• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help! Just got a gaming laptop and it's crashing

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I would have to disagree here.
Changing between the thermal options in vantage, doesn't appear to change between power plans in windows or the max processor state.

And although there are a lot of useless options, it doesn't really use too much resources, and there are still some useful things that aren't in windows, or aren't as easy to get to otherwise.
Especially for less experienced users.

Things like:
- Always on USB
- battery charge limit for improving battery lifespan
- rapid charge option
- camera options
- BIOS, and driver updates
Yup, totally agree

Though if he's going to be that type of user, it'd be better for him to just to pay to have it done for him rather than to learn about it and fix it himself

Learn how to maintain it yourself, or pay for it, it's the user's choice

And yes, there could be the factor of that it actually changes hardware level things; the gains would be questionable though. If it were such ground breaking technology, it'd be on every device, and advertised to the heavens
It's not, so that says something about the type of gains you would get for implementing it at a hardware level instead of the OS level

The idea is to gain him the knowledge so he can better maintain his device, and know what the programs on the system are actually doing; it's not smart to have things on your system you don't know what they're doing, even if you are just a consumer tier user.

Now here is the real cut; does he want more control over the system, or let the ideas of developers take care of it for him?
I aim to give power to the users; consumer level OSes are stupid simple, and if you don't know how to properly manage one, it's because you've spent time else where (For various reasons both good and bad)
EDIT: To emphasize the above, if learning piano was easy, we'd all be playing Mozart. Get a gaming rig? You better practice piano.

Last edited:

Hum

Neo Member
I thought you were going to exchange for that Acer laptop?

I would think the thermals would be a much more likely culprit if they're still 95+ C at this point.
But you can try updating the the BIOS/drivers which should only take 5-10 minutes through Vantage.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
****Please only do this if you are comfortable effing with hardware**** YMMV

LTTP here but sounds like it could be a power issue.....the battery may be bad/not providing enough voltage to the MB while it is running. If you are NOT going to return the laptop (which you should totally do) and you don't mind tinkering with some stuff....look up a tear down on youtube. See if you can disconnect the battery from the mother board, then run the laptop only using the power brick if it will turn on.

If you are running a game and it crashes back to windows with your battery internally disconnected it could be a voltage issue.

I had a similar issue to what you are describing to one of our MSI (or alienware) units two weeks ago. Swapped out the battery and was good to go.

GHG

Ok so the Lenovo site advises that I need to update a few drivers including the BIOS. Any chance that was causing the crashing?

tenor.gif

Just put the thing back in the box and forget about it until you can return it.

If you brick this thing while trying to update the bios then it will be even more difficult to get rid of it.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Ok so the Lenovo site advises that I need to update a few drivers including the BIOS. Any chance that was causing the crashing?
Yes, there is a chance that was causing the failure.

tenor.gif

Just put the thing back in the box and forget about it until you can return it.

If you brick this thing while trying to update the bios then it will be even more difficult to get rid of it.
I wouldn't say let it sit; if you really want it that bad, go pay for the work to be done

T Twinguistics my pure advice at this point is take it to your preferred repair shop or try to get a replacement from Lenovo
Don't be the dude trying to change his carb but can't change a tire

Shin

Banned
More likely you need to reinstall W10 completely, the SSD has a partition with the old files.
Install that then update to the latest W10 (1909, type winver in the search bar), a lot went wrong in the recent year with the updates (long story short).
After that update the bios and other specific drivers from the manufacturer, sound, graphics, wlan and the likes you can decide (some manufacturers and depending on the model are slow with releases, fansites tend to do the job for that specifc model).

After all is said and done with the fresh install, clean your SSD > explorer > properties > disk clean up (check every box, incl windows update to free up wasted space).
Could use CCleaner and fix our registry as well - too many potential issues to cover and/or to eliminate.
Since it's a new PC it's worth a shot, if you're getting a BSOD maybe type the error code or SS it unless it's a freeze/lock-up without any warning.
Doesn't necessarly have to do with hardware it can be software and bad registry causing it also - endless posibilities, fastest way is to do a fresh install.

Lenovo support have confirmed that the laptop was faulty when it left them and have issued me with a DOA code. Curry's have advised they will accept that and will provide a refund or replacement. Since laptops are so short right now, I'm going to wait for a few weeks and then cash in that code for either a replacement or my money back. I'm happy - I get to use this for a few more weeks and then get a shiny new one, maybe even a better one due to newer discounts, when lockdown is over.

Top Bottom