• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were allowed to do nothing but play videogames...

LakeEarth

This holiday season probably has the most big games ever. I mean ever. I can't believe the huge amount of quality games coming out this season. Now most of us have lives. Us college kids probably barely get an hour of gaming anymore. It's a sad time, really.

My question is... if you were allowed to play a minimum of 8 hours of gaming a day (more if you want, but gives you time to go out and have a life, eat and sleep), and you could own every game for every system... would you have enough time to play all the games you want to play to completion?

I say hell no. Even if I had all the time in the world, there wouldn't be a chance. For Gamecube alone there are a huge about of games I wanna try. Plus there's my giant backlog to go through. But I'm really in a fighter mood, and so there's Third Strike, Mortal Kombat Deception (which is a huge game on it's own), Guilty Gear, the list goes on... and then there's Halo 2... dear GOD then there's GTA:SA... and then there's PRIME! And Half-Life 2. And RE4. And Paper Mario... and whatever million other games I'm forgetting about.

Here's to hoping I have more time in graduate school next year.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The thing is, come january releases are going to slow down massively, allowing for more time to play through the glut of holiday titles.

Jonnyram

I dunno. I think 8 hours a day would be enough, as long as I didn't fall back into the FFXI trap. Most quick action games could be finished in less than a day, and the RPGs could be finished in a week or two. It's nice to dream.

BuddyC

I kinda love the Christmas rush. I build up a huge backlog of quality titles and then I spend the next 3-4 months leisurely working through that backlog, taking my time to enjoy the games since there's really nothing else coming out. And then there's the summer, which allows for even more backlog clearing.

explodet

Schafer said:
The thing is, come january releases are going to slow down massively, allowing for more time to play through the glut of holiday titles.
Very true, but you may not even have to wait that long. Have you seen December releases? The list is tiny compared to all the titles being released in November.

LakeEarth

Maybe I'm easier to please. Cause I just mentioned the AAA games. There are tons of other more minor games coming out too.

Savour highschool kids. Cause unless you become a business major, you got shit for time anymore in college.

3 summers ago I tried to actually do above. I'd wake up and go straight to my games. That summer I didn't have a job so I did was gaming. I lasted about 3 days before my dad forced me to stop wasting my life.

Rhindle

Schafer said:
You obviously haven't looked at the release schedule. :) Jan/Feb '05 are PACKED. RE4, Conker, Jade Empire, Kameo, SC: Chaos Theory ...

mosaic

go eat paint
It's never possible to play even half of what you "want" to. I'm happy if I just end up playing the really really good games and a few quirky ones that interest me. Gone are the days when I feel the need to play every single new release just to be "up to date." Screw that. If the reviews are all great, or the game is weird enough, or anyone I know tells me about it, I'll play. Mostly, I'd rather re-play games I like than sift through mediocre populist crap. I can't understand people that are happy to play a game for two days and then be done with it. Where's the satisfaction? Sometimes I think people feel a social peer-pressure to play every week's new releases.

I remember I used to go nuts on those trade in deals or the TRU buy 2 get 1 deal. Even last year, I bought 4 got 2 free. And you know what? I didn't even have time to get to Castlevania LOI, TMNT, or Beyond Good and Evil until frigging February. Guess which one I liked? I sure don't mind stumbling onto a good game months after release if it costs $20 less.

And I often play games for more than 8 hours a day. Hell, I'm technically paid to do it, and there's still not enough time. So I just stopped trying. Besides the games I'll be paid to finish, I plan to invest my personal time on Paper Mario, will skip GTA: SA (the genre bores me to death), play Halo 2, and perhaps close out the year mucking with DS (even if I think it's a bad hardware concept). Then, when the dust settles, I'll pick up a bunch of well-acclaimed games in January and February for $20-$30 instead of $40-$50.

Anyanka

I think I'd be fine. I have like 10 games coming out the next few months that I need, but I'm sure I'll be able to finish them and play older stuff. 8 hours a day is a lot of time and most games are not THAT long. MKD is a big game, but I've already completed it for both PS2 and Xbox. I also have no backlog right now. I hardly ever do. I play a lot of old games though, especially fighters. I'm playing MK1 for Genesis right now.

aoi tsuki

i think i'd reach a point where i'd be caught up to the current gen of system. But i'd pretty quickly want out of that Twilight Zone episode of a life. i don't want to have to do anything for 8 hours a day, entertaining or otherwise.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
That'd be weird for me. If I'm really enjoying a game, I don't like to plow through it like that, but instead spread it out over more days.

If I'm not into a game so much, I might play it for longer sessions to get it over with sooner. Kind of counter-intuitive.

More than half of the games I play are RPGs. I could never catch up on my backlog without a cessation of new releases for years or six months of nothing but games.

Top Bottom