• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was so sure I knew what TV I wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a topic a few months back asking about TV's. I want a Sony that is capable of 1080p, obviously 1080p 50 0r 60fps cabable as I will be using it with a PS3. In that topic I came to the conclusion I would buy this Sony 60" Grand Vega. I was also looking at the Bravia line, but as I didnt see any 1080p capable models, and when I looked in to it there didnt seem to be any indication that a 1080p model would be released any time soon. Just the other day however I was in the mall, and walked in to the Sony store, and found this 46" XBR Bravia.

KDSR60XBR2.jpg
.vs.
KDL46XBR2.jpg

My god this TV is beautiful, and while for the last few months my plan have been to get the 60", I must say I am really not sure now.

There pros and cons to both for me, I still live at home, so while I am planning to put the TV in my room, the 60" would take up a LOT of space. Where as the 46" Bravia is way better in physicle size. I dont love the idea of sacraficing 14" of screen size though. The other issue comes from the fact that both TV's are the exact same price.

I have talked to various people (at Future Shop and such) about both TV's and have had several tell me they would go with the LCD as it's a flat panel, but I want to know are there any other advantages from one over the other I should know of. I have been told with the grand Vega I would need to replace the pulb every 5000 hours, which suprised me, I thought that was only with front projection. Also when reading the specifications I noticed that the Bravia does not list picture and picture as a feature, the Grand Vega does have the feature however, it's not a deal breaker by any means, though my current CRT Vega does have Pic and pic, and I use it on occassion when playing a game and watching TV.

Does anyone know with either of these TV's, (I looked all over there pages, but couldnt find aywhere) what the 1080p fps cap is?

One other thing, I have noticed on Sony's site this46" Bravia, also 1080p capable, but it's $300 more. What the deal here, I cant to find any difference in specs.

If I go with the Bravia, I am considering getting a wall mount, though I am a little concerned if my wall could support a TV. Than again I do currently have a shelf on this wall holding both my VCR, DVD player, and 3 speakers.

So GAF, help me decide here. :)

RaidenZR

Well I'm pretty sure those two models you posted are BRAND-SPANKING NEW. As in days to a week... so you'll be paying top dollar for sure. But goddamn, 60" is a lot of screen. How big is your room?

Beezy said:
You'd probably have better luck posting this in the stickied HDTV thread in the gaming forum.

Maybe so, still dont understand why my topic was ignored for over 2 hours and ended up on the next page without a single responce. I will post this in that thread as well though.

RaidenZR said:
Well I'm pretty sure those two models you posted are BRAND-SPANKING NEW. As in days to a week... so you'll be paying top dollar for sure. But goddamn, 60" is a lot of screen. How big is your room?

It is, room isnt huge, that part of why I am considering the Bravia, as for my room, I dunno, 9 by 11 feet or so. As I said, the 60" would have been big, but I wasnt sure I would put it in my room anyway. Your correct, both models are brand new.

tomjr

A few years ago, I had my heart set on the 34" sony hd crt. Then my friend showed me the sony lcdrp and even though I vowed that I would never get a rear projection, the picture quality changed my mind. I got the kf50xbr800 gwII (probably about the same price as the 50" sxrd now). Back then, the lcd monitors were smaller and way more expensive, so it was never an option. You can see my setup in that gaming setup thread.

I would recommend the sxrd. I think the sxrd picture looks great (viewed briefly in the store). I imagine the picture from the sxrd would be less "digital" and a bit softer being that it's a projected image. My tv has a drc whatchamahoosit so you can tune the "detail" of the image. I sit about 12' away from my screen so it might just about right for you.

The downsides are that it's physically more bulky and you'll need to shell out a couple hundred bucks to replace the lamp.

Well, you'll love either of them. The best part is, when you bring it home, it'll seem about 30% larger than when you saw in the store with all the other screens!

Good luck!

tomjr said:
A few years ago, I had my heart set on the 34" sony hd crt. Then my friend showed me the sony lcdrp and even though I vowed that I would never get a rear projection, the picture quality changed my mind. I got the kf50xbr800 gwII (probably about the same price as the 50" sxrd now). Back then, the lcd monitors were smaller and way more expensive, so it was never an option. You can see my setup in that gaming setup thread.

I would recommend the sxrd. I think the sxrd picture looks great (viewed briefly in the store). I imagine the picture from the sxrd would be less "digital" and a bit softer being that it's a projected image. My tv has a drc whatchamahoosit so you can tune the "detail" of the image. I sit about 12' away from my screen so it might just about right for you.

The downsides are that it's physically more bulky and you'll need to shell out a couple hundred bucks to replace the lamp.

Well, you'll love either of them. The best part is, when you bring it home, it'll seem about 30% larger than when you saw in the store with all the other screens!

Good luck!

Oh I know man, save thing happend with my current CRT Vega.

Thanks for the info as well :)

Black Deatha said:
Maybe so, still dont understand why my topic was ignored for over 2 hours and ended up on the next page without a single responce. I will post this in that thread as well though.

Maybe because there weren't many people reading GAF at that time? Maybe because there is a new HDTV thread every other day here? Maybe because you should just look at the two sets and just decide which one YOU like best and buy it. Maybe?

Personally I'd go with the SXRD, not only because I prefer the picture to the LCD, but because of the screen size difference.

I'd only go with the LCD if space is a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom