• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you always wanted to install VJ (PS2) on the HDD but didn't know how - enter

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's how to install Viewtiful Joe on the HDD (and yes, have it to actually work :p ) This ONLY works with US version of the game:

1. Get your game disc, rip the ISO using the DVD decryptor.
2. Use a good file Hex editor to open the ISO and at the offset 2431111834 you should find 60 04. Change that to 00 10 and save the changes.

Transfer the ISO to the HDD and enjoy in faster load times (not much faster as there's still the 5-4-3-2-1 counter, but it is a bit faster). I've tried it, and it works.

Make sure to use a good hex editor for this, as most of them can't edit the file as large as this ISO (2.7GB). I've tried many of them, but only WinHex actually worked. If you have problem making this change due to a crappy hex editor, you can also extract the exe file SLUS_209.51, patch it (any editor will work as the file is small - just seek the offset 1809050 in the SLUS_209.51, and you'll find the said 60 04 there, so just change it to 00 10 and save changes) and put it back into an ISO.

This was discovered by "crazyc" on ps2newz forum, so much thanks to him.

Soul4ger

Marconelly said:
It takes about 5 minutes of actual work :p The rest is waiting for the game to rip and transferring it to HDD.

Too much work. What's the point of this? Unless you want to steal a copy of VJ. I dunno. Too much work.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Thank you Marco.

If the big 3 do not support games on HDD next gen, then I say they give us 50disc cd changers in the console.

Lazy4life.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have the HDD but own the GCN version of VJ. Perhaps I'll get this one too when it drops further. I dunno. It'd be nice to use the HDD as more than a glorified memory card buffer, though.

Brofist

Soul4ger said:
Too much work. What's the point of this? Unless you want to steal a copy of VJ. I dunno. Too much work.

Probably only took a bit more effort than it did for you to reply twice saying "too much work". And if you've never run a (legit) PS2 game off the HD you don't know what a difference it makes in reduced loading times.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if other games can be compatible with hdloader by a similiar method? (that originally didn't work with hdloader)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Nerevar said:
because lord knows there no reason to load a game from the hard drive instead of a disc.

Just curious, have you ever played morrowind?

For less than 10 minutes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Apparently, the same line of thinking that got the guy to the solution for VJ, does not work with any other game he tried (Gradius V and some others)

Vark

Oh for christ sake. I own 3 goddamn ps2's and over 60 games. I'm sorry if only ever having to have one disc in my console is so god damn convenient. Oh wait, I'm a pirate, hoist me from the yardarm and keelhaul my ass, really.

Marconelly said:
Apparently, the same line of thinking that got the guy to the solution for VJ, does not work with any other game he tried (Gradius V and some others)
If they ever figger out how to get Gradius running off the HD could ya post about it, please? It's like the only game I have that I can't run off the HD, and it annoys the hell outta me.

Oh yeah, I could never get Hot Shots 4 working, either. Boooo.

Miburou

Maybe SH Covenant while you're at it? Loading times aren't that bad, but with random fights, any reduction in loading times has a big effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Miburou

Wario64 said:
Doesnt Covenant have issues with the HDLoader though? Random freezes I think

Yeah, it does, but maybe there's a way to fix that by playing around with exe file like what was done with VJ?

Top Bottom