• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar question. I don't suppose that I can get away with a 500 w PSU for a Gigabyte gtx970 windforce oc?
What about the mobo? It's a DH67BL (LGA1155). Some advice would be really appreciated since I found a good deal for this gpu.

500W is fine. What PSU though? As long as it's not some no-name it's probably fine.

JEjb.jpg

GAF, the time has come to build my first PC D:

Wish me luck! :D

Jtrizzy

LilJoka

OK so I'm going off an overclock from this site: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-gtx970-strix-oc-review/21/

Am I running a different version of afterburner or something? Just don't want to mess up my new gpu. Mine is the blue one on the right, with different things to choose.

e9fe88c5-809e-4726-b214-5523e2f3f0d2.jpg

Do I need to be changing power limit? Am I ok to leave the fan on auto?

Fans on auto for now.
Power limit maximum.
Temperature limit maximum.
Increase core clock till unstable, start with 50mhz increments.
Find a relatively stable point using Unigene Heaven or Valley, just a few minutes run is ok.
Repeat for memory clock.
Fine tune by gaming, crysis 3 or fc4 is a good test.

You can't break a GPU with the settings available in MSI AB, unless you do something silly like force a 0% fan speed...

In the MSI AB settings use the on screen display so you can monitor the GPU whilst in game/benchmark.

Jtrizzy

Fans on auto for now.
Power limit maximum.
Temperature limit maximum.
Increase core clock till unstable, start with 50mhz increments.
Find a relatively stable point using Unigene Heaven or Valley, just a few minutes run is ok.
Repeat for memory clock.
Fine tune by gaming, crysis 3 or fc4 is a good test.

You can't break a GPU with the settings available in MSI AB, unless you do something silly like force a 0% fan speed...

In the MSI AB settings use the on screen display so you can monitor the GPU whilst in game/benchmark.

My afterburner doesn't have a power limit slider though. Not sure why.

apparently it has to be on a different skin to show power limit.

tahsutify

Looking for a new mouse. Looking for a fairly small mouse as my hands are also quite small. Needs side buttons on the left, preferably DPI buttons somewhere, all under $80. No MMO mice. I'd also love if the mice has finger rests on the right side, but it's hard finding mice that have those.

I currently have a CM Storm Spawn, but pretty much half of the paint coating has worn off, the side buttons double click, and some wiring is faulty on the inside (Windows doesn't register the mouse sometimes). The feel and especially the size of this mouse is great. Since my hands are small, it's a great fit. But with all these problems I have with this mice currently, I'm looking for try something else.

I been looking at the Roccat Kone Pure Optical, Logitech G502, and the Mionix NAOS 7000. Had my eye on the NAOS due to the finger rests and fantastic sensor, the G502 for the adjustable weights and buttons near the left click, and the Kone cause it just looks amazing.

I bought the G502 recently and it is great in my opinion. Not that I am a mouse expert or anything but I don't think I'll ever replace it unless it gets broken. My previous mouse was barebones so I appreciate the number of buttons. I paid crazy money for it though, seeing the US prices makes me want to cry but what can you do.

RGM79

is a EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Power Supply enough for SLi`ing two GTX 970 or 980s
with overclocking?

or do I need a 850 or more

I have a i7 4790k CPU and a Asus Z97-A (5 way optimization) motherboard
You will be completely fine. You could even run three GTX 980 cards on any decent quality 650 watt PSU. Overclocking will need a bit more headroom, but your 750 watt power supply is a good model, so you're fine.

Going from i5 3570k delid @ 4.6ghz to i7 4790k is not going to give me any gaming improvements, right?

Not really. All you really gain is hyperthreading, and not many games take advantage or even need that.

RGM79

How do y'all like the Gigabyte H97-D3H for a H97 board? It's for my gf's build, no oc'ing/minimal gaming. http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Express-DualBIOS-Motherboard-GA-H97-D3H/dp/B00K7807MQ

Looks fine, it has nice features like SATA Express and M2. What are the rest of the computer's specs? If you want low cost, there's the following:

MSI Z97 PC Mate for $81 after $10 mail in rebate
ASRock Z97 Pro3 for $81 after $15 mail in rebate
ASRock H97 Anniversary for $75

Hey, guys. So I decided to get both a new desktop and a new laptop for college, but I have NO experience with desktops whatsoever. I'm mostly a software guy, so the only thing I have to base myself off is the guide in the OP, but I'm not sure if that's the best I can do, so...

Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Dell XPS 15 L502X (No desktop)
Budget: $1000, US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:Gaming, Emulation, Programming, Photo Editing, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: I own two 1080p monitors that I want to use simultaneously, and would like to run games at 1080p too.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Titanfall, Borderlands 2, Rocksmith 2014, Dolphin, Photoshop, and other games that'll come out this year.
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
As soon as I can. No deadline, tho.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

This will be my first build, so I'm a bit nervous and have no idea on what to do apart from what is in the OP, so I would appreciate as much help as I can get. Thank you so much!

Looks fine, it has nice features like SATA Express and M2. What are the rest of the computer's specs? If you want low cost, there's the following:

MSI Z97 PC Mate for $81 after $10 mail in rebate
ASRock Z97 Pro3 for $81 after $15 mail in rebate
ASRock H97 Anniversary for $75

Nice to hear. Other parts have been purchased and are mostly under the tree.

Partlist:
i5 4590
8GB DDR3 (g.skill)
23.6" samsung pls lcd
A fancy razer mech keyboard she likes
Intel 520 120gb ssd (inherited)
Corsair tx750 (inherited)
antec 900 (inherited)

kharma45

Hey, guys. So I decided to get both a new desktop and a new laptop for college, but I have NO experience with desktops whatsoever. I'm mostly a software guy, so the only thing I have to base myself off is the guide in the OP, but I'm not sure if that's the best I can do, so...

Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Dell XPS 15 L502X (No desktop)
Budget: $1000, US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:Gaming, Emulation, Programming, Photo Editing, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: I own two 1080p monitors that I want to use simultaneously, and would like to run games at 1080p too.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Titanfall, Borderlands 2, Rocksmith 2014, Dolphin, Photoshop, and other games that'll come out this year.
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
As soon as I can. No deadline, tho.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

This will be my first build, so I'm a bit nervous and have no idea on what to do apart from what is in the OP, so I would appreciate as much help as I can get. Thank you so much!

For doing Photoshoppy work and the likes I'd go Core i7 and 16GB of RAM as your starting point. This takes you slightly over budget. Dropping the CPU cooler would get you under it, but your CPU would run hotter and give you a nosier system. Plus if you were to ever consider overclocking (I know you've said no for now) you'd have to change the cooler after it's built. Since overclocking is so easy now (you can effectively change two values for a very simple one) I think it's worth the extra.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1016.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 06:27 EST-0500

If you happen to live near a Microcenter however you can make a great saving on the CPU and motherboard, as you can pick up a combo for $360 of that MSI Gaming 5 mobo and that CPU. It'd be a huge saving if you can use them.

The only other thing is with going for the i7 and 16GB of RAM it pushes a GTX 970 out of your price range. How much Photoshop do you do? Will it be one of your main uses?

One last thing too, if you're really serious about never wanting to overclock you could change the i7 to an Intel Xeon, which gives you i7 performance at i5 money. You could also then drop to a cheaper motherboard, and slot in a 970.

RGM79

For doing Photoshoppy work and the likes I'd go Core i7 and 16GB of RAM as your starting point. This takes you slightly over budget. Dropping the CPU cooler would get you under it, but your CPU would run hotter and give you a nosier system. Plus if you were to ever consider overclocking (I know you've said no for now) you'd have to change the cooler after it's built. Since overclocking is so easy now (you can effectively change two values for a very simple one) I think it's worth the extra.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1016.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 06:27 EST-0500

If you happen to live near a Microcenter however you can make a great saving on the CPU and motherboard, as you can pick up a combo for $360 of that MSI Gaming 5 mobo and that CPU. It'd be a huge saving if you can use them.

The only other thing is with going for the i7 and 16GB of RAM it pushes a GTX 970 out of your price range. How much Photoshop do you do? Will it be one of your main uses?

One last thing too, if you're really serious about never wanting to overclock you could change the i7 to an Intel Xeon, which gives you i7 performance at i5 money. You could also then drop to a cheaper motherboard, and slot in a 970.

For $180, I wouldn't recommend the GTX 760. The XFX R9 285 is available for $185 after $30 mail in rebate, and will have greater performance in most games with a sizable framerate lead.

Depending on the kind of image editing he does, he could even go with just 8GB of RAM, but 16GB is better for demanding jobs like working with multiple 20 MP or higher images at the same time, of course.

paskowitz

Are future mobos going to phase out PCI slots? If yes, is it possible to use an adapter to make a PCI sound card work in a PCIe Express slot?

haikira

Hey guys. Planning to buy 4GB of memory for a friend, as part of his Christmas gift, as I think having only 4GB is definitely a bottleneck for him currently. Was hoping for some reassurance that I'm definitely about to make the right purchase.

Snapped this picture when he wasn't looking, when I helped him swap out his Graphics card.

img_20141207_2226355cd2h.jpg

And here's what I'm looking to buy. Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

I'm almost certain it's right, but I just get really insecure when I'm buying something as a gift, and just wanted to be certain.

EDIT - For extra info, here's the motherboard he has. P7P55D-E LX

kharma45

For $180, I wouldn't recommend the GTX 760. The XFX R9 285 is available for $185 after $30 mail in rebate, and will have greater performance in most games with a sizable framerate lead.

Depending on the kind of image editing he does, he could even go with just 8GB of RAM, but 16GB is better for demanding jobs like working with multiple 20 MP or higher images at the same time, of course.

NVIDIA cards generally work better with Adobe software. OpenCL support might well have improved now though.

Debating on if I should stick with this 2500k or if I should upgrade when Broadwell parts hit.

I think a better investment would be to get rid of these 7950 video cards.

I'd like to hear some of your guys opinions on this.

If I wanted to extend my setup to a two monitor setup, should I just sell my current one and buy a 21:9 monitor? I really like the look of them for multimedia.

If I know that in the future I would like to extend my setup to a three monitor setup however, should I simply buy another monitor? Or would one 21:9 and one regular monitor look / work well?

RGM79

Hey guys. Planning to buy 4GB of memory for a friend, as part of his Christmas gift, as I think having only 4GB is definitely a bottleneck for him currently. Was hoping for some reassurance that I'm definitely about to make the right purchase.

Snapped this picture when he wasn't looking, when I helped him swap out his Graphics card.

img_20141207_2226355cd2h.jpg

And here's what I'm looking to buy. Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

I'm almost certain it's right, but I just get really insecure when I'm buying something as a gift, and just wanted to be certain.

EDIT - For extra info, here's the motherboard he has. P7P55D-E LX
Yeah, that's the exact model your friend has, and is almost certainly compatible.

Are future mobos going to phase out PCI slots? If yes, is it possible to use an adapter to make a PCI sound card work in a PCIe Express slot?
Some Z97 motherboards still have them, but it is more a thing of the past. No adaptors exist, does the sound card have a feature you need?

NVIDIA cards generally work better with Adobe software. OpenCL support might well have improved now though.

It seems that openCL support was improved around two years ago, it should be safe to go with AMD for graphics. Links to benchmarks below:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/photoshop-cs6-gimp-aftershot-pro,3208-13.html

A Corsair, it's all related to my long lasting feud between my shitty r7 260x and my mobo since they don't like to play ball along

What issues do you have exactly?

paskowitz

A lot of them already have. And no, I don't think such a thing is possible.

Some Z97 motherboards still have them, but it is more a thing of the past. No adaptors exist, does the sound card have a feature you need?

I have an HT Omega Claro Halo XT. Outside of phenomenally awesome sound quality the two main features I use are the analog AND optical output in addition to 7.1 surround sound capability. That in addition to the fact it was $250. I feel like nobody is really innovating in the sound card space. The Halo XT is ~6 years old and is still top shelf (sans PCI).

longdi

Banned
Blame MS for killing off hardware sound acceleration.

All the opamps and filters can only do so much innovation.

What issues do you have exactly?
I made a thread about it before, some weird glitches, that I still cant tell if they're related to my aging monitor or not, but especially some very damning BSOD crashes perpretraded by the atikmdag.sys driver. After formating and trying different drivers, I've resigned to blame either my vidcard not liking my mobo or vice versa

For doing Photoshoppy work and the likes I'd go Core i7 and 16GB of RAM as your starting point. This takes you slightly over budget. Dropping the CPU cooler would get you under it, but your CPU would run hotter and give you a nosier system.
So I'm definitely not sure about it since I don't know how that works. I just don't want to mess anything up. lol
I use Photoshop and Illustrator to edit my art prints, but nothing too fancy. My old XPS 15 does it really well, so I'm sure this set would do it fine as it is.
OH, I FORGOT. FUCK.
So, I plan to run virtual systems on this thing, so I need like, 16GB of RAM. (What my professor told me.)

RGM79

So I'm definitely not sure about it since I don't know how that works. I just don't want to mess anything up. lol
I use Photoshop and Illustrator to edit my art prints, but nothing too fancy. My old XPS 15 does it really well, so I'm sure this set would do it fine as it is.

OH, I FORGOT. FUCK.
So, I plan to run virtual systems on this thing, so I need like, 16GB of RAM. (What my professor told me.)

Multiple VMs at once? And what will the VMs be doing?

RGM79

Nah, just one most of the time. Simulated servers and such for networking class. That'll be in a few years down the line, so I'm not too worried now.

In that case, you could actually get by with just 8GB. If you also omit the SSD, you can spring for a better graphics card. An SSD only improves loading times and not actual performance in terms of framerate, while you can always add extra RAM in later.

Here's a revised build for you. I managed to squeeze in 16GB and a GTX 970 by leaving out the SSD. Going with a Xeon processor would have saved you a bit of money, but the Xeon E3 models that were available don't seem quite to have quite as high a clock speed as the i7 4790K.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1015.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 16:38 EST-0500

Im looking at either Mini ITX or MicroATX.
just want something that could work with the 980.

Either's possible. Mini-ITX is appreciably smaller.

Can you give us more details like your budget, the country in which you're purchasing, etc.?

A good Mini-ITX case is the Fractal Design Node 304.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom