• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing tops the ballad of riccetello. I get it stuck in my frequently, and I've only heard it like the 2 or 3 times I've listened to that episode. I really want to know if riccetello himself has heard that and what he thinks about it. Its by far one of the goofiest tracks.

Shaneus

Chucked in $60 ($10 for international shipping). I feel as if it is in part, like others have said, is payment for all the old podcasts and the entertainment they provided me.

What is everyone favorite Idle Thumbs songs? I think mine has to be A Letter To Edge, so brilliant.
You can find all the songs here here.
My favourite line in that is the "That leaves one idle thumb, who thought this game was a little bit dumb".

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh my heavens, 25k in the time I slept. People missed you Thumbs that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they maintain the lighter tone for the bookcast.

Jintor

Nothing tops the ballad of riccetello. I get it stuck in my frequently, and I've only heard it like the 2 or 3 times I've listened to that episode. I really want to know if riccetello himself has heard that and what he thinks about it. Its by far one of the goofiest tracks.
Remember is my fave.

Sibylus

Banned
Well, this nudged me to resub on iTunes and start a marathon.

Admission time: I'd listened to about 3 episodes total before. Making good now, however!

Rlan

Put $60 down because that's pretty much what I did for Giant Bomb as well. Plus I want that sweet shirt.

Echoes

Never listened to the podcast before. That's ambitious and super awesome.

I record podcasts for 3 years now (Arabic, so don't ask for a URL), and huge fan of gaming/tech podcasts, so I'm really happy for them. Might back the project, though I'm not sure why I would want to as I'm not yet familiar with the show.

Corky

I love the Thumbs but I have to give it to you, Corky: you're the most Idle Thumbs fan. The most. Puffins, good sir!

The...most?

What can I say... *searches jacket pocket and pulls out a shriveled piece of acceptance speech paper*

Jokes and all that aside, as people are getting serious in this thread I might as well bring down the thread with my misery. My life is quite shitty now, I feel depressed and everything in my day to day life seem to be getting worse and worse. There are a few things that manages to put a smile on my face, one of them being my nylon stringed guitar and the other being listening to Idle Thumbs.

The highest praise I can give to the idle thumbs podcast is ( their inherent hilarity aside ) that I genuinely believe they discuss and dissect games in a way I've never even read in print let alone heard others bring up on podcasts. I'm sick of all other podcast's " What have you been playing? Was it good? What was bad?" rigid, diluted, monotonous and repetitive narratives..

Just take Chris's talk about Civ 5, they start talking about logos and music and hell even the fog of war and other aspects of the game that you'd never hear outside of your typical "graphics/gameplay/tilt/funfactor"-review. Yet it's infinitely more interesting than any other review of the game I've heard, seen or read. Then they suddenly digress via the patented Idle thumbs seg and go "Civilization FIVE" ( in their best resident evil title card narrator ) which unleashes a hilarious tangent about hypothetical resident evil-esque Sid Meier's logos/title cards.

Every now and then I totally lose all wish to play games and lose interest in them for a while, that is until I listen to any random Idle thumbs podcast and within the span of 60 minutes that interest has been reignited and revitalized by interesting and often hilarious personal game stories from the people on the cast. I could probaly go on for pages about how much I love it but I'm surrounded by friends in this thread and I'm sure they all appreciate the idle thumbs in their own way.

I love you Boost, Games, Famous, Scoops and yes
even
Nick.

Addendum :

Hell come to think about it the podcast has actually affected me in more than one way. While preparing to take my english proficiency test in order to be able to study in the US, I continuously listened to to the podcast to broaden my vocabulary and to strengthen my listening comprehension. In retrospect I think they most definitely attributed to me passing also while at the university I was listening to the podcast where they read my mail, that was meta.

mclem

I've... never actually listened to Idle Thumbs. It does seem like it'll be up my street, though, and I have the Kickstarter bug at the moment, so...

I'll listen to ten or so and then decide.

Never listened to the show, but as a fellow podcast creator it blows my mind they're asking for so much money. Podcasts can be made for peanuts. Sure, popular ones require more bandwidth, but even that isn't anywhere near $30k expensive, especially audio podcasts (which I assume this is, as it doesn't specify). Don't these guys have a single room/garage at any of their homes that can be used for this? Surely no-one needs a dedicated additional space to record in?

But hey, who am I to question how folks spend their money. I'm just a bit flabbergasted by it (and maybe a touch jealous, as I could use a new office myself).

LCfiner

Never listened to the show, but as a fellow podcast creator it blows my mind they're asking for so much money. Podcasts can be made for peanuts. Sure, popular ones require more bandwidth, but even that isn't anywhere near $30k expensive, especially audio podcasts (which I assume this is, as it doesn't specify). Don't these guys have a single room/garage at any of their homes that can be used for this? Surely no-one needs a dedicated additional space to record in?

But hey, who am I to question how folks spend their money. I'm just a bit flabbergasted by it (and maybe a touch jealous, as I could use a new office myself).

read the responses in here from Chris Remo. a big chunk of the money is for covering the rewards they are providing with the pledges. The rest is for setting up the podcast/ getting office space.

Corto

Nurture your audience and give them great value with your content and maybe you will achieve the same.

Corky

I mean absolutely no offence when I say this, but there might be a reason I've heard about Idle Thumbs and not you.

This has been brought up so many times already but if you think they want 30k for "only" bandwidth and a recording studio then you need to re-read the kickstarter page and realize those - I dare say pretty great- rewards are certainly not free. There are other people behind this project, artists and even a game programmer who has made some great pc games.

"Don't these guys have a single room/garage at any of their homes that can be used for this? "

Apparently not, if you read up about it more rather than focusing on the money you'd know they recorded their stuff with mics on the kitchen table.

"Surely no-one needs a dedicated additional space to record in?""

If the additional space, i.e dedicated recording room, alleviates issues related to the logistics behind podcasting with several people AND increases the production values of the podcast then why on earth is that a problem?

edit : wait what... Never listened to the show? Then how can you possible reach any kind of worthwhile point with just baseless conjecture?

God, imagine if GFW pulled this shit! They'd retire immediately and get ferraris implanted in their scrotes with the mountains of coin they'd make.

Ledsen

could someone explain to me what the whole rebel fm thing is/was about?

They bought a gaming computer for one of the crew for donation money so he could talk about PC games more. Outrage was had. Also the original cast, the one people donated to hear, didn't stay together very long.

Bad7667

God, imagine if GFW pulled this shit! They'd retire immediately and get ferraris implanted in their scrotes with the mountains of coin they'd make.

No kidding. They have a huge fanbase that would just die to listen to one podcast with those guys. Come to think of it, if they wanted to fund a new games site, they probably could.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
could someone explain to me what the whole rebel fm thing is/was about?

When Hearst sold 1UP to UGO, they canned a whole bunch of staff and shut down a bunch of their podcasts/video podcasts. Many of the staff who worked on the more popular podcasts formed new companies afterward to continue the podcasts. RebelFM was, as I understand it, the continuation of 1UP FM. They asked for donations from viewers to get equipment to run the show. This was before Kickstarter existed.

FartOfWar

Banned
The only tasteless word that bothered me was the rather liberal use of "retard" or "retarded", which is practically this generation's "gay". I'm glad they stopped using it, or at least caught themselves when they did.

Retard came into use as a polite substitute for the once offensive cretin and imbecile. So now I call people the latter.

stupei

Really, really want these rewards to arrive safely, so I have to ask: is there a place where you can register an alternate mailing address? My billing address is my apartment but I generally have things sent to work when possible.

Corto

Really, really want these rewards to arrive safely, so I have to ask: is there a place where you can register an alternate mailing address? My billing address is my apartment but I generally have things sent to work when possible.

Maybe changing the address linked to your Amazon account should do it?

Corky

My amazon account had some phony adress linked to it so I fixed that and put in my real adress. Then I realized that kickstarter specifically says that when the time is up the people behind the project will mail you and ask you for your address and such.

stupei

My amazon account had some phony adress linked to it so I fixed that and put in my real adress. Then I realized that kickstarter specifically says that when the time is up the people behind the project will mail you and ask you for your address and such.

Thanks, guys. I was sitting there (idling, ha!) on the "confirm payment" screen, uncertain if I was going to lock myself into this address or what. Haven't paid enough attention to how kickstarter handles it before because, let's face it, these rewards are awesome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They aren't really. Just what people see of them when they don't listen. Some of the best, most in-depth interviews I have ever heard in my life have been done on the O and A show. Hell, all the best comics on earth are good friends with the guys. The top musicians, actors all love them. It's not just shock. It's being open, and talking about anything. In a world where you get fired for one slip up on twitter, where double standards reign supreme.

Censorship is killing normal radio/TV. Which is why everyone is running to online content and satellite. Why all the good shows are now on FX/HBO type channels. Normal radio is virtually bankrupt, and almost 90 percent of the hosts have been fired since the 80's. Now everything is top 30, and pre-reocrded bits you can buy from a company online, that are played across the country instead of actual content. Many talented, funny people are moving into SiriusXM/Podcast territory and doing a fantastic job.

My point is, Idlethumbs should be NATURAL. Don't change the way you act and talk to appeal to a fickle subset of sensitive people. Be yourselves. You don't need to be anything different, or do anything "shocking". Unless that is who you are to begin with.
Fuck is just a poor substitute for interesting and actually expressive adjectives. I want these guys to have pocket thesauruses on their laps while recording.

Corto

I think I had a great idea for a Kickstart. Fund a buddy package of the Idle Thumbs kickstarter to Corky with all the expenses covered and a video documentary of the whole thing. Hmmmm....

I mean absolutely no offence when I say this, but there might be a reason I've heard about Idle Thumbs and not you.

An unnecessary slight, but no offence taken.

This has been brought up so many times already but if you think they want 30k for "only" bandwidth and a recording studio then you need to re-read the kickstarter page and realize those - I dare say pretty great- rewards are certainly not free. There are other people behind this project, artists and even a game programmer who has made some great pc games.

Those rewards are indeed pretty great, but if the majority of the money goes towards those rewards, it seems more like I'm buying stuff rather than funding a cool project. ie. I'd be more prepared to support someone asking for less money (as a whole) but using it specifically for their project rather than "selling" cool stuff. Now obviously these guys have enough of a fanbase that they can pull in money in this way and there's nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't sit as easy with me as other Kickstarter projects I've seen.

"Surely no-one needs a dedicated additional space to record in?""

If the additional space, i.e dedicated recording room, alleviates issues related to the logistics behind podcasting with several people AND increases the production values of the podcast then why on earth is that a problem?

Purely speaking from my personal experience of making a podcast, it seems excessive to ask for money for such a thing. I work around my wife and young family and sure, it's not easy, but I make it work.

Anyway, they're just my personal observations. I don't want to in anyway suggest the guys are wrong for going about things the way they have, they're not, just that I'd have been far more willing to donate if they had.

As they've now made way more than they asked for, any donation I may have wanted to give is now irrelevant, so I will now be quiet, wish them well and climb back in my box.

Corky

An unnecessary slight, but no offence taken.

Wasn't mean as a slight, although in retrospect I realize it came across as that and I apologize. What I was trying to get across is that there is a reason people are willing to give 80k to the idle thumbs kickstarter in less than 24h.

You said you haven't listen to them, fair enough - then at least give them a try.

(I got lazy trying to decide what to quote you on)

I think the difference between hobbyist podcasts and actual professional podcasts often gets ignored. There is a difference in sound quality, ability to keep a consistent schedule, and longevity of the project.

Remo has been in this thread (along with everybody else, it's a podcast bonanza!) and from what I can gather from his words this is like what Comedy Bang Bang did with Earwolf studios. Establishing something that is not only going to stick around for a while, but something that can branch and grow and become something better than what it was before.

And it's hard to understate the value of a podcast that sticks around for a while. When I listened to CGW/GFW Radio (from the very beginning) the value added through the company backing was a pretty big deal, the death of Ziff notwithstanding. Idle Thumbs was one of the most professional, polished podcasts within its loose format due to the quality of the humor and insight, but it wasn't guaranteed to stick around and when it had to stop I wasn't surprised at all.

Look, I love the off-hand, in-my-free-time podcasts as much as anyone. But the sustainability of a professional with-a-studio podcast show is something I am willing to pay for and not feel like my money is being wasted.

Wasn't mean as a slight, although in retrospect I realize it came across as that and I apologize. What I was trying to get across is that there is a reason people are willing to give 80k to the idle thumbs kickstarter in less than 24h.

You said you haven't listen to them, fair enough - then at least give them a try.

No worries, I totally get what you're saying and I'm sure the show is great. Honestly, if I had more time in my day for content, I'd give it a go, but I don't even have time for my one true podcasting love.

I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had around how Kickstarter is used though, but I'll stick that one in my cap for some later date.

I think the difference between hobbyist podcasts and actual professional podcasts often gets ignored. There is a difference in sound quality, ability to keep a consistent schedule, and longevity of the project.

Look, I love the off-hand, in-my-free-time podcasts as much as anyone. But the sustainability of a professional with-a-studio podcast show is something I am willing to pay for and not feel like my money is being wasted.

I agree, there is usually a difference, but not always. In my case (no arrogance intended) as a hobbyist, for consistency we've been weekly for 124 weeks without missing a beat. Recently it has been difficult for every host to be present every week, but we never fail to put out a show. For audio quality, we could have more expensive mics, but we do have an audio editor who edits the show for us (recruited for free, just by advertising). So I think unless we were doing this as our jobs, we'd be hard pressed to top what we're doing in purely those terms. Obviously the hosts/content can always be better.

Kinyou

Wow, people really like to throw money at people they value. Not that this is anything bad, I'm just surprised at how easily it happens.

... did they get funding? I can't imagine this will. Its pretty ... "bleh"

just had a look. They did pretty good; I won't be listening though; didn't make the cut for a reason.

Garnett Lee should do a Kickstarter campaign for free money if this crew can rake that much in. WC is largely beloved.

I agree, there is usually a difference, but not always. In my case (no arrogance intended) as a hobbyist, for consistency we've been weekly for 124 weeks without missing a beat. Although recently it has been difficult for every host to be present every week, but we never fail to put out a show. For audio quality, we could have more expensive mics, but we do have an audio editor who edits the show for us (recruited for free, just by advertising). So I think unless we were doing this as our jobs, we'd be hard pressed to top what we're doing in purely those terms. Obviously the hosts/content can always be better.

You are the exception, and I respect you for it. But as a podcast consumer, I usually look at the rules, not the exceptions. A company or studio type system makes a huge difference in longevity, to the point where people will pay to see that change happen.

I wrote a daily blog for four years and kept it pretty consistent in subject matter and quality. I never got paid once for my writing. I realize that I'm the exception there (almost extraordinary exception), and you should too.

Top Bottom