• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdrive05

I don't think it's your CPU. I got basically the same performance when I upgraded my Phenom II to a 3570K. It's totally GPU bound, and that game devours GPUs... especially with DX11 and PhysX cranked.

scogoth

I'm supprised not more people go with the PCI-E based SSD solutions. Why let SATA limit you?

SATA to PCI to PCIe bridge + RAID + extra SSD controllers to get that performance + no benefit whatsoever to any normal workload = $$$ for nothing.

Honestly PCIe SSDs are great for high queue depths and high IOPs not for copying files or loading games.

This looks nice, what case is it?

I don't think I'll build it myself this time though, it's a nice experience to have once, then it's just work.

Bitfenix Colossus. Great case, 200mm fans are kind of loud for large fans. Customer service side i will never buy another Bitfenix. First the case shipped with one of the fams with green LEDs instead of blue and then the front case LED for the logo burnt out. They said they would replace both and after about 50 emails over 4 months I gave up and fixed them myself.

Salsa

what's funny is that there was almost no coil whine audible during Arkham City and that seems to be devouring my card a lot more than BF3 for example (where I get a loud-ass whine)

hard to pin down what causes it. Bright colors seem to have something to do with it

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I recall our lord mkenyon saying even his rigs couldn't brute force bat man to 120fps.
Don't mess with the bat.

been benchmarking this card (and still suffering with the whine in the process), just wanna know if this is to be expected:

in Arkham City, with everything on max, including:

"Extreme" level of detail, MVVS, HBAO, DX11 tesselation on High, 8XMSAA, Physx on High

I get as low as 30fps in crowded or rather particle heavy areas. And some random-ass drops to 3fps (this could be just the game being silly) that happen once or twice.

this to be expected? keep in mind that im at 1360x768 on a single GTX670 + i5 2500k @ stock

is the CPU @ 3.3 bottlenecking the whole thing or is it just impossible to get steady 60 in this game with DX11 + high physx on a single card?

same with Max Payne 3 on max settings (no physx there), though I get something around 45fps on that one

GTX 670 + 3570K (both OC'd) here and I don't get drops to anything near 30fps at 1080p. Mind you I'm on 4x MSAA as I'm running it on a TV that sits a good 10 feet away.

EDIT: Just chedk, I have PhysX on normal, and it runs at a steady 60fps at 1080p.

EricM85

So I'm considering buying a SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System and throwing in an Intel i3-3225. Really just want to use it as an HTPC for the most part. I intend just to make use of the Intel HD4000.

Seems like this build should be perfect for an HTPC, and should be fairly quiet and low power. I like the fact that I can fit a Blu-Ray drive and two harddrives in this case, which is really my main reason for picking the Shuttle. That said, I'm sure there are better deals out there if I buy a case/Mini-ITX/PSU separately. Would anyone have any recommendations over the Shuttle? Really not looking to spend much more than the Shuttle price ($239.99) for a case/MB/PSU.

Thraktor

So I'm considering buying a SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System and throwing in an Intel i3-3225. Really just want to use it as an HTPC for the most part. I intend just to make use of the Intel HD4000.

Seems like this build should be perfect for an HTPC, and should be fairly quiet and low power. I like the fact that I can fit a Blu-Ray drive and two harddrives in this case, which is really my main reason for picking the Shuttle. That said, I'm sure there are better deals out there if I buy a case/Mini-ITX/PSU separately. Would anyone have any recommendations over the Shuttle? Really not looking to spend much more than the Shuttle price ($239.99) for a case/MB/PSU.

Considering you want to make use of integrated graphics, have you considered going with one of AMD's APUs instead of the i3? Their new ones handily outperform the HD4000 in games for about the same price as the i3, and although they don't perform as well in general CPU tasks, they should be plenty capable for a HTPC.

Alienups

OP was helpful in putting together my new desktop since i stopped following hardware years ago, cheers.

ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 2GB GDDR5, CLOCK RATE 1084MHZ, MEMORY CLOCK 6008MHZ

SAMSUNG 128GB 2.5 INCH 830 SERIES BASIC MZ-7PC128B

INTEL CORE I5 3570K 22NM 4 CORES 4 THREADS 3.4 ~ 3.8GHZ 6MB LGA 1155 BOXED

ANTEC 620W HIGH CURRENT GAMER HCG-620

CORSAIR 16GB (4X4GB) 1600MHZ CML16GX3M4A1600C9 ZWART

MICROSOFT 64 NL WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT OEM

ASUS P8Z77-V DDR3 SOCKET 1155 INTEL® Z77

ANTEC ELEVEN HUNDRED

hope it gets here soon

DTKT

God dammit, I can't decide between a Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire with Brown or Blue switches.

I'll be mostly using it for gaming. Any tips?

mkenyon

Banned
God dammit, I can't decide between a Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire with Brown or Blue switches.

I'll be mostly using it for gaming. Any tips?
Brown. Blues are *really* loud. Browns have a similar tactile experience, but without the really loud CLICK.

EricM85

Considering you want to make use of integrated graphics, have you considered going with one of AMD's APUs instead of the i3? Their new ones handily outperform the HD4000 in games for about the same price as the i3, and although they don't perform as well in general CPU tasks, they should be plenty capable for a HTPC.

I did look into those a bit. The biggest reason I'm not leaning toward AMD is because of the power requirements. I intend to throw two HDs into this system and use it as a media server, so I'd rather have Intel's 55W vs the ~100W for the AMD.

mkenyon

Banned
I did look into those a bit. The biggest reason I'm not leaning toward AMD is because of the power requirements. I intend to throw two HDs into this system and use it as a media server, so I'd rather have Intel's 55W vs the ~100W for the AMD.
TDP =/= Power Draw. 100W is assuming that both the CPU and GPU are at 100% load. That never happens.

sk3tch

Anecdotal! Where is this 95% number coming from? Playing this game allows such logic as:

I never have CPU related blue screens when not doing suicide runs. Therefore, Prime 95 on Small FFT is 100% reliable for stability testing.

It's purely from my ass. Just stating that you can get 95% stability from Prime95 as an example number. You will never be 100% confident in your stability because you can load up Intel XTU and cause your OC to fail that previously passed Prime95 all day. However, I can create an OC that passes in Intel XTU and it will then pass Prime95 all day.

It doesn't matter: you can choose what you deem to be reliable. Me, personally, I will use what Intel themselves puts out there for stress testing. Prime95 has never been enough for me. 20C cooler is exactly why. Extreme is exactly why. If Prime95 is so great for stability, why doesn't Intel use it in their Extreme Tuning Utility? Not sure what else needs to be said.

P.S. I love you.

Fantomex

Motherfucker, sounds like one of my terabyte HDD's going bad, dat clicking sound.

I hate those clicks! We used to have Maxtor drives at work on our macs. I saw so many of them go bad. Sorry for your loss.

pour-one-out.jpg

EricM85

TDP =/= Power Draw. 100W is assuming that both the CPU and GPU are at 100% load. That never happens.

So are these both pretty much even power-wise when idle? The AMDs are a lot cheaper, but I haven't really looked into them too much. If I could get a better system at a cheaper price I'd be all for it. What say you GAF i3 VS AMD?

cametall

what's funny is that there was almost no coil whine audible during Arkham City and that seems to be devouring my card a lot more than BF3 for example (where I get a loud-ass whine)

hard to pin down what causes it. Bright colors seem to have something to do with it

How long have you had the card?

If you just got it then use it for a couple weeks and see if the coil whine subsides at all. The coil whine of my card has gotten better since I first got it about a month ago.

GorillaJu

Can't decide what I want to do for a second storage drive. Right now I've got a single 128gb SSD doing everything and since its only a gaming computer I thought that'd be enough, but I really underestimated how much space modern games take up.

Think I'm gonna buy a second drive but I don't want to go SSD – poor size:price ratio.

Noise is important. Anyone have recs on what kind of HDD I should be looking for, for a second drive? Almost entirely for storing game Steam files.

hypernima

Banned
So I went to Microcenter to pick up a 3820 for 70 bucks off its current price. And picked up a Hyper 212+ Evo also now all I need is a good PSU that can support a 660ti (which might be SLI'd in the future) and a Caviar Blue/Black which are still priced high. Would the Student upgrade version of Win7 work?

Salsa

How long have you had the card?

If you just got it then use it for a couple weeks and see if the coil whine subsides at all. The coil whine of my card has gotten better since I first got it about a month ago.

Mh, guess I could do that. Been pushing it like crazy these last couple days and no signs of it getting better. You sure you didn't just grow used to it?, :p

Salacious Crumb

Mh, guess I could do that. Been pushing it like crazy these last couple days and no signs of it getting better. You sure you didn't just grow used to it?, :p

My Corsair AX750 PSU had terrible coil whine when I first installed it, a week or so later it was completely silent.

Finally got the angles and most importantly, a shot of just what size of a heatsink I can get inside the FT03 here. The picture shows the case with a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 (which is the cooling solution I replaced my Water2.0 Performer with after reading this and similar reviews). The fans on the NH-D14 are quite enough that'll leave at least the 140mm one on. The guy in the walkthrough said he had to take out his 120mm on the block because it wouldn't fit with his RAM chips. I'll try myself but If I run into the same issue, I won't loose sleep as there's another 120mm just above it. So he had to lose one of the case fans because the block is just so hulking but I planned to swap out all the case fins for some <10 dB aftermarkets. The fact I'll only have to replace 2 of the 3 now knocks a few bucks off my already depressing overall price for this project so I'm fine with it.

My parts should all arive before Wednesday. I hope they hurry because my processor is getting lonely.

P.S. Anyone care to weigh-in on why people prefer SSD drives over SSD cards even though the max throughput of the PCI-E bus is 3 times that of SATA3's? With the right features turned on on the SSD card, it does hit the 900MB/s read speeds with ease.

Hope I'm not posting in the wrong thread.
I recently bought a Sidewinder X5 mouse and I'm not liking It: lateral buttons are placed too far for my thumb and mouse is big all around but for 15€ I couldn't resist and replace my old standard model.

wwNSgm.jpg

Any suggestions for replacements? I'm not looking for expensive gaming focused mouses but something smaller with changeable DPI and macro buttons.

• Mouse Length - 5.07 inches (129 millimeters)
  • Mouse Width - 3.06 inches (77.7 millimeters)
  • Mouse Depth/Height 1.61 inches (40.9 millimeters)

What could I have done to kill my GPU?

I was cleaning my PC. After I was done I reassembled everything. I booted, but I get no signal though the fans are spinning. I know to keep touching some metal to discharge myself while cleaning. I don't have another PC to test it. I'll get my friend to test it tomorrow but it's gonna be at least 24 hours before I get any feedbakc.

i3-2100
AsRock H61M-VS
Sapphire 5850 Xtreme
2x4GB GSkill Sniper 1333

I'm just running on integrated right now.

Oh yeah. I'm comfortable with 98C. The TJunction is up there. Ha. It's a $300 CPU. Not too worried. BTW - Prime95 is junk for CPU stability. IntelBurnTest!

EDIT: man these i7 3820s are stealth! Super awesome CPUs. They're like having an i5 2500k all over again - up to 4.7 GHz at 1.40V and rockin'!
A little embarrassingly, I didn't even know this processor existed until seeing your posts. I'm in a dilemma now, perhaps you could help me out since I know you also have the 3960X.

I was planning to build with the 3930K since I run a lot of applications which utilize multiple cores. The problem is I keep hearing about the Ivy Bridge-Es that are not too far off and it makes me wonder if dropping £450 on a processor is worth it if I'll be getting that niggling feeling that something better is coming very soon. The 3820 is half the price of the 3930K and I wouldn't have to upgrade my motherboard since the Ivy-Es will be compatible, so should I just skip the 3930K and upgrade from 3820 to an Ivy-E once they hit?

Feels like sort of a no brainer right now but then I come across this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2PX...deID=340831031&store=computers#wasThisHelpful

I bought this CPU because it's nearly top-end fast, but considerably cheaper than the 39xx series. However, there is a gotcha:

LGA2011 X79 motherboards were mostly released in late 2011 for the 39xx chips and didn't support the (as-then) unreleased 3820. It was only supported in BIOS upgrades during Mar-Apr 2012. You have no way of knowing what BIOS is in your mobo until you assemble a system and attempt to power it up.

Which is where the great catch-22 arises: if the motherboard doesn't support the 3820, it won't POST. So you can't flash the BIOS to support the chip. At least, not without borrowing a £600 chip from somewhere else.

Despite being on the market for several months now, this still affects ASRock, MSI and Intel boards - and probably the others.

Which is discouraging because I want everything to go as smoothly as possible. Is this much of a problem at all? And if it's not a problem, is my plan of upgrading to Ivy extremes later on a good idea or are there any issues I haven't considered? I could even put the spare 3820 into a more casual build.

What could I have done to kill my GPU?

I was cleaning my PC. After I was done I reassembled everything. I booted, but I get no signal though the fans are spinning. I know to keep touching some metal to discharge myself while cleaning. I don't have another PC to test it. I'll get my friend to test it tomorrow but it's gonna be at least 24 hours before I get any feedbakc.

i3-2100
AsRock H61M-VS
Sapphire 5850 Xtreme
2x4GB GSkill Sniper 1333

I'm just running on integrated right now.

did you accidently unseat the card? knock the power cables loose? try a different slot (...different motherboard if one is available to you)?

did you accidently unseat the card? knock the power cables loose? try a different slot (...different motherboard if one is available to you)?

I tried so many ways of inserting the card, no dice. Yeah, plugging the power kinda unseats the card but I pressed the whole thing firmly again. My older PC is pretty much dead since I haven't used it for a year and I don't want to try fixing it too.

Also, just in case, yeah I set the primary display to PCIe and I tried resetting the CMOS.

longdi

Banned
Hope I'm not posting in the wrong thread.
I recently bought a Sidewinder X5 mouse and I'm not liking It: lateral buttons are placed too far for my thumb and mouse is big all around but for 15€ I couldn't resist and replace my old standard model.

wwNSgm.jpg

Any suggestions for replacements? I'm not looking for expensive gaming focused mouses but something smaller with changeable DPI and macro buttons.

• Mouse Length - 5.07 inches (129 millimeters)
  • Mouse Width - 3.06 inches (77.7 millimeters)
  • Mouse Depth/Height 1.61 inches (40.9 millimeters)

logitech g700.
best mouse for internet surfing imo!

longdi

Banned
The 4th or 5th revision of my build, think it's about time I got some feedback on it. I have a horrible feeling I'll be on the 10th revision or so before I finally begin ordering parts.

A bit of preliminary info - I've never owned and certainly not built a desktop before ever, so I have learned everything in the last 3-4 weeks to just get this far. Will bold the parts I am almost certainly - 99% sure I am getting. Some components are more or less "cool, they are expensive and have large numbers included in their name, must be good!" which I will italicise.

ASRock x79 Extreme9_____________________269.99
Intel i7-3930K 3.2GHz ___________________442.12
EVGA GTX 680 4GB Classified_____________510.97
Samsung 830 2.5" SATA III 6GBps 128GB_____74.19
Corsair CWCH100 Hydro Series H100_________79.43
G Skill Ripjaws Z 32GB 2133MHz_____________214.98
Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200W_______204.97

Total____________________________________2019.22(GBP)

Planning to run the 4 SSDs in two RAID 0 arrays, one for boot drive and installed programs and one for current projects (assume I have an adequate back up solution, I know the risks with RAID 0). Probably will bump the two SSDs which will make up the data drive up to 256 each, but I'm still evaluating the necessity of this. I assume (hope) a total of 256GB for the system and programs drive is enough also?

My budget can go up to around £2500 but I think that might be unnecessary. All prices are from Amazon.co.uk, haven't looked into cheaper alternatives (probably won't be m/any) so prices are ballpark. Still need to decide on a case which I'd rather do once all the components are decided on. Speaking of components is there anything I have forgotten?

This is really only for CGI stuff but will no doubt install a few games on there. Will be overclocking whatever I can as much as I can. Anyways don't hold back on advice, have been researching into everything I think will even help me a tiny bit so any recommendations / advice won't go unappreciated and unresearched!

drop the overpriced asrock, you need a gigabyte x79s-up5 wifi! a case of what x79 should have been!

sasports.jpg

fullboardp.jpg

nudei.jpg

scogoth

Which is discouraging because I want everything to go as smoothly as possible. Is this much of a problem at all? And if it's not a problem, is my plan of upgrading to Ivy extremes later on a good idea or are there any issues I haven't considered? I could even put the spare 3820 into a more casual build.

Should not be a problem, If you are really paranoid about it get an ASUS board. They have a special feature that lets you flash the bios with no CPU and no RAM for situations just like this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That link about AMDs new CPUs was enlightening. I didn't realize they have such high clock speeds. That A10 CPU should be perfect for people looking for emulation with 3.8GHz stock at a much lower cost of entry compared to Intel's K CPUs. The vast majority of games wouldn't require an OC, and even those that could use a little extra juice wouldn't need a huge OC.

Lkr

My brother is complaining about guild wars 2 performance. He plays at 1920x1080. IIRC his specs are a phenom II x4 at 3ghz, 4gb ddr3-1333 and a gts 250. Would he be fine with just upgrading to a modern video card, or is a new CPU and thus a new mobo needed right away as well?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I had more than half of it left after covering a nice layer on my cpu.

I don't think you did it right. You don't spread the paste, you put a bead in the center and allow the imperfections of the heatsink and CPU's surface allow it to spread over time. That's what the paste is for. If you paint it, you might create air pockets.

drop the overpriced asrock, you need a gigabyte x79s-up5 wifi! a case of what x79 should have been!
Thanks, could you elaborate? Though I can't see myself changing my mind now, especially since the Gigabyte is only £15 less expensive and E-ATX, which isn't officially supported by the case I'm looking at.

Should not be a problem, If you are really paranoid about it get an ASUS board. They have a special feature that lets you flash the bios with no CPU and no RAM for situations just like this.
Not concerned enough to go in another direction with the motherboard really, I'd just like some peace of mind.

Thraktor

The chips Anandtech tested are rated at 100W as they're higher clocked and are unlocked for overclocking, but there are 65W versions of each one that would perform identically as far as integrated graphics. You'd want to look at the A10-5700 and the A8-5500.

That link about AMDs new CPUs was enlightening. I didn't realize they have such high clock speeds. That A10 CPU should be perfect for people looking for emulation with 3.8GHz stock at a much lower cost of entry compared to Intel's K CPUs. The vast majority of games wouldn't require an OC, and even those that could use a little extra juice wouldn't need a huge OC.

It's worth reading the second part of the review as well, as it deals with the CPU itself. I would be interested to see how they perform in Dolphin, though.

Edit: Well, it should handle Dolphin pretty well if you do this to it:
AMD Trinity APU overclocked at 7.3 GHz, kept cool with liquid nitrogen

Thanks, could you elaborate? Though I can't see myself changing my mind now, especially since the Gigabyte is only £15 less expensive and E-ATX, which isn't officially supported by the case I'm looking at.

Not concerned enough to go in another direction with the motherboard really, I'd just like some peace of mind.

Ugh @ Gigabyte... there like the Abit of the modern era... if you go gigabyte then get those RMA's ready. I only give a motherboard maker two chances to make chances to make things right (I gave Abit four) but Gigabytes deffective-ass runs of X58 in the late 2009 when the X58s lauched left such a bad taste in my mouth I paid a full $80 more with the Asus and that worked on its first try. I'm not much for brand loyalty but I freely excersise brand hate caution.

teh_pwn

damn, computers are powerful these days.

Try encoding a BD rip or compiling for an FPGA.

I hope in 10 years this is instantaneous.

I wonder if Haswell's execution engine changes will improve these. Especially with the new instruction sets and floating point improvements impact this.

Try encoding a BD rip or compiling for an FPGA.

I hope in 10 years this is instantaneous.

I wonder if Haswell's execution engine changes will improve these. Especially with the new instruction sets and floating point improvements impact this.

Has that been GPU accelerated yet? That seems to solve most of the problem with encoding time these days (though far from instantaneous).

longdi

Banned

Pros.
look at dem many intel sata/sas ports! it is officially working in sata 2.0 mode only, but gigabyte left the option to sata 3.0 in the bios.
it uses intel c606 server chipset without charging you an arm and leg, not the castrated c600/x79 chipsets found in almost all lga2011 motherboards.
it uses the latest in integrated mosfet from powerstage ir, means more efficient voltages being supplied. lesser waste in heat and thus allows lower vcore and cooler operations.
and well asrock board and heatsink design looks gaudy imo.

Cons.
overclocking beyond 4.4ghz is wonky due to the LLC not working atm.
prepare to do some bios updates along the way

in depth walkthru of gigabyte 2nd gen x79 motherboard
http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-...ytes-2nd-gen-x79-workstation-mb-x79s-up5.html

teh_pwn

Has that been GPU accelerated yet? That seems to solve most of the problem with encoding time these days (though far from instantaneous).

If it isn't, it should be. Because the problem will only get worse with time. 4K resolution will probably arrive in the late 2020s (in a mainstream sense), and Moore's law is going to fall apart in about 5 years. Looking at Haswell, I'm somewhat concerned that we're looking at barely faster than Sandy->Ivy jump for desktop PCs. I was hoping for a Westmere->Sandy jump (tock), but I think per core performance is hitting a wall. Hopefully we can OC it to 5.0 GHz with liquid.

Thraktor

If it isn't, it should be. Because the problem will only get worse with time. 4K resolution will probably arrive in the late 2020s (in a mainstream sense), and Moore's law is going to fall apart in about 5 years. Looking at Haswell, I'm somewhat concerned that we're looking at barely faster than Sandy->Ivy jump for desktop PCs. I was hoping for a Westmere->Sandy jump (tock), but I think per core performance is hitting a wall. Hopefully we can OC it to 5.0 GHz with liquid.

I think the relatively small jumps for Ivy Bridge and Haswell are more to do with the fact that Intel is focusing on reducing energy consumption rather than improving performance at the high end. Their strategy used to be defined by their competition with AMD, now it's defined by their competition with ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom