• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: A Prominent Accessibility Advocate Worked With Studios and Inspired Change. But She Never Actually Existed.

Braag

I wonder if this Craven person faces any charges for leading the gaming industry and the disabled community with these fake personas for 10 years and pocketed most likely quite a bit of money.

Three

[Disclosure: The author of this piece was an editor at Can I Play That from September 2019 through January 2021, and was also the recipient of awards at the Game Accessibility Conference in both 2021, 2022, and 2023.]

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

BlackTron

“Within months of Craven’s introduction of Banks, Craven claimed Banks had been hospitalized after dropping a KitchenAid mixer on her foot, according to both an anonymous former business associate of Craven's I spoke to, and my own past conversations with Craven. Several hours later, her leg was allegedly amputated, and nearly 48 hours after the first operation, her other leg was amputated as well”

What the fuck am I even reading :pie_roffles:

Yeah this is the point of the story it just went way over the top for me. I was laughing my ass off at the KitchenAid mixer hospitalization, and then it went even crazier with amputations. Never, ever drop a KitchenAid mixer on your foot guys HOLY SHIT

Yeah this is the point of the story it just went way over the top for me. I was laughing my ass off at the KitchenAid mixer hospitalization, and then it went even crazier with amputations. Never, ever drop a KitchenAid mixer on your foot guys HOLY SHIT

There were remains of a rotten orange in the mixer, which carried a lethal virus. It quickly spread to the other leg. I don't see what's so strange.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This here is the soyboy from the story, the one behind 3 fake girlfriends with disabilites (man has a type), and he looks exactly like you'd expect 🤡

Coty%20Craven.jpg
Wow, what a twist, those women weren't made up after all. Because there is no way this specimen had to invent fake girlfriends.

Last edited:

Reaseru

Who would had thought? Deception coming from the same people that scream that the very existence of Stellar Blade's EVE somehow "kills women".

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Here's an example of serial deceiver Courtney Craven complaining to Ubisoft about ableist language and successfully making a software company grovel before her. But instead of making the world a better place what Ubisoft was really doing was giving a quick endorphin high that encourages these people to complain more and more - because it's an enormous ego boost to make these big companies change their products because of your petty, fake demands.

4Q8LI6W.jpeg

"Courtney Craven, the founder of gaming accessibility site Can I Play That?, found one troubling issue with the game, however: a description of a character who was badly burned as a child, and now lives in fear of people seeing her "disfigured face."

Assassin's Creed Valhalla's Creed Valhalla

"I didn't include this in my Assassin's Creed Valhalla impressions piece but it's equally important to address. This is a character description in the game," they wrote. "It's absolutely unacceptable to talk about facial differences this way. Writers for games and otherwise need to do better."

Unfortunately, although not unexpectedly, the reaction to Craven's tweet was largely negative, leading them to protect their tweets. Ubisoft took a more understanding approach, however."

In other words, regular Twitter users saw the absurdity of the whole thing and mocked her, but the asswipes at Ubisoft immediately caved in to the demands of a crazy person.

The gaming industry....maaan...So many once great companies destroyed by a virus that's mutating them beyond recognition.

Just burn it all to the ground at this point, we've gone beyond parody.

The new crash has to be so big that 80% of the gaming landscape today gets yeeeted off the planet. We need a real purge.

Hunnybun

“Within months of Craven’s introduction of Banks, Craven claimed Banks had been hospitalized after dropping a KitchenAid mixer on her foot, according to both an anonymous former business associate of Craven's I spoke to, and my own past conversations with Craven. Several hours later, her leg was allegedly amputated, and nearly 48 hours after the first operation, her other leg was amputated as well”

Amazing lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This here is the soyboy from the story, the one behind 3 fake girlfriends with disabilites (man has a type), and he looks exactly like you'd expect 🤡

Coty%20Craven.jpg

It's even weirder when you know Courtney/Cotey is a transman (female to male). So she/he has invented multiple imaginary disabled queer girlfriends who figure heavily in her social media postings and who co-write articles on accessibility in games. This is while she was working for Epic as a product manager and producer at Epic Games focused on accessibility and captioning. Now imagine the awkward conversations at work when her colleagues politely inquire about the two former girl friends who have supposedly died, etc. I bet that for the entirety of her employment at Epic Games Courtney/Cotey must have lived in fear of being found out because she couldn't keep her lies straight.

It's even weirder when you know Courtney/Cotey is a transman (female to male). So she/he has invented multiple imaginary disabled queer girlfriends who figure heavily in her social media postings and who co-write articles on accessibility in games. This is while she was working for Epic as a product manager and producer at Epic Games focused on accessibility and captioning. Now imagine the awkward conversations at work when her colleagues politely inquire about the two former girl friends who have supposedly died, etc. I bet that for the entirety of her employment at Epic Games Courtney/Cotey must have lived in fear of being found out because she couldn't keep her lies straight.
I think you need to understand that people like Courtney didn't decide to create multiple fake girlfriends out of the blue, this is behavior of someone who has probably been doing this their entire lives and NEVER faced the consequences for lying, even if they were caught. She is a genuine sociopath who would have a lie ready for every circumstance without a second thought. Even if she was caught, she would be ready to blame society for her lies (claiming that she had to make up life stories in order to succeed in a patriarchal society that hates her existence) and blame the people who caught her in the lie as part of the problem.

She was never in fear of getting caught because the orthodoxy would support her regardless of the truth, and Courtney is fully aware of that. The HR department from Epic Games would have defended her and say that her lies were for the "greater good," despite the fact that she has scammed people out of untold amounts of money. The IGDA would defend her and try to make similar excuses.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

that_escalated_quickly.gif

I went into the article expecting to find fraud, instead I walked into an Onion article.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I get the need for accessibility options in video games as well as accessories, controllers, or devices tailored to special needs people, but the DEI crowd twisting facts, scaremongering, or outright lying, as in this case, is far more despicable than if no accessibility options were available in a game in the first place.

I looked at a recent article from PC DEI Gaymer and rolled my eyes a bit. The fellow that wrote the article is supposedly legally blind and wanting developers to fundamentally change the core of their games to accommodate his legal blindness. I'm all for accessibility options within the game, and peripherals or accessories to accommodate those with disabilities, but some of this is just as bad as the Sweet Baby mandates that are screwing up many of today's games.

PC Gamer is getting reamed in the comments hard.

It's a weird article, like this guy talks about how he wants games to accommodate him more yet he also describes playing many of the biggest games on the planet. He is just complaining that he can't play it exactly the way he wants it. One part is insanely specific, he chooses to play as a melee character in Cyberpunk, which is totally feasible, but he drops the game when he can't find a good weapon. So, for good accessibility, devs need to make sure good loot is available quickly? Is this mfer serious? He also complains about how some games have roles or whatever that require a skill set he doesn’t have, does he stop for a second and realize that means that people with that skill set get to enjoy that part of the game? He’s not the center of the universe.

There is a critique out there about the Americans With Disabilities Act, and what started out as a reasonable and well intentioned effort to help make the world more accessible to people who have trouble navigating in it (something that probably 98% of people support) has become a racket. It's one of those things you can't realy say in public, because it sounds like you're wanting to screw over disabled people, but reading articles like that remind me of those critiques.

Last edited:

foamdino

There's nothing wrong with game devs adding accessibility options to their games - I applaud these efforts (as I make use of some of them, screw tap 'X' a billion times to interact with something, 'long hold' is *better* for me).

That said, inventing fake personas to grift with is outrageously grim. I think this person needs to be considered a sociopath - they are exploiting people based on the natural sympathy people have for folks with these challenges. Good journalism from IGN, but I'm surprised that the food mixer story wasn't the immediate tell that something was crooked!

Top Bottom