• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help choosing a Cable ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAMBO

I need help choosing a Cable ISP.

I have ATT dsl but the service has sucked the last few months. I'm getting cable, Roadrunner(time warner cable), or Earthlink. I need to know which has better Usenet newsgroup servers. Att's DSL sucked but their Usenet servers were perfect, 7 days retention, never miss a file.

I forgot to add in live in Queens, New York.

I know Roadrunner and Earlthlink's Usenet servers will both suck but i need to know which is better, so i can get away with a smaller Giganews account.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Also any usenet server suggestions would be appriciated, i know giganews is the best but it's pricey.

Joe

if you can get optimum online (cablevision) get that, hands down. it's the best cable isp in the country.

Jupiter

Earthlink, I would guess. about 100% complete posts. 5 GB per month, per email. since they let you have up to 8 email accounts, that amounts to 40 GB/month.

LAMBO

wow that's pretty damn good Jupiter. Do they have a good selection of groups? Are they good with adding new groups? Can you request a new group?

jiggle

Easynews is great. 10 bucks a month for 10gig. Plus, do their weekly 30 second survey, and you'll earn 500mb credit each time. Bringing it up to 12+gb a month. Fast download and good completion/retention rate.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hmm...I use bellsouth's DSL and have been cursing it ever since...typically slower downloads than Roadrunner, and I can't upload worth shit...though a few days ago I hit a weird spike in download speeds and grabbed a file at over 10M/sec (slowly filtered down to 3M/sec)...don't ask me if that's even possible or if firefox was fucking up the numbers...but I downloaded a 300meg file MUCH faster than I should :)

I typically download at around 80K/sec though I sometimes get 150K/sec...with Roadrunner i would get over 200K/sec often...upload speeds are often single digit K/sec :\

now...how the hell do you even use newsgroups? i suck at that aspect of the internet

Jupiter

LAMBO said:
wow that's pretty damn good Jupiter. Do they have a good selection of groups? Are they good with adding new groups? Can you request a new group?

They have 28,946 groups. All the major one as far as I know. Yes, you can request new groups, but I have not seen any new ones added in over 3 months so, I don't know if they listen or not.

https://www.news.earthlink.net/

LAMBO

ok jupiter i think i'm going to go with Earlthlink because i know for a fact that Roadrunner's servers aren't good.

Gattsu search around the net for a tutorial, if you want something, it's probably on usenet.

I use a free program called XNEWS, it's the easiest to use, and give you alot useful downloading options i haven't seen in other newsgroup readers, Forte agent is the standard though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
how does comcast compare with time warner, cablevision, etc?

jiggle

With comcast, I get 390kps download(recently doubled), and around 34kps upload.
It comes with newsgroup server which is leftover from attbi. Pretty reliable, though no new groups are being added since comcast took over, i don't think.

Don't know how it compares to others.

jiggle said:
With comcast, I get 390kps download(recently doubled), and around 34kps upload.
It comes with newsgroup server which is leftover from attbi. Pretty reliable, though no new groups are being added since comcast took over, i don't think.

Don't know how it compares to others.

WTF?

2004-08-12 21:02:47 EST: 3059 / 238
Your download speed : 3132757 bps, or 3059 kbps.
A 382.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 244009 bps, or 238 kbps.

Your upload speed is horrible. I'd call and complain. Hell, I'm not happy with my 256kbps upload speed. Comcast really needs to raise the upload cap.

Cerebral Palsy said:
WTF?

2004-08-12 21:02:47 EST: 3059 / 238
Your download speed : 3132757 bps, or 3059 kbps.
A 382.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 244009 bps, or 238 kbps.

Your upload speed is horrible. I'd call and complain. Hell, I'm not happy with my 256kbps upload speed. Comcast really needs to raise the upload cap.

I'm almost 100% sure he's talking transfer rate.

Comcast is all capped at 256 which I think sucks. I get about a 30 transfer rate at best.

Echoes of Pink said:
I'm almost 100% sure he's talking transfer rate.

Comcast is all capped at 256 which I think sucks. I get about a 30 transfer rate at best.

Ah, same here. I should have taken a second to read over his post a second time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hmm, Comcast is offering what is called "higher internet" or something where they offer 4mb down/384mb up.

LAMBO

It makes no sense but someone told me you can't connect multiple computers to Earthlink.

I don't see how they could stop you from using a router.

LAMBO said:
It makes no sense but someone told me you can't connect multiple computers to Earthlink.

I don't see how they could stop you from using a router.

I don't think its true. I know comcast wants you to pay money for every computer on your network and for them to set it up or some stupid bs like that. The thing is you can just get a router and do it yourself. I have a router and works just fine and I didn't have to give them a dime.

They just say stuff like that so they can fool computer illiterate people into buying into their service or to try and cut down on bandwidth.

LAMBO

Yeah a friend told me that, and i know enough that they can't possibly stop you from using a router. I'll probably order earthlink in the next few days.

Any other info on Roadrunner and Earthlink's newsgroup servers would be appriciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom