• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuf

Your Current Specs: don't have a pc
Budget: €1200, Belgium
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Plex Media center
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not upgrading, will be used with my TV
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Just the regular stuff at 1080p and a steady framerate (30fps, 60fps would be nice)
Looking to reuse any parts?: can't reuse anything since this is my first build in 10+ years.
When will you build?: soon-ish (next couple of weeks)
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

this is the build I put together myself

Would love some suggestions to improve performance of cut the price down. Am I missing anything?

kharma45

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on this sine I've been out of the pc building stuff for quite a while so I'm not sure what to pick, especially for the motherboard.

BACKGROUND:

Basically my wifes PC is done, and she needs a new one. She had her eye on a laptop not because she needs it, but just because it looked nice. So I started pricing them out and it seems any laptop thats not total crap is going to run me $650+ even with boxing day sales. So since she has no need for a laptop I figured, forget this... I'll upgrade my PC and she can have my old one which is still much better than what she has now. So my price range goal is $500-$700 (otherwise, I may as well just buy the laptop). So, with that caveat I've listed the entire system (including parts I already own so I am not buying) in the below link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tUAh

So for example I am not buying a new case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, DVD-RW, or Win7. I am buying a new CPU, board, RAM and power supply at minimum. If I can get it, I'll take a new HD to since mine is cramped (320GB).

But specifically what I am looking for is advice on A) If the configuraiton will be decent for running PC games and B) What kind of motherboard should I be looking at, mostly concerned about brand and relibility.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965/ 8GB DDR2 / Asus M4A85-M/ Nvidia 560Ti/ Antec 550W

Budget: $500-$700, Canada

Main Use: Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (3), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)(4).

Monitor Resolution:
What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1920x1200
Are you going to upgrade later? No
Are you buying a new monitor? No

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: I play everything, but "fortunatly" I rarely play new PC games due to massive steam backlog. This means by the time I'm getting around to playing them, my video card is still quite good for them. Only new game I am into right now is Planetside2. The other game I am activly playing right now is Torchlight II which already runs well. After that maybe Risen or maybe Neverwinter Nights 2 (to give you an idea of the age of the games I play so the 560Ti is quite good for these. I play mainly RPG's, only the occasional FPS). I also play a lot of Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (faforever!) which is quite a CPU hog so at least I should get a boost there.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Primarly my 560Ti will be re-used plus other less critical stuff (case, dvd-rw, etc).Also I'll be keeping my current HSF (cooler master hyper 212 evo) I'll be getting a new power supply though.

When will you build?: Looking to do it this week while I am off on vacation. I already waited until boxing day for sales, so no need to wait longer ;)

Will you be overclocking?: No

We'll see about that :p

Basically I'd change your RAM to this stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096 Also just stick to 8GB unless you're doing intensive media work, for gaming and general use 8GB is still more than plenty.

Power supply drop it to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 It'll be good to power your 560Ti (or any future single GPU) and 3570K.

Motherboard and HDD wise, just go by the OP really.

kharma45

Your Current Specs: don't have a pc
Budget: €1200, Belgium
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Plex Media center
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not upgrading, will be used with my TV
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Just the regular stuff at 1080p and a steady framerate (30fps, 60fps would be nice)
Looking to reuse any parts?: can't reuse anything since this is my first build in 10+ years.
When will you build?: soon-ish (next couple of weeks)
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

this is the build I put together myself

Would love some suggestions to improve performance of cut the price down. Am I missing anything?

I'd change your GPU to a 7870 (generally faster than the 660, has a wider memory bus and should give better results when overclocked too), although a 7850 would save money and still be plenty powerful for most games, and they generally OC well.

It'd also be worth checking out about the AMD free game promotion too, I don't see it listed on the site but at worst you should be getting Far Cry 3 for free.

Change your power supply to this http://www.alternate.be/html/product/XFX/PRO550W_Core_Edition/838244/? That will save €20.

Change your RAM to this stuff too http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Corsair/8_GB_DDR3-1600_Kit/885866/? I don't see the 30nm Samsung RAM on that site, so that Corsair stuff would be my next pick.

I have a couple questions if someone would be able to help answer them. My son currently has a Toshiba Satellite A660 with a NVIDIA GeForce 310M and I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the card?

If it is possible, does someone know what I can upgrade his card too?

Thanks.

Fyi, I did search online but I didn't find an answer.

kharma45

I have a couple questions if someone would be able to help answer them. My son currently has a Toshiba Satellite A660 with a NVIDIA GeForce 310M and I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the card?

Thanks.

Short answer is not really, with a laptop you're generally stuck with what you've got.

We'll see about that :p

Basically I'd change your RAM to this stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096 Also just stick to 8GB unless you're doing intensive media work, for gaming and general use 8GB is still more than plenty.

Power supply drop it to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 It'll be good to power your 560Ti (or any future single GPU) and 3570K.

Motherboard and HDD wise, just go by the OP really.

Great, thanks! 550W is enough though? Power Supply was one of my major concerns, for the graphics card. I know it will power my 560Ti okay (since I have a 550W now) but I was thinking about a new card 1-2 years from now. Basically I buy "last years hot model" when it hits around the $150-$200 mark down the road. But if 550W is going to be enough for the foreseable near future, maybe I'm better off keeping my current Antec 550W and getting a cheapie for my wifes PC... shes all about email/facebook and would never play a game in her life.

kharma45

Great, thanks! 550W is enough though? Power Supply was one of my major concerns, for the graphics card. I know it will power my 560Ti okay (since I have a 550W now) but I was thinking about a new card 1-2 years from now. Basically I buy "last years hot model" when it hits around the $150-$200 mark down the road. But if 550W is going to be enough for the foreseable near future, maybe I'm better off keeping my current Antec 550W and getting a cheapie for my wifes PC... shes all about email/facebook and would never play a game in her life.

Power consumption is only going down at the minute, I can't foresee the need for a bigger PSU unless you're going for a multi-GPU set-up.

What Antec is it you have again? Is it the BP550 Plus by any chance?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Looking at video cards for my new rig, and I was wondering what are the more popular silent cooling fan systems. My ATI on my current build was made by sapphire and had one of their cooling systems on it and it was great.

kharma45

Looking at video cards for my new rig, and I was wondering what are the more popular silent cooling fan systems. My ATI on my current build was made by sapphire and had one of their cooling systems on it and it was great.

The Gigabyte Windforce cooler is pretty good for low noise levels.

MSI's Twin Frozr coolers and the ASUS DCUII are also good too for low noise.

Few charts here if you're interested

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_660_windforce_oc_review,9.html

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone know if I can use a Gt520 (lol) as my physics card? I have a GTX670 as reference.
Don't bother. 670 can brute force it and I don't like having two cards in my system. Lowest worthwhile card is a 450 iirc.

Thanks.

Most lower end laptop GPUs are not interchangeable, some of the higher end ones have a special PCI-E slot, but often can cost $300-$500 for a new GPU.

So for you, probably not.

I was looking into the GTX 670, but did more research and found that I want to spend a bit less.

I'm about to purchase this Radeon 7950 It comes with Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dawgz, and Hitman, games I actually want to check out.

I wish I didn't look like I was sticking an ugly batmobile inside my PC but I don't show off my internals anyways. Anyone who knows if this is a good card or if there are better options?

I was gonna get the 660ti, which I hear doesn't have as much mileage as the 7950 would, I would have gotten the MSI overclocked edition, but I hear they tuned it down since it was frying some boards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was looking into the GTX 670, but did more research and found that I want to spend a bit less.

I'm about to purchase this Radeon 7950 It comes with Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dawgz, and Hitman, games I actually want to check out.

I wish I didn't look like I was sticking an ugly batmobile inside my PC but I don't show off my internals anyways. Anyone who knows if this is a good card or if there are better options?

I was gonna get the 660ti, which I hear doesn't have as much mileage as the 7950 would, I would have gotten the MSI overclocked edition, but I hear they tuned it down since it was frying some boards.
Solid card, you can also see if you like the look of the Gigabyte 7950 better.

Solid card, you can also see if you like the look of the Gigabyte 7950 better.

Super cool, looking at the Gigabyte now too, it says it has a core clock of 900mhz

The Sapphire has 850/950(Boost State) MHz

Is that boost state worth anything meaningful? I could spend $30 less and get the 7950 without boost, I just want to not regret getting it if it's better

kharma45

Boost means little as you should really overclock them yourself, all can easily break 1GHz on stock volts unless you're really unlucky.

the Gigabyte though may be voltage locked iirc, something to look into if you want to get a really good OC from your card.

Decado

Hey, turns out my config can't decode compressed audio files to get DD5.1 or DTS. So games and video files are only 2.1 (blu-rays are 5.1, though).

I'd like to get a sound card so all my games and video cards that have 5.1 play in 5.1. What's the best value card that will fit into a BitFenix Prodigy case. Since I had it built for me, hopefully it won't be hard to include a sound card...a little worried since it doesn't seem to have space for one (from the outside).

BTW, is there such a thing as a good external decoder I could use?

Xdrive05

Looking for a new monitor, preferably 21.5" or 23", for around $150. Don't know much about monitors though, looking for recommendations.

What I need:
1080p
Good for gaming (low input lag)
Accepts HDMI
Scales lower resolutions well (so I can run some games in 720p without too much jag/fuzz)
Good viewing angle / quality / colors

Not necessary, but would be nice:
If total width is less than 20.5" (to fit the narrow recess in my desk so I can scoot it back)

Anything like this exist? Thanks for your opinions. :)

P.S. I have done research, but I know very little going into this, hence this plea for help from you fine experts.

PC-GAF, help me decide on something before all the stores near here close for the holidays in one hour.

Building a brand new CD from scratch...Windows 7 vs. 8! WHICH DO I GO WITH?

Are the known compatibility issues with Windows 8 that big of a deal when it comes to gaming?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looking for a new monitor, preferably 21.5" or 23", for around $150. Don't know much about monitors though, looking for recommendations.

What I need:
1080p
Good for gaming (low input lag)
Accepts HDMI
Scales lower resolutions well (so I can run some games in 720p without too much jag/fuzz)
Good viewing angle / quality / colors

Not necessary, but would be nice:
If total width is less than 20.5" (to fit the narrow recess in my desk so I can scoot it back)

Anything like this exist? Thanks for your opinions. :)

P.S. I have done research, but I know very little going into this, hence this plea for help from you fine experts.
One that scales well will be harder. Can't really help you out there. I look at monitors only when I'm buying.
PC-GAF, help me decide on something before all the stores near here close for the holidays in one hour.

Are the known compatibility issues with Windows 8 that big of a deal when it comes to gaming?
7. I'm grumpy and hate change. You can always upgrade later if you want anyway.

kharma45

Whichever is cheaper really, W8 is slightly faster but a lot of people have a total aversion to Microsoft's Modern UI despite the fact you never really have to deal with it if you don't want to.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Whichever is cheaper really, W8 is slightly faster but a lot of people have a total aversion to Microsoft's Modern UI despite the fact you never really have to deal with it if you don't want to.
It does have some game compatibility issues as well (Can't remember off top of my head), and with so many games today being extended Betas it sure would be less frustrating. Not much to gain from W8 although the new Task Manager is real nice.

iavi

7's no cheaper than 8, from what I'm seeing. I see no reason to move backwards.

One that scales well will be harder. Can't really help you out there. I look at monitors only when I'm buying.

7. I'm grumpy and hate change. You can always upgrade later if you want anyway.

Is it really just the UI that you and other Windows 8 detractors dislike, though, Hazaro? I remember hearing about noteworthy compatibility issues with some games and controllers.

See, if I go with Windows 8, I can rush out and buy it from a local Tigerdirect or Best Buy for sub-$100 right now. If I go with Windows 7, I'm going to have to order it from Amazon or Tigerdirect's website and receive it on the 27th at earliest. Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium seems to be completely out of stock at all the local retailers in Miami.

I honestly don't mind waiting on Windows 7 and building my PC two days later than when I planned on if the reasons against buying Windows 8 are significant enough, though.

kharma45

Is it really just the UI that you and other Windows 8 detractors dislike, though, Hazaro? I remember hearing about noteworthy compatibility issues with some games and controllers.

See, if I go with Windows 8, I can rush out and buy it from a local Tigerdirect or Best Buy for sub-$100 right now. If I go with Windows 7, I'm going to have to order it from Amazon or Tigerdirect's website and receive it on the 27th at earliest. Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium seems to be completely out of stock at all the local retailers in Miami.

I honestly don't mind waiting on Windows 7 and building my PC two days later than when I planned on if the reasons against buying Windows 8 are significant enough, though.

Oh no I've no problem with the Modern UI, I'm quite a fan of it actually.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As mentioned before I don't even like the remote idea of something not working with Win 8 because I install a lot of indie/beta/japanese stuff. I know some games have had issues with Win 8 and the upgrade reason is not there for me.

But, that's the user I am.

I have win 8 and save for those issues like the controller thing with some games its been pretty solid so far but i don't think there is enough reason to get it over 7 currently.

As for the new interface i hardly use it (just check my email) and i usually just go to the desktop.

Echoplx

Between the 7950 and 670 what's the better choice? I assume the 7950 would perform better at 2560x1440? The 100$ lower price is nice too..

What's the driver situation like at AMD now? I never had a lot of issues with my 5850 a while back but haven't really been paying much attention lately.

LowParry

So after trying out Planetside 2, I love the game. Sad thing is, everything has to be on low just to enjoy what I can and pick and choose small battles. Large scale? Damn. So 2013 is looking like the time to upgrade/build new my PC.

What I currently have:

Your Current Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4
CPU: Phantom X4 940 BE 3.0
RAM: DDR2 (1066 MHz) 8 GIG
GPU: Radeon HD 5850 1 GIG
PSU: TX650W Corsair

Standard SATA HDD etc.

So my idea is to start off either on a slow upgrade or just do it all at once. Maybe start with the Mobo, CPU, RAM and invest in a SDD. I'm not too sure if I did go all out (take the current case I got and just build everything inside new). If I needed to get a bigger PSU for power or I'm okay with what I got. I don't plan on going SLI though having the option later on if I do so would be nice. And I think I want to go full on Intel this time instead of ATI. Does it matter which way I buy? Is one way cheaper than the other?

It would pretty much be a 80/20 gaming PC while I co do small things on the side such a homework research or browse the web, etc. What say you GAF? Sidenote: I probably won't start looking into parts till Feb/Mar when tax returns come in. But I'd just like to see what's out there now and possibly in the next few months I should keep an eye on things.

kharma45

Between the 7950 and 670 what's the better choice? I assume the 7950 would perform better at 2560x1440? The 100$ lower price is nice too..

What's the driver situation like at AMD now? I never had a lot of issues with my 5850 a while back but haven't really been paying much attention lately.

670 is the faster card but 7950 has a real good sweet spot for the price and what it can do, and don't forget too it OCs very well, most go beyond stock 7970 speeds

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/645?vs=598

Driver wise AMD is continuing to improve and there are few issues now despite what some may say.

Don't forget too with the 79xx series you get free games too in Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs.

You'll not go far wrong with either but I'd tend to side towards the 7950. Plus you could use the money saved to maybe stick in an SSD if you don't already have one.

So after trying out Planetside 2, I love the game. Sad thing is, everything has to be on low just to enjoy what I can and pick and choose small battles. Large scale? Damn. So 2013 is looking like the time to upgrade/build new my PC.

What I currently have:

Your Current Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790X-UD4
CPU: Phantom X4 940 BE 3.0
RAM: DDR2 (1066 MHz) 8 GIG
GPU: Radeon HD 5850 1 GIG
PSU: TX650W Corsair

Standard SATA HDD etc.

So my idea is to start off either on a slow upgrade or just do it all at once. Maybe start with the Mobo, CPU, RAM and invest in a SDD. I'm not too sure if I did go all out (take the current case I got and just build everything inside new). If I needed to get a bigger PSU for power or I'm okay with what I got. I don't plan on going SLI though having the option later on if I do so would be nice. And I think I want to go full on Intel this time instead of ATI. Does it matter which way I buy? Is one way cheaper than the other?

It would pretty much be a 80/20 gaming PC while I co do small things on the side such a homework research or browse the web, etc. What say you GAF? Sidenote: I probably won't start looking into parts till Feb/Mar when tax returns come in. But I'd just like to see what's out there now and possibly in the next few months I should keep an eye on things.

You could probably carry your PSU over easily enough as long as it's still in good shape, you'll not need any more than 650w as long as you stick to a single card which is what I'd advise really.

If you're not looking until Feb-March there likely be new AMD GPUs out and hopefully Haswell from Intel for CPUs but Haswell could well be delayed back to late Q2.

At present the best set-up imo is an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU, but that could change by the time you come to look if prices go up or down in various areas.

Echoplx

670 is the faster card but 7950 has a real good sweet spot for the price and what it can do, and don't forget too it OCs very well, most go beyond stock 7970 speeds

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/645?vs=598

Driver wise AMD is continuing to improve and there are few issues now despite what some may say.

Don't forget too with the 79xx series you get free games too in Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs.

You'll not go far wrong with either but I'd tend to side towards the 7950. Plus you could use the money saved to maybe stick in an SSD if you don't already have one.

I'm currently on a GTX470 with stock cooler, so I want to get away from it asap :p I have the money right now, mainly from xmas so I'd only hold out if there's going to be some huge leap in performance or technology.. Is there any info out right now?

I don't think that free game promo is available here in Australia :(

What's the best brand/model of the 7950 to get?

SkyscraperFan

Neo Member
Hey guys, when I recently built my pc, I used my friends power supply to test it out since that was the only part that hadnt arrived yet. Everything worked fine during the setup of the os and driver install. He let me borrow it until mine arrives and I just connected all the cords and tried to boot. after the windows startup screen, the computer shut off and restarted with a message saying that it detected unsafe power surges and some built in Asus program kicked in and shut it down. As far as I know, nothing's changed since I built the computer.

Anyone have suggestions?

kharma45

I'm currently on a GTX470 with stock cooler, so I want to get away from it asap :p I have the money right now, mainly from xmas so I'd only hold out if there's going to be some huge leap in performance or technology.. Is there any info out right now?

I don't think that free game promo is available here in Australia :(

What's the best brand/model of the 7950 to get?

Sapphire, ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte would be the ones to look at.

imo go for the one who offers the best warranty/RMA service in Aus, they're all good cards.

If it were my preference I'd go Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS then Sapphire.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I decided to add a second 670 card, would I need to upgrade my PSU? Currently I'm using a 550w PSU.

Yes, I'd go with an 850w but many run around 650-750 min PSU's for SLI setups and get by. I am doing that particular upgrade early next year in prep for a 7990 (maybe:p).

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalizing my build for a purchase in the next few days. First off, I am trying to buy everything from microcenter… except may be Windows and my graphics card. Thus some of those parts are being selected with that mind. Also, this build of the PC is supposed the end all version of this computer. I don’t expect to do much of a upgrade besides a new GPU. I don’t want to have to rebuy something later because I didn’t plan properly now (thus the 16 GB of RAM, instead of 8 plus it is on sale at Microcenter for cheap). I plan on moving this from my TV to a desk configuration depending on the situation.

Planned Build -
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master GeminII S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory - Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage - Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – To Be Determined
Case - BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply -Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

That being said I have a few questions.
1. Is the build fundamentally sound?
2. Is it truly worth it to go with the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe over the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI. There is a good $70 difference.
3. Lastly, I am going back in forth on the video card. Given the issues with the ATI cards with the draw latency, I have decided to not go with them. That said, I am still trying to determine if I should go with the ASUS DirectCU II OC 660TI or the Gigabyte WindowForce 3x 670. I understand is there may be a 20% difference between the two, yet there is $100 difference. If I go with the 670, am I just throwing money at the problem of future proofing that can only be solved by buying a new card in a few years?
4. Also, if I go with the 670, what PSU wattage do I need? Does 600 watts work?
5. The case comes with two 120mm fans. I take it a need 1 more? If so, what do you suggest? I have seen a lot of names thrown around in the thread. Any guidelines to go by?

Thanks and happy holidays.

-Charpy Impact

Built my first HTPC today, and my first comp I built in 6 years! Very happy with it. Haven't put it through its paces gaming wise, but I like it a lot! Well worth the 330ish I spent.

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalizing my build for a purchase in the next few days. First off, I am trying to buy everything from microcenter… except may be Windows and my graphics card. Thus some of those parts are being selected with that mind. Also, this build of the PC is supposed the end all version of this computer. I don’t expect to do much of a upgrade besides a new GPU. I don’t want to have to rebuy something later because I didn’t plan properly now (thus the 16 GB of RAM, instead of 8 plus it is on sale at Microcenter for cheap). I plan on moving this from my TV to a desk configuration depending on the situation.

Planned Build -

2. Is it truly worth it to go with the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe over the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI. There is a good $70 difference.
3. Lastly, I am going back in forth on the video card. Given the issues with the ATI cards with the draw latency, I have decided to not go with them. That said, I am still trying to determine if I should go with the ASUS DirectCU II OC 660TI or the Gigabyte WindowForce 3x 670. I understand is there may be a 20% difference between the two, yet there is $100 difference. If I go with the 670, am I just throwing money at the problem of future proofing that can only be solved by buying a new card in a few years?
5. The case comes with two 120mm fans. I take it a need 1 more? If so, what do you suggest? I have seen a lot of names thrown around in the thread. Any guidelines to go by?

-Charpy Impact

First, Merry Christmas everybody.

I bought this board on the recommendation a friend, but if I were building today I'd go for something cheaper. I have never used the wi-fi and the bluetooth antenna isn't great.

I have the Gigabyte 670 and a 650W PSU with plenty of overhead.

Whooter

Merry Christmas everyone!

Fan question: Are the case fans in the Define R4 sufficiently quiet? Should I replace them? If so, with what? If not, what fans should I add to the case to help with cooling?

Thanks in advance!

Anth0ny

Merry Christmas everyone!

Quick question, with boxing day sales starting... which is the better deal?

GTX 660 for $180

OR

HD 7870 for $200?

I understand it's a small price gap, but if the GTX 660 is on par/stronger I'd rather save the $20. But if that 7870 is stronger I'm there!

Thanks!

sixghost

Maybe this isn't a question for this thread, sorry if it isn't.

The last two shooters that I've played on my PC have had huge problems with the mouse sensitivity. In both Spec Ops and Syndicate even the lowest mouse sensitivity settings were way too high. It never seems to be a problem in PC specific games like Planetside 2 or TF2. Is it because they are console ports? Could I adjust something in my mouse's settings to fix this? It's a Razer Diamondback 3G.

My mouse sensitivity on windows is only 3 from the left with mouse accel on.

kharma45

Hi All,

Planned Build -

-Charpy Impact

1. It's not bad but I'd make a few changes.

I'd change your CPU cooler to this (will be plenty good and saves money) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Your SSD to a Samsung 830 if they have it, if not the M4 is still a great drive.

Your power supply I'd change to this as those Corsair ones aren't all that great - Antec BP550 Plus 550W

2. Not too sure, mkenyon will be able to better advise as I'm not too clued up on ITX boards.

3. That's fair enough, but in that case I'd go for a 670 as I can't recommend the 660Ti when the 7950 exists.

4. The PSU I've recommended will be able for a 670, or any single GPU for that matter.

On another note I'd still say get 8GB of RAM if it's just general use and gaming, it's not a hard thing to upgrade down the line as you just plug in two more 8GB sticks but it's your build at the end of the day. This stuff here is fantastic RAM and would be my choice http://www.microcenter.com/product/...nel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_Two_4GB_Memory_Modules

7870 is the better pick for $20 more!

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom