• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Alien Hominid review

http://cube.ign.com/articles/564/564984p1.html
Closing Comments
There's honestly not much more to write about Alien Hominid. It's new and it's a shooter. Many people don't need anything else. For those that do, the reasons why it's good are so simple to understand that it's practically redundant to say anything other than it looks good, it's cute and funny, the bosses are interesting, the control is tight, and the game is intense. It's easy to appreciate the aforementioned qualities because they're the ones that have been making great games for the last twenty years. If you're capable of fondly remembering your favorite shooters as attractive, tight, and interesting, you'll fondly remember this, too.

The truth is out there. Believe in the supernatural and buy Alien Hominid if you're a PC freebie junkie looking for more or if you're just into fun. You can ride a Sasquatch and it only costs $20. What's there to lose?

-- Ivan sulic

links :: guide faqs codes boards previews reviews news features

Ratings: Description:
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
There's a full mini-game with an editor and the whole menu system is cleverly presented as an interactive alien PDA. Very cohesive and very cool.
8.0 Graphics
Technically it looks like an advanced Flash title with style. Explosions are smooth and detailed, but when they're not spurting blood, characters animate stiffly and the game is a bit simplistic.
7.0 Sound
Old school tunes compliment some very amusing cartoon gurgles and squeaks.
8.5 Gameplay
Tight control and interesting bosses are only ever marred by the occasional framerate drop and the cluttered environments.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
It's a shooter and it's short, but the mini-game with editor provides nearly endless replay value. Regardless, the mini-game isn't the main game.
OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

There's honestly not much more to write about Alien Hominid. It's new and it's a shooter. Many people don't need anything else. For those that do, the reasons why it's good are so simple to understand that it's practically redundant to say anything other than it looks good, it's cute and funny, the bosses are interesting, the control is tight, and the game is intense. It's easy to appreciate the aforementioned qualities because they're the ones that have been making great games for the last twenty years. If you're capable of fondly remembering your favorite shooters as attractive, tight, and interesting, you'll fondly remember this, too.

The truth is out there. Believe in the supernatural and buy Alien Hominid if you're a PC freebie junkie looking for more or if you're just into fun. You can ride a Sasquatch and it only costs $20. What's there to lose?

-- Ivan sulic

I've read some poorly worded shit from IGN before, but this really takes the cake. Who the fuck is this Ivan guy anyway?

Blame!

Ivan's writing sucks, period. I think he used to write for 1up.com and the quality was the same verbal diahrrea we see now on IGN. The guy really needs to take some classes.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
kaching said:
Damn...I forgot this was out this week too...

It's not this week. It's next week. Buy this instead of MGS3: Snakes on a Plane. Send a message to Kojima that we won't support his shroom habit if he keeps making us play as emasculated high school teenagers in his big budget productions.

NotMSRP

I'm starting to think the IGN resume application process is a joke.

Anyone know for sure which version is the best? Why?

Someone did mention GC version months back but never told why.

M3wThr33

Banned
NotMSRP said:
I'm starting to think the IGN resume application process is a joke.

Anyone know for sure which version is the best? Why?

Someone did mention GC version months back but never told why.
Because Tom Fulp is a Nintendood, or at least he seemed that way when I met up with him some years back at E3. (Still got Newgrounds stickers left over, 1 on my backpack)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I didn't quite see what was so downright terrible about that closing statement -- but whatever.

lexi

Banned
Did that piece of shit even go through editing? Christ, you see better writing on the worst of the worst fansites.

Fifty

Ivan Sulic? More like Ivan Suckit

The guy writes like a moron (wait for it........."so do you") and he's an editor at one of the two biggest gaming websites in the english speaking world? What is wrong with IGN? (wait for it....."everything")

Blah! Does anyone know any Canadian retailers that'll have this? It's not listed on Amazon.ca or Futureshop.ca.

I hope EB is going to have it in stock.

Prospero

SomeDude said:
Just because it is a 2d game doesn't mean it should automatically get a 10.

No one here is complaning about the score--we're complaining because passages like this are appearing on a website that is supposedly run by professionals:

For the unfamiliar, Alien Hominid was originally free and for the computer. Back in August of 2002 the prototype game was released on Newgrounds.com. It has since been downloaded approximately six million times. Now you're going to pay for it and be happy! Don't fret, it's not the same game. Alien Hominid for consoles features new everything.

Like the rest of the review, that reads like a child wrote it.

Azih

Alien Hominid for consoles features new everything.
No, no no no, no no no no no no no this can't have gotten through the editor.

Does IGN even have an editor? They need a god damn editor.

Edit: In fact scratch that, any decent editor would be broken by the end of the first week, first day if this Ivan dude submitted something.

Unless of course the editor is a sadistic bastard who enjoys ripping drivel to shreds. That'd be interesting.

Madrin

I'll go ahead and sound like a moron: what is so bad about this review? I found it boring, but I don't think it's horrible. Was it bad grammatically? Factually flawed? Someone please explain instead of just saying the guy's an idiot, because I can't help but think Ivan's prior blunders are influencing everyone's opinion a bit.

ge-man

I couldn't get through the review myself. Furthermore, he glossed over features as well. I'm still trying to find out if I can run the game in progressive scan.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Madrin said:
I'll go ahead and sound like a moron: what is so bad about this review? I found it boring, but I don't think it's horrible. Was it bad grammatically? Factually flawed? Someone please explain instead of just saying the guy's an idiot, because I can't help but think Ivan's prior blunders are influencing everyone's opinion a bit.
I'm curious as well. Are we talking about issues any worse than what is normally seen in IGN reviews?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Madrin said:

these guys are just MGS3 fanboyz and are Ivan Suckit haterz becuzz he likes to report about teh Halo2 more.

Prospero

kaching said:
I'm curious as well. Are we talking about issues any worse than what is normally seen in IGN reviews?

Yes, we are. Let's look at the final paragraph before the closing comments.

Ivan Sulic said:
Again, the game doesn't last all that long, but then it is just $20. (1) And, if you do finish, you can still enjoy the PDA (2), which offers around 200 levels of single screen (3) platforming reminiscent of a rudimentary Out of this World or some kind of ultra old school (4) Montezuma's Revenge / Prince of Persia thing (5). It's presented wonderfully (like the rest of the game), and it's very addicting. (6) I've personally only reached level 25, but I plan on making my way to at least 100. (7) The game even includes an editor that allows its players to create their own mini-game scenarios. (8) Very good stuff. (9)

(1) Incorrect usage of the word "then," which should be used to signify a progression of events; this word should be eliminated entirely ("...but it is just $20"). Also, the game lists for $30.

(2) What on earth is this "PDA"? How does it relate to the main game--is it accessed separately from the main menu, or within the main game itself, or is it unlockable, or what? This comes out of nowhere, and it isn't mentioned until this paragraph.

(3) I'd hyphenate "single-screen" here, but that depends on IGN's in-house style sheet (let's assume, for the moment, that they have one).

(4) "some kind of ultra old school": I don't even know what to do with this. Maybe you could thow in a hyphen between "ultra" and "old", or "old" and "school." This phrase should probably be eliminated completely, as it only makes the reviewer's opinion seem more vague.

(5) I've played all three of the games mentioned here, yet this sentence does nothing to tell me what the nature of this "PDA game" is, other than a basic platformer. I'm more confused than I was before. If I hadn't played any of these games, this sentence would nevertheless be completely useless to me, as there is not even a brief description of the "PDA's" game mechanic.

(6) I'd replace "addicting" with "addictive" to increase readability.

(7) This tells me nothing at all about the "PDA", and only helps to discredit the reviewer's qualifications to talk about the game with any authority.

(8) "mini-game scenarios": this should be replaced with something simpler, like "levels" or "stages."

(9) Fragment--get rid of it. (If the rest of the paragraph had been written more clearly, I'd've been able to tell for myself that the PDA was "very good stuff.")

I picked this paragraph to examine because it has relatively few errors when compared with the rest of the article, and I don't have enough time to line-edit the whole thing.

Pakkidis

You guys do know that this isn't academic literature but about a guy who is reviewing a game. If you look at any review you will find flaws and mistakes, but to bash the poor fellow is un-called for. Some people need to lighten up a little. The review he wrote is just fine, he gets the main points across and if you can't understand what he wrote then maybe you shouldn't be bashing him in the first place.

ge-man

Pakkidis@hotmail.com said:
You guys do know that this isn't academic literature but about a guy who is reviewing a game. If you look at any review you will find flaws and mistakes, but to bash the poor fellow is un-called for. Some people need to lighten up a little. The review he wrote is just fine, he gets the main points across and if you can't understand what he wrote then maybe you shouldn't be bashing him in the first place.

It's supposed to be a professional site. Maybe you can decipher the mess, but I could hardly get through the errors.

lexi

Banned
Seconded, I can usually tolerate occasional slips in grammar, but the review in question could probably be used in a 7th grade quiz, as an example of crap.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Prospero said:
Holy crap. Not only do you have entirely too much time on your hands, but your editing comments/corrections are laughably nit-picky and completely unnecessary. Seriously, can't you guys find anything real to substantiate your claims that Ivan writes like a seven-year-old?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Prospero said:
That does nothing by itself to establish his writing as worse than what's the norm at IGN. In addition, some of the examples of poor writing that you identify are stylistic choices for the individual writer to make or, as you point out in one case, possibly based on following what is codified in the publication's style sheet.

Prospero said:

(1) Incorrect usage of the word "then," which should be used to signify a progression of events; this word should be eliminated entirely ("...but it is just $20"). Also, the game lists for $30.

(2) What on earth is this "PDA"? How does it relate to the main game--is it accessed separately from the main menu, or within the main game itself, or is it unlockable, or what? This comes out of nowhere, and it isn't mentioned until this paragraph.

(3) I'd hyphenate "single-screen" here, but that depends on IGN's in-house style sheet (let's assume, for the moment, that they have one).

(4) "some kind of ultra old school": I don't even know what to do with this. Maybe you could thow in a hyphen between "ultra" and "old", or "old" and "school." This phrase should probably be eliminated completely, as it only makes the reviewer's opinion seem more vague.

(5) I've played all three of the games mentioned here, yet this sentence does nothing to tell me what the nature of this "PDA game" is, other than a basic platformer. I'm more confused than I was before. If I hadn't played any of these games, this sentence would nevertheless be completely useless to me, as there is not even a brief description of the "PDA's" game mechanic.

(6) I'd replace "addicting" with "addictive" to increase readability.

(7) This tells me nothing at all about the "PDA", and only helps to discredit the reviewer's qualifications to talk about the game with any authority.

(8) "mini-game scenarios": this should be replaced with something simpler, like "levels" or "stages."

(9) Fragment--get rid of it. (If the rest of the paragraph had been written more clearly, I'd've been able to tell for myself that the PDA was "very good stuff.")

I picked this paragraph to examine because it has relatively few errors when compared with the rest of the article, and I don't have enough time to line-edit the whole thing.

Outstanding breakdown. Too bad you had to trouble yourself with spelling out the obvious.

You know what? This bullshit attitude of "hey it's only a game review so it doesn't have to be written well" is what's hurting game journalism the most today, and is the real reason why things may never get better. I guess it will always be shit if people like living in shit.

Blame!

MarkRyan said:
Holy crap. Not only do you have entirely too much time on your hands, but your editing comments/corrections are laughably nit-picky and completely unnecessary. Seriously, can't you guys find anything real to substantiate your claims that Ivan writes like a seven-year-old?

yup, this pretty much sums up why IGN has fucking SHIT for writers.

find something real to substantiate our claims? i thought prospero did a good job finding something like 9 REAL REASONS.

for more ivan suckit: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3110189&did=1

MC Safety

The best parts of that review:

1. Where he references the eminent sages Spence D. and Roper.

2. "Why all the dying? Ain't me some kind of pro-fesstion-al gamer?"

You do know this guy is getting paid to type up that review? IGN isn't some fansite (arguable) but is supposed to be a "professional" video game site and is being run like a business. There's a certain level of english and grammar comprehension that should be expected IGN's staff and it's readership. I wouldn't give 2 shits about Ivan's review if it were from a fansite but it's not :-\

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
FortNinety said:
Too bad you had to trouble yourself with spelling out the obvious.
Too bad he went to the trouble of answering a question I didn't ask. The inadequacies of Ivan's writing weren't in dispute. The question was, why is this particular piece drawing more fire for it, esp. given that the same complaints are levelled at IGN prose in general?

Soul4ger

To the people who say, "Oh my God it's just a video game review," to you I say:

Oh my God shut the fuck up.

Because of you, these reviewers, who are being paid, can think that what they do isn't all that important. Way to justify their negligence by acting like a moron. There are plenty of people who are more qualified than the ones writing at "professional" sites, and who would eat babies to take their places, and then you just say, "u take thingz 2 srsly." Shut the fuck up.

Top Bottom