• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Madworld review - 9.0

Mamesj

Banned
Captain Chaos said:
IGN like or not is a huge videogaming website, read by millions of people every day and owned by Rupert Murdoch. You think some piss ant reviewer wasnt told what to score?

There's millions of dollars at stake.

You mean, as in what to score it? I'm not wholly invested in reviews for that reason, so I wouldn't rule it out. Just look at Jeff Gerstman.

and speaking of him, I'm curious what the Giant Bombcast thinks :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
IGN wasn't the lowest score or the lowest major publication score on Wii Music and I'm not sure what's so hard to believe about the idea that they actually deeply disliked the game.

Disclaimer- I don't own Wii Music and never will

-I think they crossed the line with Wii Music. Both in podcasts and in articles they basically begged people to not buy the game. I don't like it when they beg people to buy stuff, and I don't really like it when they beg people not to. Their score was enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This 480i/p bullshit is annoying. After 10 minutes of playing most people with neither notice nor care.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I shall borrow a Wii and rent this.

Hate me GAF. Muhahaha!

As for the Nintendo side of IGN...well, nevermind.

Link Man

Banned
Captain Chaos said:
IGN like or not is a huge videogaming website, read by millions of people every day and owned by Rupert Murdoch. You think some piss ant reviewer wasnt told what to score?

Ahh, I see. Then we can't take IGN seriously, at least if it's run in the same fashion as Fox News.

Blimblim said:
It more than likely means the game runs at 60 fps and uses field rendering. Basically it runs at at 720x240 resolution, and then interlaces the fields to recreate a full resolution image. Many early PS2 titles did this.
480p would require to use full resolution framebuffers, and so use twice more VRAM.

What!!!!!

Somebody please confirm this is true?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Chaos said:

You're delusional.

edit: unless you were being ironic and I read this quote out of context

Gino

JJConrad said:
This review reminds me of Matt's DK64 review. It was a cause, not a critique.

I'm also torn between my support for Platnium and my disgust for IGN (mostly Matt). My only real interest in this game is due to who made it, but I can't let Matt assume any credit for the game's success. (Not that it'll have much... its a new IP in a dead genre). I now feel obligated to buy Sonic and the Black Night before I can buy this. :(

... what?

JJConrad
Sucks at viral marketing
(Today, 03:27 PM)
Reply | Quote

Vagabundo said:
Jesus GAF, what the hell are yous arguing about?

It's like someone let a bag of ferrets lose in a sweet shop.

Obviously, since a Wii game got a great score, there must be some conspiracy behind it.

Ulairi

Banned
Captain Chaos said:

You're nuts. I've written for IGN, I've published reviews for IGN. I never once had anyone tell me how to review a game or what I could or couldn't say. Take off the tin-foil hat.

Gino

Tain said:
No More Heroes looks plenty of fun. Not when you play it, though.
I think a large majority of NMH's owners would disagree with you on that.

NMH's was awesome even though it had flaws. Just like Killer 7 was awesome with it's flaws.

Amir0x

Banned
Rez said:
This 480i/p bullshit is annoying. After 10 minutes of playing most people with neither notice nor care.

Why would they stop noticing OR caring? It is EXTREMELY distracting on any decent television, a massive difference. If it made a difference from someone from the start (and that's up to the individual), it's not going to stop mattering later. It's particularly frustrating because these games look so atrocious on my HDTV I have to unplug and dig out the old SDTV piece of shit just to stand it.

I'm going to do it because MAD WORLD will still be rad, but it's still a big legitimate issue. Don't make claims about how people will notice the issue or not.

AceBandage said:
Technically, since you made the baseless accusation of Rupert saying what score Madworld should get, the burden of proof is on you.

hmmmm, <bites lip>

see me at E3 and I'll let you in on the moneyhatting inside of the videogame industry.

So will freaks like me who get a hard-on whenever they see the cover-art of God Hand enjoy this game?

Amir0x said:
Why would they stop noticing OR caring? It is EXTREMELY distracting on any decent television, a massive difference. If it made a difference from someone from the start (and that's up to the individual), it's not going to stop mattering later. It's particularly frustrating because these games look so atrocious on my HDTV I have to unplug and dig out the old SDTV piece of shit just to stand it.

I'm going to do it because MAD WORLD will still be rad, but it's still a big legitimate issue. Don't make claims about how people will notice the issue or not.

Really, a 50% decrease in vertical resolution is pretty significant. This ain't no halo 3 640 lines vs 720 lines thing, it's 480 lines versus 240 lines.

Mamesj

Banned
Ulairi said:
You're nuts. I've written for IGN, I've published reviews for IGN. I never once had anyone tell me how to review a game or what I could or couldn't say. Take off the tin-foil hat.

I love it when the game journos flip out and say how nuts people are if they're skeptical of reviews. Gerstman-gate, "oscar-worthy," Assassin's Creed + other review embargos while one 9.0+ review goes up elsewhere -- these are reasons to be skeptical.

though no, I don't think Rupert Murdoch himself is holding a gun to Matt C.'s head. I'm just saying, there's some cause to worry.

Gino

I wish it was 480p because most 480i games look blurry on my LCD TV but I have a nice CRT up in my room if it's to bad.

Should be ok though... we'll see I'm buying it no matter what.

Model 500

Stumpokapow said:
IGN wasn't the lowest score or the lowest major publication score on Wii Music and I'm not sure what's so hard to believe about the idea that they actually deeply disliked the game.

Just a side note, no, it's not hard to "believe" considering that they didn't even have a clue what the game was all about :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dark10x said:
Oh, come on, 480p doesn't make a significant difference unless your display does a poor job de-interlacing.
So, basically most displays out there then.

Blimblim said:
It more than likely means the game runs at 60 fps and uses field rendering. Basically it runs at at 720x240 resolution, and then interlaces the fields to recreate a full resolution image. Many early PS2 titles did this.
480p would require to use full resolution framebuffers, and so use twice more VRAM.
Thanks for the real answer, I wonder if this is so.

Amir0x

Banned
Model 500 said:
Just a side note, no, it's not hard to "believe" considering that they didn't even have a clue what the game was all about
Yes, they didn't get Wii Music.

I thought you Wii Music fans stopped being embarrassing fantards ages ago, I guess not. But this is a Mad World topic, so let's keep it on topic.

Captain Chaos said:
hmmmm, <bites lip>

see me at E3 and I'll let you in on the moneyhatting inside of the videogame industry.

We all know about Lamespot's money hatting, but I have a hard time believing this happens in the majority of review journals.
And especially in one like IGN, where they rate quite a few "hardcore" games lower than other sites.

Haunted

AceBandage said:
We all know about Lamespot's money hatting, but I have a hard time believing this happens in the majority of review journals.
And especially in one like IGN, where they rate quite a few "hardcore" games lower than other sites.
:lol :lol

Tain

Amir0x said:
But this is a Mad World topic, so let's keep it on topic.

but i wanna talk about how bad NMH is! check it:

Gino said:
NMH's was awesome even though it had flaws. Just like Killer 7 was awesome with it's flaws.

NMH is an awesome looking game that is an absolute chore to flail through. Killer7 is an awesome looking game that is enjoyable to figure out and shoot through.

Vagabundo

480i games look a little blurry on my projector, but I'll deal with it.

And there are things that you do get used too. You do stop noticing things after a while.

[EDIT] I've a funny feeling that this will not matter with madworld, considering the style.[/EDIT]

Model 500

Amir0x said:
Yes, they didn't get Wii Music.

I thought you Wii Music fans stopped being embarrassing fantards ages ago, I guess not. But this is a Mad World topic, so let's keep it on topic.

Hahaha, what a joke! Yeah, they didn't, and the proof is all around the Official Thread. Remember what happened in our PM conversation? Yeah, you don't because you want to pretend it never existed, despite my continuous attempts to get you to address my points. Wii Music is excellent and you don't even know it. I'm still available ANYTIME if you want to discuss the game in detail. I can help you man. :lol

EDIT:

But this is a Mad World topic, so let's keep it on topic.

Agreed, and I have enough common sense to stop this here and continue in PM, no matter what you reply. I will only report later whether or not you ever got back to me in PM. That will tell a lot about you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

See, I was under the assumption that most would be playing it on an SDTV. My bad.

Model 500 said:
Hahaha, what a joke! Yeah, they didn't, and the proof is all around the Official Thread. Remember what happened in our PM conversation? Yeah, you don't because you want to pretend it never existed, despite my continuous attempts to get you to address my points. Wii Music is excellent and you don't even know it. I'm still available ANYTIME if you want to discuss the game in detail. I can help you man. :lol
35laxwn.jpg

480i games look like shit on my TV. I can't believe this game runs in 480i. Sorry SEGA/Platinum, I'll keep my $50 and use it on a game that wasn't designed to run on a 10 year old television.

HK-47 said:
What game is like Madworld...God Hand and dot dot dot

I was speaking broadly about "high-octane" action games. I played three solid hours of Left 4 Dead and GoW 2 several weeks ago to decide if I should buy a second console, and I was surprised at how much of an attention span is needed to play these games. That is to say, there is so little to do that I find it hard to focus. I kept asking, "How do I have fun?" And my cousin replied, "Just shoot stuff." So, yeah. I imagine my experience with Madworld will be the same way.

Nirolak said:
If you really want games like this to get funded, you have to support them. Despite what you may wish, publishers don't have to do anything.

Actually, I don't want games like this to be funded.

And you're right, developers and publishers don't necessarily have to do anything. When I said earlier that they would eventually have to primarily support DS/Wii, what I mean is that it is in their best interests, artistically and economically, in my opinion, to do so. But yes, they don't have to do what is in their best interests.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Maybe if it was 2000, but I don't think that assumption is very good anymore.
True, it was the smartest thing I've ever thought.

Personally, I just can't stand seeing what should be beautiful Wii games being destroyed by HDTVs, so I keep one of my old SDTVs plugged in with my Wii hooked up to it.

TheGrayGhost said:
I was speaking broadly about "high-octane" action games. I played three solid hours of Left 4 Dead and GoW 2 several weeks ago to decide if I should buy a second console, and I was surprised at how much of an attention span is needed to play these games. That is to say, there is so little to do that I find it hard to focus. I kept asking, "How do I have fun?" And my cousin replied, "Just shoot stuff." So, yeah. I imagine my experience with Madworld will be the same way.
smh

Amir0x

Banned
how much attention span is needed to play L4D and Gears of War 2?

Do you have ADHD or some shit? I can't imagine why you'd need to have empty-no-attention gameplay, but Mad World and L4D ... these games are not exactly mentally taxing.

Rez said:
True, it was the smartest thing I've ever thought.

Personally, I just can't stand seeing what should be beautiful Wii games being destroyed by HDTVs, so I keep one of my old SDTVs plugged in with my Wii hooked up to it.

I used to do that, but my roommates would fuck with my system when it was plugged into the crap TV so I keep all my consoles on my one TV now.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Mamesj said:
I won't tell him you bought it.

this is the whole fucking problem, though.

It's really simple, people:

DO YOU LIKE GAME?

IF YES, BUY

IF NO, DON'T BUY
That's silly! Under your cause I wouldn't buy the game. Where does that leave Platinum?

If it was just for the sake of teaching other 3rd parties what to make on Wii, I could forget about this game. 3rd parties are not teachable. If this game sells great, the only thing they'd do is try to make a clone of it... and since none of them have any desire (or talent) in this genre of game, all they'd do is decide that Wii gamers must want black-and-white party games.

No. Clearly, the best action for my cause is to also buy Sonic... then:

- IGN's "influence" is neutralised.
- Platinum gets my support.
- Sega gets a extra bonus. (Who cares what they do to Sonic.)

Win-Win-Win

:p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
TouchMyBox said:
Really, a 50% decrease in vertical resolution is pretty significant. This ain't no halo 3 640 lines vs 720 lines thing, it's 480 lines versus 240 lines.
You are not seeing a decrease in vertical resolution from 480 -> 240, it is intended that the two frames of 240 lines create a single frame with a horizontal resolution of 480. You might as well argue that CRT's have a horizontal resolution of 1 because they only draw one line at a time.
The problem isn't a loss of resolution but a loss in image clarity especially when the image has to be de-interlaced to be displayed on a display that requires progressive scan.

TheGrayGhost said:
I was speaking broadly about "high-octane" action games. I played three solid hours of Left 4 Dead and GoW 2 several weeks ago to decide if I should buy a second console, and I was surprised at how much of an attention span is needed to play these games. That is to say, there is so little to do that I find it hard to focus. I kept asking, "How do I have fun?"

You had to ask how to have fun with Left 4 Dead? I mean, it's the console version (harrumph), but still.

Ulairi

Banned
Mamesj said:
I love it when the game journos flip out and say how nuts people are if they're skeptical of reviews. Gerstman-gate, "oscar-worthy," Assassin's Creed + other review embargos while one 9.0+ review goes up elsewhere -- these are reasons to be skeptical.

though no, I don't think Rupert Murdoch himself is holding a gun to Matt C.'s head. I'm just saying, there's some cause to worry.

There is no such thing as a games journalists, and that is more true with the enthusiasts press. there are game critics. I don't believe Gesterman got fired because of that review. He has a long history of poorly written and reasoned reviews, that may have been the straw to break the back but it is very hard in California just to FIRE someone with no documentation. For just legal reasons. firing someone without cause is a quick way to a law suit.

Top Bottom