• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm thinking of buying a GC (again) ...

mumu

I sold my GC and games about 5 months ago, simply wasn't playing it anymore and i was getting the feeling that there is not much life left in the system anymore anyway. Now PM2 is really tempting me :/ Also the new Starfox footage looks great, i absolutely loved Starfox64 (Lylat Wars). Don't care much for MP2 or RE4, but a lot for Zelda obviously (although it might end up on Revolution). Also looking forward to Killer7.

I'm also interested in Mario Tennis if it's some nice multiplayer fun. Me and two friends are Virtua Tennis nuts, we played it like no other game, we're easily among the best 100 Virtua Tennis player games in the world ;) However it's time for some fresh air.

So worth buying another little cube just for those few games? I don't know how much longer i can resist PM2 :/

Speevy

Banned
If you're willing to sell a console on a whim, then you should be able to buy one just the same. As for me, my money tree is limited to Animal Crossing.

Until trading 5 games towards an Xbox today, I had 40 gamecube games. There are people here who have more I think...

The diamonds might not be as obvious from the rough as they were on N64, but there really are some great games on it, and it's still my favourite system out of the three I have so far. And they're dirt cheap, I can see why you're tempted. It'll cost you less than the worth of two games to get one again second hand.

I highly recommend PAL Donkey Konga. Other games I have and love: Beyond Good & Evil, Eternal Darkness, F Zero GX, Mario Kart Double Dash!!, Super Monkey Ball, Super Monkey Ball 2, Metroid Prime, Phantasy Star Online I & II, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Melee, Tales of Symphonia, Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, Timesplitters 2, Viewtiful Joe.

I don't know what you had, or what games out of those I listed you would like, but they all get play from me once in a while.

For the future, I'm mostly excited about: Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Starfox Armada, Killer 7, Resident Evil 4, and The Legend of Zelda (even if I do hate the style... my avatar is sad! See!!??)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mumu said:
I sold my GC and games about 5 months ago, simply wasn't playing it anymore and i was getting the feeling that there is not much life left in the system anymore anyway. Now PM2 is really tempting me :/ Also the new Starfox footage looks great, i absolutely loved Lylat Wars. Don't care much for MP2 or RE4, but a lot for Zelda obviously (although it might end up on Revolution). Also looking forward to Killer7.

I'm also interested in Mario Tennis if it's some nice multiplayer fun. Me and two friends are Virtua Tennis nuts, we played it like no other game, we're easily among the best 100 Virtua Tennis player games in the world ;) However it's time for some fresh air.

So worth buying another little cube just for those few games? I don't know how much longer i can resist PM2 :/

No one can answer what is "worth buying" for you. You need to make the decision yourself, of what you want, and what you're willing to spend money for. :/

Firest0rm

radioheadrule83 said:
Until trading 5 games towards an Xbox today, I had 40 gamecube games. There are people here who have more I think...

The diamonds might not be as obvious from the rough as they were on N64, but there really are some great games on it, and it's still my favourite system out of the three I have so far. And they're dirt cheap, I can see why you're tempted. It'll cost you less than the worth of two games to get one again second hand.

I highly recommend PAL Donkey Konga.

I'm mostly excited about: Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Starfox Armada, Killer 7, Resident Evil 4, and The Legend of Zelda (even if I do hate the style... my avatar is sad! See!!??)

Did you get a XBox for free for the 5 games!? Or did still ahve to pay part of it?

I traded a GBA SP in too. Paid about £20 to get the box and Riddick. Then another £20 for Halo. They werent good games so I don't feel ripped off or anything.

mumu

The thing is was kinda finished with Nintendo for the current generation. One less system to worry/think about. Now if i get a cube again i'm back in, anticipating releases, watching game footage and whatnot. I wish they'd sell a PM2 bundle. I'd buy that, play through the game, and then sell the bundle for a probably good price. And the same thing with Zelda a year later :/

Solid

itsover.gif

Take that as a no.

Spike

GCN = Xbox > PS2 for me.

Just a little bit better than the PS2, mind you.

They all have some amazing games on them. I can't live without my fix of Metroid, Zelda, Mario, DK and the like. So a Nintendo console is a no-brainer. If I didn't already own a Cube at this point, I would be buying one for MP2, Zelda, StarFox, RE4, DK Jungle Beat and Fire Emblem.

NWO

mumu said:
I sold my GC and games about 5 months ago, simply wasn't playing it anymore and i was getting the feeling that there is not much life left in the system anymore anyway. Now PM2 is really tempting me :/ Also the new Starfox footage looks great, i absolutely loved Starfox64 (Lylat Wars). Don't care much for MP2 or RE4, but a lot for Zelda obviously (although it might end up on Revolution). Also looking forward to Killer7.

If you don't buy a Cube now your just going to have to buy one when Starfox comes out. That game is easily going to be a must buy title.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, do you own only a PS2 or Xbox now? What's your current stance on consoles?

A Gamecube is worth owning in any event, but not if you're going to have to give up a PS2 to get it imho.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hardly worth it at this point, unless you're absolutely mad about zelda. the current mario kart bundle is a really good deal, though. i don't expect a much better one to come along until the gc is well and truly dead. i expect starfox to turn out badly. and did you ever play the n64 mario tennis? i love camelot's golf games, but their take on tennis isn't particularly...good.

mumu

Amir0x said:
Well, do you own only a PS2 or Xbox now? What's your current stance on consoles?
Most of my gaming is PC (not much) and GBA now. Well i kinda own a PS2 by proxy because some of my friends do and i quite often play on their PS2, mostly multiplayer though. I've been actually thinking about getting a PStwo now, because games like SMT can only be played alone. Anyway this is not necessarily a PStwo or GC decission, it might be both, but probably not. The problem is that i really want to play PM2! :/

Amir0x

Banned
mumu said:
Most of my gaming is PC and GBA now. Well i kinda own a PS2 by proxy because some of my friends do and i quite often play on their PS2, mostly multiplayer though. I've been actually thinking about getting a PStwo now, because games like SMT can only be played alone. Anyway this is not necessarily a PStwo or GC decission, it might be both, but probably not.

Well, I guess that narrows it somewhat. I could best help you decide if you told me what genres you like, but I can put it best this way:

PS2 has the best third party support by far. This really isn't a big competition here. Developers make more games for the system and they know they can sell their niche titles here. So you get games like Katamari Damacy, Shin Megami Tensei, Digital Devil Saga, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Magic Pengel and others, along with most other major third party franchises such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy.

But Gamecube has Nintendo. And there's no denying the power of a Nintendo game. So it comes down to just how many developers you feel Nintendo is worth, or if you simply plan on getting few console games this generation all of which are made by Nintendo. If you think Nintendo is worth say 10 good developers, then maybe you'll decide to go with Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube has the big ones like Star Fox, Zelda, Metroid (although you don't care about that, you said) and Mario. These are tried and true franchises, and you can almost guarantee something good will come from them.

But is Nintendo enough to outweigh the undeniable power of the PS2 third party support, not to mention the increasing talents of PS2s second/first party developers (i.e. Gran Turismo, Jak III/Ratchet and Clank:UYA, ICO, Wanda and Collossus)? I don't know. In my opinion, PS2 wins.

Phoenix

I've got a gamecube, hardly used with a couple of games like sunshine, zelda, metroid, and a couple of others. Name your price over PM and its yours (if the price is reasonable). I'll pay for shipping.

This is not a joke.

mumu

seismologist said:
just get an N64. It has Most of the same games but better.
I have a N64 (although it's collecting dust somewhere) :) And i agree. I'm a big WaveRace fan, but was kinda dissapointed when i played Blue Storm, same with SMS. Anyway i basically bought my cube for Ikaruga, Zelda:WW, VJ and Pikmin. Never really liked MP so much.

Phoenix, thanks but i already played most old games, i'm only interested in new ones now :)

I'd say go for it, Paper Mario 2 is pretty awesome from what I've played of it thusfar. Though I'm not that far, with a lot of games on my plate and not much time to play them. Don't forget Fire Emblem, if you've played the GBA version released here you should know how good the series is.

Combine those with the games you mentioned, and it should be worth getting the bundle or just buying a used Cube for cheap.

mumu

I decided to get both, but limit myself to PM2, Starfox (unless it sucks) and Zelda no matter what happens.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Of all the consoles, the GC is the only one I have two of, and hardly touch either. As far as straight gaming, the PS2 gets the most play time (now).

XBOX gets the most all around love only because it's modded.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
If you are thinking about buying one you may as well take the plunge. They are very inexpensive. Plus the latest bundle (Gamecube, Mario Kart DD, 2 controllers) is a steal IMO.

Top Bottom