• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I touched a stranger's car at work and the police took my info down...

I was involved in a hit and run sort of (someone had a gun and I hit another car and wasnt stopping)

I called the police and told them what happened but they had no report of an accident at the intersection I was at. He gave me some paper work to fill out and send in. yeah, right in the trash...

So, I mean whatever I dunno man sometimes police can't do anything even when your asking about it. I guess I'd say only "if they really want" ask yourself this. did they seem to believe you. Did they seem to like you or not. That's all that matters honestly

Acrylic7

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you committed Grand Theft Auto. The car wasn't yours but you just cranked it up and moved it? Thats nuts imo.

I don't know about the legal issues but why would you ever get in a drive a strangers car without permission? It would never even cross my mind to do something that stupid.

This was my immediate thought as well. I would've just called the cops or a towing company. OP should be fine though.

Who knows how long it was sitting there without causing a problem, but you couldn't wait 5 minutes to wait for the cops and let them move it? As others have said, it probably won't be a problem, but whatever scenario lead to someone leaving a car in such a weird state has maybe a 50/50 shot of being some kind of criminal activity. And you just plopped your ass in the middle of it.

riotous

Banned
Police are not your friends. And if you live in an urban area, you will learn to mind your own business. Hopefully this is that lesson for you and nothing comes of it.

it is very likely he will never hear about it, they know he has nothing to do with whatever reason it was there.

if they find the owner is dead or something then he may hear back from it and SURE, there is a chance (very very small) that they would pin it on him but in all truth like the above is saying it all has to do with the cop/s. People have different thoughts and ideas and if they really wanted to nail him well they could do that. It is very unlikely and they have no real reason to do it so I really wouldn't worry about it. But people can do anything they want, that is the chance of it. With that said, I likely wouldn't move it for the above reasons but I also may not find it a big deal to move it. If I ended up in jail yeah well that would suck for moving a car

shoelacer

Banned
It was an abandoned car with the windows down and the keys on the fucking bumper? Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it lmao. If there's anything stolen the chances of the police charging you are pretty slim, but 'car left in the middle of the fucking road with the windows open and the goddamn keys right there' certainly seems like grounds for reasonable doubt

akira28

well if he was anything other than whatever, he might be calling the police on himself, but it looks like he made it out ok.

this time.

"who kills an entire family, stuffs them in the trunk, robs a bank, and then comes back to the getaway car to make sure it's parked properly, then calls the police? this guy."

cr0w

Old Member
Are you black/brown? If so you are fucked.

Charlie-Day-WTF.gif

I wouldn't have driven the car because I would have been thinking someone would jump out of nowhere and scream that I stole their car. And there wouldn't be shit I could do about it. Leave things alone next time OP.

Spenny

Every time you report something to the police they take down your information. I would never in a million years get into that car and drive it though.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I once found a wallet on a bench and gave it to some random beat cop a couple blocks later and he asked for all my info. It's just what they do.

It's also why I generally stay away from them. They're just creepy and officious af.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
They just write down your information in case they need a witness later on. It was right for you to call the police, but I wouldn't drive someone else car without permission.

Megatron

Not buying your story OP. You put that car there and then realized the police would find your finger prints in it so you 'moved it'.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Why the fuck would you drive a car that isn't yours? The police would have called a tow truck.

You fucked up. Don't do shit with stuff that isn't yours.

I dont understand why you think it'd be a good idea to get in the car. Obviously something was wrong...it could have been bait, it could have had a bomb, it could be a murder victims vehicle and now your prints are everywhere. You could have tainted evidence. The list probably goes on. What the fuck?

I wouldn't have touched it at all. Call the cops and let them deal with it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
By "road" I don't mean it was on the public road, but rather jutting out of two parking spaces into the driveway from the highway to our store---so it was on store property, and on our busiest pathway where tons of cars drive through especially on a busy Saturday.

Also the car had been sitting there for well over three hours (I had come in at around six, noticed it, but just thought someone had quickly stopped for something, then noticed it was still there when I went outside three hours later), and it was actually someone else who found the keys on the bumper---only then did I decide to move it since the option was available.

It was still there when I left around 2:30---hopefully the owner got it and everything's settled. :p

Top Bottom