• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "NBA Live 2005 cements EA as the premier developer for true sim sports games."

DMczaf

Player Hater: NBA Live 2005
Can EA's new baller convert this Sega lover?

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/550/550443p1.html

A few years back, many EA sports games weren't viewed with very high esteem. Sure, Madden sold through the roof, but it was becoming a derivative series heading into the new century. Triple Play was, well, total crap the last few years of its existence. Though sales were ridiculously high, the quality of EA's sports games a few years back was passable, but no longer brilliant. Over the past few years EA has made a major effort to improve all of its sports franchises. It began in earnest with NCAA Football 2003 and continued with the first MVP Baseball and major improvements to Madden. This year, along with Madden's brilliant defensive approach, NBA Live 2005 cements EA as the premier developer for true sim sports games.

Argue if you want, I know many still love Sega. Hell, I still love Sega. NFL 2K5 is a great game, but Sega has begun to incorporate more arcade elements into their games. The two companies are slowly switching roles, which is bizarre, but may result in some of the greatest sports games ever made over the next few years from both publishers. EA has the benefit of huge dollars, which allows for an evolution of its games, where Sega is more of, well, just struggling to keep its head above water.

If you are a big fan of the NBA 2K series, feel free to stick with it. That is in no way a bad choice. You've have to go with your horse, right? But if you've been disillusioned by basketball sims the past few years, you may want to peep in on NBA Live 2005, which ships next Tuesday. While the graphics and animations may not blow you away, the gameplay likely will. Even if you don't fall in love with Live, you'll still have the awesome Slam Dunk Contest to fall back on. That's a game in and of itself.

We'll have a final verdict on NBA Live 2005 next week.

:D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"A few years back, many EA sports games weren't viewed with very high esteem. Sure, Madden sold through the roof, but it was becoming a derivative series heading into the new century."

What? o_O

People have always bent over for EA when it comes to their sports games.

Ramirez

Awesome,I have really high hopes for the game this year and from everything I've seen/read its looks like they might actually make a good basketball game this year,cuz NO ONE's been able to do it the past few years.

Future

---------------
---------------

Madden always got its props becausen it kept reproducing a winning formula, but I think NBA Live has been a joke ever since it hit the 3D systems. It's just that ShootOut, NBA in the Zone, and company were so much worse that b-ball fans had no choice but to go Live for awhile.

NBA2k was the first breath of fresh air for a looong time. I don't know what the hell happened to VC over the years with b-ball

bionic77

Future said:
---------------
---------------

Madden always got its props becausen it kept reproducing a winning formula, but I think NBA Live has been a joke ever since it hit the 3D systems. It's just that ShootOut, NBA in the Zone, and company were so much worse that b-ball fans had no choice but to go Live for awhile.

NBA2k was the first breath of fresh air for a looong time. I don't know what the hell happened to VC over the years with b-ball

I agree, Live has pretty much always sucked, but since Sega has decided to totally fuck up the 2k series, Live may be the only option available to me. :(

DMczaf

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=96956&page=2

How does the AI player speed feel? Do you notice a big difference now that the supposed "AI catch-up" bug has been fixed? Is it easier to play inside-out, swing the ball around the perimeter, etc? Thanks a ton man.

Yes, you can swing it around the perimeter and if they double down low you can pop it out for the 3 ball. The one thing that bothered me last year was the constant double teaming down low. They have fixed this issue.

From what you have played so far, have you seen the CPU move the ball around in the halfcourt set including any mid-range jumpers?

Thanks in advance

Yes, they definitely do this. Of course they don't do it as often as I'd like to see, but it's better than last year. They do take the midrange jumpers tho, something you didn't see much of at all last year.

How is the defensive AI, does the computer play smart in Superstar as opposed to cheating like it kinda did last year?

Also how about the offensive AI, does the computer get the bal to their stars, and do they play fairly realistically, and move the ball around etc?

I haven't tried Superstar yet, I'm still playing around on All-Star and getting it handed to me actually. I'm not hitting my midrange shots like I'd like to, but it's coming around.

Yes, the AI gets the ball to the stars more often than not. They do work the ball around as well. Sometimes even working the clock down to only a few seconds left before taking a shot.

I haven't seen the CPU run many plays at all. I have seen the Heat setup for an alleyoop to Shaq after a TO. All in all tho, so far I haven't seen the CPU AI run too many plays at all. The AI looks to find the open man for the shot and/or slash to the hole.

There is the baseline low, baseline high, press box, sideline and center court camera views. You can zoom in and out on them as well. Not sure if you can do that on all views, but I do remember some of them had that option.

Last year it was all about the pro hop. It was way too effective, this year that has been toned down, you really have to pick your spots on when to use it. If you use it at the wrong time, you either lose the ball, get whistled for an offensive foul, or sometimes get lucky and draw the foul against the defense. I'm really loving that right now. Sometimes you'll see flops and the either lose the ball or go up and dunk it on someones grill.

Sliding is there, but IMHO it's been toned down. I'll still see it, but it isn't quite as obvious as it was last year. I mean, you definitely see it, don't get me wrong. It's just better this year. I'll get movie clips up over the weekend.

I think the offensive rebounding is sort of high on the AI side of the ball, but that is more my fault than anything. Sometimes rebounds will be coming off the rim, I jump and I completely miss it. Tip ins are really nicely done. You'll see some tip ins that miss the mark and if you don't box out and grab the board yourself, the AI will be a Dennis Rodman on you tipping the ball up to the rim.

I have only seen 1 dunk tip in and it was a thing of beauty.

I must admit of all things that actually stood out, it's been the steal animation. It's sooooooooo nice to watch Billups swipe in and take it away from Iverson when he's trying to cross him up.

Not to confuse the actual steal button animation, but when it actually kicks into the steal animation that actually steals the ball, it's absolutely jaw dropping.

There are varied jumpshots, but they are situational based. Depending on where the defender is...if you are fading away, leaning, etc. Tipins are definitely not easy, I haven't had much luck yet, lol. I've had a few tho, I definitely wouldn't say they are "Last Year Pro Hop Easy".

pilonv1

I think the offensive rebounding is sort of high on the AI side of the ball, but that is more my fault than anything.

What is it with basketball games and stupidly high numbers of offensive rebounds? Inside Drive has been the only one recently that it's been difficult to get them consistently.

DMczaf

nbalive2005xbox198.jpg
nbalive2005xbox197.jpg
nbalive2005xbox196.jpg
nbalive2005xbox192.jpg
nbalive2005xbox190.jpg
nbalive2005xbox188.jpg
nbalive2005xbox187.jpg
nbalive2005xbox184.jpg
nbalive2005xbox183.jpg

Top Bottom