• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: A Prominent Accessibility Advocate Worked With Studios and Inspired Change. But She Never Actually Existed.

Astray

Cyberpunkd

Not existing is the ultimate disability.

Her pronouns are not/real
No Way What GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Astray

Her pronouns are not/real
I'm still reading through the piece, but I do not joke when I say it's incredibly confusing to try and parse what's going on when every single pronoun used is "they" "their".

It's such a wild story because donations were extracted from people under the pretense of continuing the work of a "deceased" someone who never existed.

There are other hilarious details that scream "made-up" to me, the idea that this person died of a stroke while reviewing a game's accessibility is pure fantasy lol.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So the “Deaf, Muslim, queer, disabled, gamer nerd" girl wasn't real??? Who could have guessed? Preposterous.
When one believes that every person is a special unique snowflake, then this doesn't become as far-fetched.

Your worldview and patience for sifting through facts dictates how you see things.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Coty Craven's virtual life has mostly gone up in smoke.

The articles on https://caniplaythat.com/author/cyclopediabrain/ still exist.

Reading the article it seems this its a case of a progressive nutcase inventing multiple "victim" personas to get attention from progressive nutcases in the gaming industry with a savior complex. Together they can build a virtual world where they both can be happy as long as the truth doesn't get out.

Last edited:

Astray

Reading the article it seems this its a case of a progressive nutcase inventing multiple "victim" personas to get attention from progressive nutcases in the gaming industry with a savior complex. Together they can build a virtual world where they both can be happy as long as the truth doesn't get out.
It seems like an MO of his is to have a pretend "partner", write things out under that pseudonym, funnel that success and attention to his online presence to monetize it, kill off "partner", then repeat.

00_Zer0

I get the need for accessibility options in video games as well as accessories, controllers, or devices tailored to special needs people, but the DEI crowd twisting facts, scaremongering, or outright lying, as in this case, is far more despicable than if no accessibility options were available in a game in the first place.

I looked at a recent article from PC DEI Gaymer and rolled my eyes a bit. The fellow that wrote the article is supposedly legally blind and wanting developers to fundamentally change the core of their games to accommodate his legal blindness. I'm all for accessibility options within the game, and peripherals or accessories to accommodate those with disabilities, but some of this is just as bad as the Sweet Baby mandates that are screwing up many of today's games.

PC Gamer is getting reamed in the comments hard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We have a term for this 'pious fraud'. Funny to see that these people are following in religions footsteps.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“Within months of Craven’s introduction of Banks, Craven claimed Banks had been hospitalized after dropping a KitchenAid mixer on her foot, according to both an anonymous former business associate of Craven's I spoke to, and my own past conversations with Craven. Several hours later, her leg was allegedly amputated, and nearly 48 hours after the first operation, her other leg was amputated as well”

What the fuck am I even reading :pie_roffles:

Astray

“Within months of Craven’s introduction of Banks, Craven claimed Banks had been hospitalized after dropping a KitchenAid mixer on her foot, according to both an anonymous former business associate of Craven's I spoke to, and my own past conversations with Craven. Several hours later, her leg was allegedly amputated, and nearly 48 hours after the first operation, her other leg was amputated as well”

That mixer falling on foot story is fucking wild.

Look how it escalated from a dropped mixer on one foot to both legs getting amputated.

Its some fine detective work for sure
It is, but the writer of the piece is also involved in the story. He cites texts he personally had with the pretend personas.

This story is something else. Creating and maintaining at least three people who never existed sounds so exhausting.

And that tweet about the dog humping the pillow made my day, lol.
He wrote that entire convo by himself to himself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

M. Night Shyamalan wishes he could come up with a plot twist this surprising.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Coty Craven's virtual life has mostly gone up in smoke.

The articles on https://caniplaythat.com/author/cyclopediabrain/ still exist.

These people are fucking mentally ill. You see these wackos all over the place. Every single thing they post is some embellished or totally fictional account where they’re the hero and tragic victim.

Why am I not surprised?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
M. Night Shyamalan wishes he could come up with a plot twist this surprising.
It's often a sign of deception where they will make up something completely improbable - mixer on the foot leads to double leg amputation - so that if they get called on lying they can say why would I make up something so unlikely when I could have made it a car crash or something.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This is a moment (along with Banks’ credentials) when you ran a check. If someone is telling you they graduated from X you check it. It’s not that hard. In fact that’s what they teach in journalism class.

Emmy Awards Thank You GIF by Emmys

Tangerine

It didn't aid her much. I hope a made up lawyer sued KitchinAid. Outrageous.

Robb

Gold Member

blackink-crew-van.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not going to read all that. It's a giant IGN article. But if Banks is a made up person, that's hilarious. That's the digital world for ya. Pretty hard to pull that off meeting face to face the old school way.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So the “Deaf, Muslim, queer, disabled, gamer nerd" girl wasn't real??? Who could have guessed? Preposterous.

I mean if this doesn't describe the gullibility of these idiots, I don't know what does. Let alone the sheer ludicrousness of her own defined labels (she is deaf AND Muslim AND queer AND disabled gamer nerd!), a Muslim named Susan Banks? Sure, why not!

Top Bottom