• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I stopped inclining my keyboard. It's awesome.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Been typing for decades. Never once did it occur to me that using the adjustable feet on keyboards was an option. Kinda felt mandatory for some reason.

No more.

As of a few days ago, I have stopped using these feet and now type on my keyboards "flat" on the desk (they all have some natural incline).

Why? Well surprisingly, it's taking less to type than before. It just feels smoother. I'm not reaching up and out, but just out when it comes to the top rows.

And for whatever reason, I also type quieter than before. I'm assuming this is due to less tension in my fingers so I'm not really hammering down as much as tapping.

Still need to do some speed tests. Usually in the 140s, but I'm certainly not slower.

Be free, my brothers and sisters. Keyboard feet were a lie sold to us by those in power.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
200.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Next buy a nice chair, thats game changing. I got a Haworth Fern fully loaded + a custom headrest, so damn good and my back no longer hurts after long work days.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It's common sense and you learn about posture and arm position in almost all corporate companies that have desk jobs. But okay buddy.

Ahh yes. I must have missed that mandatory "ergonomics training" day in my last 3 corporate positions.

Considering I work on a computer all day every day and then come home to a computer and have had zero issues with pain, fatigue, or carpal tunnel all while typing at well above average speeds, I'd say I know more about my own keyboard situation than you do.

Not to mention, this was clearly a fun thread but there's ALWAYS someone who takes it so seriously. Why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ahh yes. I must have missed that mandatory "ergonomics training" day in my last 3 corporate positions.

Considering I work on a computer all day every day and then come home to a computer and have had zero issues with pain, fatigue, or carpal tunnel all while typing at well above average speeds, I'd say I know more about my own keyboard situation than you do.

Not to mention, this was clearly a fun thread but there's ALWAYS someone who takes it so seriously. Why? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No idea why you're so passive aggresive on a post that I clearly stated it depends on your posture/arm position. You seem very attacked for some reason. Trust whatever you want guy, I'm not forcing you to believe me but you made a topic about it as if its the universal truth, which is not. If common sense alludes you then hey, cool for you. The "ha ha ha it was a joke topic" lost its meaning with the above replies.

BossLackey

Gold Member
No idea why you're so passive aggresive on a post that I clearly stated it depends on your posture/arm position. You seem very attacked for some reason. Trust whatever you want guy, I'm not forcing you to believe me but you made a topic about it as if its the universal truth, which is not. If common sense alludes you then hey, cool for you. The "ha ha ha it was a joke topic" lost its meaning with the above replies.

What's the common sense here exactly? "depend on your elbows"

That...doesn't mean anything.

Just to be a little bit more passive aggressive:

Proper Typing Posture According to Ergonomists

Most conventional keyboards come with legs at the back end prop up the keyboard, creating a positive tilt. While this makes the back keys easier to access, ergonomically it is detrimental, causing your wrists to assume an upward flexed posture (wrist extension) at all times. The only time a positive tilt is innocuous is when the backrest of your seat is reclined significantly. In an upright or slightly reclined sitting position, a flat or negatively tilted keyboard is more ergonomically sound.​

What's the common sense here exactly? "depend on your elbows"

That...doesn't mean anything.

Just to be a little bit more passive aggressive:

Proper Typing Posture According to Ergonomists
Damn reading is hard. From your own opinion piece that you linked lmao

According to Cornwell University and the University of British Columbia, the ideal typing posture is such that the keyboard is below your elbow height when seated, with your wrists straight and not planted on the surface of the desk

Ergo it depends on your posture and arm/elbow position as i told you. Again, common sense. Most people dont have the ideal position and having a slight incline helps. Now stop being a child.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Damn reading is hard. From your own opinion piece that you linked lmao

Ergo it depends on your posture and arm/elbow position as i told you. Again, common sense. Most people dont have the ideal position and having a slight incline helps. Now stop being a child.

Let's recap real quick.

Very rarely does flat do you good if your arm position is as it should be in front of your desk.

Article says literally the opposite unless you're full-on reclining back. Which nobody is doing. lmao

Looks like your "um actually" didn't work out this time. There's always next thread.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
In my younger days I had some issues bordering on the RSI world. But no (extra) tilt, good wrist wrest, elbows roughly at desktop height, and keeping my wrists straight... been a pretty comfy last 15+ years and I spend a ton of time behind my keyboard between work and gaming.

Durien

Could never get down with the tilt, let alone fully split ergo...... (shudders.)

HP slim KBM no scopes all day long for decades now.
One of the BEST keyboards I ever used was the MS split Ergonomic keyboard. I ran that thing into the ground. I almost wanted to float it out on the lake by our house and give it a viking funeral when it finally succumbed to overwork.

Top Bottom