• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'll think twice before trying to capture video of lightning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Northeast Ohio got his by a freak thunderstorm yesterday that lasted no longer than 15 minutes. So what was the first thing I did? I ran and got my camera.

The aftermath was ridiculous. Our power was out for a few hours but later that night we found that it knocked our street lights out, too. The last time they were out was during the 2003 blackout.

It rocked Cleveland:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — More than 11,000 customers in Cleveland and eastern suburbs remain without power this morning after brief but wild thunderstorms Monday afternoon.

More than 50,000 FirstEnergy customers were without power as of 7:30 p.m. last night, company spokesman Chris Eck said. As of 8:37 a.m., most had their power restored.

He said crews were out working today in Cleveland, East Cleveland, Maple Heights, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights and Warrensville Heights.

He hoped all power would be restored by midnight.

"We had very heavy straight line winds come through and knock down many trees," Eck said. "In those areas, wires tend to run behind the houses so access to them can be difficult. We are fixing the lines that affect the most customers first and working our way down from there."

The storm, which passed over dowtown Cleveland around 3 p.m., appeared to be heading southeast. First Energy officials said winds of 70 mph were reported.

The storm dumped about a half-inch of rain and extinguished the humid heat wave in downtown Cleveland, which also was pelted with penny-sized hail.

Small clip of my footage during the high wind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9e55smRHs
Hail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTBDx7snsQ
More hail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELsYt2GIn3M

I'm still rolling and lightning hits behind my house. Scares the SHIT outta me (you can see me freeze up :lol) My ears were ringing the whole day because the thunderclap was so loud. The first time in my life I was actually scared. I dunno what I would have done had I seen the actual bolt of lightning. I've never been outside during a close lightning strike and what I experienced was truly frighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsXQiX8BGC4

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
you still have a home?

JoeBoy101

MIMIC said:
Scares the SHIT outta me

13zbgwg.jpg

I was on my front porch once during a storm [electricity was out] and a bolt struck maybe five hundred feet out from where I was sitting, directly in my line of sight. It was bright and super loud. I went back inside after that.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It was because you filmed the storm that the power went out. You are to blame. Feel shame.
I've always liked storms, when I was living in florida I was always that weird guy who was hoping for a hurricane to hit the school while I was there.

MisterHero

Cool was anything hit? I had a tree in my backyard get split in half by lightning once

shuri said:
MIMIC is like a real life version of the Flander kids, I swear.
His freakin ears!

Jibril said:
Whoa, American houses are huge.
They're nice but if you live in a small family they're kind of a hassle to maintain. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
R2D4 said:
So I take it Ohio doesn't have many thunderstorms?

Nah. We get them all the time. It's rare they they're this bad, though. And they're NEVER as brief as the one yesterday.

usea

The video doesn't make it seem like that close of a strike. I've had lightning strike a tree and mobile home about 200 feet away while I was standing outside. It was nuts, but I didn't feel that scared by it. Everything was blue and my neck/arm hair stood up.

Dementia

It's even more fun when you're in a sailboat during a squall like that.

A few years ago I was sailing my boat into the dock when a really nasty squall hit. The water in the harbor started foaming up like crazy, and as we walking the boat up the ramp baseball size hail (i've got pictures of it somewhere) started coming down, and the wind soon started gusting at 70+mph. You could also tell by the nearby flagpoles that the wind direction was oscillating quite a bit. A little ways down the harbor from me this happened:
Marblehead-Boats-1-lrg.jpg

A couple of my friends said they saw a small tornado touch down.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I've seen lightning strike about 40-50 feet away from me hitting a electrical pole. The only thing I remember is that it looked like the flash was a green color. I'm sure the color had something to do with the box exploding. It was like a giant camera taking a flash picture. The shit happened too fast to actually process the incident. The good thing was it knocked out the power to the building which led to a half day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom