• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: DS in US before Japan?

How, exactly, will fillrate help a lack of perspective correction, absent texture precision, and a lack of proper filtering? It might be able to fake comparable translucency effects in software and handle higher color depth and higher resolution textures but outside of marginally improved special effects, I ain't seein' the major difference in the end results, especially when the DS 3D pipeline has so many fundamental regressions.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kobun Heat said:
Nintendo eliminates access times.
Okay, so you're saying Nintendo works around the physical limitations of the media to eliminate the perception of access times. Is that accurate? Do they do that for 3rd party games too?

Culex

Banned
kaching said:
Okay, so you're saying Nintendo works around the physical limitations of the media to eliminate the perception of access times. Is that accurate? Do they do that for 3rd party games too?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here. Flash/ROM based media like that in the DS/N64 are infinitely faster loading than disc based. That's a fact. I believe that the only games ever to have loading time on the N64 were Shadowman and Hexen.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
How, exactly, will fillrate help a lack of perspective correction, absent texture precision, and a lack of proper filtering? It might be able to fake comparable translucency effects in software and handle higher color depth and higher resolution textures but outside of marginally improved special effects, I ain't seein' the major difference in the end results, especially when the DS 3D pipeline has so many fundamental regressions.
Well the problem with comparing what you're seein' currently is it's not really representaive of what the final hardware is capable of. Especially when making broad comparisons to PS1, many of which had the benefit being later generation products.... comparing something like Crime Crackers or Tohshinden to the current DS demos might be fairer.

Looking at the raw specs, DS seems outdo PS1 in all areas by a wide margin besides possibly audio and screen resolution. It's also potentially capable of better 2D than Saturn, which is a nice possibility to ruminate over. I'd agree though the perspective correction hurts overall, but really do you think those imperfections will be so apparent on a 3 inch screen?

BuddyC

Culex said:
I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here. Flash/ROM based media like that in the DS/N64 are infinitely faster loading than disc based. That's a fact. I believe that the only games ever to have loading time on the N64 were Shadowman and Hexen.
Wipeout 64 had loading times as well, caused by the amount of time it took to uncompress the music.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lost Weekend - does that explain why we see you in PSP threads?

It's not surprising that you can't seem to allow for the possibility that, though I generally stay away from the DS topics, I might have interest in the DS itself since you'd rather poke fun at me instead of explain to someone like Culex why a phrase like "infinitely faster loading" is nonsensical. Condone the overexuberant ignorance if you like. I guess solidarity is more important than awareness. That kind of attitude does wonders to win over a potential DS customer like me...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Smiley=humor, kaching (unless it is an angry smiley, which means roar, or something) That's all internet 101 stuff, my friend.

That said, solid state is faster than disc.

kaching said:

I'm saying they do quite a bit to cut down on access times, more than anybody else in the industry. This is a combination of hardware and software solutions - choosing the right hardware for it, then polishing the games.

Do they do it for third parties? I know that Nintendo works with third parties on their games; for example, one of Aonuma's jobs used to be to go and work with US third parties to help them polish their stuff. So, yes, I do think so.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've been trading in games for store credit in anticipation of the DS :)

It will be mine on launch day, and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay much for it. I have $100 in credit at the moment. Hope to have 150 by nov.

Kon Tiki

Banned
game.jpg

What is this?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
LW: I'm well aware that you like to portray everything as a joke. Doesn't change a bit of what I said.

Kobun:
I'm saying they do quite a bit to cut down on access times, more than anybody else in the industry. This is a combination of hardware and software solutions - choosing the right hardware for it, then polishing the games.
I do appreciate this, but that doesn't change the fact that access times remain and that, if you want to present the illusion that they don't exist, you'll be engaging in specific game design choices that you might not otherwise have to make. I think we'd all be more than a little surprised at how different game design could be if there truly were no physical access times (any data, any time, instantly).

Darth:
It's not as if its the only consideration and your deluding yourself if you truly think this is a "first", or unwarranted for that matter. The attitude of the fans is certainly going to dictate the content of a platform to some extent. Also, seeing as gaming is not an entirely introverted hobby (for me at least), it does help when you know that the platform you're considering is one where you'll be able to readily find birds of a feather to converse or play with. Those things are, of course, not dealbreakers either by themselves or considered together, but they certainly aren't totally lacking in influence either.

GDGF

Soothsayer
kaching said:
LW: I'm well aware that you like to portray everything as a joke. Doesn't change a bit of what I said.

Nor does it change the intent of my original statement. Take it as you want to take it.
Anyway, no more derailment. More DS talk!

kaching said:
Darth:
It's not as if its the only consideration and your deluding yourself if you truly think this is a "first", or unwarranted for that matter. The attitude of the fans is certainly going to dictate the content of a platform to some extent. Also, seeing as gaming is not an entirely introverted hobby (for me at least), it does help when you know that the platform you're considering is one where you'll be able to readily find birds of a feather to converse or play with. Those things are, of course, not dealbreakers either by themselves or considered together, but they certainly aren't totally lacking in influence either.

Well good for you then. While I do find it somewhat silly myself, but only because I've never done such a thing. I usually play games with family and friends of which I've already made, if that's the case. But I think mentioned once before Im much more of a solo gamer I guess so I guess taht would be why such a thought sounds rather silly. Then again, I don't understand how basing such judgments on a group of people is really a smart thing to do. Then again I'm not one to say.

And I must honestly say this is the first I've ever heard of someone taking fans as a factor for a purchase. It doesn't even come to my mind when I buy anything for that matter. Thena gain, I've always been known to not really take other's opinions into consideration when I make purchases and whatnot. Eh I dunno.

Now please, do not take this post as me calling your thinking "silly" or "not smart", as you know that's not the case. I'm just ignorant on the matter and that's how it comes off to me as I've never really thought, or had to think of such things. Heh, I wonder if many people do such a thing.

btrboyev

how do we know that the DS cannot do perspectific correcting and such??? Just because there wasn't any on the demo's doesn't there won't on the final games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lost Weekend said:
Nor does it change the intent of my original statement.
Right, a joke at my expense. As long as its a joke for somebody, it justifies the smiley, right? :)

Darth Wufei said:
Now please, do not take this post as me calling your thinking "silly" or "not smart", as you know that's not the case.
Err...it'd help the credibility of your plea if you hadn't used the word "silly" TWICE in the first paragraph ;)

Would you agree that the games that appear on a platform are at least partially influenced by fans?

If Yes, does it not follow that if your tastes do not match those of the fans, then your interest in the platform will be at least partially diminished by the proportion of games that cater to them?

It's not a judgment on the fans, it's simply an acknowledgment of differing tastes/priorities. Your own reservations about the PSP are a perfect example of this.

kaching said:
Err...it'd help the credibility of your plea if you hadn't used the word "silly" TWICE in the first paragraph ;)
I'm sorry that merely saying what my true intention is, isn't enough for you. Stop looking for personal attacks when they aren't there. I completley stated why I said such things. If I wanted them to come off that way, I wouldn't have even typed that last paragraph. You're being a little too childish here.

Would you agree that the games that appear on a platform are at least partially influenced by fans?
This is somewhat true.

If Yes, does it not follow that if your tastes do not match those of the fans, then your interest in the platform will be at least partially diminished by the proportion of games that cater to them?

It's not a judgment on the fans, it's simply an acknowledgment of differing tastes/priorities. Your own reservations about the PSP are a perfect example of this.
Nope, it doesn't follow. See the PS2 and PC. Hell even the GameCube and Xbox have many bases covered if you're looking for a genre. So like I said, fans don't come into play when I purchase games. I buy a game that interests me, and I buy a system that appeals to me. And my reservations abut the PSP? WHat reservations? I have some issues with the hardware, and is this not the case with you and the DS? I don't have any issues with the games. In fact, I looking forward to Tales of Eternia and hope Namco brings it over here. If they do, I'm certainly picking up my copy.

Oh and, alright, let's make sure Lost Weekend knows you weren't trying to judge him, or place some undefined label on him with such comments.

Top Bottom