• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm about to get back in the Silent Hill seat... I need some advice...

Vieo

I've already beaten the first Silent Hill, but I didn't bother picking up a PS2 until late this gen. Should I just get Silent Hill 4, or should I try to get Silent Hill 2 and 3 first? (assuming you need them to make sense of 4's story)

teiresias

Play SH3 first, while the story of SH1 is still fresh in your mind, as SH3 is a direct sequel to SH1. Then play SH2, because it is the best Silent Hill game (IMO). Of course, I've not played SH4, so I have no opinion on it yet.

Solid

SolidSnakex said:
Go with SH3 next since its story connects to SH1, then you can move onto either SH2 or SH4.
^What he said.

But go with SH2 after SH3. SH4 is quite different from what I've heard. It might be best to play through the awesome Silent Hill 2 before that :)

Vieo

Did you get the good or good+ ending in SH1? It's important to see either ending before playing SH3.

The first Silent Hill didn't make much sense to me.

Man crashes car, daughter disappears.
Man runs into sheriff. Sheriff gives man gun.
Man goes looking around for daughter.
Man finds sexy nurse.
Sexy nurse's face melts away.
Man gets attacked by some sort of glowing angel.
Angel dies and leaves behind baby which is man's daughter?

Silent Hill made as much sense to me as Parasite Eve. :D

Was that the bad ending? And wasn't there a UFO ending? Was that one a joke?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Most of those points get somewhat explained in SH3. SH3 is a good game, but it suffers from being WAY too linear. Also heather has some very strange reactions and it's hard to understand her sometimes. You can finish it in less than 10 hours your first time through no problem. The best things about #3 is the alternate worlds are extremely disturbing in spots, starting with the alternate office building.

SH2 was a bit lacking when it went to the alternate worlds, but it has the strongest story and it is still creepy, especially in the prison area.

On a side note, Lisa (the sexy nurse you meet in SH1) was not real. She was a real person at one time, but she died. What you were talking to was a figment of Allessa'a imagination, just like all the monsters were. Notice how she only appears in the dark world? It won't be the last time you meet a character that's not real ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, you should first read through the plot guide on Gamefaqs. It is an interesting read, and although much of it is speculation, it will at least get you thinking about the game. After that, play Silent Hill 3. It is a very short game and is also the direct sequel to SH1.

After that, you should go for Silent Hill 2. That happens to be my very favorite in the series. Finally, go for SH4.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Here's a question I have about Silent Hill 3, having just finished it once through. Although I haven't gotten this particular ending, I read about it elsewhere.

Why would forgiving Claudia (in the confession booth) be an essential element of getting the ending where you end up possessed and killing Douglas? Wouldn't forgiveness be a good thing, and less nurturing to that thing growing inside you?

I figure I'll play through again to get that ending, but it will take a while since there's about an hour between the save at the plot fork and the end in my game.

cvxfreak

I always wondered that myself, Darth Woo.

Anyway, play Silent Hill 3, then Silent Hill 2, and then Silent Hill 4 in that order. Technically, Silent Hill 4 is the sequel to both SH3 AND SH4 as SH4 is essentially backstory to both those titles with a dose of its own plot.

aku:jiki

DarthWoo said:
Why would forgiving Claudia (in the confession booth) be an essential element of getting the ending where you end up possessed and killing Douglas? Wouldn't forgiveness be a good thing, and less nurturing to that thing growing inside you?
I always thought it was because Claudia is asking God's forgiveness, not Heather's. So answering in God's place would be kinda loony, wouldn't it? I don't know, something like that.

DarthWoo said:
Here's a question I have about Silent Hill 3, having just finished it once through. Although I haven't gotten this particular ending, I read about it elsewhere.

I figure I'll play through again to get that ending, but it will take a while since there's about an hour between the save at the plot fork and the end in my game.

Claudia was really too far gone to be forgiven. I think that was the reason why forgiving her has that consequence. The stuff you have to do other than that (killing alot and getting injured alot) coupled with your acceptance of all the evil things Claudia had done up till that point feeds the thing inside of you. It's kind of the full change of Heather essentially. Having the urge to kill, feeling invincible and forgiving those that are just too far gone (as shown later because Claudia was never really sorry about what she'd done). So by that time it was more of you accepting and agreeing with what she'd done rather than forging it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
By the way, for those that have played both SH2 and SH4...take note of the newspaper clipping near the trash shute along the outside wall of the apartment complex in Silent Hill 2. The person being discussed in that article is named "Walter Sullivan".

Docpan

SH3 is the best one.

I'm currently playing SH4, and not enjoying it at all. It's definitely the worst one.

The first two are also great, but obviously the graphics of the first now look like trash, so the scare factor will be kicked down a lot.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
By the way, for those that have played both SH2 and SH4...take note of the newspaper clipping near the trash shute along the outside wall of the apartment complex in Silent Hill 2. The person being discussed in that article is named "Walter Sullivan".

Yeah, what he said.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
teiresias said:
Play SH3 first, while the story of SH1 is still fresh in your mind, as SH3 is a direct sequel to SH1. Then play SH2, because it is the best Silent Hill game (IMO). Of course, I've not played SH4, so I have no opinion on it yet.
He speaks the truth.

way more

Off subject a little but I just bought Silent Hill 3 for the pc. It was 10 bucks and I'm having no complaints about using a mouse to navigate, the controlls always seemed rough anyways.

Now that Silent Hil 4 is out I guess I have to buy another playstation.

cvxfreak

mac said:
Off subject a little but I just bought Silent Hill 3 for the pc. It was 10 bucks and I'm having no complaints about using a mouse to navigate, the controlls always seemed rough anyways.

Silent Hill 4 is also on PC, and out right now. It's even cheaper than the console games, too.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
mac said:

Having a Playstation to USB controller adapter is a joy.

Top Bottom