• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh. Okay. That's what I was gonna go with anyway. I'm guessing the hypothetical 8850 next year right? What if I wanted to make the switch to Nvidia?
No point in guessing, we'll just wait for some final prices and benches.

I'm not sure I get what you're asking with the second question.

scogoth

n0n44m need some help. Got the power adjusts connected via USB and flashed them and setup the aquabus IDs but they do not show as connected when I disconnect the USB cable.

EDIT: Think I figured it out, they don't show as separate devices but as extra outputs/inputs on the aquaero 5

Hawk269

For some reason my Windows 8 upgrade is not working properly. Everything runs as far as the installing, all the checks it does passes with no issues, but after it reboots I get the new windows logo screen and the spinning circle thing like it is doing something and it just sits there for hours upon hours. Rebooting the system sends me to a screen where I can select windows 8, windows set up or windows 7. Hitting Win8 sends me back to the same screen as before, set up does nothing and win 7 loads in win 7 where I am greeted with a message that Win 8 failed to install and the computer has been put back as it was under win 7.

Anyone else have issue with upgrading to Win 8 from Win 7?

mkenyon

Banned
Well I'm glad that I missed that deal then. No worries though, NCIX has a nice deal going on for an Asus 7870:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index....870-DC2-2GD5-V2&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1016

$209.99 (after mail-in rebate) plus the never settle bundle deal. I think I will snag this instead.
That is indeed a good 'un.
Those don't look too expensive actually. How do they compare to the 7850 or my current card - the 6850?
About on par with the 7850, but again, suffer anytime you go higher than 1080p or crank up the AA, or even use something like the high res texture pack in skyrim.

Like the 6850 vs 7850, it's a marginal upgrade.

IMO, you should be looking at the 7950 or 670. Snag a used one for $300ish.

DTKT

I have a Cooler Master 120mm PWM fan that came off a Cooler Master V6 CPU cooler (functionally a 800-2200 RPM version of their Blade Master fan) laying around that I'd be willing to ship off to you for free, actually. It's only seen about a hundred hours' worth of use, but has red LEDs (the reason I replaced it).

If you want it, let me know.

Thanks for the offer dude, but I live in Canadia, it just complicates stuff when shipping electronics. I'll try to get something shipped from NCIX or Newegg Canadia Edition.

mkenyon

Banned
Well crap.

My system can't run the PCI-E 3.0 patch. That means one of my 670s is running at PCI-E 2.0 x8. How will I ever break the 19k mark in 3dMark11 now!?

Must fight urge to purchase 3770K and UP7.......

mkenyon

Banned
Hate you so much right now.....
<3

On the bright side of things, max temps while running Small FFT and Furmark was 59 C average core, 40-41 C on the 670s. That'll do. Temps after an hour of Uniengine were 55 C average core, 37 C on the 670s.

Man, if only I could pour the volts on those bad boys. I already hear the VRMs popping like it's a fan going bad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So then som guy at work who I don't really like but talk to sometimes becaus it's better than being bored just brought an acer laptop, a power cord and a piece of paper with his passwords written on it for me.

Completely unsolicited, I might add.

He wants me to fix his windows.
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned my sweet new computer.

Oh well, happy to help. But kinda taken aback by the amount of trust he's given me. I feel a strange sense of guilt, mostly becaus I don't really like him.

Salsa

ASUS 670 should be arriving late next week

I cant take it anymore mannnnnnnnnn

at least it should be in time for Hitman

TheD

The Detective
Just for reference...
Does anyone know of a third party SATA3 controller that is not crap?

I have filled both my SATA 3 ports with SSDs and I am wondering where I stand with getting more at a later date.

Mr Swine

Banned
So guys, is it worth upgrading the Maxumus Gene V bios from 0701 to the latest 1309? Is it easy to do it? If so how am I supposed to upgrade it from?

That is indeed a good 'un.

Well, I showed that Asus 7870 to person I was shopping for. He liked what he saw with the price and bundle combination after I showed him a bunch of benchmark reviews from various different websites. So he went and purchased it. I guess I will be the one who installs this for him...

After the install he will have a nice i5-3550, 8GB DDR3 1600, Asus 7870, Win7 combination for gaming. It will be a big improvement from his Intel HD2500 graphics solution.

I kinda wish I got on this deal myself, but instead I bought myself a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC a few months ago for a pretty negligible price. I'm pretty happy with my 660 OC, but the overclocking possibilities and better performance ratio at higher resolutions/ anti-aliasing settings makes the 7870 look appealing at that price.

My 660 still gets the job done for my needs, and it runs rather quiet and cool. Sure PhysX is nice, but performance does take a bit of a nosedive when when running on high settings in games like Borderlands 2. The Linux video drivers are also a selling point to me too, since I do run it quite frequently. Though I hear AMD's Linux video drivers have been making some progress (not sure about the open source ones).

But I am sure that I will stick with the GPU I have now until the next round of cards (or later) comes out.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So guys, is it worth upgrading the Maxumus Gene V bios from 0701 to the latest 1309? Is it easy to do it? If so how am I supposed to upgrade it from?

Upgrading your bios is easy, you should just be able to download it to an empty usb drive and then just boot from the usb drive. You may have to press y for yes once or twice, but if I remember correctly it was that easy. :)

beje

Banned
Well, I wasn't in for a PSU upgrade for a couple of months, but the one in my father's PC is making awful noises and I fear one day the fan will go kaput and the rest of the computer with it so I decided to get a new one for myself and hand him down mine.

Yes, yes, I know it's not the Antec 450 or a Corsair blah blah blah, but I made the homework and investigation, and this one was perfect in terms of protections and 80+ Bronze certification for the price I was willing to pay. Besides, it's one of the very few brands that makes 500W modular units.

ExOeo.jpg
HycNF.jpg
CQoRz.jpg

So goodbye cable clutter, hello a little bit less of cable clutter. I'll get a case with proper cabe management by holidays or so.

sk3tch

Well crap.

My system can't run the PCI-E 3.0 patch. That means one of my 670s is running at PCI-E 2.0 x8. How will I ever break the 19k mark in 3dMark11 now!?

Must fight urge to purchase 3770K and UP7.......

Have you tried running it in the following conditions (obviously, update your mobo BIOS to the latest first)?

1) Disable SLI.
2) Unhook all monitors except 1.
3) Run patch.
4) Reboot.
5) Check PCIe 3.0 status with GPU-Z, if good:
6) Re-connect all monitors.
7) Re-enable SLI.

Should work now. It's pretty finicky. However, this is with an ASUS RIVE. I would not go the Z77 route if I were you, that PLX crap isn't too bad but you get less PCIe lanes direct to the CPU - and your board, even if it doesn't support NVIDIA PCIe 3.0 now, will likely support it soon. For 3-way, your gains are like 8% MAX...even then it's minimal. I can't even really tell with 4-way.

Did gtx 680 price recently go down? On newegg.com, for example the 4gb msi model is $530 and used to be $600...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-1&isNodeId=1&Description=4gb+gtx+680&x=0&y=0

Yes. In response to AMD. 680s are priced real nice right now, especially at the higher end.

grkazan12

So I've noticed that I can't really max demanding games most notably, BF3 with my 570. I don't have a problem with it at all, but I was contemplating on upgrading to an evga 670 or 680.

Is it worth it to upgrade?

Which is the universal favorite: 670 or 680?

Will I see a huge upgrade in performance if I upgrade to any of these from 570?

sk3tch

So I've noticed that I can't really max demanding games most notably, BF3 with my 570. I don't have a problem with it at all, but I was contemplating on upgrading to an evga 670 or 680.

Is it worth it to upgrade?

Which is the universal favorite: 670 or 680?

Will I see a huge upgrade in performance if I upgrade to any of these from 570?

If you've waited this long and felt OK - you might want to consider waiting until Spring '13-ish. By then next gen cards should be out from either AMD or NVIDIA or both.

If you want to upgrade now, get a nice GTX 670. You'll definitely notice the difference...but it's not going to blow you away or anything.

Even better - look into used GTX 570s (probably around $175) - you may be able to pick up a 2nd on the cheap and then you can SLI (if your PSU/mobo can handle it) and enjoy some nice performance until the next round of cards.

grkazan12

If you've waited this long and felt OK - you might want to consider waiting until Spring '13-ish. By then next gen cards should be out from either AMD or NVIDIA or both.

If you want to upgrade now, get a nice GTX 670. You'll definitely notice the difference...but it's not going to blow you away or anything.

Even better - look into used GTX 570s (probably around $175) - you may be able to pick up a 2nd on the cheap and then you can SLI (if your PSU/mobo can handle it) and enjoy some nice performance until the next round of cards.

Thanks for the reply sk3tch, I think I'll just wait for the new cards coming out next year. I guess a couple of extra frames isn't really worth it for the time being.

mug

I'm a sad panda since yesterday evening. I had finally bought the following parts for a new rigg:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Be quiet! Straight Power E9 680W 80+ Gold m
Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE Low Profile (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Samsung SSD Basic 830-Series 256 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2 GB DirectCUII
Fractal Design Define R4
BenQ 24" LED XL2420T
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM English
Logitech G400 Gaming Mouse
Western Digital® Desktop Blue 500GB
Plextor DVD±RW Writer PX-891SA
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Black
Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm x 3

but...it doesn't boot. The CPU, VGA and RAM-onboard LED flashes together for half a second while all the fans moves for an inch, but then nothing. I have assembeled a few computers in my days but I can't figure out what is wrong. I've remounted the CPU-cooler, trippelchecked all the connected cables, checked the CPU for broken/bent pins, tried to start without the graphics card installed, checked every inch of the computer chassi for something that might cause a short and I have also tried different memory configurations (one DIMM, two DIMMS).

Maybe the motherboard was DOA, broken CPU or power supply? GAF, what do you think?
Sounds like a power supply. Try outside the case and swap the PS if you have another lying around.

sk3tch

MicroCenter bringing it with another sale:

$170 3570k
$270 3770k

$140 ASUS P8z77-V ATX (-$40 bundle with CPU above savings)

More to it, but that's the main gist. Damn.

I'm looking for an affordable 20-23 inch monitor that rotates 90 degrees.

Do you have a monitor like this? How did you find it?

I've read that often the best solution is to buy a monitor stand / mount that holds the monitor at 90 degrees, instead of finding a monitor that rotates by itself.

Sullichin

Ok, so the cable from my psu -> motherboard scratches up against my hyper 212 evo unless I remove the fan in the back of my case (then I can move the wire out of the way). When I remove this fan I get a "CPU Fan Error!" message on startup. I can still boot into windows from my bios. Is there a way to make this error go away? My mobo is an ASUS P8Z77-V LK. I moved the fan to the side of the case and my temps have been fine with it there, but I still get the message because no fan is plugged into the other slot.

EDIT: nevermind, I disconnected the Hyper 212 fan without realizing it...that's why.

omlet

Hello all, working on a new build and would like some advice.

I built my last PC in Jan, 2007, and it's been a trooper and is still running (only upgrade I've done is add some RAM), but at almost 6 years old, I'm ready to build something new. Parts landscape has changed a lot in 6 years and I haven't stayed current. This PC will primarily be used for gaming and media consumption, but I will probably be doing other things with it from time to time, such as video and graphics editing, fansubbing, and development.

Current build vitals I have, for reference:
Mobo: EVGA nForce something-or-other (don't have paperwork on hand, it was a bundle with the GPU)
CPU: Intel Core2 e6600 2.4GHz
RAM: 2.75GB (4x1GB sticks [lol 32bit limitations])
GPU: EVGA GTX8800 768MB
HDD: 2TB Samsung 5400RPM HDD (7200 OS/program drive died a few months ago after many years of service) + 2TB Seagate USB HDD

If anyone would be so kind as to sanity check my new build I would appreciate it:
Case: Fractal Arc Midi
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS*
CPU: i5 Ivy 3.4GHz**
RAM: 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance
GPU: ?***

*Motherboard is one thing I'm having a hard time deciding on. It's like option overload. So many firmwares and onboards and overclocks and PCI-E x4 x8 x16 xxxx yada-yada these days. I've based my initial selection off the OP, but recommendations are appreciated, it's a little overwhelming telling what's different (that matters) between mobos.

**Not a modding/OC enthusiast or anything, so I just planned to put a Cooler Master (or something) on the CPU and calling it good for now. Case is going to stay closed so I don't care about internals matching/color schemes/sexyawesomewatercoolingthatIwanttotrysomeday or whatnot.

***For GPUs I'm undecided. I was not planning to SLI, mainly because $$, so I have been waffling between a 4GB 670 and a 2GB 670 (leaning towards 4GB) because the bang for your buck on a 670 seems pretty great, but I could maybe be talked into a 680 if it will make that much difference since they have been coming down in price. My 8800GTX has been a beast and still performs well, and I plan to keep my current PC running until it dies, but... if I want 5+ years out of a single new GPU, is the 4GB 680 the way to go?

I've already got a PSU (Seasonic X750) and SSD (Samsung 256GB) on hand. Not adding additional HDD at this time. Probably will double the RAM in a few months, but 8GB will be plenty to get me going.

Whooter

MicroCenter bringing it with another sale:

$170 3570k
$270 3770k

$140 ASUS P8z77-V ATX (-$40 bundle with CPU above savings)

More to it, but that's the main gist. Damn.

I see the i5 2500K is $160 (their normal price).

Am I correct in assuming a 3570K is worth the 10 bucks extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom