• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help! Just got a gaming laptop and it's crashing

No blue screens? It just freezes? Device Manager and check for missing/need updated drivers.

It freezes, but it doesn’t power down? Doesn’t sound like a power issues. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn’t do anything?

You turn it off, so the only event is Windows didn’t shut down properly.

Sounds like it could be drivers or possibly a service causing it to freeze. Too bad it doesn’t Blue Screen or give us an idea of what snapped. You could start it in Safe Mode with networking and see if it’s a Startup service causing the freezing.
any other information, mobo beeps or software codes?

is this a crash to desktop or a total reboot?

I'm trying to describe the crashes as clearly as I can.

I'm playing a game and then, bam, the whole screen stops moving and goes silent. Nothing works. The mouse pointer doesn't move, the screen isn't moving or shaking or glitching or anything. Escape doesn't work, ctrl, alt ,delete doesn't work - it's just a completely frozen screen and I can't do anything except hold the power down and reboot. Then when I look in logs, it just shows that it shut down unexpectedly which is obviously as I had to hold the power down.

That's it. No warning. No noises. Just freeze.

I dunno what a mobo beep or software code is.

Did you try updating the BIOS using Lenovo Vantage try using the balanced mode in Vantage also ?Update GPU drivers ? Try using Geo Force Experience

If I switch to balanced from performance mode, wouldn't I have to lower my graphic settings a bit given that balanced runs the fans less?

How do I update bios? My GPU driver is up to date.

One last question - I now have a power monitoring tool and it also does CPU temp but how can I even see it after a crash because, you know, it's crashed and so I can't see what temp it hit?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
have you tried disabling rtss?

If I switch to balanced from performance mode, wouldn't I have to lower my graphic settings a bit given that balanced runs the fans less?

One last question - I now have a power monitoring tool and it also does CPU temp but how can I even see it after a crash because, you know, it's crashed and so I can't see what temp it hit?

enable and check the logs

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Not really, I believe with Vantage balanced mode slightly reduces watts for the CPU to not run as hard.

What are your CPU temps? GPU temps when gaming?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm trying to describe the crashes as clearly as I can.

I'm playing a game and then, bam, the whole screen stops moving and goes silent. Nothing works. The mouse pointer doesn't move, the screen isn't moving or shaking or glitching or anything. Escape doesn't work, ctrl, alt ,delete doesn't work - it's just a completely frozen screen and I can't do anything except hold the power down and reboot. Then when I look in logs, it just shows that it shut down unexpectedly which is obviously as I had to hold the power down.

That's it. No warning. No noises. Just freeze.

I dunno what a mobo beep or software code is.

I just want to clarify. You’ve updated your Display Adapter and Video Card drivers? No pending Windows 10 updates and you’re on the 1909 build?

V4skunk

Banned
When I first got the laptop it was set to automatically download games to the SSD. When I noticed that I moved them to the HHD. Two weeks ago it was happening to Hitman 2, Fallout 5, and Forza, then two weeks went by and it was fine and now it's happening again to Apex Legends and Magic.

Ok thanks, how do I do a RAM test?

What's an RMA, is that an American thing? I'm guessing you just mean return it.

No visual artifacts usually. One time it looked like it was going to lock but then didn't, it was just a huge freeze/judder but it struggled on. Usually it just locks without warning and no sound. One time it made a Burrrrrrrrrr noise but usually it's silent.

Ok. I probably will end up doing that but, again, that will leave me unable to play for many days in a row. I do not like that.

Here's the logs:

3Ze63x0.png

Yeah, British. Eh, Tuesday? How on earth do you figure that? It's Easter Sunday today, bank holiday Monday tomorrow and then I'll have to call Currys and explain, they'll then have to send one out, and with this situation that might take a few days, I'd be lucky if I had one within 10 days I bet. How'd you get Tuesday?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I find it crazy that there's not some software that you can just use to diagnose issues like this. We can apparently put a man on the moon but we can't make a simple diagnostic tool for home computers. It should have one built in! I should boot it back up and it should say "Notice - your flimflam nodule is stuffed, you need to crank up the Z prothole" or whatever the issue is instead of this silly guesswork.
I forgot about Easter weekend!
It isn't going to take 10 days. You should get a replacement by Friday.
Should have also built a desktop.

Last edited:
Ok, I gotta duck out for a bit.

Just played a game of Apex Legends (got 2 kills, go me) without a crash and used my new tool to see what's going on. Here's a snip from the middle of the game. Maybe it is a temp issue!

xzdUKlv.png

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much all, I'll be on when I can. Have family stuff.

V4skunk

Banned
Ok, I gotta duck out for a bit.

Just played a game of Apex Legends (got 2 kills, go me) without a crash and used my new tool to see what's going on. Here's a snip from the middle of the game. Maybe it is a temp issue!

xzdUKlv.png

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much all, I'll be on when I can. Have family stuff.
Yeah gpu ram and core2 is over 90 degrees.
That is the problem.
Not sure how you can fix that on a laptop.
How are you using your laptop? It is sat on a pillow or a hard surface?

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Temps seem fine. Generally I've seen Win 10 throw up a blue screen error if temps get out of line (not always but often)

I'd be concerned something is over or under volting though. Not a temp issue but a power delivery one. Just RMA it though.

Antwix

I have two suggestions if you're set on troubleshooting this yourself.
1) Uninstall ALL nvidia drivers, then reinstall them fresh. I've had several experiences where video issues results in hard locks
2) A bit more time consuming, but maybe try a Live CD image (Like a Linux distro on a USB). While using it, if it still locks, you know it's a hardware problem, not software.

I_D

Those temps are perfectly normal, especially for a laptop. Overheating almost always causes slowdown and throttling, rather than complete lockup, anyway.

OP, I recommend a full reformat. The instructions listed earlier about using the built-in Windows system restore might work, but I've also had unreliable results with it.
I recommend just downloading the Windows 10 ISO file, putting it onto a thumbdrive (at least 8gb) and doing a proper wipe and restore.

You can get the ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Click "Download tool now" to get the official MS software.
Use that tool to download the ISO.

untitled8aklk.png

You can then create a bootable USB using the same software (not very easy to use) or a program called RUFUS (very easy to use, and quick) which can be found here: https://rufus.ie/

After you've wiped all of the drives (yes, all of them) in your laptop and installed Windows back onto your SSD, report back to this thread.
The things you've said about having your games automatically download, then filling up your SSD, then manually moving them to your HDD sounds very odd. I strongly suspect the freezing is coming from some type of leak caused by you moving your installations from one location to another.

RedVIper

Banned
Those temps are perfectly normal, especially for a laptop. Overheating almost always causes slowdown and throttling, rather than complete lockup, anyway.

The computer will try to slow down the CPU/GPU to keep temperatures in check, but if it keeps heating up it will shut down to prevent damage.

I_D

The computer will try to slow down the CPU/GPU to keep temperatures in check, but if it keeps heating up it will shut down to prevent damage.
Right, but he would notice this in-game before the lock.
A game like Apex shouldn't be demanding enough to rapidly overheat the machine to the point of an immediate lock. Unless he's playing with it wrapped up in a towel or something.

EDIT: And it will shut down, as you said, rather than simply lock up.

Last edited:
Is just 0.4gb of available memory a concern at all? I notice that's the low. When this happens it would use virtual memory from my SSD right? Could that be the issue? I only have 8gb and I'm using 7.2gb. Perhaps just adding another 8gb stick would help with this?

OP, I recommend a full reformat. The instructions listed earlier about using the built-in Windows system restore might work, but I've also had unreliable results with it.
I recommend just downloading the Windows 10 ISO file, putting it onto a thumbdrive (at least 8gb) and doing a proper wipe and restore.

You can get the ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

untitled8aklk.png

You can then create a bootable USB using the same software (not very easy to use) or a program called RUFUS (very easy to use, and quick) which can be found here: https://rufus.ie/

After you've wiped all of the drives (yes, all of them) in your laptop and installed Windows back onto your SSD, report back to this thread.
The things you've said about having your games automatically download, then filling up your SSD, then manually moving them to your HDD sounds very odd. I strongly suspect the freezing is coming from some type of leak caused by you moving your installations from one location to another.

Thanks but I probably won't do all that, I'll either do the easier format or just get a replacement.

By the way, what's odd about what I did? When I first installed Steam I didn't notice that the games would default to the SSD (as I'm a noob) and when I noticed, I used the option within Steam to move the 2 games to the HHD and made that the default location now. Is that really so strange? Could that really cause an issue?

Hold the phone! My CPU IS very hot. I didn't get it in the other snip:

8eR5lwt.png

I'm not even running a game, only GAF. Is this thread really that fire? Man my topic is lit lol.

Seriously, how can the CPU be 97 degrees when the GPU is only 70?

What can I do to help this?

EDIT - sorry I've realised that the 97 is the max it hit earlier, not just now. Still though, that's probably the issue isn't it?

Last edited:

Antwix

8eR5lwt.png

I'm not even running a game, only GAF. Is this thread really that fire? Man my topic is lit lol.

Seriously, how can the CPU be 97 degrees when the GPU is only 70? Also, it doesn't feel hot and the fan isn't going crazy or anything. It seems like an odd result for right now.

You get a refund for your laptop.

I_D

Is just 0.4gb of available memory a concern at all? I notice that's the low. When this happens it would use virtual memory from my SSD right? Could that be the issue? I only have 8gb and I'm using 7.2gb. Perhaps just adding another 8gb stick would help with this?

Thanks but I probably won't do all that, I'll either do the easier format or just get a replacement.

By the way, what's odd about what I did? When I first installed Steam I didn't notice that the games would default to the SSD (as I'm a noob) and when I noticed, I used the option within Steam to move the 2 games to the HHD and made that the default location now. Is that really so strange? Could that really cause an issue?

The method I posted is, in my opinion, easier than the Windows System restore; plus more effective.

Games put their files in specific locations and don't typically like to be moved. It varies from game to game. Some games will work just fine, whereas others will completely stop working.
If you're playing a game that is looking for a file in one location, but that file has been moved to another, it could definitely cause hangups.

Regardless of anything software-related, though, having a total system lock so frequently indicates, to me, some type of hardware issue.

EDIT: Just noticed your new CPU temp.
Yeah, that's way too hot. 80 degrees is about as high as you want to go.

If you're still in warranty, I'd get a replacement laptop. If not, we can work on ways to fix it, but it will require opening the machine.

Last edited:
Ok, so is me using all of my RAM not an issue then at all? Maybe it's not, I don't know how it works.

Regarding the CPU temp, how is it possible that the GPU stays at 70 degrees when the CPU is hitting 95+? Is that common? Aren't they close to each other and so should both be hot (or not)?

I'm guessing that you're talking about replacing the thermal paste? Is it possible that mine has defective paste and so I should hope to get one with better cooling, or will they all be like this?

Edit - I'll try out the 'balance' thermal mode in the Lenovo vantage application to see if that helps as per suggestion above. I don't mind a small hit in framerate. Let's see; I was using 'performance' mode.

Last edited:

Soodanim

8eR5lwt.png

Seriously, how can the CPU be 97 degrees when the GPU is only 70?

EDIT - sorry I've realised that the 97 is the max it hit earlier, not just now. Still though, that's probably the issue isn't it?
There it is. Intel CPUs have a cut off at around 100c. Your product is not fit for purpose and you will be entitled to a refund by law. Look it up if you want to feel more comfortable.

Well thermal mode didn't work either as I just had a crash. I can't figure out how to see what temp I hit using 'open hardware monitor' as when I restart my PC, the temps are all reset. Anyone know if there's a way to see what the temps were in the last hour or something?

I'm not worried about a refund, I know I'll get one or a replacement no problems. I need to work out what I want to do. Is this a faulty machine or are all Y540s like this? They can't be surely as it reviews pretty well. I don't know whether to get a replacement, a different laptop, or just a refund. (don't suggest desktop, it's not a option. Neither is a console, I can't be tethered to the TV and can't set up another monitor.)

DESTROYA

Try raising the back of the laptop for better airflow for the CPU. ( just the back maybe a inch or so couple of bottle caps should do the trick ) .
I would suggest undervolting the CPU with XTU or ThrottleStop but not sure if your ready do dive into that.
From what I can tell your CPU is thermally throttling, In Vantage set it to balanced and if you have the Windows power profile under performance try the balanced mode. Sometimes the 2 profiles will work against each other.

Last edited:

demigod

OP your cpu temps are way too high. Also intel mobile cpus are crap and they throttle easily. Return it and see if there’s any of those new AMD laptops with nvidia GPU.

I highly recommend getting the X stand on Amazon as well. My laptop with a 2070 throttles but with the X stand it never does.

base

Banned
Hey all,

Some of you might have seen my thread about purchasing a gaming laptop and, well, I did and it's awesome … but...

I keep getting a hard lock and I have no idea why or how to fix it. It first happened about 2 days in and I thought I'd fixed it by making space on my SSD (my SSD was 95% full before). It didn't crash for 2 weeks after that but in the last 2 days I've had 6 hard locks and one of them was in a very undemanding game - Magic the Gathering Arena.

I don't think it's a temp issue as RTSS showed the GPU at 70 degrees; what else could it be!? How on earth do you go about diagnosing the issue and why on earth don't automatic tools exist that help you do that?

It's distressing and very annoying. Why don't they make laptops that work? It shouldn't be crashing as it's brand new and very expensive. And I just bet I'd get no where with Lenovo support.

Someone please help me, I have no knowledge of PCs at all and I'm freaked out that I just checked £1k down the drain.
What laptop is it?

Patrick S.

Banned
Try raising the back of the laptop for better airflow for the CPU. ( just the back maybe a inch or so couple of bottle caps should do the trick ) .
I would suggest undervolting the CPU with XTU or ThrottleStop but not sure if your ready do dive into that.
From what I can tell your CPU is thermally throttling, In Vantage set it to balanced and if you have the Windows power profile under performance try the balanced mode. Sometimes the 2 profiles will work against each other.

You do this kind of stuff to maybe keep some old and crappy notebook going before you throw it in the trash. This is a new laptop and it's not acceptable that it won't run right. That's what warranty and consumer rights are for.

DESTROYA

You do this kind of stuff to maybe keep some old and crappy notebook going before you throw it in the trash. This is a new laptop and it's not acceptable that it won't run right. That's what warranty and consumer rights are for.
Just trying to troubleshoot and help, isn’t that what the thread is for?
OP has stated they don’t really wan‘t to return it and doesn’t want to be without it for a while.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

I'll reply more fully later but what's windows power profile? I can't find that on my pc? I tried the Lenovo balanced and it didn't help so back to performance now as it says that has faster fan speed.

I did raise the back by an inch or so and now only hit 94 degrees max and have been playing Apex now for an hour with no crash.

DESTROYA

I'll reply more fully later but what's windows power profile? I can't find that on my pc? I tried the Lenovo balanced and it didn't help so back to performance now as it says that has faster fan speed.

I did raise the back by an inch or so and now only hit 94 degrees max and have been playing Apex now for an hour with no crash.
It’s usually the slider on the right lower corner when you click on the battery icon .
Looks like this

pzE4CLc.png

Leave it in the middle

Ok, so after I raised it at the back I haven't had a crash in over 2 hours non stop and my CPU high now is 'only' 94 degrees.

Can someone explain what throttling is please. Also, is the consensus that this is just what the Y540 is like, or is this actually faulty paste or something? I've read some forum posts in Lenovo forum with people having the same temps as me. Is it worth trying to get a replacement?

Also, anyone have an experience with a cooling stand? I've seen some with fans that are only about £30. If that fixes the issue then I'd be fine with that. (I can't find the one mentioned above in the UK).

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

untitled8aklk.png

Sorry but 90 degrees gpu and vram temp is not fine.
OP your laptop is fucked. Get a new one.
You should not be hitting 90 degrees cpu or gpu.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ok, so after I raised it at the back I haven't had a crash in over 2 hours non stop and my CPU high now is 'only' 94 degrees.

Can someone explain what throttling is please. Also, is the consensus that this is just what the Y540 is like, or is this actually faulty paste or something? I've read some forum posts in Lenovo forum with people having the same temps as me. Is it worth trying to get a replacement?

Also, anyone have an experience with a cooling stand? I've seen some with fans that are only about £30. If that fixes the issue then I'd be fine with that. (I can't find the one mentioned above in the UK).

If the temps are within spec the temps are within spec. You should try to get a replacement because your laptop is crashing.

Throttling is when the parts automatically slow down because they aren't in spec. Cooling stands are more of a placebo than anything else IMO... but again if you need that to fix your laptop, your laptop is still fucked up.

Last edited:
give us the make and model number of the laptop. Could be a driver issue or bad RAM. Check task manager to see if Microsoft anti malware isn’t maxing out your CPU.

HeadsUp7Up

You should not be going through this much trouble and troubleshooting on your own on a brand new laptop. Get the manufacturer involved and get it replaced ASAP. Or if you’re still within your return window take it back to the retailer and swap it out for a new one. Generally problems manifest themselves early in Ownership and not later. If you keep this you’ll regret it down the line if something else goes wrong and you didn’t take the chance to replace it now.

And then we find out this laptop was being used for gaming on a bed with all the vents effectively closed off...

Not saying whether that’s the case or not but some people don’t know how to properly treat tech and it’s not just a matter of “it should just work cause it’s new.” I’ve seen “media cabinets” so crammed up that the receiver can’t possibly breathe and then people are surprised and cry foul when it burns out within a year, and I’m equally surprised but only because it outlasted my expectations.

Shifty1897

I did not read all two pages.

But, if hard locks happen, disable your overclock in the BIOS, and then update your video card and motherboard drivers.

If it still happens in different games, use memtest86+ to create a bootable USB drive, boot to that, and run a diagnostic check. This will let you know if you have a bad stick of RAM or something.

Is this time consuming? Yes. Did it solve almost every issue I ever had as a PC Technician? Pretty much.

Last edited:

Return the laptop, build a desktop :)

This is the one reason I haven’t bought a gaming laptop just to play with. They are a bitch to work on with hardware. Desktops have far less issues with heat build up and if you need to service a part it’s easy to get to unless it’s the motherboard.

Hope they take care of you and get it swapped out. Make sure you remove all of your account info and delete the porn off it.

Reactions: GHG
I’ve certainly never had to buy more than one PlayStation 1 and 2 because they stop reading discs or send a 360 to fix the RROD only to have it RROD on me again. Noooooope, consoles are completely defect and bug free 👍

Well ive had my PS4 for 5 years, PS3 for 6 years and PS2 never broke down so dont know what to tell you, you must be extremelty unlucky. As for Xbox360 shit show, from the factory 80% were affected by this, its a hardware flaw by the company not by random events. Point is, you buy a console and it plays games. You buy a $3000 PC and this happens. Or your graphics drivers are not good compatible with the CPU, or the RAM you put in is not detecting the other 8GB, or you get pink/purple artifacts on your screen because your GPU cant recognize the graphics settings. I can go on forever. Consoles: take disc out of case and play the game. I dont have to think twice if the game will work as described or not.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just trying to troubleshoot and help, isn’t that what the thread is for?
OP has stated they don’t really wan‘t to return it and doesn’t want to be without it for a while.
Thanks for your help.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but OP is inexperienced with this stuff and thought this was a software issue. We are at a stage where we are sure it's a hardware issue or maybe even some kind of design flaw. At that stage you just don't do troubleshooting on a new device, and just use your warranty.

You should not be going through this much trouble and troubleshooting on your own on a brand new laptop. Get the manufacturer involved and get it replaced ASAP. Or if you’re still within your return window take it back to the retailer and swap it out for a new one. Generally problems manifest themselves early in Ownership and not later. If you keep this you’ll regret it down the line if something else goes wrong and you didn’t take the chance to replace it now.
And then we find out this laptop was being used for gaming on a bed with all the vents effectively closed off...

Not saying whether that’s the case or not but some people don’t know how to properly treat tech and it’s not just a matter of “it should just work cause it’s new.” I’ve seen “media cabinets” so crammed up that the receiver can’t possibly breathe and then people are surprised and cry foul when it burns out within a year, and I’m equally surprised but only because it outlasted my expectations.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but OP is inexperienced with this stuff and thought this was a software issue. We are at a stage where we are sure it's a hardware issue or maybe even some kind of design flaw. At that stage you just don't do troubleshooting on a new device, and just use your warranty.

Thanks all.

I don't think swapping it for a new one would make any difference, nor do I think choosing another gaming laptop model in the same price range would help either. I've done tons of research now and this is just what gaming laptops are like - running demanding games on ultra settings at 70+ FPS on a hot day will cause the CPU to get too hot. Of course they don't have cooling solutions as good as a desktop, it's a laptop. And no, I do not want a desktop. I have no room for a desktop and need something that can be easily moved.

By raising the back an inch and gaming later in the day (not next to my window where the sun was streaming through) I managed to get the temp max out at 94 degrees and I didn't have a crash.

I don't think this is faulty and this vid sort of confirms that:

He's getting similar temps and doesn't seem to think it's that unusual outrageous for a laptop. He also suggests a cooling stand:

As they are pretty cheap, I'm going to get one and see what it does to the temps. If I can bring it down a further few degrees I'll be at max 90 which I'm fine with. No return needed. If not, then I still have about 10 days to decide whether to return this or not. Following those ten days, I then have a year in which to request that Curry's repair the thing so it's all no big deal.

I sincerely thank those that spent some time to help yesterday.

Soodanim

I understand not wanting to give up, but it really does sound like you’re fighting a losing battle on this one mate. Despite what a video says, if a CPU gets anywhere near its thermal limit then it’s a problem. That limit is there because any higher and it dies. Don’t forget that you’re getting much higher temps than the video did, too.

I can’t help but think you’d be better off just buying a Switch at this point, in all honesty. It satisfies your real world needs without a lot of the compromises, and you can maybe get a desktop down the road when your situation allows for it.

HeadsUp7Up

Thanks all.

I don't think swapping it for a new one would make any difference, nor do I think choosing another gaming laptop model in the same price range would help either. I've done tons of research now and this is just what gaming laptops are like - running demanding games on ultra settings at 70+ FPS on a hot day will cause the CPU to get too hot. Of course they don't have cooling solutions as good as a desktop, it's a laptop. And no, I do not want a desktop. I have no room for a desktop and need something that can be easily moved.

By raising the back an inch and gaming later in the day (not next to my window where the sun was streaming through) I managed to get the temp max out at 94 degrees and I didn't have a crash.

I don't think this is faulty and this vid sort of confirms that:

He's getting similar temps and doesn't seem to think it's that unusual outrageous for a laptop. He also suggests a cooling stand:

As they are pretty cheap, I'm going to get one and see what it does to the temps. If I can bring it down a further few degrees I'll be at max 90 which I'm fine with. No return needed. If not, then I still have about 10 days to decide whether to return this or not. Following those ten days, I then have a year in which to request that Curry's repair the thing so it's all no big deal.

I sincerely thank those that spent some time to help yesterday.

I hear you but look at from this perspective. You have to go and buy a cheap $10 part to make your $$$$ laptop work properly? What if you go on vacation or go to visit someone and you forget it, does that mean no gaming for you? This isn’t like buying a dock for flexibility or a case for protection and peace of mind. This is literally to make your laptop function as intended. And if that’s operating normally then the inherent design is faulty and you should look at a different model. But it seems like you’ve already made your mind up so I guess I just wasted my time. Best of luck to you.

Patrick S.

Banned
I hear you but look at from this perspective. You have to go and buy a cheap $10 part to make your $$$$ laptop work properly? What if you go on vacation or go to visit someone and you forget it, does that mean no gaming for you? This isn’t like buying a dock for flexibility or a case for protection and peace of mind. This is literally to make your laptop function as intended. And if that’s operating normally then the inherent design is faulty and you should look at a different model. But it seems like you’ve already made your mind up so I guess I just wasted my time. Best of luck to you.

Quoted for truth. I have a MSI gaming notebook that can get so hot that it hurts to put my hands on it while playing, but it has never once shut down on me, overclocking and all. That Lenovo thing seems to be a faulty design, and this thread was valuable for me, as Lenovo is now crossed off my list when I'm researching a replacement for my current laptop.

Top Bottom