• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help! Just got a gaming laptop and it's crashing

Hey all,

Some of you might have seen my thread about purchasing a gaming laptop and, well, I did and it's awesome … but...

I keep getting a hard lock and I have no idea why or how to fix it. It first happened about 2 days in and I thought I'd fixed it by making space on my SSD (my SSD was 95% full before). It didn't crash for 2 weeks after that but in the last 2 days I've had 6 hard locks and one of them was in a very undemanding game - Magic the Gathering Arena.

I don't think it's a temp issue as RTSS showed the GPU at 70 degrees; what else could it be!? How on earth do you go about diagnosing the issue and why on earth don't automatic tools exist that help you do that?

It's distressing and very annoying. Why don't they make laptops that work? It shouldn't be crashing as it's brand new and very expensive. And I just bet I'd get no where with Lenovo support.

Someone please help me, I have no knowledge of PCs at all and I'm freaked out that I just checked £1k down the drain.

Soodanim

Hello again. I know how frustrating it is when something new doesn’t work as expected.

Don’t forget that this either gets diagnosed and fixed or it doesn’t. Either way you’re set. If it’s a hardware fault, then you’re covered by UK retail law and are entitled to a refund.

Hello again. I know how frustrating it is when something new doesn’t work as expected.

Don’t forget that this either gets diagnosed and fixed or it doesn’t. Either way you’re set. If it’s a hardware fault, then you’re covered by UK retail law and are entitled to a refund.
Yes but I can't play anything if I have to get a refund and so will be without anything to play for weeks.

DESTROYA

For CPU temps download this

How did you fill up your SSD so quick? Does it happen with other games?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Fbh

Can't really help you on the tech side but if you bought it new you should take it back and either request a refund or a replacement. I had them replace my current Laptop 3 times because of extreme backlight bleeding until they finally sent me one that I was ok with.

You really shouldn't have to be troubleshooting a new product you paid $1K for

kingbean

Yeah if you're in the return window that's what I would advise.

You can check the reliability logs inside of windows and see if it gives you any clue as to what could be causing the locks. This would be helpful if it was software or driver related.

For CPU temps download this

How did you fill up your SSD so quick? Does it happen with other games?

When I first got the laptop it was set to automatically download games to the SSD. When I noticed that I moved them to the HHD. Two weeks ago it was happening to Hitman 2, Fallout 5, and Forza, then two weeks went by and it was fine and now it's happening again to Apex Legends and Magic.

70C is not that much, you should do a RAM test.

Ok thanks, how do I do a RAM test?

Hard lock is not a good sign on a new laptop. You should be taking it to the manufacturer for a RMA. This should not be happening.

What's an RMA, is that an American thing? I'm guessing you just mean return it.

Are you getting any visual artifacts before or during the lock? Also whats the sound situation? Is sound still playing or does it freeze up in a monotone?
If I had to bet I'd say its a video memory issue, which means you'll have to RMA the laptop.

No visual artifacts usually. One time it looked like it was going to lock but then didn't, it was just a huge freeze/judder but it struggled on. Usually it just locks without warning and no sound. One time it made a Burrrrrrrrrr noise but usually it's silent.

New laptops shouldn't be doing this regardless of whether it's a hardware issue or a software one.

Don't even waste time trying to diagnose the problem, return it and get a replacement.

Ok. I probably will end up doing that but, again, that will leave me unable to play for many days in a row. I do not like that.

Yeah if you're in the return window that's what I would advise.

You can check the reliability logs inside of windows and see if it gives you any clue as to what could be causing the locks. This would be helpful if it was software or driver related.

Here's the logs:

3Ze63x0.png

Wipe the ssd to 50-60%.
If that doesn't work, like others have pointed out! Get a replacement.
I noticed you used £ so you must be British, you could get a replacement by Tuesday.

Yeah, British. Eh, Tuesday? How on earth do you figure that? It's Easter Sunday today, bank holiday Monday tomorrow and then I'll have to call Currys and explain, they'll then have to send one out, and with this situation that might take a few days, I'd be lucky if I had one within 10 days I bet. How'd you get Tuesday?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I find it crazy that there's not some software that you can just use to diagnose issues like this. We can apparently put a man on the moon but we can't make a simple diagnostic tool for home computers. It should have one built in! I should boot it back up and it should say "Notice - your flimflam nodule is stuffed, you need to crank up the Z prothole" or whatever the issue is instead of this silly guesswork.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
When I first got the laptop it was set to automatically download games to the SSD. When I noticed that I moved them to the HHD. Two weeks ago it was happening to Hitman 2, Fallout 5, and Forza, then two weeks went by and it was fine and now it's happening again to Apex Legends and Magic.

Ok thanks, how do I do a RAM test?

What's an RMA, is that an American thing? I'm guessing you just mean return it.

No visual artifacts usually. One time it looked like it was going to lock but then didn't, it was just a huge freeze/judder but it struggled on. Usually it just locks without warning and no sound. One time it made a Burrrrrrrrrr noise but usually it's silent.

Ok. I probably will end up doing that but, again, that will leave me unable to play for many days in a row. I do not like that.

Here's the logs:

3Ze63x0.png

Yeah, British. Eh, Tuesday? How on earth do you figure that? It's Easter Sunday today, bank holiday Monday tomorrow and then I'll have to call Currys and explain, they'll then have to send one out, and with this situation that might take a few days, I'd be lucky if I had one within 10 days I bet. How'd you get Tuesday?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I find it crazy that there's not some software that you can just use to diagnose issues like this. We can apparently put a man on the moon but we can't make a simple diagnostic tool for home computers. It should have one built in! I should boot it back up and it should say "Notice - your flimflam nodule is stuffed, you need to crank up the Z prothole" or whatever the issue is instead of this silly guesswork.

Download the image for bootable USB, put it on USB and and boot from it.

Ok well that was good - no results of the memory diagnostic test! Was ok at 80% but then I AFK and it finished, restarted and there's no results.

I look in event viewer at 'memory diagnostic' as per a quick google and there's an event saying the memory check was scheduled but no event with any results?!

This is flipping ridiculous. Is this 1990 or something? Shouldn't these things be better now?

Am I going to have to run the test again? Man this is a right pain.

If it was indeed the SSD the first time and the problem is similar then I bet it’s the SSD again. I actually had the same problem with games hard locking and occasionally resuming after a while. But that was with a mechanical hard drive that had been used a lot. Think it was finally solved completely by reinstalling Windows on an SSD.

How much free space does it have now?

Try chkdsk:

Open a Windows File Explorer window and navigate to the drive you wish to check.
Right-click on the icon for your hard drive and select Properties.
Select the Tools tab and click on “Check” to launch CHKDSK with standard parameters.

You can also try Windows built in troubleshooter: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/troubleshoot-fix-windows-hardware-devices-problems-troubleshooter

If it was indeed the SSD the first time and the problem is similar then I bet it’s the SSD again. I actually had the same problem with games hard locking and occasionally resuming after a while. But that was with a mechanical hard drive that had been used a lot. Think it was finally solved completely by reinstalling Windows on an SSD.

How much free space does it have now?

Try chkdsk:

You can also try Windows built in troubleshooter: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/troubleshoot-fix-windows-hardware-devices-problems-troubleshooter

Thanks. There's 39% free space. Is that enough? If it isn't then is that normal, or is it faulty? I don't want to have to live with an SSD that can only be at 50% if that's not normal.

Just ran checkdisk, no errors.

Thanks. There's 39% free space. Is that enough? If it isn't then is that normal, or is it faulty? I don't want to have to live with an SSD that can only be at 50% if that's not normal.
39% should definitely be enough so it’s not normal to hard lock.

Personally I would probably just try reinstalling Windows, which I know will be a pain in the ass. But then, returning the laptop is also a pain in the ass.

mcjmetroid

I would try the suggestion above me. It does sound like a RAM issue. I troubleshoot PCs but not that familiar with the gaming side of things.

If you wipe your hardrive by using the reset windows option and it happens again then it's the laptop itself and not the OS.
This is flipping ridiculous. Is this 1990 or something? Shouldn't these things be better now?

Am I going to have to run the test again? Man this is a right pain.

It's literally the only reason console gaming still exists at this point. Consoles can break down but most people are afraid to take a chance on a good PC because of random stuff like this.

Last edited:
Ok why isn't that memory scan thing making a flipping event in the event log? Man, computers are so busted. Even diagnostic tools don't work. I ran it twice now and I get no results! It's a joke.

How do I reinstall windows? This thing came with it pre installed. Won't I need some key or something?

mcjmetroid

Ok why isn't that memory scan thing making a flipping event in the event log? Man, computers are so busted. Even diagnostic tools don't work. I ran it twice now and I get no results! It's a joke.

How do I reinstall windows? This thing came with it pre installed. Won't I need some key or something?

A Windows key shoud have come with your laptop? Usually on back of the disc package? Or has that changed.

Also I believe when you use the reset windows option you won't need to put in the key again.

This looks like a decent video on it. It's very easy to do. It'll take a while and if you have any documents you need on it get them off it before you do this.

Otherwise it's perfectly safe to do it. Do it all the time with mine when it starts getting sluggish.

Tesseract

Banned
Codes from the memory test or something else! I don't get any result from the memory test for some reason.

in the windows event viewer app, windows logs > system, there's event ids attached to every reboot

gut is you either got a temp problem with the gpu or your power supply is bad

O
in the windows event viewer app, windows logs > system, there's event ids attached to every reboot

gut is you either got a temp problem with the gpu or your power supply is bad
Ok I'll look into that just as soon as I get chance. Do you mean from when I reboot after a crash?

My GPU is only at 70 degrees when it crashes. How can I tell if my power supply is bad?

Tesseract

Banned
O
Ok I'll look into that just as soon as I get chance. Do you mean from when I reboot after a crash?

My GPU is only at 70 degrees when it crashes. How can I tell if my power supply is bad?

various freeware apps like speedfan, speccy, cpuz, so forth should give psu output (temps and volts)

kinda need a power supply testing unit or alti to do it right tho

and yeah for every reboot (crash or other), there's event viewer codes with associating data / parameters

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

You're obviously innexperienced with computers, just because you don't know how something works doesn't mean it's "busted" or that it "doesn't work".

GV82

How big is your SSD? 120gb? 240gb more?

What make Laptop is it?

Laptops are always going to be more tricker than desktops.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Ahh that master race sure is fun.
You actually have to be a master first , this guy seems like a rookie. Not that it’s a knock against him but we all start somwhere.
T Twinguistics did you get a ACER laptop? What model ?

@GV82

That’s absolutely not true, both are practically the same when it comes down to trouble shooting

Last edited:
various freeware apps like speedfan, speccy, cpuz, so forth should give psu output (temps and volts)

kinda need a power supply testing unit or alti to do it right tho

and yeah for every reboot (crash or other), there's event viewer codes with associating data / parameters

Here's the event code from the last crash. The previous crashes just have a 'system shut down unexpectedly error' without this one. Some of the other crashes have this event though. Looks like it might be a power issue? I don't get it though as if the power supply failed wouldn't it just run from the battery for a bit?

W7mKlwd.png

You're obviously innexperienced with computers, just because you don't know how something works doesn't mean it's "busted" or that it "doesn't work".

Yes I am, and I'm clearly a bit frustrated and that's coming out in my posts. However, if a diagnostic tool fails to actually tell you the results, I'd say that's pretty broken.

How big is your SSD? 120gb? 240gb more?

What make Laptop is it?

It's a Lenovo Legion Y540.

The SSD is only 128gb.

You actually have to be a master first , this guy seems like a rookie. Not that it’s a knock against him but we all start somwhere.
T Twinguistics did you get a ACER laptop? What model ?

That’s absolutely not true, both are practically the same when it comes down to trouble shooting

As above, I got a Lenovo y540.

So - to tell if my power supply is broken, I turn it on, wet my finger and then place it at the end of the wire, right?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No blue screens? It just freezes? Device Manager and check for missing/need updated drivers.

It freezes, but it doesn’t power down? Doesn’t sound like a power issues. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn’t do anything?

You turn it off, so the only event is Windows didn’t shut down properly.

Sounds like it could be drivers or possibly a service causing it to freeze. Too bad it doesn’t Blue Screen or give us an idea of what snapped. You could start it in Safe Mode with networking and see if it’s a Startup service causing the freezing.

Top Bottom