of motherboard should I be looking at, mostly concerned about brand and relibility.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965/ 8GB DDR2 / Asus M4A85-M/ Nvidia 560Ti/ Antec 550W

Budget: $500-$700, Canada

Main Use: Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (3), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)(4).

Monitor Resolution:
What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1920x1200
Are you going to upgrade later? No
Are you buying a new monitor? No

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: I play everything, but "fortunatly" I rarely play new PC games due to massive steam backlog. This means by the time I'm getting around to playing them, my video card is still quite good for them. Only new game I am into right now is Planetside2. The other game I am activly playing right now is Torchlight II which already runs well. After that maybe Risen or maybe Neverwinter Nights 2 (to give you an idea of the age of the games I play so the 560Ti is quite good for these. I play mainly RPG's, only the occasional FPS). I also play a lot of Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (faforever!) which is quite a CPU hog so at least I should get a boost there.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Primarly my 560Ti will be re-used plus other less critical stuff (case, dvd-rw, etc).Also I'll be keeping my current HSF (cooler master hyper 212 evo) I'll be getting a new power supply though.

When will you build?: Looking to do it this week while I am off on vacation. I already waited until boxing day for sales, so no need to wait longer ;)

Will you be overclocking?: No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom