• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I touched a stranger's car at work and the police took my info down...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I might've messed up.

There was an abandoned car at my work today---was jutting out in the middle of the road, a window open, and it turned out the keys were on the bumper. I did the responsible thing and called the police, but since our parking lot gets pretty busy I worried about the car being an issue since it was blocking a side of the road and taking up two parking spaces. So, since I had the keys, I hopped on in and slightly backed it up before the police arrived.

Explained what I did to the police, and then they asked for my driver's license to identity me and got my phone number. People told me that I messed up as my "fingerprints" are now on the wheel if foul play resulted in the driver seemingly disappearing, but I can't be held responsible for moving a car on out store's property to safety can I? If something's missing from the car (since the window was open), would I be blamed? Why did the police need my name and number and not the store's?

I don't like get the car if no one claims it, do I?

Assuming you did what you said you wont get in trouble.

Think about it, you called the police, if anyone asks you just say you moved it out of an abundance of safety. Its not like you stole it.

woolley

I don't know about the legal issues but why would you ever get in a drive a strangers car without permission? It would never even cross my mind to do something that stupid.

Pakkidis

Standard procedure, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I returned items to the police and had to give my personal info as well.

rjinaz

I'm sure you'll be fine, since you explained everything and hopefully nothing is seriously wrong with the driver. But yeah, it wasn't smart. It could actually have done some damage to the investigation if the driver was abducted.

I wouldn't worry just be mindful about such things in the future basically.

Why on earth would you think that was a good idea? You will probably be fine though.
Both of these sentences are true.

Unless you coincidentally murdered unrelated to this case, you should be fine.

c881812371023114c09d301f0f488b66--sesame-streets-funny-shit.jpg

Media

The police take down your information for basically every interaction you have with them I am sure you're fine.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Are you black/brown? If so you are fucked.

No.

Any cameras?

I don't think they'd reach that far into the parking lot.

I don't know about the legal issues but why would you ever get in a drive a strangers car without permission? It would never even cross my mind to do something that stupid.

I mean, if the driver left their keys on the bumper and basically abandoned their car partially in the road---I felt they wouldn't mind me moving it. Rather than it getting hit by a car trying to drive around it in our busy parking lot.

I backed it up a few inches in the space and out of the road and that was it, didn't really "drive it".

akira28

IcePick said no one is allowed to drive his car, and he really means no one. Sorry, OP but you fucked up. As soon as he finds out.

lightus

You shouldn't have driven it,but I doubt you'll get in trouble. Really though, getting in someone else's vehicle and then moving it without their permission isn't a great idea.

If there was an urgent danger in leaving it where it was then sure, but it sounds kinda like it was just sorta in the way. It would have been better to have just let the police deal with it.

Raxus

You are way overthinking this. The police only took down your name and number to follow up with questions just in case.

The police took your info down because you called the police. They have to file a report about this and have to include all the involved parties, especially the reporting party.

You're fine.

But you definitely shouldn't have moved that car.

Brunire

The keys were on the bumper? Man, that is almost like having someone literally wave a red flag in your face. You might be fine this time but be careful when dealing with shady scenarios, fam.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Should have just called the police without getting in the car. I mean I don't think you did anything wrong but if the car owner is dead or something.......

RedHill

Banned
I... don't think getting in that car would've ever crossed my mind. I don't actually understand why you did that.

v1lla21

You were the reporting party of an abandoned vehicle, they were gonna get your information regardless. Lol. You're fine although idk why you thought it'd be okay to get into the car and move it.

Top Bottom